daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > City Talk

City Talk Local talk, activities, websites, etc...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: .....................
Manchester 185 53.94%
Birmingham 158 46.06%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 19th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #121
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2895

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNGCats View Post
Have a read back.

It's a shame only after some people highlight these stupid name calling - as JRB was doing - that it gets the attention of many on here.

It's VERY rare you here any complaints about when Manchester is being called a Milltown isn't it? Only when JRB highlights it with the tongue in check reference to the Slave Port do the comments start.
And yes it was 'tongue in check'. Ask Yosh, the long gone Tony Sebo and other Liverpool forum members who have got used to my posts. I have nothing against Liverpool or Liverpudlians.

Compare and contrast that to Awayo's post that started all this s*** off. F*** me, I've lost count of the amount of times he's posted similar garbage over the years.(it's not original anymore) If he doesn't like Manchester and everything it stands for, then fair enough, but we got his message years ago, yet he's still banging on about it to this day. It's a disease and a f***ing lifetime crusade.

This thread is about Birmingham and Manchester and not the s***(see below) that he continually posts at every given opportunity.

Quote:
Once the government dictated plantation of further tax-funded media into a failure (justified by the previous plantation's failure) comes to fruition that is.

But yes for boards sake, Glasgow craps on even Birmingham (no charmer but at least with some kind of locally generated economy that derives from its citizen's skills and ingenuity) let alone Manchester ffs from orbit. Around another star.

With Liverpool, the only city stranded on Great Britain aside from London. Not that's any boast. Yookay sucks. Its state makes "regional capitals" out of the most dreadful mill towns - because they are mill towns of course. But two place in this country, when the state's grip wasn't so throttling, were places, real places. And if it weren't for colonial rule from Whitehall still would be.

Everything else is a village full of rednecks. And yes sadly I am entirely right.
If he's got nothing constructive to add to this thread which doesn't concern Liverpool, why doesn't he stay off it and f*** off back to the Liverpool forum or back to the Liverpool V Leeds thread.

Once again a thread involving Manchester has been brought down by the Scouse agenda, perpetuated by a select few. F*** off!

Last edited by jrb; May 19th, 2011 at 04:55 PM.
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 19th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #122
Required

Likes (Received): 68

Last edited by Required; July 9th, 2014 at 08:55 PM.
Required no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #123
Isaac Newell

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuxTex View Post
Me too. You do know the size of an American city block, don't you? You're usually quite rational and, sometimes, quite objective. Please don't spoil it.
We could go on about the size of blocks forever. But it still won't make it take more than 5 minutes to get past all those "skyscrapers". It's nothing to do with being subjective or objective and nothing to do with the size of blocks.

Boston has a smaller centre than Manchester.
Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #124
LNGCats

Likes (Received): 326

Been to Manc, Liverpool and Boston.

Manc has by far the largest city centre of the three.

not sure how this relates to Dibgys comments other than Sloyne seems fixated with comparing Manchester to some yank city at every oppurtunity.
LNGCats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #125
EuxTex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
Once again a thread involving Manchester has been brought down by the Scouse agenda, perpetuated by a select few. F*** off!
Once again, your assumption that Manchester has a claim to "second city" status is, to say the least, spurious and totally arrogant. I would place Edinburgh, Belfast and Cardiff, in that order, above any other UK cities. Also, second, in anyones books is an also-ran. So, in that context, yeah, maybe.
EuxTex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #126
Isaac Newell

I'm not to sure about Liverpool's centre because it is a different shape to Manchester.

It has very long streets going down to the river which remind me of places like Bishopsgate or areas on the edge of the City of London, like Aldgate.

the long streets can make it feel bigger, and from the ferry, the riverfront buildings make Liverpool look huge. However it is very easy to stray from big scale to small scale in Liverpool whereas in Manchester although the streets feel shorter, it takes longer to stray out of the larger buildings.
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #127
LNGCats

Sloyne - you need to take that point up with Digby Jones - it was him, a Brummie that started this discussion but still, why would one of the scouse crowd with the vendeture against Manchester ever let a simple fact like that get in the way of some good old Manc bashing eh?

Take a look on the Brum forum (below the Manchester one where you hang out all the time), they clearly are discussing it and not because any Manc raised it as an issue.
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #128
yoshef
I like beer.

Likes (Received): 434

Quote:
Been to Manc, Liverpool and Boston.

Manc has by far the largest city centre of the three.

not sure how this relates to Dibgys comments other than Sloyne seems fixated with comparing Manchester to some yank city at every oppurtunity.

Doesn't Liverpool city centre occupy more area than Manchester's inner ring road?
yoshef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #129
albionfagan

Likes (Received): 554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Knight View Post
As I recall, Bristol was the more important port in the slavery era, surely? Liverpool's heyday came a little later.
Both were important ports involved in the slave trade, it's not really an era I'm that knowledgeable about but I would say Liverpool was probably as important if not the most important slaving port. It's not something which should concern anyone, I doubt there's any relatives of slave traders still in the city and if there was it's not exactly their fault. Slavery was something which the whole country benefitted from and naturally ports on the West of the UK were going to be heavily involved.

Amsterdam is probably the most famous 'slave-port', and New York...London too.
albionfagan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #130
EuxTex
BANNED

Quote:
you need to take that point up with Digby Jones - it was him, a Brummie that started this discussion but still, why would one of the scouse crowd with the vendeture against Manchester ever let a simple fact like that get in the way of some good old Manc bashing eh?

Take a look on the Brum forum (below the Manchester one where you hang out all the time), they clearly are discussing it and not because any Manc raised it as an issue.
Please point out my "Manc bashing" in this thread. And please don't confuse correction or discourse and/or difference of opinion, as "Manc bashing".

Last edited by EuxTex; May 19th, 2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #131
albionfagan

Manchester's city centre is bigger than Liverpool's, although I'm not sure by how much. The thing with Liverpool's 'centre' is that much of it is barely seen by the majority of people, if you don't work in the banking/commerical industries of Liverpool then you'd probably never go to that area of town, leaving only the rump of the docks/retail places to go down which might make it seem smaller than it is.
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #132
EuxTex
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Newell View Post
We could go on about the size of blocks forever. But it still won't make it take more than 5 minutes to get past all those "skyscrapers". It's nothing to do with being subjective or objective and nothing to do with the size of blocks.

Boston has a smaller centre than Manchester.
OK, if you're are visiting Boston on a cruise ship and you dock at the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal, which is considered to be part of the city centre and, you decide to walk to Filenes on Washington Street, the two miles or so would take you considerably longer to walk than five minutes. The route would take you past a lot of those skyscrapers pictured in the link I posted.
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #133
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 701

Quote:
Originally Posted by kids View Post
Manchester has a new (struggling) economy.
Which it owes entirely to the UK state. That is my major point.

Although, to be more accurate, Manchester isn't yet post industrial. Some of its own industries still exist although, like in Birmingham, they are in decline.

London owes its overwhelming economic domination over the rest of the UK to the state, resultiing from the government being based there. As the state has grown, so has London.

You're right about Sloyne however.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #134
Isaac Newell

Quote:
OK, if you're are visiting Boston on a cruise ship and you dock at the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal, which is considered to be part of the city centre and, you decide to walk to Filenes on Washington Street, the two miles or so would take you considerably longer to walk than five minutes. The route would take you past a lot of those skyscrapers pictured in the link I posted.
I invite anyone to google earth that and consider it the city centre.
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #135
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2895

Quote:
Once again, your assumption that Manchester has a claim to "second city" status is, to say the least, spurious and totally arrogant. I would place Edinburgh, Belfast and Cardiff, in that order, above any other UK cities. Also, second, in anyones books is an also-ran. So, in that context, yeah, maybe.
And that is why nobody on this forum takes you seriously or takes a blind bit of notice of you.

But just to humour you.

Out of these 4 posts from the city bashing thread and the second city thread, where did I state in your own words.....

Quote:
Once again, your assumption that Manchester has a claim to "second city" status

Quote:
Digby is the dude.

He may be a little behind the times, but he's hit the nail firmly on it's head.

I'm sure once he and we finally see the secret plans for Sports City and East Manchester, he will all but throw in the towel and the half eaten block of Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate in his jacket pocket.

Saying that, Brum has got the NEC, which will always trump what Manchester has to offer in that respect. It does a better Balti as well.

Quote:
It's all about perception and the way both cities have been and are currently perceived.

That's what Digby is getting at.

Each city has it's own merits, but one of those cities, rightly or wrongly, is perceived to be forging ahead faster than the other one. (in various sectors or overall)

Quote:
Agreed James.

People underestimate the impact of the BBC's pressence in Salford.(Manchester)

The worlds most famous and respect media organisation based in Salford.(Manchester)

Quote:
Why is it that the 'usual suspects' always have to sit on one side of the seesaw?

TBH the Manc and Brum forum members have no history of bashing, and when the said question comes around once again, which it inevitably does, it's usually followed by a fair and sensible debate.

Compare and contrast that to the bitch fest and sniping from the 'usual suspects' from down the road, that normally follows the word 'Manchester'. Tut, tut.
So go on Sloyne, show me where I said Manchester is the 2nd city or where I assumed Manchester should be the 2nd city.

As has been pointed out to you, Digby brought the subject up, and we are discussing it. End of.

You on the other hand are just being your usual cuntish self.

BTW. Do you remember the Last time you misquoted me? Obviously you don't learn from your mistakes.

On a serious note. You must have at least one air passenger that needs rerouting from Manchester Airport. Why don't you send them to the second city airport?
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #136
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 819

It's like two bald men fighting over a comb, except a third bald man has decided to get invovled where it doesn't concern him, and the comb doesn't even exist.
Cherguevara está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #137
albionfagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherguevara View Post
It's like two bald men fighting over a comb, except a third bald man has decided to get invovled where it doesn't concern him, and the comb doesn't even exist.

Haha. Great analogy.
Old May 19th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #138
LNGCats

Spot on Che.

With regards size of the city centre, someone please correct me if I am wrong but does Brum not have the most retail space whilst Manchester has the most office and residential space in the centre of town?

Both far and away above any other English city?

But yes, compared to most European cities they are both in a very poor state.
Old May 19th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #139
LNGCats

Sloyne - also please do not forget we have Granada Studio tours and Brum doesn't
Old May 19th, 2011, 06:08 PM   #140
kids

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awayo View Post
Which it owes entirely to the UK state. That is my major point.
I think there's probably a hint of truth in that, but I mean if you take companies like the Bank of New York and RBS, whilst they certainly helped, you cannot say that it is entirely the NWDA which secured them. These companies have to make money after all, and obviously they're doing that in Manchester otherwise they wouldn't be staying, even increasing their presence in the city.

To be honest I don't consider much of what you say because even if you did have a point you embelish it with these twisted notions of how parochial Mancunians, as a group, are. I think essentially you use your sense of politics to justify hating Mancunians, I can't take you seriously at all.
kids no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
birmingham