daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 9th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #241
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Indeed, both Portugal and Spain have now started to sign cities in neighbouring countries, Portugal starting from the new A4 extension which is partly finished. I'll find some photos, although from quite far away its still ESPANHA.

Heres one:

Puebla de Sanabira's in Spain, although the signs on the motorway in the distance still say ESPANHA, avoidance of double Spain as

This shows ESPANHA
Miranda do Douro
Zamora

Photos from Alberto C

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; November 9th, 2011 at 10:21 PM.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #242
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Germany has a lot of signs showing cities in neighbouring countries.

Here is one on the B419 federal road. The houses behind the trees are in Luxembourg.

Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #243
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Ah, the B419: constructed by Goebbels to give his panzers quick access to Lorraine. No wonder Metz and Thionville have always been signposted along the route
Old December 11th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #244
Vignole
e^(iπ)+1=0

Likes (Received): 479

Junction between C-66 and AP-7 in Catalonia, Spain. The owner of this sign is the Generalitat de Catalunya, so Perpignan is written in Catalan: Perpinyà.

Junction between C-25 and A-2. Because of the proximity with A-2 Autovia, the owner is the Spanish Ministerio de Fomento, so Perpignan is written in its official form.

Near to Figueres, Spanish sign. Trough N-II you'll read "França" in Catalan. But if you exit to AP-7 you'll go to Perpignan.

Few meters after the exit, "França" desapears and apears again Perpignan and La Jonquera.

But if you enter the roundabout from the Catalan road C-26 (old GIV-5128), you'll read Perpinyà.

Vignole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #245
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Some progress have been done, but it would've been better to write simply "Perpinyà (Perpignan) (F)". Good progress anyway ! Last time I went to Spain (May 2008), it said "Francia" everywhere except ... in the city of Zaragoza (where you could read "Pau" !!!). But still, the oval should be more widespread in Portugal, Spain, Belgium, the Netherlands & here in France, where you can see "SARAGOSSE" instead of "SARAGOSSE/ZARAGOZA (E)" or "GAND" instead of "GAND/GENT" (B) for instance.

Germany is not perfect either, especially on motorways. Just before Berlin, at the junction between A2 and A10 (Dreieck Werder I think), you have a roadsign that shows "Warschau"(instead of Warschau/Warszawa (PL)) to the right & "Stettin" (instead of Stettin/Szczecin straight) with no oval. No oval either for "Breslau/Wrocław", "Venlo", "Lüttich/Liège", Paris, Straßburg (should be Straßburg/Strasbourg (F) ) either. Only an oval seen towards Pilsen (CZ) (although they should've written "Pilsen/Plzeň (CZ)".

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

Last edited by GROBIN; December 12th, 2011 at 09:37 PM.
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #246
Foolish Farmer
Athleta Christi

Likes (Received): 4

once again: Republic of Kosovo

[img]http://i40.************/2bv9e1.jpg[/img]

Foolish Farmer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #247
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post

Some progress have been done, but it would've been better to write simply "Perpinyà (Perpignan) (F)". Good progress anyway ! Last time I went to Spain (May 2008), it said "Francia" everywhere except ... in the city of Zaragoza (where you could read "Pau" !!!). But still, the oval should be more widespread in Portugal, Spain, Belgium, the Netherlands & here in France, where you can see "SARAGOSSE" instead of "SARAGOSSE/ZARAGOZA (E)" or "GAND" instead of "GAND/GENT" (B) for instance.

the topic about using own language or the "official" language (that will be the one you will see on maps) is discused in other thread.

Nevertheless, the most important step is marking the city, not the country!!!!.

I've made the RN-134 / E-07 and no problem looking for Saragosse. First time I saw, I knew which direction marked.

About the city of Zaragoza, all signals you have seen are located INSIDE the city. The signals inside the city are done by the municipality. The signals on the motorway by the ministry (and except some exceptions on new roads, always pointing "Francia").

Zaragoza is "brothered" with several cities, one of them Pau... and the A-23/E-07 is pointed in anywhere of the city as "A-23 Huesca - Pau". Those signals are about four years old (or maybe five, but no more)

In the E-07, just before the entrance of Somport tunnel you can find the distances to Urdos, Oloron and Pau

http://maps.google.es/?ll=42.742884,...=12,54,,0,5.66

but some metres before, in the last cross before the tunnel you can choose between going left to "Francia por puerto, Canfranc estacion, Candanchú / Astún": France by mountain pass, Canfranc estacion (the name of the village), Candanchu / Astun (two important ski resorts, the first of them the oldest in Spain and only 1 km away from border) or... going strait on "Francia por túnel de Somport" (France by Somport tunnel). Here there is no confussion... tunnel is ahead!!!!

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 11:39 PM   #248
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

I know that part you're talking about as I've been several times to Oloron-Sainte-Marie, from where I drove to San Sebastián/Donostia, Pamplona/Iruña, Sos del Rey Católico & Madrid via Zaragoza. & I remember the sign at the entrance of the Somport tunnel. The only one from Spain that showed "OLORON-SAINTE-MARIE".

The funniest part was:
A) showing "LA PIEDRA SAN MARTÍN" at the A-137/N-240 crossroad ! (it standed for "LA PIERRE-SAINT-MARTIN"
B) getting out of Iruña/Pamplona, I suddenly felt awkward as I had ... "FRANCIA" to the right & "FRANCIA" to the left. First time I chose wrong (back through San Sebastián/Donostia & Hendaye), the second time, the GPS chose for me (driving during the night on these curvy roads on the Spanish side to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port would've been completely crazy).

Btw - I found the mountain roads MUCH BETTER on the Spanish side than on the French side. Wider, better signed, with less dangerous 180° curves! I felt as if France were a "old & tired" country ("vieux et fatigué", as one of our politicians told once about another )

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
the topic about using own language or the "official" language (that will be the one you will see on maps) is discused in other thread.
(...)
Which one ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish Farmer View Post
once again: Republic of Kosovo

[img]http://i40.************/2bv9e1.jpg[/img]

I think this way of signing (similar to HR & SLO ones) is the best option & should be chosen by the rest of Europe. Using only endonyms (like in Poland - where they should sign "Drezno/Dresden (D)" or "Wilno/Vilnius (LT)" and not only "Dresden (D)" or "Vilnius (LT)" alone, the Czech Republic - where they should sign "VRATISLAV/WROCŁAW (PL)" & not only "WROCŁAW (PL)" or Slovakia, where they should sign "REŠOV/RZESZÓW (PL)" instead of "RZESZOW (PL)") or only exonyms is insufficient & ... less attractive for tourists

A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

Last edited by GROBIN; December 12th, 2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old December 14th, 2011, 11:58 AM   #249
Vignole
e^(iπ)+1=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
I think this way of signing (similar to HR & SLO ones) is the best option & should be chosen by the rest of Europe. Using only endonyms (like in Poland - where they should sign "Drezno/Dresden (D)" or "Wilno/Vilnius (LT)" and not only "Dresden (D)" or "Vilnius (LT)" alone, the Czech Republic - where they should sign "VRATISLAV/WROCŁAW (PL)" & not only "WROCŁAW (PL)" or Slovakia, where they should sign "REŠOV/RZESZÓW (PL)" instead of "RZESZOW (PL)") or only exonyms is insufficient & ... less attractive for tourists
I totally agree.
Old December 14th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #250
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

I don't, using endonyms is suficient enough. Exonyms are spoken in general language, but they are not used (in most cases) on official documents and therefore they should not be used on signs as well. The only exemption I can point out is in the case of a bilingual city, that has more than one official language. Then those cities might be signed in both languages. Signs generally need to be readable and understandable even at high speeds and adding unnecessary information on it is not a good idea (not to mention additional costs of these solutions regarding the size of such a sign).
Old December 14th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #251
Vignole
e^(iπ)+1=0

Another example between Spain and France.

This is in Molló, in the Catalan road C-38. Espinavell is in Spain and Prats de Molló (Prats-de-Mollo-la-Preste) an Ceret (Céret) in France.

In the other side of the Col d'Ares, in Prats-de-Mollo-la-Preste. Camprodon and Ripoll are in Spain.

Old December 28th, 2011, 01:52 AM   #252
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

A96 at Lindau (D): Bregenz (A) together with two decals signed
This is the Dreiländereck ("Three countries region") at Lake Constance ...

Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 12:38 AM   #253
marmurr1916

Likes (Received): 104

Well obviously Ireland outdoes all other countries, since it's got the name of cities in a foreign country signposted in its capital city!

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=dublin&...27.74,,0,-3.93

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=dublin&...100.83,,1,1.32
marmurr1916 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 01:19 AM   #254
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2182

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmurr1916 View Post
Well obviously Ireland outdoes all other countries, since it's got the name of cities in a foreign country signposted in its capital city!

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=dublin&...27.74,,0,-3.93

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=dublin&...100.83,,1,1.32

We don't regard the North of Ireland as "foreign" and that is why cites are shown. Dublin is shown in the North too.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 02:20 AM   #255
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Indeed, alongside the historical-politcal reasons for that, there what many non-British or Irish would consider to be a rather strange relationship, legally, between the two countries, i.e Irish and British citizenship is pretty much the same thing, Irish people in the UK can vote and vice-versa.

Technically the British Government does really consider Commonwealth citizens to be foreign although they do not use the term in that case, hence the 'Foreign and Commonwealth Office' and my passport says 'Foreign or Commonwealth countries' or something like that, which is the opposite of the case with the Republic whose citizens are officially regarded as 'foreign' but not treated as such.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 05:17 AM   #256
Zach89

Likes (Received): 5156

ALGERIA

Yes, for Morocco :

At the border :

image hosted on flickr

SSCA
Zach89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 06:07 AM   #257
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmurr1916 View Post
That's very common, especially in small countries.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 10:52 AM   #258
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach89
Yes, for Morocco :

At the border :
Why signposting - even on new signs - when that border is closed?
Old January 1st, 2012, 03:36 PM   #259
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
Why signposting - even on new signs - when that border is closed?
Hope makes those signs live (from the French proverb: "l'espoir fait vivre")

Old January 1st, 2012, 07:19 PM   #260
Zach89

Likes (Received): 5156

Edit
Zach89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote