daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Southeast

Southeast Development News | Includes TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY.

Old December 1st, 2011, 07:36 PM   #401
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 41

Great aerials of Richmond...I love that city.
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 1st, 2011, 07:39 PM   #402
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohpenn View Post
yes the line on a very old map.

Referring to something by a long outdated method seems rather silly when the reality is very different.
So which northern states should (in today's reality) be included in the South? Those lines were drawn on very old maps as well, and much has changed since then...should we rethink all of the regional borders since they were drawn such a long time ago and are surely outdated by now?

That idea is just garbage. Do you actually think that just because something was done long ago that it's outdated? What makes you think that changes in an area require it to be relocated to another region? I'm sure if you think about it you can see the absurdity in this (il)logic.
Old December 1st, 2011, 09:07 PM   #403
ohpenn

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Do you actually think that just because something was done long ago that it's outdated?
No, where is your logic to apply my specific statement to a general one.

garbage? Have you been to either of those cities? Have you lived there?

If you have, then you would see the absurdity of your statement. At least 3 times, there have been requests to stay on topic. I tried to respect that, but you all cant' stop trying to push something that is ridiculous if you have been to either city.
ohpenn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 09:07 PM   #404
JorgiPorgi

Likes (Received): 6

I personally believe The south should end at Richmond. Culturally and Geographically. When looking at a map, DC and Baltimore are geographically not in the south. THey are mid-atlantic. . With that being said, I wouldn't include them in the south. Now, about south Florida being in the south. YES, THAT IS THE SOUTH. Different regions have different cultures. You don't exclude a city from a region because it's culture is different. Miami is as south as it gets. Now can we get back on topic?
JorgiPorgi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 11:20 PM   #405
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 292

*looks for aerial updates*
Old December 1st, 2011, 11:33 PM   #406
kingchef

Likes (Received): 0

anybody, particularly in richmond history, have photos of the old cemeteries in richmond? perhaps, it seems morbid, but i love to spend time looking at names, dates, and particularly the monuments in cemeteries. there is a great book i bought at barnes and nobel several years back, and it is dedicated to monuments in cemeteries in america. can't remember the author off the top of my head, but it is filled w/ interesting facts and photos. it seems richmond would be a city w/ some wonderful cemeteries. btw, i have, since my last post, reviewed wiki (not my favorite source for info, but convenient), and i don't think that those pictures on wiki do justice to richmond. i did enjoy reading and researching the roman catholic cathedral and st. john's. i am a former roman, but i became an episcopalian 22 years ago. i love the patrick henry story about st. john's.
kingchef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 01:20 AM   #407
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohpenn View Post
No, where is your logic to apply my specific statement to a general one.

garbage? Have you been to either of those cities? Have you lived there?

If you have, then you would see the absurdity of your statement. At least 3 times, there have been requests to stay on topic. I tried to respect that, but you all cant' stop trying to push something that is ridiculous if you have been to either city.
Please...don't be a martyr about this. You're making assertions that have no basis in reality, so you must expect a response. Stop making them and there will be no responses.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 02:31 AM   #408
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

An aerial view of Downtown Tampa.

image hosted on flickr

Tampa, FL by L1mey, on Flickr
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 03:17 AM   #409
Dale

Likes (Received): 846

Stop hijacking this thread with southeast City Aerials.

Seriously, though, I never realized how compact Tampa CBD was and how comparatively few its surface parking lots.
Dale está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 04:53 AM   #410
ohpenn

Quote:
Please...don't be a martyr about this. You're making assertions that have no basis in reality, so you must expect a response. Stop making them and there will be no responses.
If you feel compelled to respond, at least read the post of which you are responding. I don't know why you feel compelled to continue, my comments are based on reality. I'm not making assertions. Your posts speak for themself. Drop the martyr nonsense.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 04:54 AM   #411
ohpenn

Quote:
Seriously, though, I never realized how compact Tampa CBD was and how comparatively few its surface parking lots.
Yeah and they seem relegated to the fringes of the CBD as well.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 05:28 AM   #412
spencer114

Likes (Received): 130

The most famous cemetery in Richmond is Hollywood. Presidents John Tyler and James Monroe are buried here, so is Jefferson Davis, JEB Stuart and 10's of thousands of Confederate dead.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/hollywoodcemetery/pool/

Shockoe Hill Cemetery (oldest in town) first Chief Justice of US Supreme Court, John Marshall, is buried here. So is Arthur Ashe.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w...mond+va&m=text

Hebrew Cemetery
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=hebr...0richmond%20va

St John's Church has a nice compact cemetery too. Aside from Poe's mother, not sure who is buried there.

Last edited by spencer114; December 2nd, 2011 at 05:38 AM.
spencer114 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 09:49 PM   #413
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
jrq, i love the photos of richmond. it has probably been 2003 since i was last there, but i would not have guessed this city at all. the density and urban look of the city really can be seen and felt through these photos. i apologize, if wrong, but is that the james river in the photo? i haven't really studied the photos yet, just a cursory look, and i don't pretend to know the geo off the top of my head. i'm really surprised to see these views, as opposed to what was in my head. great shots. i noticed that you said that they did not show all of the city. will more be shown later? i have always loved richmond because of its long history, the architecture of the 18th, 19th, and 20th century. also, the proud heritage of old richmond society, some of whom i knew quite well through my family. again, good to see these. kc
I'll take care of question #2

Thanks for the response kc, I appreciate the interest. I may be partial, but RVA is definitely a cool city. I love the big city feel/atmosphere while consecutively feeling a small, hometown feel.
Since spencer answered the cemetery question, I'll shoot for some more aerials. I'm trying to find new ones that I have not previously posted, but that is becoming increasingly difficult lol.

Here's a cool one showing the density of the "original" RVA skyline, located around the MCV campus near Church Hill/Shockoe Bottom:
image hosted on flickr

And another:
image hosted on flickr

I like the cosmopolitan feel to this photo:
image hosted on flickr

This last photo I hate. It makes RVA look so boring/ugly, when it truly is not. Second, I have used this previously, so I apologize....but it shows most of the skyline, so I use it. It leaves off a few buildings to the left and the Southern States building/others south of the river. However, it does an adequate job lol.

Hope this helps!

-Fairfax County-1,118,000
--Virginia Beach-447,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-228,000
-----Richmond-210,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-181,000
--------Alexandria-147,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-97,000
JRQ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 10:28 PM   #414
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 11807

I love Richmond's density and exquisite historical layers. All that's missing IMHO are a couple or three signature towers to really set the whole thing off. Richmond can and deserves to be Virginia's big flagship skyline.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 10:30 PM   #415
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
An aerial view of Downtown Tampa.

image hosted on flickr

Tampa, FL by L1mey, on Flickr
Really nice perspective of Tampa! So many shots of Tampa's skyline are those swampy, low-lying ones that just show the big boys but neglect all the layers down below. And I don't see parking lots, I see opportunity!
Old December 2nd, 2011, 10:57 PM   #416
I-275westcoastfl
Polak Potrafi

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Stop hijacking this thread with southeast City Aerials.

There are a lot more than that photo wants to show, the CBD is riddled with surface lots and more keep being built.

Google maps shows the real truth. I'd say half the land area of the CBD is parking lots.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll...h&z=16&vpsrc=6

Last edited by I-275westcoastfl; December 2nd, 2011 at 11:04 PM.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 12:00 AM   #417
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

West Palm Beach

Old December 6th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #418
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 8829

Somebody found this on the Google website. That's Coral Gables in the foreground, and this angle with South Beach in it makes the Brickell area look even more dense. This isn't even the entire Miami skyline and more is coming in this decade.

My photo threads:

QuantumX está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:08 PM   #419
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

^

Great shot!

Why not some more:

http://www.urbanmiamiliving.com/
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:39 PM   #420
spencer114