search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > San Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco Bay Area » projects and proposals | transportation and infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 15th, 2017, 09:21 PM   #15581
sprizant

Likes (Received): 2

Is there anyway to tell the current status of this project?

http://www.sanjoseca.gov/index.aspx?NID=5125

They did demo of the old buildings on the lot at the end of last year but still haven't started building anything.

I live nearby so am wondering as the empty lot is kind of ugly.
sprizant no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2017, 09:22 PM   #15582
Sharkcity

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEconomist View Post
I think we're seeing different things. The Hilton, for example, does use some public domain, but predominantly uses some of it's private space to facilitate arrivals and departures.

It's also very important to note that the sidewalk in market is very wide and so is market Street itself.
Exactly. These are all precedent examples against the Tribute proposal.

Hilton and Fairmont, drop-off is on private property, not public property. Sidewalk width is effectively expanded, not reduced.

Sainte Claire is a traffic problem. Drivers and pedestrians are frequently confused navigating it. Not a good precedent.

Hotel Clariana choosing to build a more spacious drop-off on private property in their phase two proves that tiny sidewalks are not preferred. If it was working... there wouldn't be a need for such an expense in phase 2.

Last edited by Sharkcity; September 15th, 2017 at 09:32 PM.
Sharkcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 10:01 PM   #15583
cardinal2007

Likes (Received): 1683

Anyone read up on SB-35, it looks like it is likely to pass the state legislature. Since San Jose never meets the RHNA quotas, due to them being about 50% higher than the next highest city SF. It looks like it will have a big effect on the city.

Anyone know what those effects will be?

Seems like short of forced increased densities in the suburbs, developing open space, or rezoning commercial or industrial land we can't really build more housing. But I may be misunderstanding the issues in the suburbs, since I usually just follow developments in the general downtown area. I'm guessing the caps in NSJ would go?
cardinal2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 10:02 PM   #15584
cardinal2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjn View Post
Construction trailer for Sparq, I'm going to guess?

In terms of long range plans, though, I guess after Sparq no longer needs the trailer, there's plans for a hotel on the lot, though that hasn't really seen any movement since the initial proposal in 2015:

This sounds more likely, though they haven't started demo on the Enterprise lot.
cardinal2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 10:09 PM   #15585
Sharkcity

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
Anyone read up on SB-35, it looks like it is likely to pass the state legislature. Since San Jose never meets the RHNA quotas, due to them being about 50% higher than the next highest city SF. It looks like it will have a big effect on the city.

Seems like short of forced increased densities in the suburbs, developing open space, or rezoning commercial or industrial land we can't really build more housing. But I may be misunderstanding the issues in the suburbs, since I usually just follow developments in the general downtown area. I'm guessing the caps in NSJ would go?
It would have limited impact on San Jose. All cities are required to plan for adequate housing in their general plan and zoning. The bill affects cities that subsequently choose not to approve housing projects that comply with the plan such as our neighboring cities. San Jose's housing issue is more related to the market not proposing or building projects.

SB35 affect the entitlement process.
Sharkcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 11:16 PM   #15586
Xynoplas

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprizant View Post
Is there anyway to tell the current status of this project?

http://www.sanjoseca.gov/index.aspx?NID=5125

They did demo of the old buildings on the lot at the end of last year but still haven't started building anything.

I live nearby so am wondering as the empty lot is kind of ugly.
Looking under "SP16-016" at:
https://www.sjpermits.org/permits/
I don't see that anything has been posted since last year.
Old September 16th, 2017, 09:52 AM   #15587
Davodd

Likes (Received): 197

Quote:

It primarily affects the NIMBY-burbs like Cupertino, Saratoga, Palo Alto, Los Altos, and Los Gatos.

Cities already in the process of building higher-density, large amounts of housing, like SJ, MV, and S'vale will have little-to-no impact, from what I can tell.
Davodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 07:25 PM   #15588
aphelion2100

Likes (Received): 446

Some updated commercial development news in North S.J. & South S.J.

http://news.theregistrysf.com/assemb...-construction/

Quote:
When the first phase is completed, there will be approximately 300,000 square feet in three buildings where collaboration and teamwork are fostered by open and airy interiors in the physical environment of an intimate campus setting. Occupancy will be available in late summer of 2018.

In total, Assembly at North First is entitled for up to 1.3 million square feet of office and R&D space, per a development agreement with the City of San Jose. The second phase can be demolished to produce 1 million square feet of new construction, or more, pursuant to the square footage capacity allowed in the City’s North San Jose Area Development Policy.
http://news.theregistrysf.com/edenva...ustrial-space/

Quote:
The 9.4-acre Industrial Property Trust (IPT) Silicon Valley project proposes to construct a 166,740 square-foot warehouse building that includes 32 dock doors, 27,200 square feet of office space and 139,540 square feet of warehouse space.

The IPT complex is proposed to be located within San Jose’s Edenvale Redevelopment Project Area, which San Jose first adopted in 1976.

When complete, the entire Edenvale Redevelopment Project Area would include the development of approximately 7.88 million square feet of additional industrial uses.

San Jose adopted its Edenvale Area Development Policy to promote economic development, particularly within high tech-driven industries. The plan is designed to encourage a citywide reverse commute to jobs at southerly locations in San Jose and provide for transit-oriented, mixed-use residential and commercial development that will promote public transit ridership.

gillynova, bobby_guz_man liked this post
aphelion2100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 07:35 PM   #15589
cardinal2007

Quote:
This sounds more likely, though they haven't started demo on the Enterprise lot.
Looks like they started demo on the Enterprise lot:
https://twitter.com/rstromberg/statu...07366471692288
Old September 18th, 2017, 11:52 PM   #15590
robertee

Likes (Received): 1093

One of the founders of AFK (which has experienced a lot of drama over the last year or so) is planning to open a new spot in DTSJ: Guildhouse
Old September 19th, 2017, 07:03 AM   #15591
aphelion2100

The Volar @ Santana Row Flying in 2019

The Volar now has its own website which looks promising in that it could be a sign that this project will actually take off like the falcon it was originally supposed to emulate.

Does "Flying in 2019" mean the completion date of this project or the year that the project will break ground? I'm hoping that the Volar will be completed in 2019 as I'm really looking forward to dining in the rooftop restaurant & checking out the beautifully appointed rooftop patio. IMhO, this will become a wonderful new attraction at Santana Row.

https://www.volar350.com/

Old September 19th, 2017, 12:15 PM   #15592
quadshock

Likes (Received): 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphelion2100 View Post
The Volar now has its own website which looks promising in that it could be a sign that this project will actually take off like the falcon it was originally supposed to emulate.

Does "Flying in 2019" mean the completion date of this project or the year that the project will break ground? I'm hoping that the Volar will be completed in 2019 as I'm really looking forward to dining in the rooftop restaurant & checking out the beautifully appointed rooftop patio. IMhO, this will become a wonderful new attraction at Santana Row.

https://www.volar350.com/

Maybe I'm being a pessimist, but there's no way it's done by 2019 if we're entering the final quarter and it hasn't broken ground yet. Towers here seem to take like 3 years start to finish.
quadshock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 09:50 PM   #15593
Dirk_Birkin

Likes (Received): 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadshock View Post
Maybe I'm being a pessimist, but there's no way it's done by 2019 if we're entering the final quarter and it hasn't broken ground yet. Towers here seem to take like 3 years start to finish.
2019 is a very aggressive timeline. the only way i see them coming anywhere close is if they build it out of steel. even then, it's likely only the shell is done and all the interior build out would still need to be completed.

regardless, i'm happy to see this project moving forward.

DarkEconomist liked this post
Dirk_Birkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 11:31 PM   #15594
sjn

Likes (Received): 459

Frontier also adding flights to/from Atlanta, Cincinnati, Colorado Springs:

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/...incinnati.html

MetropolisMayorII liked this post
sjn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 12:35 AM   #15595
Dirk_Birkin

Likes (Received): 373

non-paywall article with a slideshow comparing cities initial statements on their proposals.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/...omparison.html
Quote:
The jockeying has led to some false starts over the past week. Bloomberg, citing "a person briefed on the matter," reported that Boston was a leading candidate for the new "HQ2" facility. But that report was quickly shot down by Amazon. Similar canards have had a daily presence on the news wires.

"We are just getting started with the process, and every city is on an equal playing field,” Amazon spokesman Drew Herdener said not long after the Bloomberg report went live.
even playing field? sure amazon. guaranteed they have 3-5 cities in mind and are going with one of them unless an outlier comes in with an offer they can't refuse.

boston may have already thrown a knockout punch though. the site they're proposing is just north of logan international airport and is right on the blue line 5 stops from downtown. here's the non paywall article from the boston bizjournal:
https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/n...-site-for.html

Last edited by Dirk_Birkin; September 20th, 2017 at 01:06 AM.
Dirk_Birkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 12:44 AM   #15596
aphelion2100

AMCAL Development Permit

Permit: HA16-036-02

Quote:
Description: Site Development Permit Amendment to revise conditions to the previously approved permit, H16-036, to extend construction hours to include Saturdays from 7 A.M. to 7 P.M. on 1.45 gross acre site.
AMCAL/Swenson LLC development is getting ready to start construction soon on The Graduate. Looks like this will be the next high rise tower to rise in DTSJ.

rickupton, bobby_guz_man, usman408 liked this post

Last edited by aphelion2100; September 20th, 2017 at 01:04 AM. Reason: addition
aphelion2100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 01:06 AM   #15597
DarkEconomist

Likes (Received): 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertee View Post
One of the founders of AFK (which has experienced a lot of drama over the last year or so) is planning to open a new spot in DTSJ: Guildhouse
Reddit thread
DarkEconomist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 09:14 PM   #15598
usman408

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphelion2100 View Post
Permit: HA16-036-02

AMCAL/Swenson LLC development is getting ready to start construction soon on The Graduate. Looks like this will be the next high rise tower to rise in DTSJ.
Praying for SJSC and Parkview to sprout up concurrently!

nerdymark, CTA25, aphelion2100 liked this post
usman408 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 09:30 PM   #15599
rickupton
Rick Upton

Likes (Received): 182

San Jose Prepares for War with Wealthy Developers on Evergreen Senior Housing Ballot Measure
rickupton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 10:01 PM   #15600
cardinal2007

I'm not a fan of adding more suburbs to the suburbs, as it costs the city a lot to service them, especially something like this at the edge of the valley.

Tags
san josé