daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 18th, 2016, 09:39 PM   #961
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Spital? I thought 'hospital' in German was krankenhaus (literally 'house of sick people'). Maybe it is Austrian German?
Yes it is, its a word like palatschinken or fiaker that you find in Austria but not in Germany

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2016, 02:20 AM   #962
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Capital of Lesotho signposted in South Africa

Src: http://hors-frontieres.fr/14450/

- Die Stem van Suid-Afrika

Verso, SRC_100, Realista_KR, GROBIN liked this post
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2016, 07:23 PM   #963
Moravian

Likes (Received): 930

Cadca/Slovakia:

Verso, SRC_100 liked this post
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2016, 09:27 PM   #964
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Why did I give this thread such an awful name?

Verso liked this post
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2016, 04:46 AM   #965
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Exactly what I was thinking.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2016, 10:22 AM   #966
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

Time to rename? 😂 Maybe to "road signage to Neighbouring city / country /county"
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 04:15 PM   #967
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Prety old sign in Cologne

Today they would´n sing even the half of all those cities.

Verso, Sentilj, riiga, Attus, Stavros86 liked this post
Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 04:17 PM   #968
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

The same location in 2008. Graphic is changed, content not at all.
No idea how it looks now. Perhaps I should drive there and check :-)
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 06:43 PM   #969
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
The same location in 2008. Graphic is changed, content not at all.
No idea how it looks now. Perhaps I should drive there and check :-)
This is probably the sign that stands on the crossing, my stands few 100. meters before cause i made my picture in 2013 when i was driving by on my bicycle. they would change both but Cologne is a poor village
Old June 4th, 2016, 03:06 AM   #970
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6755

Both signs must be from the same time, as the font looks somewhat different from the one used on the German road signs (and not only on road signs, Germans are really crazy about it).
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016, 03:21 AM   #971
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

DIN 1451?

Poland still uses on number plates
but Germany uses something else now
Old June 4th, 2016, 07:01 PM   #972
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor666 View Post
This is probably the sign that stands on the crossing, my stands few 100. meters before cause i made my picture in 2013 when i was driving by on my bicycle. they would change both but Cologne is a poor village
I was today in Cologne. It has heavily raining so I did not make any photos. Both signs have been replaced, the new ones have the usual current German layout and style. Venlo is no more signed, only domestic destinations are signed.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016, 07:38 PM   #973
Kpc21

@Kanadzie: Yes. You see it everywhere in Germany, even on "dangerous dog" warning signs.

I have never realized that the Polish license plate font has something in common with DIN1451, but after comparing them it seems that... that's true. It's not exactly DIN1451, but DIN1451 with some small changes.

The thing is, you don't usually see DIN1451 as a text created with capital letters only.

The polish road signs font is also interesting, it's, in my opinion, a very good font for it's purpose. The only disadvantage is that it's quite space-consumung, but it's really well-readable. But it's used almost only on the road signs (an exception are, for example, the street name plates in Ponań), we are not so crazy about it as Germans are about DIN1451.

A good thing about both Polish and German road signs is also that they don't use capital letters only, as for example French, or Slovak road signs do. Human brain recognizes the words written with both capital and small letters (I mean, in the normal way, as all the words in this post) easier and faster than those written with capital letters only.

And a weird thing which we have in Poland are the road signs on the roads crossing the national border. Almost always they just "have to" include the name of the village in which there is a border crossing, or in which the road just crosses the border without any proper checkpoint (on the internal Schengen borders). Even on main highways, a few hundred kilometers from the border. At the same time, the names of the cities in the neighbouring countries, to which the road leads, are often missing (although now it is changing to better).

Like here: https://goo.gl/maps/vUmz9UNVdtC2
Luckily there are Dresden and Berlin on this sign (although, from what I remember, they weren't present on the initial version on this sign, they had to correct it), but at the same time... Jędrzychowice is a village with 694 persons of population, Olszyna is a town with 4469 citizens no, it's the wrong Olszyna! this is the proper Olszyna, it looks like not even 100 persons lives here! a small poor village with literally a few post-German houses and hens running freely on the yard.... And this is one of the main east-west highways in the country, still many tens of km from these small villages! Even Zgorzelec is quite a small town to include it on a junction of two highways (population: 32.332), but together with Görlitz, it's German part at the other side of the Odra/Oder river, it's bigger (Görlitz has a population of 54.042, so together it's almost 90.000 citizens).

Sentilj liked this post

Last edited by Kpc21; June 4th, 2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old June 5th, 2016, 05:19 PM   #974
Kpc21

Another example, the section of the A1 currently being built:

Quote:
Originally Posted by los77 View Post
Jedzie sobie człowiek z północy na południe a tu info o Litwie

Autor zdjęcia : sl (picassa)
Putting aside that the green part shouldn't be present on this sign at all - the sign is near Łódź on the A1 to the south, and going the A1 to the south and then taking the S8 will be the least sensible way possible to go to Warsaw and to Lithuania from Łódź (especially taking into account that the A1-S8 junction doesn't allow at all to go from the A1 from the north to the S8 to the north, so the driver would have to go to the next junction and make a U-turn there, or just use a non-highway road) - you can see here Budzisko - 500 km. There is no Google Street View there - but looking at the elections data, the electoral district to which this village belongs consists of around 230-250 persons and contains 23 villages. This way a village with less then 100 citizens becomes famous thanks to that a main road intersects with the national border there. Without, even, a checkpoint.

But they included Ostrava and not Gorzyczki, at least one thing done well!

ChrisZwolle, nick.english.dept liked this post

Last edited by Kpc21; June 5th, 2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old June 6th, 2016, 12:08 PM   #975
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
Putting aside that the green part shouldn't be present on this sign at all - the sign is near Łódź on the A1 to the south, and going the A1 to the south and then taking the S8 will be the least sensible way possible to go to Warsaw and to Lithuania from Łódź (especially taking into account that the A1-S8 junction doesn't allow at all to go from the A1 from the north to the S8 to the north, so the driver would have to go to the next junction and make a U-turn there, or just use a non-highway road).
I suppose that this is the result of the odd routing of the S8/DK8. In so many respects, this is not the logical route between Wroclaw and Augustow. Yet because it's there, you'd have to signpost it somehow, even where that implies detours.

Kpc21 liked this post

Last edited by -Pino-; June 6th, 2016 at 12:13 PM.
-Pino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 12:57 PM   #976
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

It seems to be a Polish way to post (rather insignificant) border points instead of actual destinations across the border. Ostrava is a nice exception to this rule, equally logical would be Kaunas instead of Budzisko. (That is, if we forget the fact that anyone seeing this sign is hardly going to Lithuania in the first place.)
Old June 6th, 2016, 02:23 PM   #977
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Yeah, they should go for Kaunas or Augustow. Either the last larger town in Poland or the first larger town across the border. But as long as these are not signposted as such on the S8 itself, this sign on the A1 at Lodz is not quite the sign to start doing so. Hopefully a coordinated coverplating exercise (replacing the border point with a more realistic terminus) will occur on the S8 and roads leading to the S8 in the not too distant future.

Kpc21 liked this post
-Pino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 03:48 PM   #978
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Poles wanna show distance to the border, not to Budzisko. Kaunas and Augustów are not on the border. OTOH, Katowice and Ostrava aren't on the border either.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 10:02 PM   #979
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Poles wanna show distance to the border, not to Budzisko. Kaunas and Augustów are not on the border. OTOH, Katowice and Ostrava aren't on the border either.
But, why one does need to know how many km is the border far away?
It's more useful to know the distance to the next significant city/ies, either before or across the border, that are likely destinations for many motorists.
If I'm driving, for example, on Italian A22 northbound, I'm probably more interested to know how far away are, for example, Bolzano or Innsbruck (that are quite large, so likely final destinantion for many drivers), rather than the distance to Brenner Pass (that is just a transit place, rarely becoming a final destination).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 10:58 PM   #980
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

True, if you want to sign the border at all, it's most logical to do that after the last significant city, in this case Suwałki. But there probably have been endless discussions about the signage of Polish borders from far away before.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote