daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 20th, 2015, 07:05 PM   #881
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Likes (Received): 44

It would be interesting if European countries had English included on signs as well for international visitors or near the border, but not sure if it would work or be the same because everything is symbolic and no words almost. NORTH, EAST, WEST, SOUTH not used in Europe, such as E4 N or 1 E.
  • John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6
-Valentino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2015, 07:33 PM   #882
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
It would be interesting if European countries had English included on signs as well for international visitors or near the border, but not sure if it would work or be the same because everything is symbolic and no words almost. NORTH, EAST, WEST, SOUTH not used in Europe, such as E4 N or 1 E.
no thanks.
Old February 20th, 2015, 07:33 PM   #883
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

I wonder how's is the expressways /highways/autobahns are going to be like when the automatic robocars are the norm in the future, is there going to be still the need for physical signs or just use holograms or ,the sad kind, let it "rot".
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 07:34 PM   #884
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Directions would be helpful, in my opinion. But that's a conversation we've had before and I'm on my way to lunch.

EDIT, like, hours later... In case it's not clear, this is regarding directions on signage in the world we live in today, as opposed to navigational aids for robocars.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Road_UK liked this post

Last edited by Penn's Woods; February 20th, 2015 at 11:52 PM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 07:36 PM   #885
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
... and as an addition, Switzerland does not have a de jure capital at all. Bern is the seat of the federal authorities, thus being the de facto capital. In Switzerland, it is referred to as Bundesstadt (and not Hauptstadt).

So strictly speaking, the Germans only miss one capital city; isn't there really a single sign for Copenhagen?
No. Key destination on the A7 is Flensburg which is still in Germany, and Kolding after that. The other route to Denmark and actually Copenhagen is via A1 (key city Lübeck) towards the ferry Puttgarden to Roedby. And on that route only Puttgarden is displayed after and around Lübeck.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 07:43 PM   #886
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
It'd be interesting if the French-Canadians would use STOP on their signs - the international way - for international visitors.

And also everything in Dutch of course, for Dutch visitors. And Spanish, for Spanish visitors. Hell, Canada should include every major language on its road signs.

But just for you:

riiga liked this post

Last edited by Road_UK; February 20th, 2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old February 20th, 2015, 08:31 PM   #887
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
No. Key destination on the A7 is Flensburg which is still in Germany, and Kolding after that. The other route to Denmark and actually Copenhagen is via A1 (key city Lübeck) towards the ferry Puttgarden to Roedby. And on that route only Puttgarden is displayed after and around Lübeck.
As Puttgarden is in no way significant other than a ferry port, this will probably change with the Fehmarn Belt Tunnel.

My guess is Kopenhagen (German spelling).
Old February 20th, 2015, 08:59 PM   #888
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
You'd love Skopje (Macedonia) then, they use Macedonian, English and French on the bypass. But it's messy. We only use English (beside Slovenian) for indicating the Ljubljana motorway ring, the port of Koper (but no airport) and perhaps some other important destination.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 09:25 PM   #889
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Directions would be helpful, in my opinion. But that's a conversation we've had before and I'm on my way to lunch.
I'm back from lunch, but my reading glasses aren't.

I'll rejoin this (and any) conversation here once I've bought a new pair.

Any typos in this post are because I can't see 'em.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 09:36 PM   #890
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
As Puttgarden is in no way significant other than a ferry port, this will probably change with the Fehmarn Belt Tunnel.

My guess is Kopenhagen (German spelling).
They might even put it in the original Danish spelling. There seems to be a shuffle in the German way of thinking in these matters, and my guess is that they're not absolutely sure what to do, however, they did change the signs to two principal Dutch cities a while ago, and put them in original Dutch.

Arnheim (German)....

...is now Arnhem (Dutch)

And Nimwegen (German)

...is now Nijmegen (Dutch)

...that truck driver got so confused that he tipped his lorry over.

-------------------

Same goes for the Luxemb(o)urg example...

image hosted on flickr

Penn's Woods liked this post
Old February 20th, 2015, 10:03 PM   #891
TrojaA
ß-Retter

Likes (Received): 341

Could be possible. All these other languages use the same alphabet like German. (This includes the diacritics like ` and ´)
The original Danish spelling for Copenhagen is København. I'm not sure whether they will put <ø> on a sign or if they will use the German name.
E.g. Szczecin is also written Stettin, but they put often Szczecin in parenthesis behind it. Or did they change this?

So I think it might be either "Kopenhagen" or "Kopenhagen (København)".
TrojaA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 10:10 PM   #892
Road_UK
BANNED

The Stettin/Szchecin one is still the same. Same with Prag/Praha.

This sign doesn't make much sense to me:

Luxembourg in French only. But Lüttich (Liege in French, it's a French-speaking town in Belgium) in both languages. I suppose they use whichever is clearest, as Brussels is in the German spelling only. (Brüssel)

They took it more seriously in Brussels, on a motorway in an area where both French and Dutch is spoken:

TrojaA liked this post
Old February 20th, 2015, 10:18 PM   #893
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18780

A sign with both Frankfurt (Oder) and Warschau (Warszawa) is also confusing. Is Oder the Polish name of Frankfurt?

Source of the photo: http://bujko.net/blog/2012/08/10/1344591422042.html
Kemo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 11:02 PM   #894
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Likes (Received): 44

They should use the name of the city in the local national language of where you see the road sign. For example Sweden should post Köpenhamn, not in Danish spelling.
  • John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6
-Valentino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 11:04 PM   #895
Road_UK
BANNED

You're wrong and it's not the general opinion of us Europeans. The Dutch have changed all signs in language of destination country only to make it clear for anybody.

It's not really any of your concern what we should do here anyway.
Old February 20th, 2015, 11:12 PM   #896
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
You're wrong and it's not the general opinion of us Europeans. The Dutch have changed all signs in language of destination country only to make it clear for anybody.

It's not really any of your concern what we should do here anyway.
True. The original name is the far best choice. The local name is just optional. Everybody knows Wien is Vienna and nobody cares if it is Beč in Croatian, Bécs in Hungarian, Viedeň in Slovak, Vídeň in Czech or Dunaj in Slovenian.

Road_UK liked this post
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 11:13 PM   #897
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
They should use the name of the city in the local national language of where you see the road sign. For example Sweden should post Köpenhamn, not in Danish spelling.
That principle would be problematic in the US, as the local authorities would need to choose whether to use English, Spanish, Irish, or Polish.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 11:22 PM   #898
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
True. The original name is the far best choice. The local name is just optional. Everybody knows Wien is Vienna and nobody cares if it is Beč in Croatian, Bécs in Hungarian, Viedeň in Slovak, Vídeň in Czech or Dunaj in Slovenian.
Original name? Vindobona? Parisium? Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium? Lugdunum? Treva? Juvavum?

Road_UK liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 11:24 PM   #899
Road_UK
BANNED

Old February 20th, 2015, 11:25 PM   #900
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Original name? Vindobona? Parisium? Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium? Lugdunum? Treva? Juvavum?
I meant the name in majority language of the country the city is located within. The traffic signage must be as legible and clear as possible. Seriously, how many drivers would have clue if you posted Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium?

Road_UK liked this post
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote