daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine
Old December 8th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #421
TheAvenger
Guardian Angel

Likes (Received): 295

Senator Richard Gordon and officials of the Department of Tourism (DoT) and the Korean Embassy will unveil at 7:30 a.m. the monument of Lapu-Lapu, the Filipino chieftain who scored the first victory in Asia against foreign colonizers 484 years ago today.

The imposing statue stands at the Agrifina Circle near Taft and Burgos Avenues between the old Department of Finance building and the DoT building in Manila. It is in the direct line of perspective from the statue of Philippine national hero Dr. Jose Rizal at the Luneta Park, also in Manila.

Gordon, former DoT secretary, will deliver the keynote address, while DoT Undersecretary Oscar P. Palabyab will give the welcome address and a briefing on the project.

Minister Shin Gil-Soe, consul general of the Korean Embassy, will deliver a message and response. The Korean Freedom League and the Poongsan Microtech Philippines Inc. donated the statue to the Filipino people through the efforts of then Tourism Secretary Gordon.

Gordon said the donation by the Korean people of the Lapu-Lapu statue can be symbolically compared to the donation of the Statue of Liberty in New York City to the United States by the people of France.

As chieftain of the island of Mactan off Cebu in the Visayas, Lapu-Lapu led Filipino warriors in the famous Battle of Mactan on April 27, 1521 that led to the death of the Spanish explorer, Ferdinand Magellan, who discovered the Philippines.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/subicbay/message/143?l=1

Rizal Park rites in Manila mark Lapu-Lapu’s victory

WHILE residents of Opon, commemorate today the Battle of Mactan along the coastline of Mactan, the chieftain Lapu-Lapu will be remembered in Manila at his monument in the Rizal Park.

A short program is scheduled at 7:30 a.m. today with Sen. Richard Gordon and Cebu Gov. Gwen Garcia as guest speakers.

Flowers will be offered at Lapu-Lapu’s monument.

“Each year from now on, Bagumbayan will lead celebrations to honor the memory of Lapu-Lapu and his singular legacy to our nation and to Asia,” said Gordon.

Gordon said Lapu-Lapu’s monument was erected near the monument of national hero Jose Rizal to show the unity of Tagalog Christians whom Rizal represents and the Visayan Muslims whom Lapu-Lapu represents.

“Lapu-Lapu makes us proud to be Asia’s first to defeat the colonial invader and Bonifacio and Rizal as the inspiration of the Filipinos who became the first among Asian nations to free themselves from colonial rule,” Gordon said.

The activity, the first to be celebrated in Manila, is organized by the Philippine Auxilliary, the Bagumbayan, the National Park Development Committee and the Philippine Tourism Authority. Reporter Doris C. Bongcac

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/ceb...-Lapus-victory
TheAvenger no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 8th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #422
TheAvenger
Guardian Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by le Reine View Post
Grabe naman yung kababuyan. That's an overstatement.

I've been to Luneta several times. In fact, almost every day; but I have never felt threatened nor suffocated there. May mga mali siguro pero not to that extent.
Ang paglagay ng Manila Ocean Park sa dulo ng Rizal Park ang tunay na pambababoy, dapat sa ibang lugar inilagay yaon.
Old December 8th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #423
dvbaicrviser
dwtc keeper

Likes (Received): 12

Ano na pala nangyari sa Army and Navy Club? Sana hindi napapabayaan dahil ang ganda ng building na iyon.
Old December 8th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #424
TheAvenger
Guardian Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvbaicrviser View Post
Ano na pala nangyari sa Army and Navy Club? Sana hindi napapabayaan dahil ang ganda ng building na iyon.
Last January 2008, I went there in Army and Navy Club since it housed the Museo ng Maynila and the office of Manila Heritage Commission (and office of Bambi Harper). Last June 2009 I went back there again but it was under renovation.

You can see the photos of Army Navy Club in my Jibrael Angel Blog

http://jibrael.blogspot.com/2008/01/...ishing-of.html
Old December 8th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #425
Sky Harbor
Green + Maroon = Blue. :D

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvbaicrviser View Post
Hindi naman pupuwedeng alisin ang monumento ni Rizal diyan dahil unang-una, diyan siya binaril. Saka mag-iisandaang taon na siyang nakapuwesto diyan. Si Andres Bonifacio, dapat maglagay din ng isang parke na katulad ng Rizal Park, pero sa bandang Tondo kung saan pinanganak siya. Nangangailangan ng isang malaking parke ang area na iyon ng Maynila.
The land where Andres Bonifacio was born is where the current Tutuban PNR station stands. Even if the government wanted to, they can't put a park in that part of Tondo.
Old December 8th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #426
FlashCollider
Lull before the storm

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAvenger View Post

I love Lapu-lapu's title: The Sentinel of Freedom of Asia
FlashCollider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #427
alcogoodwin
Save Fiji Railways NOW

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb View Post
What's so wrong with this photo?.
I suppose I could have centered it a little more and Photoshoped out that thing in the water.

Apart from that, I have had nothing but good comments on it so far.....
Manila Sunset - Australia's Newest Filipino Store! Narwee-Sydney (Now Open)
alcogoodwin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #428
Christian_123
MMMPPH!

Likes (Received): 898

The facial expressions makes it better
Christian_123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 01:17 AM   #429
jbkayaker12
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian

This what happened after the statue is added:
image hosted on flickr

The globe fountain was a beautiful work of art together with another fountain which used to flow in Rizal Park. These lighted fountains were a beautiful sight back then but sadly it was taken out and replaced with something substandard. The current statues littering the park were all substandard in nature, nothing world class at all, Rizal's monument may be the only exemption and yet Filipinos continue to destroy its historical significance by placing gaudy ornaments and using gaudy paint scheme all around the park even the historical buildings were not spared.

The monument of Lapu Lapu may have been placed in Luneta with good intentions but sadly the execution (no pun intended) was lacking, from the steps leading to the statue, the pedestal of the statue and the surrounding area. It could have been a world class monument and statue but because of what I have mentioned above it diminishes the historical impact of Lapu Lapu as a Philippine hero worthy of admiration by others and not only Filipinos.

Last edited by jbkayaker12; December 10th, 2009 at 01:23 AM.
jbkayaker12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #430
Christian_123
MMMPPH!

Before:
image hosted on flickr

After:
image hosted on flickr

I like the old landscaping. simple and clean...
Old December 10th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #431
Igsuonnimo

Likes (Received): 46

diba dyan dapat yung Centennial Tower?
Igsuonnimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #432
kalbongdad
bald meat

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igsuonnimo View Post
diba dyan dapat yung Centennial Tower?
nope .....dun yun sa may malapit sa tubig...near the mop....

enjoying life, every minute of it

An Bato nga Bantiles Naiibas Guihapon han Durudaguinot nga Turo han Uran
kalbongdad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #433
kalbongdad
bald meat

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Ililipat dahil si Lapu-Lapu ay hindi Tagalog or hindi taga Luzon ?

Bakit hindi na lang ilipat ang Monumento ni Rizal at palitan ng Monumento ni Andres Bonifacio at
gawing National Heroes Park ang Rizal Park.

Itong ibang small monument ng ibang Filipino heroes gusto rin ba nyong ipaalis sa Luneta Park ?

meron gallery of heroes sa luneta yung malapit sa monumento ni lorenzo ruiz.....dati marami dun...dapat dun nilagay ang mga busts na yan...at pinaganda ang lugar....magiging maysaysay pa at madaling tingnan ng mga bata dahil magkakatabi sila...

enjoying life, every minute of it

An Bato nga Bantiles Naiibas Guihapon han Durudaguinot nga Turo han Uran
kalbongdad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 03:24 AM   #434
lancetrn

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb View Post
Lapu-Lapu is NOT a SQUATTER. He was just misplaced by the NHI and the Korean govt.
.... Make a rotunda in front the Heritage Hotel and put Lapu-Lapu there, just like how they did at Monumento - Andres Bonifacio erected on a rotunda.
Agree here, the statue is a great piece of work but is not in a place where it can make a meaningful impact. A rotunda will do, why not redevelop an existing rotunda such as the welcome/mabuhay rotunda in QC?

I think it would be best placed somewhere in the bay area of Lapu-Lapu City (maybe at the entrance near the bridge?) where it can remind travellers of the historic event that took place in the island. There it can become a real tourist landmark.

About the idea of putting a sentinel like statue in Manila Bay, is it not more fitting to put Rajah Soliman there instead?
lancetrn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 03:53 AM   #435
kevinb
I am me.

Likes (Received): 27

There's already a Rajah Sulayman along Manila Bay - the Rajah Sulayman Park. It's near the Malate Church.
Old December 11th, 2009, 05:16 AM   #436
lancetrn

yep i'm aware of that, it's just that I think I read in this thread about the idea of putting the tall Lapu Lapu statue somewhere in the bay are similar to that of the Statue of Liberty so it would really look dramatic as if it is a sentinel guarding Manila. I thought it should be Rajah Sulayman and not Lapu Lapu...
Old December 11th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #437
Christian_123
MMMPPH!

I still stand my ground na dapat talaga sa Cebu yan statue nayan dahil sobra talagang out of place sya. I'm not saying walang place si lapu-lapu dito sa luzon, all i'm saying is put him where he really belongs. Cebu needs a huge park dedicated for lapu-lapu just like luneta dedicated for rizal. It would be beneficial for the cebuanos if that happens...

Try imagining the statue of liberty in beijing or in tokyo harbour! Parang ganyan ang nanyari sa Lapu-Lapu statue. Sobrang wala talaga sa pwesto..

Last edited by Christian_123; December 11th, 2009 at 07:28 AM.
Old December 11th, 2009, 07:59 AM   #438
RonnieR

Likes (Received): 1571

Quote:
Lapu-Lapu is a national hero...... just like Rizal

and not a regional hero.

No wonder the Visayans and Mindanaoans were saying that people in Luzon were more regionalistic than them.
Agree. Who killed Magellan? Pupuntahan ko na nga yang Lapu lapu statue so I can see it for myself.
RonnieR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #439
Toymatz
Registered Lurker

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancetrn View Post
yep i'm aware of that, it's just that I think I read in this thread about the idea of putting the tall Lapu Lapu statue somewhere in the bay are similar to that of the Statue of Liberty so it would really look dramatic as if it is a sentinel guarding Manila. I thought it should be Rajah Sulayman and not Lapu Lapu...
Baka kasi mas deterrent si Lapu-lapu who defeated and repulsed the foreign invaders at while Rajah Sulayman and men were defeated in the battle of Bankusay?

Last edited by Toymatz; December 11th, 2009 at 03:53 PM.
Toymatz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 05:30 AM   #440
lancetrn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymatz View Post
Baka kasi mas deterrent si Lapu-lapu who defeated and repulsed the foreign invaders at while Rajah Sulayman and men were defeated in the battle of Bankusay?
Well that's a good point, anyway it can be just symbolic, i.e. a conqueror of a foreign invader guarding the seat of government which is Manila .