daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old August 7th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #321
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net
 
Palance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Palancedrecht, NL
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 277

Are there any countries in the world, which are not islands, which do not have any cities in other countries on their signs? AFAIK even an isolated country like North-Korea should have at least one sign for Seoul.
__________________
http://www.autosnelwegen.net/
Palance no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #322
x-type
con los terroristas
 
x-type's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bjelovar [HR]
Posts: 13,465
Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
Are there any countries in the world, which are not islands, which do not have any cities in other countries on their signs? AFAIK even an isolated country like North-Korea should have at least one sign for Seoul.
do you think that one could pass Korean border so easy? i even think it is prohibited.
__________________
Svaki dan sanjam autobahn...
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #323
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net
 
Palance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Palancedrecht, NL
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 277

I didn't write about the possibility of passing the border, just about signposting cities in neighbouring countries. Crossing borders is discussed in an other thread
__________________
http://www.autosnelwegen.net/
Palance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #324
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track
 
-Pino-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 706
Likes (Received): 127

Since both Koreas claim the entire peninsula, it would not be odd to find signs on either side of the border that ignore the DMZ. Comparable in a way to the state of denial in former West-Germany with its signs to towns well East of the Oder-Neisse line.

As to countries not signposting countries that it shares a land border with, I think that you will find countries that do not signpost cities. Even in countries like Spain, signs often turn to the name of the neighbouring country rather than the name of any city in the neighbouring country. Outside of Europe, I have seen signs being restricted to a reference to the border, e.g. "Friendship Bridge" around Vientiane in Laos to describe the bridge that crosses into Thailand. Crossing from Guatemala into Belize, I cannot even recall any signposting for the border. Signs went to the village sitting on the border and then the signs just stopped. Back from Belize into Guate was not much better.
__________________
http://www.brombeer.net/signs
-Pino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #325
cougar1989
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greiz (D)
Posts: 127
Likes (Received): 102

Had West Germany towns from East Germany (DDR) on there signs or only (West)Berlin?
Had East Germany towns from West Germany on there sings like München Transit BRD or only Tranist BRD?
At the internet I found only a picture with Transit VR Polen and Westberlin
__________________
Was in: A B CH CZ D F FL H HR I L NL PL SK SLO
Drove in: A B CH CZ D F FL H HR I L NL PL SK SLO
my Radio Transmitter Pictures

CSerpent, haddockman liked this post
cougar1989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #326
x-type
con los terroristas
 
x-type's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bjelovar [HR]
Posts: 13,465
Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
I didn't write about the possibility of passing the border, just about signposting cities in neighbouring countries. Crossing borders is discussed in an other thread
what would be purpose of signint Seoul in Pyongyang, if noone could reach it?


this sign from GDR is fantastic! can somebody post exact location?
__________________
Svaki dan sanjam autobahn...
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 12:39 AM   #327
cougar1989
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greiz (D)
Posts: 127
Likes (Received): 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type
this sign from GDR is fantastic! can somebody post exact location?
I think that is "Autobahndreieck Nuthetal".
http://goo.gl/maps/mfSEf
There is a picture from today
__________________
Was in: A B CH CZ D F FL H HR I L NL PL SK SLO
Drove in: A B CH CZ D F FL H HR I L NL PL SK SLO
my Radio Transmitter Pictures
cougar1989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 02:04 AM   #328
Corvinus
License plate spotter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: H / D / CH
Posts: 1,057
Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar1989 View Post
Had East Germany towns from West Germany on there sings like München Transit BRD or only Tranist BRD?
There were some such signs (named "Transit BRD / Nürnberg" or "Transit BRD: Frankfurt a.M."), but not many! They did not want local population (especially wanna-be defectors) to find their way easily.
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #329
cougar1989
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greiz (D)
Posts: 127
Likes (Received): 102

At GDR-Times there were Tranist CSSR Praha on the signs and Transit Westberlin, too.

At the Last Exit in GDR there were no western towns on the signs, only this:

GDR-People who couldn't travel to Westberlin or West Germany had to leave the motorway at the last exit
__________________
Was in: A B CH CZ D F FL H HR I L NL PL SK SLO
Drove in: A B CH CZ D F FL H HR I L NL PL SK SLO
my Radio Transmitter Pictures

CSerpent liked this post
cougar1989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #330
Zagor666
Motomaniac
 
Zagor666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Rumenka - Köln
Posts: 826
Likes (Received): 349

I like the old Rostock and Schwerin signs the old looks better anyway
Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #331
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,449
Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar1989 View Post
At GDR-Times there were Tranist CSSR Praha on the signs and Transit Westberlin, too.
Is the pavement made of concrete, like the first pre-war autobahnnen?
Why GDR had a lot of motorways while other commies countries didn't?
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #332
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

These signs look somehow Austrian.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #333
cougar1989
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greiz (D)
Posts: 127
Likes (Received): 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf
Is the pavement made of concrete, like the first pre-war autobahnnen?
It is from the German Wikipedia
The network initially only consisted of the former Reichsautobahnen. Only at the end of the 1950s the Government decided to build new connections. Partly, inferior building materials were used so that even new lines already were again in need of clean-up after a short time. Repairs were carried out often only partly due to lack of material.
Sorry, I translated it with Bing Translator
__________________
Was in: A B CH CZ D F FL H HR I L NL PL SK SLO
Drove in: A B CH CZ D F FL H HR I L NL PL SK SLO
my Radio Transmitter Pictures
cougar1989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #334
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net
 
Palance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Palancedrecht, NL
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino-
As to countries not signposting countries that it shares a land border with, I think that you will find countries that do not signpost cities. Even in countries like Spain, signs often turn to the name of the neighbouring country rather than the name of any city in the neighbouring country. Outside of Europe, I have seen signs being restricted to a reference to the border, e.g. "Friendship Bridge" around Vientiane in Laos to describe the bridge that crosses into Thailand. Crossing from Guatemala into Belize, I cannot even recall any signposting for the border. Signs went to the village sitting on the border and then the signs just stopped. Back from Belize into Guate was not much better.
On the road from Ras al Khaimah toward Oman, only "Border crossing to the Sultanate of Oman" is signed, so not really Oman, and not the towns in that part at all. On the other hand, on the E44 eastbound there are some rare signs with Muscat of Mascar on it. Signs with "Oman" are less rare.

Albania until the end of the 80's would be a good candidate I think. And some years after the war in Croatia, there was no sign for Serbia or Montenegro or cities in those countries to be found. There was also the situation that a traveller could reach a border crossing without any notice.
__________________
http://www.autosnelwegen.net/
Palance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #335
vladanng
Registered User
 
vladanng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Negotin/Belgrade
Posts: 1,724
Likes (Received): 837

even today, althougt in Belgrade there is sings to Zagreb in Croatia, which is 400km away, in Zagreb there are no signs for Belgrade, but to some villages and medium size cities in Croatia, in rest countries, in Macedonia there are signs for Belgrade, and it was interesting to see sign to Belgrade in Greece, there are signs for Belgrade in Bulgaria i think, in Bosnia also im not sure, in Montenegro, even on Kosovo, we in Serbia have signs for Budapest, Sofia, Skopje, Thesaloniki, Zagreb, Sarajevo, i mean all capital cities in countries in region
vladanng no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #336
Corvinus
License plate spotter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: H / D / CH
Posts: 1,057
Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Why GDR had a lot of motorways while other commies countries didn't?
B/c
1) they inherited a lot of Third Reich roads (and other facilities). Of course, these achievements of the Third Reich weren't emphasized in Commie propaganda
2) West Germany and West Berlin had a vital interest in efficient transit traffic, so important amounts of West German subsidies also poured into GDR road construction
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #337
DanielFigFoz
Registered User
 
DanielFigFoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: No fixed abode
Posts: 4,428
Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
Are there any countries in the world, which are not islands, which do not have any cities in other countries on their signs? AFAIK even an isolated country like North-Korea should have at least one sign for Seoul.
Portugal . As you can see two pages ago, the sole sign with a Spanish city on it has been taken down.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 04:28 AM   #338
beto_chaves
Here since 2007
 
beto_chaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bucharest [RO] & Vila Real [PT]
Posts: 1,822
Likes (Received): 157


In Miranda do Douro, near the portuguese-spanish border you can find standard portugueses signs with indication for 3 different spanish cities: Madrid, Salamanca and Zamora. They're indicated as if they were portuguese cities...
__________________
Cartas de Bucareste
beto_chaves no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #339
DanielFigFoz
Registered User
 
DanielFigFoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: No fixed abode
Posts: 4,428
Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by beto_chaves View Post

In Miranda do Douro, near the portuguese-spanish border you can find standard portugueses signs with indication for 3 different spanish cities: Madrid, Salamanca and Zamora. They're indicated as if they were portuguese cities...
Are you talking about the ones that were taken down or are there mire in that area?
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #340
Zagor666
Motomaniac
 
Zagor666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Rumenka - Köln
Posts: 826
Likes (Received): 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar1989 View Post
Had West Germany towns from East Germany (DDR) on there signs or only (West)Berlin?
Had East Germany towns from West Germany on there sings like München Transit BRD or only Tranist BRD?
At the internet I found only a picture with Transit VR Polen and Westberlin
This picture is now my desktop backround
Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium