daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2013, 12:36 AM   #621
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Is there a sign anywhere (nearby) with those three capitals and Skopje as well maybe?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2013, 01:00 AM   #622
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Is there a sign anywhere (nearby) with those three capitals and Skopje as well maybe?
The closest I could find is this one (Sofia missing):

Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #623
I-Soke

Likes (Received): 75

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1096867...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1096867...n/photostream/
I-Soke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2013, 02:17 AM   #624
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Because Pristine is capital there is a sign with four capitals along with Sofia, Beograd and Athens. And its located just at the interchange of the eastern entrance of Skopje and Skopje bypass.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2013, 06:34 PM   #625
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 892

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Late reply, I don't read this thread often.
I know what you said, but 49% of Merano\Meran citizens are ethnically Italians.
Plus, someone from abroad may don't understand what Meran and Timmelsjoch are, an "I" oval would help.
I think Meran and Merano are pretty similar and I just checked my road atlas of Europe and it's bilingual in South Tyrol so I don't see the problem, if people aren't from the area they'll see both names on a map, unless it isn't standard that maps have both names.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 11:55 PM   #626
macxp

Likes (Received): 21

LUBAWKA, POLAND

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by macxp; January 5th, 2014 at 01:19 AM.
macxp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #627
Losbp

Likes (Received): 5443

Singapore
image hosted on flickr

Border Crossing Woodlands by adriansyahyassin, on Flickr

Transport for Jakarta - FDTJ
Drove in RI AUS NL L B F D CZ A

Corvinus liked this post
Losbp está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 12:52 AM   #628
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Tanger sign in Algeciras

https://maps.google.es/?ll=36.152408...10.07,,0,-10.6

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 01:15 AM   #629
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Here is a rare foreign city sign in USA, New York State referencing Montreal, Canada, on I-87 shortly after the Kosciuszko bridge:

image hosted on flickr

Moravian liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 01:27 AM   #630
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Not that rare, really: Montreal shows up on distance markers from the south end of the New York Thruway in Yonkers. They all say things like "Albany 80 - Buffalo 360 - Montreal 300" That's in miles, and they always end in all those zeroes.

And U.S. "control city" practices drive me up a wall...you just can't navigate by destination the way you can in Europe...and Northeastern states generally don't give too many distant destinations. In fact, I don't know a place where Philadelphia (which is actually quite a large city) shows up on a sign as far away as those "Montreal" signs around Albany are from Montreal, so Montreal's getting about the attention an American city of that size would. (If that made sense...felt a bit stream-of-consciousness. :-/ )

I'm sure Vancouver's posted in the Seattle area and north of it, Mexican cities are posted in border areas....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; January 13th, 2014 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Had Buffalo 100 miles farther from Albany than it actually is....
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 01:44 AM   #631
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Most of the ones I see elsewhere usually have something like "Canada" just written... I-91 through Derby Line just says "CANADA", I-89 signs Swanton VT, and the variety of roads around Bufflao / Niagara sign those places and then "Bridge to Canada" or similar.

I like the North American custom of cardinal directions at least. The European system, often you end up approaching a sign like:

<27> Bad Hundfick ->
<27> Fickmuehlen ^

And are just like "but I just want Berlin, where is Berlin!"
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 01:51 AM   #632
Copperknickers

Likes (Received): 181

There's a sign near me for the Channel Tunnel. And there's a fair amount of signs in Northern Ireland to Dublin and Donegal.
Copperknickers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #633
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I like the North American custom of cardinal directions at least. The European system, often you end up approaching a sign like:

<27> Bad Hundfick ->
<27> Fickmuehlen ^

And are just like "but I just want Berlin, where is Berlin!"
Yep!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 13th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #634
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Only in Germany. And usually you don't have to leave motorways to get to a major city like Berlin (and if you did, it would be signed), so continue straight forward.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 04:47 PM   #635
dawid_silesia
S919 (Opava) - Gliwice

Likes (Received): 287

Racibórz (Ratibor) DK45/DW916 https://mapy.google.pl/?ll=50.080656...86.33,,0,-3.74

Racibórz (Ratibor) DK45/DW416 https://mapy.google.pl/?ll=50.09867,...227.81,,0,5.51
dawid_silesia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 06:33 PM   #636
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Are there even traffic signs in US directing to major cities? I have spent hours of streetviewing and saw only parts of cities. Eg. no direction to New York, but Brooklyn or particular parkways.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 06:43 PM   #637
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Well, there are, but since we use cardinal directions (80 West versus 80 East) and use route numbers consistently, they're sort of superfluous. If you're driving from New York to Chicago, you don't need Chicago on the sign, since you've got 80 West....

Standard practice seems to be to include one city per direction, sort of as reinforcement (hence, I'd guess, the term "control city") - e.g. 95 North/Baltimore, 95 South/Washington, but some states, including Pennsylvania, can get rather parochial; instead of just using New York (eastbound) and Cleveland or Youngstown (westbound) on I-80, for example, Pennsylvania will give the nearest significant town (80 East/Bellefonte, 80 West/DuBois, for example).

There are threads and threads about "control cities" at the AA Roads forum. At least there used to be...haven't dropped in in a while.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

volodaaaa liked this post
Old January 13th, 2014, 07:04 PM   #638
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Well, there are, but since we use cardinal directions (80 West versus 80 East) and use route numbers consistently, they're sort of superfluous. If you're driving from New York to Chicago, you don't need Chicago on the sign, since you've got 80 West....

Standard practice seems to be to include one city per direction, sort of as reinforcement (hence, I'd guess, the term "control city") - e.g. 95 North/Baltimore, 95 South/Washington, but some states, including Pennsylvania, can get rather parochial; instead of just using New York (eastbound) and Cleveland or Youngstown (westbound) on I-80, for example, Pennsylvania will give the nearest significant town (80 East/Bellefonte, 80 West/DuBois, for example).

There are threads and threads about "control cities" at the AA Roads forum. At least there used to be...haven't dropped in in a while.
Thank you very much for the explanation

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 10:03 PM   #639
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Control city is usually a town close to the next interchange with an Interstate, i.e. a town not too far away. Add to that that control city should, under the MUTCD, be the most distant location on distance signs and you appreciate why you references to major towns further afield are quite sparse in the US. You need a state violating the MUTCD in order to have one.

These violations do occur, as we can see from signs to Montreal and to LA from well into Nevada. But not enough, at least not from my (admittedly European) perspective.
Old January 13th, 2014, 10:28 PM   #640
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I didn't know that that was the definition of control city. Outside the Northeast, they seem to be, mostly, major cities.... it'll just be the next major city rather than the next three, and you'll almost never see one for which you'd have to exit the route you're on and take another one (so, no "Brussels" on the French A1). And there are quirks like the Chicago-area habit of using states.

I'm not sure it's a violation of the MUTCD, though. Isn't there somewhere - I'm not an expert on this - an official list of control cities that each state has contributed to, basically giving the cities they use now? So that whatever the current use is would be by definition approved?

EDIT: Here's that list, or a version of it. Haven't read it carefully. http://home.roadrunner.com/~pwolf/controlcities.html

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; January 13th, 2014 at 10:51 PM.