search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > San Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco Bay Area » projects and proposals | transportation and infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 7th, 2017, 01:12 AM   #12601
gillynova

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post

I was honestly about to ask where is Cardinal when you want to see updated pictures of development in downtown haha. Thanks for posting these up as always! Great to see the progression

While comparing to the Jan 28th post from Cardinal, it looks like they added just 2 floors in 1 month but it could've slowed down with all of the rain that came in February. (6/22 floors done so far)

Last edited by gillynova; March 7th, 2017 at 01:26 AM.
gillynova no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2017, 01:35 AM   #12602
cardinal2007

Likes (Received): 1409

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
That is so true. Perhaps it is because their systems are so integrated and well-maintained that ridership on those lines are high. It's like, compared to Santa Clara VTA's light rail system, theirs is highly matured and still growing, while ours is young and struggling. If it were me, I would really invest in developing a reliable light rail system for Santa Clara County if that would also mean upgrading the current 522 along El Camino Real and transform it into a LR line of its own.
I think a lot of it may just be density. In places like LA, New York, London, driving can be an average of 7mph during rush hour. With enough density close to the rail line there would be high use. I'm sure even improving walkability to the median stations and nearby businesses would help, a lot of places you'd have to hop up a small mound then to a parking lot then walk past the parking lot to the building.

VTA is not in charge of land use so they have very little opportunity to dictate where development goes so many times it doesn't favor the routes, take Santa Clara Square for example, not close to transit at all.
cardinal2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 01:50 AM   #12603
dirt patch

Likes (Received): 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
I was honestly about to ask where is Cardinal when you want to see updated pictures of development in downtown haha. Thanks for posting these up as always! Great to see the progression

While comparing to the Jan 28th post from Cardinal, it looks like they added just 2 floors in 1 month but it could've slowed down with all of the rain that came in February. (6/22 floors done so far)
One floor per 9 days One of the building is up to the 8th floor.
dirt patch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 02:06 AM   #12604
quadshock

Likes (Received): 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
I think a lot of it may just be density. In places like LA, New York, London, driving can be an average of 7mph during rush hour. With enough density close to the rail line there would be high use. I'm sure even improving walkability to the median stations and nearby businesses would help, a lot of places you'd have to hop up a small mound then to a parking lot then walk past the parking lot to the building.

VTA is not in charge of land use so they have very little opportunity to dictate where development goes so many times it doesn't favor the routes, take Santa Clara Square for example, not close to transit at all.
In a recent-ish trip to Hong Kong I was a little shocked to realize that what I considered to be really far on the map was really ~5 miles away for most parts of the city. That certainly makes transit, even slow transit, a more feasible option. On the other hand, in driving culture 5 miles is super close. It's an entirely different mentality, and no one in other cities blinks twice if it takes over an hour to go 20 miles if things are significantly dense.
quadshock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 02:07 AM   #12605
quadshock

Quote:

While the construction has not been zooming along, it's really starting to reach the point where I can imagine the scale of the building in relation to its surroundings. It's going to be such a great addition to the area.

Little-T liked this post
Old March 7th, 2017, 04:06 AM   #12606
bobby_guz_man

Likes (Received): 320

Nice pics Cardi!

Soooo...any news on high-rises or any of the office projects getting off the ground yet? I know that I could take a certain user off my ignore list and would probably get the news but I'd rather not

gillynova, JoshuaSantos liked this post
bobby_guz_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 04:09 AM   #12607
bobby_guz_man

Likes (Received): 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLRISE View Post

Modera at San Pedro (Project Update):
That color palette though
bobby_guz_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 06:05 AM   #12608
RaymondHood
Retired Mohawk Ironworker

Likes (Received): 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post

Soooo...any news on high-rises or any of the office projects getting off the ground yet? I know that I could take a certain user off my ignore list and would probably get the news but I'd rather not
Fake news!
Fake news!!!
Believe me, it's all fake!!!!!
He gets his news by wiretapping unreliable real estate developers.

Sad.

SJNewKid, Little-T, JoshuaSantos liked this post
RaymondHood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 06:01 PM   #12609
dirt patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Nice pics Cardi!

If you follow my posts: no high rise for a generation! Cycle is over. Trump administration/San Jose city trumps all the projects in the pipeline. No more. Silvery Towers are the last one to go up for at least 25 years.
Old March 7th, 2017, 06:04 PM   #12610
dirt patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondHood View Post
Fake news!
Fake news!!!
Believe me, it's all fake!!!!!
He gets his news by wiretapping unreliable real estate developers.

Sad.

Fake news? Any high rise underway? If there is new high rise project underway, my news would be fake, and I would own it. Unfortunately, it's the most real news and accurate of the bunch here unless proven otherwise.
Old March 7th, 2017, 06:09 PM   #12611
dirt patch

I'm the only one said the cycle is done and be happy with what you already have in the downtown area. Sure, mid rises will get underway but no high rise will unfortunately. I tell guys: if we get one tower in downtown core underway this year, preferably by before this summer, then my news will definitely be fake and should be ignored! If we just get one tower, then I'm so wrong. I promise you guys that I would be wrong all along and my news would be fake. I would then stop making these news and offer apology/retract!
Old March 7th, 2017, 07:00 PM   #12612
dirt patch

Folks, I level with you. If downtown gets even just one new tower off the ground the downtown core, I won't post again since I would be so wrong. That's the promise. Right now, I'm so confident that I'm so right and the only one so accurate. No, Modera doesn't count since it's not a high rise and been calling for it to break ground this week. Remember, if there's one ground breaking of a high rise in the downtown core, my post goes bye bye!!
Old March 7th, 2017, 07:52 PM   #12613
DarkEconomist

Likes (Received): 327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xynoplas View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "shorter trips?"
In regards to the length of each individual trip taken by a customer/rider.

So, a person who lives along Blossom Hill but commutes to NSJ will notice the length of a trip vs. the alternatives.

But I was hypothesizing that ridership may not suffer much by a "slow" tram or train if the distance covered is short--total travel time remains short--as with my hypothetical trip of DTSJ to Skyport, or, perhaps Baypoint to North Sunnyvale.
DarkEconomist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 11:13 PM   #12614
quadshock

Also to note about Silvery, it's now visible form the highway. I'd call that a milestone and actually makes a big difference in the density feel of downtown
Old March 7th, 2017, 11:31 PM   #12615
gillynova

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadshock View Post
Also to note about Silvery, it's now visible form the highway. I'd call that a milestone and actually makes a big difference in the density feel of downtown
87 North or South?

Last edited by gillynova; March 8th, 2017 at 05:23 AM.
Old March 7th, 2017, 11:32 PM   #12616
gillynova

Oh and I saw that The Pierce's lights were up last night again. I hope it'll be up from now on.
Old March 7th, 2017, 11:54 PM   #12617
quadshock

Quote:
85 North or South?

Davodd liked this post
Old March 8th, 2017, 03:20 AM   #12618
dirt patch

Quote:
87 South!
Old March 8th, 2017, 05:24 AM   #12619
gillynova

Quote:
Lmfao damn I edit the post. I work in Mountain View so 85 is near me and I'm used to it.

But yeah, 87 North or 87 South view?
Old March 8th, 2017, 07:26 AM   #12620
dirt patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLRISE View Post
Great day for Downtown San Jose & for the future new look of our glorious St. James Park! Lots of us old-timers will be looking forward to this fantastic development.

The Winning Design:

Courtesy City of San Jose – Pictured is an artist’s rendering of an overhead view of San Jose’s St. James Park as re-imagined by CMG Landscape Architecture and the firm’s design partners. CMG and their partners submitted one of four proposals under consideration to re-design the venerable old downtown park.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/0...m-competitior/

Maybe this development will finally motivate BSB to accelerate their Park View Towers project? If this doesn't then probably nothing will.
No financing for this project and no new high rise downtown for at least 25 years or so, another generation.

Tags
san josé