daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 2nd, 2015, 12:39 AM   #801
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

A photo from my summer roadtrip. Berlin signposted in Stettin, Poland
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2015, 04:30 PM   #802
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

Kolbaskowo, is that a city where they make a lot of sausages?

SRC_100, GROBIN liked this post
Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2015, 05:07 PM   #803
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor666 View Post
No, sausage is kiełbasa in polish. I wonder what the term Tranzyt (Transit) means trafficwise, is it some kind of fast expressway with less exits and interchanges ?
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2015, 05:09 PM   #804
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

It means as much as "through traffic". In France they'd put "toutes directions"

GROBIN liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 12:37 AM   #805
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

"Tranzyt" sings are mostly useful for lorries, drivers of lorries know which road they can go out from city or through the city and on which roads there is no tonnage limitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor666 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
No, sausage is kiełbasa in polish. I wonder what the term Tranzyt (Transit) means trafficwise, is it some kind of fast expressway with less exits and interchanges ?
For Poles when hear "Kołbaskowo" they really could come to mind "kiełbasa"/sausage
Both words have some kind of connection when you hear but not formal, both mean different things.
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 01:10 AM   #806
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

In France, just before Somport tunnel
https://www.google.es/maps/@42.82538...qXqe2W3d8Q!2e0

Right, Les Forges d'Abel (last village in France)
Ahead, in white Canfranc and Jaca (both in Spain, Canfranc is the first village and Jaca the first cross road where A-23 starts)
in green, Huesca and Saragosse
Left, Col du Somport (mountain pass name, it is the old road through the pass), Stations de ski (Ski resorts): Astun, Somport, Candanchu (Astun and Candanchu are in Spain, Somport is a binational cross-country ski resort)

About Candanchu-Le Somport cross-country ski-resort I think I posted them but...

https://www.google.es/maps/@42.78438...4-CkWg!2e0!3e5
The stick is the boundary. Ahead France, Back Spain

https://www.google.es/maps/@42.78373...BvtzxQ!2e0!3e5
I have no idea where in hell border is in the picture. Maybe in summer it is easy to find any signal but nothing when it is snowed

Candanchu-Le Somport has more lanes in France but only two are in google maps. Here you are the cross-country ski resort map
http://www.lesomport.com/images/plandespistes.pdf

What it appears in google is the track number 5 in the map

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)

GROBIN liked this post
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 04:00 AM   #807
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Signs for Skopje and Sofia on A1 near Nis in Serbia:
https://www.google.rs/maps/@43.37023...i26T3x0O7Q!2e0

Moravian liked this post
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 03:20 PM   #808
prophecus1

Likes (Received): 159

Meanwhile in Malaysia. Sign for Satun province (Thailand) in front of the border crossing in Perlis state on state road R15. Note the sign is rendered in latin alphabets, not thai.

https://www.google.com.my/maps/@6.6961359,100.1797614...EUlmgnIKXA!2e0

Unfortunately most signboards to Thailand in Malaysia only show "Thailand" instead of big cities such as Hat Yai or Bangkok. Probably because Peninsular Malaysia borders Thailand and Singapore only while the rest is surrounded by sea.

Last edited by prophecus1; January 3rd, 2015 at 03:26 PM.
prophecus1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 08:45 PM   #809
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Another thing that lacks in Malaysia and other Asian countries is ovals when signing a city in neighboring countries. Instead of "Tuas" or "Woodlands" alone, it would be good to sign "Tuas (SGP)" and "Woodlands (SGP)"; as well as "Johor Bahru (MAL)" instead of "Johor" alone on the Singaporean side ...
I still remember a long time ago, when approaching Singapore, there were simply "Singapura" signs. However, at that time, there was only one causeway (Woodlands - Johor Bahru)

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 12:05 AM   #810
Moravian

Likes (Received): 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I thought "Valichi" was a Swiss town. Somewhat reminds me of this sign in Slovenia. "MMP Gruškovje" stands for "mednarodni mejni prehod Gruškovje", meaning "international border checkpoint Gruškovje" (with Croatia).
Gruškovlje sounds nice for me. Like a Pear hamlet. Certainly better than Rupa behind the Croatian border....
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 01:10 AM   #811
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

^ Pear is "hruška" in Slovenian, so it's similar indeed (and yes, I do think of pears when I hear "Gruškovje").

Moravian liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 01:35 AM   #812
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
Another thing that lacks in Malaysia and other Asian countries is ovals when signing a city in neighboring countries. Instead of "Tuas" or "Woodlands" alone, it would be good to sign "Tuas (SGP)" and "Woodlands (SGP)"; as well as "Johor Bahru (MAL)" instead of "Johor" alone on the Singaporean side ...
I still remember a long time ago, when approaching Singapore, there were simply "Singapura" signs. However, at that time, there was only one causeway (Woodlands - Johor Bahru)
Well they ain't in EU....
But they do have those signage in Malaysia ,especially on the expressway from KL ,when nearing the "end" (the expressway direct from Singapore is BKE-Causeway-EDL (Eastern Dispersal Link [E14] )- NSE [E2] (also AH2) )

Mostly they would say singapura ,but if you lucky you may still find some signage still says woodlands.
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 02:34 AM   #813
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
^ Pear is "hruška" in Slovenian, so it's similar indeed (and yes, I do think of pears when I hear "Gruškovje").
Gruszka in Polish, and yes, I've always assumed that Gruskovje was a place full of pears, especially as it's quite forested there. It's funny how similar Slavic languages can be - for me, it's much easier to understand Croatian than to understand German, even though I'm not a Polish native speaker.

GROBIN, Moravian liked this post
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 04:48 PM   #814
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

New thread title:

Signs for Cities in Neighboring Countries, and Slavic Languages

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 07:20 PM   #815
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsHalt View Post
Well they ain't in EU....
But they do have those signage in Malaysia ,especially on the expressway from KL ,when nearing the "end" (the expressway direct from Singapore is BKE-Causeway-EDL (Eastern Dispersal Link [E14] )- NSE [E2] (also AH2) )

Mostly they would say singapura ,but if you lucky you may still find some signage still says woodlands.
Oh, dear! When I lived in Singapore 1994-96 and a couple of years afterwards in the EU road signs to neighboring countries weren't as clear as they are (getting) nowadays! Just a few examples I still remember from those times (some of them are still not changed):
- Germany: Pilsen, Arnheim, Nimwegen, Küstrin (Plzeň, Arnhem, Nijmegen, Kostrzyn)
- Lithuania: Varšuva, Suvalkai, Gardinas, Daugpilis (Warsaw/Warszawa, Suwałki, Hrodna, Daugavpils)
- Latvia: Kauņa, Pleskava (Kaunas, Pskov)
- Estonia: Pihkva, Riia (Pskov, Rīga)
- France: Saragosse, Saint-Sébastien, Gand (Zaragoza, Donostia / San Sebastián, Ghent/Gent)
- Spain: Francia / França / Frantzia (France) , Portugal I still remember leaving Iruńa/Pamplona and seeing "Francia" on the left and "Francia" on the right. Without GPS, you can go nuts!
- Portugal: Espanha (Spain)
- The Netherlands: Luik (Ličge)
- Austria: Pressburg (Bratislava)

So guys, you can do it lah!

A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

Last edited by GROBIN; January 21st, 2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 03:12 AM   #816
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

for a second I read this and understood the Lithuanians referred to Warszawa as "dog piss"

I guess in reality it is the Krakowians that do
Old January 22nd, 2015, 07:31 AM   #817
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

I don't know any single country in the world where people from the province like the capital city! Lithuanians hate Vilnius, Venezuelans hate Caracas, Poles hate Warsaw, Frenchies hate Paris, Spaniards hate Madrid, Portuguese hate Lisbon, Italians hate Rome, Czechs hate Prague, Russians hate Moscow, Romanians hate Bucharest ...

Old January 22nd, 2015, 10:17 AM   #818
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
New thread title:

Signs for Cities in Neighboring Countries, and Slavic Languages

every topic should be renamed in the same manner

Penn's Woods liked this post
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 11:06 AM   #819
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

Quote:
Oh, dear! When I lived in Singapore 1994-96 and a couple of years afterwards in the EU road signs to neighboring countries weren't as clear as they are (getting) nowadays! Just a few examples I still remember from those times (some of them are still not changed):
- Germany: Pilsen, Arnheim, Nimwegen, Küstrin (Plzeň, Arnhem, Nijmegen, Kostrzyn)
- Lithuania: Varšuva, Suvalkai, Gardinas, Daugpilis (Warsaw/Warszawa, Suwałki, Hrodna, Daugavpils)
- Latvia: Kauņa, Pleskava (Kaunas, Pskov)
- Estonia: Pihkva, Riia (Pskov, Rīga)
- France: Saragosse, Saint-Sébastien, Gand (Zaragoza, Donostia / San Sebastián, Ghent/Gent)
- Spain: Francia / França / Frantzia (France) , Portugal I still remember leaving Iruńa/Pamplona and seeing "Francia" on the left and "Francia" on the right. Without GPS, you can go nuts!
- Portugal: Espanha (Spain)
- The Netherlands: Luik (Ličge)
- Austria: Pressburg (Bratislava)

So guys, you can do it lah!
I do remember that some 15 years ago or more I was looking for proper road to Basel in suburb of St. Luis (France), but there were only signs "Bale"... I catched just after cca. one hour that "Bale" means Basel (Frenchmen didn`t put "CH" oval sticker next to the "Basel" inscription on the signs)
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 12:22 PM   #820
WMS
BANANED BY VOLT CENTERTEL

Likes (Received): 2420

Quote:
I don't know any single country in the world where people from the province like the capital city! Lithuanians hate Vilnius, Venezuelans hate Caracas, Poles hate Warsaw, Frenchies hate Paris, Spaniards hate Madrid, Portuguese hate Lisbon, Italians hate Rome, Czechs hate Prague, Russians hate Moscow, Romanians hate Bucharest ...
But still everybody from the province goes to the capital to find a job.
WMS no está en línea   Reply With Quote