daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Old May 26th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #1
Catmalojin

Likes (Received): 223

DUBLIN | Bus services

I thought that with the Network Direct (or 'Network They Wrecked' depending on your point of view) project well under way, as well as the RTPI system currently being tested and the integrated ticketing scheme due by the end of the summer, that it would be good to keep track of all of the changes being made to Dublin Bus, as well as other operators in the city (such as Aircoach or Swords Express).

So, starting off, the latest news from Dublin Bus regarding the Nitelink service:

Quote:
Nitelink Changes
Thursday, May 26, 2011
Dublin Bus is pleased to announce some significant improvements to Nitelink Routes 7n & 46n from Friday 3rd June 2011.

Route 7n
Departures at 12.00, 02.00 & 04.00 will now serve Dalkey on route to Shankill.

The routing will be as follows: Current route to Dun Laoghaire then Summerhill Road, Glasthule Road, Sandycove Road, Breffni Road, Ulverton Road, Barnhill Road, Gleangeary Road Upper, Sallynoggin Road and normal route to Shankill

Route 46n
This service will operate every 30 minutes from 12.00am to 4.00am and will also serve Ballinteer and Dundrum.

The routing will be as follows: Current routing to Kilgobbin Road in Sandyford and then Brehon Field Road, Stone Masons Way, Broadford Road, Ballinteer Avenue, Wyckham Way, Ballinteer Road, Main Street Dundrum and last stop at Luas Interchange (Taney Road), Dundrum.

These revised services will provide increased network coverage on our Nitelink routes.

Departure point changes on D’Olier Street from Friday 3rd June
Route 15n will depart from stop CH
Route 42n will depart from stop CK
Route 77n will depart from stop CJ

With a fare of only €5 - Spend money going out, not going home. You can pay on the bus with coins only or can also pay with a prepaid ticket.

Link

Last edited by Catmalojin; September 15th, 2011 at 12:22 AM.
Catmalojin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 27th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Onoudidnt

Likes (Received): 1

THANK JESUS. I was livid when i discovered they'd cut the 48n to ballinteer, finally i can get home without having to haggle taxi men. Sound
Onoudidnt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #3
Catmalojin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onoudidnt View Post
THANK JESUS. I was livid when i discovered they'd cut the 48n to ballinteer, finally i can get home without having to haggle taxi men. Sound
I know the feeling - I hate having to hand over money to taxi drivers. All they need to do now is run a Nitelink service the rest of week like they used to, or better yet, have some 24-hour routes.
Old May 28th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #4
Viking74

Likes (Received): 25

I never get the bus anymore. Thankfully i happen to live 5 minutes walk from a train line. The bus goes half way around the world before it goes in the direction of the city centre. If only they would straighten out more of the routes, it would be a much more attractive option. I also gave up getting the Nitelink after someone spewed up all over me last time, just as I was about to get off.
Viking74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #5
Dan

Is there a sort of Rambler ticket (30 non-consecutive day uses) for the DART like there is for the bus?
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #6
Catmalojin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Is there a sort of Rambler ticket (30 non-consecutive day uses) for the DART like there is for the bus?
As far as I know there isn't (unfortunately!).
Old June 6th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #7
Catmalojin

From yesterday's Sunday Business Post:

Quote:
Dublin Bus to commence major upgrade of fleet
05 June 2011 By Nicola Cooke

Dublin Bus has started the process of buying 172 new buses, despite a continuing fall-off in passenger numbers and recent staff lay-offs.

The semi-state company wants to replace around two thirds of the current 233 vehicles in its fleet, and has advertised to suppliers that it is seeking 160 double-deck and 12 single-deck buses.

Dublin Bus had made savings of €51.7 million under a cost-saving programme and restructuring of the network since 2009, when some routes were cut or integrated. The company also removed 120 buses from its fleet and laid off almost 300 drivers.

Despite this, a company spokeswoman said they were looking ‘‘for the opportunity to replace vehicles in the fleet’’.

The government subvention for the operation of Dublin Bus last year was €76 million.

The spokeswoman said that the average age of the Dublin Bus fleet was 7.2 years.

‘‘By 2012, there will be 233 buses in the fleet which will be over 12 years old.

The optimum time to replace a vehicle is at 12 years to ensure service reliability, to keep maintenance costs to a minimum and also so Dublin Bus can avail of technological advancements to ensure high accessibility standards," she said.

‘‘Our ability to replace vehicles is dependent on funding being available for this process. If funding does become available from the Department of Transport, the procurement process must be completed prior to this in order to avail of this funding in a timely fashion. It is normal and prudent practice to undertake such a process in advance of funding being confirmed."

The Railway Procurement Agency (RPA) has also advertised for an insurance programme ahead of enabling works for Metro North.

© Thomas Crosbie Media 2011.
Old June 7th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #8
Catmalojin

Network Direct continues:

Quote:
Swords / Santry / Rathfarnham / Terenure
Dublin Bus is pleased to announce proposals for services in the above areas as part of Network Direct. These service changes cover the following existing Routes: Northside: 3, 16, 16a, 41, 41b, 41c, 41x, 102, 128, 140, 142. Southside: 15, 15a, 15b, 15e, 15f, 16, 16a, 74, 74a, 161. Consultation will end on Friday July 8th.

What does Network Direct mean for you?
Implementation will commence in summer 2011 on a phased basis which will provide the above areas with more direct, high frequency and punctual bus services with improved cross city connections. The simplified route network will also be easier to understand for all customers. Please click here to view a diagram on services in these areas.

Quicker journey times
Quicker journey times to key destinations including Dundrum, Rathmines, O’Connell Street, Swords, Dublin Airport and Templeogue.

High frequency services
  • Route 15 will have peak weekday frequencies of 10 minutes or better
  • Route 16 will have peak weekday frequencies of 10 minutes or better
  • Route 140 will have peak weekday frequencies of 10 minutes or better
Improved Network for customers on Swords Road QBC
  • Route 41 and 41c will bypass Dublin Airport at all times providing a more direct and faster commute to the city centre
  • Route 41a will provide an improved local service from Swords Manor to Dublin Airport serving Applewood and Glen Ellen
  • Route 41x will remain with some timetable adjustments (not shown on map)
  • Route 41b will continue to offer connections from Rolestown to the city centre
  • Route 102 will operate from Dublin Airport via Boroimhe to Swords Village and Malahide and Sutton Rail Stations
  • Route 3/a will operate alternative journeys from Parnell Square to Larkhill and Shanard Road via Dorset Street and Drumcondra
Improved Network for customers in Templeogue, Ballinteer and Rathmines
  • Route 16 will be a high frequency service operating at least every 10 minutes during peak times from Ballinteer (Kingston) to Dublin Airport. This will significantly improve the reliability of the service and help maintain even intervals between the service at all stages on its route. Route 16a will be replaced on the Southside by route 61 (see below for details) and on the Northside by Route 3 and Route 16. Route 16 will now serve Dublin Airport.
  • Route 3a will now provide a service from Shanard Road to the City Centre via Dorset Street, terminating on Parnell Square. This will replace route 16 on the Northside.
  • Route 15, 74 and 128 will be amalgamated and renamed route 15. This high frequency service, operating every 10 minutes at peak times, will provide increased cross city penetration providing direct connections to Connolly Rail Station, Fairview and the Malahide Road. Route 15 will be extended to Stocking Avenue via St. Colmcille’s Way and Ballycullen Road.
  • Route 15a will operate its current alignment to the city centre. Timetables will be adjusted to meet customer demand and provide improved integration on the common alignment between current services 15, 15a and 15b.
  • Route 15b and 74a will be amalgamated and called route 15b. This service will operate from Stocking Avenue to the city centre via Stocking Lane, Scholarstown Road, Ballyboden Way, Ballyroan Road, Marian Road and Templeogue Road.
  • Route 15e and 15f will no longer operate.
  • Route 61 will operate from Whitechurch to the city centre via Grange Road, Nutgrove Avenue, Churchtown Road Lower, Rathmines and St. Stephen’s Green.
  • Route 140, operating a high frequency service with a departure every 10 minutes at peak times, will be extended from its current terminus Leeson Street (Wilton Terrace) to Rathmines (Palmerston Park). This will replace route 128 in this area and on Rathmines Road Upper.
  • Route 161 will continue to provide a connection from Rockbrook now serving Ballyboden Road, Grange Road, Nutgrove Avenue, Churctown Road Lower and Dundrum (Luas).
  • Route 3 will continue to provide a direct connection from Larkhill to the City Centre (Parnell Square) operating via Dorset Street.
  • Route 3a will continue to provide a service from Shanard Road to the City Centre via Dorset Street, terminating on Parnell Square. This will replace route 16a on the Northside.
  • Route 142 will continue to provide a direct service from Portmarnock, Malahide and Holywell to the City Centre. Timetables are subject to change with similar levels of service proposed. Not shown on map.
Route Improvements
These proposals will offer the above areas a much simplified route network with improved cross city connections. More customers will benefit from improved frequencies and services will be more direct, making journey times faster.

There will be improved coverage of our network for the communities involved with a significant increase in the travel options available for the vast majority of our customers.

Routing for proposed services as follows
Route 3/3a
Shanard / Larkhill » Swords Road » Drumcondra Rail Station » Dorset Street » Parnell Square.

Route 15
Stocking Avenue » Ballycullen Road » St. Columcille’s Way » Knocklyon Road » Templeogue » Terenure » Rathgar Road » Rathmines » St. Stephen’s Green » O’Connell Bridge » North Strand » Malahide Road » Clongriffin Rail Station.

Route 15a
Limekiln Avenue » Whitehall Road » Kimmage Road West » Terenure » Rathgar Road » Rathmines » St. Stephen’s Green » College Green » Britain Quay.

Route 15b
Stocking Avenue » Scholarstown Road » Ballyboden Way » Ballyroad Road » Marian Road » Templeogue » Terenure » Rathgar Road » Rathmines » St. Stephen’s Green » College Green » Britain Quay.

Route 16
Ballinteer (Kingston) » Brehon Field Road » Grange Road » Rathfarnham Road » Terenure » Harold’s Cross » Leonard’s Corner » Camden Street Lower » O’Connell Street » Dorset Street » Beaumont (Shantalla) » Santry » Swords Road » Dublin Airport.

Route 41
Swords Manor » Rathbeale Road » Whords Village » Dublin Road » Swords Road » Dorset Street » O’Connell Street » Abbey Street.

Route 41c
Swords Manor » Applewood » Balheary Road » Swords Village » River Valley » Dublin Road » Swords Road » Dorset Street » O’Connell Street » Abbey Street.

Route 41a
Swords Manor » Applewood » Balheary Road » Swords Village » River Valley » Boroimhe » Dublin Airport.

Route 61
Whitechurch » Grange Road » Nutgrove Avenue » Churchtown Road Lower » Rathmines Road Upper » Richmond Street Lower » St Stephen’s Green » Eden Quay.

Route 102
Sutton Rail Station » Malahide Rail Station » Seabury » Waterside » Swords Village » River Valley » Boroimhe » Dublin Airport.

Timetable Changes
All timetables have been redesigned so that they are easier to understand. Please note that new timetables read from left to right and then line by line as in a book or magazine. Weekdays are given their own column separated by colour. All Routes will now have stop-specific departure times at selected locations for e.g. Route 16 will have specific departure times from O’Connell Street making it easier to plan your journey.

Service Frequencies (Estimates)

Route - Peak - Off Peak
3/a - 30 mins - 60 mins
15 - 10 mins - 10 mins
15a - 15 mins - 30 mins
15b - 15 mins - 30 mins
16 - 8 mins - 10 mins
41 - 12 mins - 20 mins
41a - 30 mins - 60 mins
41b - Peak Service
41c - 20 mins - 20 mins
61 - 30 mins - 60 mins
102 - 30 mins - 30 mins
140 - 10 mins - 20 mins
142 - Peak Service
161 - 60 mins - 60 mins

Last edited by Catmalojin; June 9th, 2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old June 7th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #9
Dan

BTW. I posted on the Dublin Bus page and they said that they are in the early phases of looking into wifi for the airport link.
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 11:14 PM   #10
Onoudidnt

Also, i've seen numerous RTI poles going up around Dundrum and Ballinteer. Did'nt think they'd be going up this fast this far out!
Onoudidnt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #11
Catmalojin

Quote:
Dublin Bus plans further route changes

KITTY HOLLAND

Wed, Jun 15, 2011

FURTHER CHANGES and cuts will be implemented across the Dublin Bus network in coming months, a spokeswoman for the company has confirmed.

Dublin Bus is about a year into the biggest review of its routes undertaken in its history and almost halfway through the implementation of route changes, realignments and redesign, known as the Network Direct project.

The company says it will mean “more direct, regular, frequent and reliable services with a network that is simpler and easier to understand”.

The project has, however, given rise to a citywide campaign, Save Our Bus Services, which says the changes are in fact cuts to services, which will hurt the old, the disabled and schoolchildren most.

Local campaigns are under way in Ringsend, Dundrum, Donnycarney, Crumlin, Ballymun, Whitehall, Finglas, Dún Laoghaire and Clondalkin, while others are emerging as changes are implemented.

Following small local protests last weekend, which organisers declared a “first step” in a concerted campaign, a larger demonstration is planned outside Dublin Bus headquarters at noon on Saturday.

The Network Direct project was announced in April last year and follows the 2008 Deloitte report, Cost and Efficiency Review of Dublin Bus, which was endorsed by the government. It recommended a fundamental review of routes and services given the dramatically changed Dublin city.

The key aims of Network Direct were to make routes more direct with fewer diversions into housing estates, to make them more regular and to simplify the network.

The spokeswoman for Dublin Bus yesterday rejected claims by the campaign that changes were being implemented with little or no consultation. “We have held numerous public information roadshows and public meetings, meetings with residents and with elected representatives as well as dealing on a daily basis with customers and elected representatives either by phone or e-mail.

“Since the public consultation in this area the Network Direct team have engaged almost daily with residents and local representatives regarding their queries, so to suggest that Dublin Bus has not advertised, engaged with our informed people of proposals for this area is unfair and inaccurate.”

Areas that have had service changes – Stillorgan, north Wicklow, Lucan, north Kildare and Blanchardstown – have seen passenger number increase and there has been positive customer feedback.

“The following areas have been through the public consultation process, the feedback and issues raised are being considered and in some areas plans have been revised,” the spokeswoman said.

“They are Finglas south, east and west, Glasnevin, Drumcondra, Merrion Road, Malahide Road, Cabra, Clondalkin, Ballyfermot, Tallaght, Walkinstown, Crumlin Road, South Circular Road, Pearse Street, Sandymount, Kilmacud, Goatstown, Ballinteer and Dundrum. As yet there are no final implementation dates for these areas.”

She said the Network Direct project was supported by the National Transport Authority and any route changes had to be approved by the authority before implementation.

Bríd Smith, councillor and co- ordinator of the Save Our Bus Services campaign, said the campaign was growing as the public became aware of the changes.

PASSENGERS PROTEST: PLANS TO TAKE 19 OFF ROUTE OPPOSED

A HANDFUL of protesters, members of the Save the Number 19 campaign, boarded the 3.50pm service of the bus yesterday at Bulfin Road in Kilmainham. They were there to carry a petition with 5,000 signatures against plans to eliminate the route to the headquarters of the National Transport Authority in the city.

Organiser Brian Stafford said withdrawal of the number 19 would affect people across the city, from Inchicore, through Harold’s Cross, Camden Street, Phibsboro and Finglas.

“This is a unique route,” Mr Stafford said. “A significant number of people use it to attend hospital and doctor appointments. Many are elderly and for many the 19 bus is their only realistic option. If it is scrapped, people will be very badly hit here.”

Patricia Larkin, an elderly Bulfin resident, said that she used the service “quite a lot”. “I want to keep a local service because I use it to go to Camden Street. I volunteer with Alone and if the 19 went I’d have to get two buses.”

John Francis Smith, also elderly, said he used the 19 to go to eye appointments in Harrington Street. “I don’t know how I’d get there without the 19. I suppose I’d have to walk to Rialto to catch a bus and I have a bad hip.”

A spokeswoman for Dublin Bus said the 19 route was not being scrapped. “Yes, the route number 19 will no longer be used but the area, route and bus stops that it currently serves will continue to be served – albeit by different bus route numbers . . .

“Route 19 will be replaced on the south side of the city with a realigned route 68. The 68 will operate from Newcastle to Hawkins Street and will serve Clondalkin, Bulfin Road, South Circular Road and Camden Street . . .

“This route will operate via Bulfin Road and then on the exact same route alignment, serving the exact same bus stops as the current route 19 does in south Dublin.”

© 2011 The Irish Times
Some people will protest anything. Some routes (such as the 46A) have been improved massively because of Network Direct. I think the project is going well but needs to be rolled out faster.
Old June 20th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #12
Catmalojin

Quote:
After a 10-year wait integrated ticketing is finally arriving . . . isn't it?

CONOR POPE

Mon, Jun 20, 2011

IRISH PEOPLE could be forgiven if they howled with laughter at the recent news that Siim Kallas, the European Commission vice-president and commissioner responsible for transport, was launching an ambitious plan to create a unified journey planner that would allow people to book tickets on all modes of transport across all countries in the European Union – and then travel with a single ticket.

EU-wide integrated ticketing? Tickets that would allow you take buses, planes, boats, trains and other modes of transport, anywhere in Europe, using one ticket booked on a website? Is he for real?

Apparently he is. “I do not see why there is such a big patchwork of journey planners when there is supposed to be one European market,” Kallas said earlier this month.

“I want to travel through Europe, switching from air to rail or sea, to urban or road transport with a single ticket planned and bought online. This is why I am launching this challenge today.”

The idea of an integrated pan-European ticketing system will seem wildly optimistic to Irish people, who have waited nearly two decades for such a system to be rolled out covering public transport in Dublin only.

Kallas has insisted, however, the system will not be difficult to set up. He has pointed out that the technology already exists to create a one-stop journey planner.

“We just need to get things started so that millions of Europeans are able to plan their journey with just a few simple clicks,” he said.

The challenge “for a truly European journey planner” is open to everyone, from companies and organisations to anyone with an interest in travelling, he added.

Once a shortlist of options has been drawn up, the public will be asked to vote for the one they like the best, and the winner will receive financial help from the European Commission to promote the idea.

The eujourneyplanner.eu site features a selection of existing national journey planners on a clickable map of Europe.

Ireland does not feature on the map because integrated ticketing and advanced journey planners are not something we are good at. We would appear to be hilariously rubbish at them.

The farcical story of our integrated ticket plan is long and wearying, and has taken up the time of five successive transport ministers without anything tangible for consumers to get their hands on.

The job has passed through so many hands that it is almost impossible to know who to blame. Given that Fianna Fáil was in power for the majority of the time it has taken to make integrated ticketing a reality, the finger of blame might as well be pointed at them.

Mary O’Rourke first launched an integrated ticketing project for Dublin in May 1999 and the Railway Procurement Agency took over the project in 2002.

The first smart card was launched by the then Minister for Transport Séamus Brennan in April 2004 and he promised a totally integrated system by the following year.

Next up was a new Minister for Transport Martin Cullen, who clearly hadn’t learned anything about chicken counting from his predecessors, said in March 2005 that the system would be rolled out at the beginning of the following year.

In February 2008, the then Minister for Transport, Noel Dempsey, told the Dáil an integrated ticketing system covering Dublin Bus, the Luas and Morton’s private bus network would be launched in September 2009.

He assured his fellow TDs that it would be extended to Iarnród Éireann, Dart and commuter rail services within a further 12 months, after which Bus Éireann would get its chance to introduce the system on a number of its commuter routes.

Happy days? Not even close. The deadline came and went and there was no seamless movement between modes of transport.

More than two years later, in August 2010, this newspaper carried a report saying that integrated ticketing, involving a smart card for the Luas and Dublin Bus, would be fully in place by the middle of 2011 – or, to put it another way, by now.

At the time, readers were assured that the services of Irish Rail, private bus operators and Bus Éireann would be then added within another six months as part of a project that would cost €55 million.

At the time, Tim Gaston of the Integrated Ticketing Project Office said the project was “taking longer to get to the final delivery day than we had all hoped, but good progress has been made”.

Talk about understating the obvious.

Most recently, a briefing document prepared in March for the new Minister for Transport, Leo Varadkar, said the full launch of an integrated ticketing system for Dublin Bus, Dart and Luas services is “expected” in August of this year.

Amazingly, it looks like it will happen before the autumn.

“We are approaching the final phase,” says Sara Morris of National Transport Authority, the body that took over implementation of the scheme from the Department of Transport earlier this year.

“Live testing is starting in a couple of weeks. The timetable is predicated on no massive problems emerging in the testing phase. It will be launched with Dublin Bus and Luas, and the rail network will come on stream shortly after that.”

So, what can people expect from a smart card that has been more than 10 years in the planning. It is, she says, going to be “quite sophisticated and will operate like an e-purse.”

It will cut out the need to carry change for the bus, stop people paying over the odds for buses because they only have a €2 coin for a €1.20 fare, and take away the need to know how much a fare is from one destination to another, because the card will work it out for you.

Dublin Bus has also promised it will become more efficient because boarding times will be faster as there will be fewer people fiddling with small change and quizzing drivers about fares.

It is typical that Irish users of public transport wait years for consumer-friendly initiates and then three come along at once.

In addition to the roll-out of integrated ticketing, electronic information signs which tell the “real time” buses are due have started operating at selected bus stops in Dublin city, a full 10 years after they were first due to be introduced.

In February, 10 bus stops were fitted with display screens and about 500 signs will be operational before the end of the year. It uses a fairly basic GPS system to identify the position of approaching buses and to update the arrival time shown on an electronic display unit.

It completely transforms the experience of waiting for a bus. Before their introduction, timetables were little more than a loose guide to a bus’s arrival time, and more typically a complete fiction.

Now, if consumers know they have only two or three minutes to wait for a bus, they are more likely to do so.

And there is more good news coming down the bus lane. A web- and text-based service to provide bus arrival information at all stops is also to be introduced across the bus network. It will cover stops not fitted with the new bus-arrival screens.

It can’t be long before a smart phone app is developed that will allow people anywhere in the country to work out where their bus is and how long it will take to get to them.

If that happens then, to paraphrase Microdisney singer Cathal Coughlan, it won’t just be losers who take the buses, but everyone.

© 2011 The Irish Times
It can't come soon enough.
Old June 21st, 2011, 08:35 PM   #13
Catmalojin

Quote:
Malahide Road
Monday, June 20, 2011

Dublin Bus would like to thank all its customers for feedback received during the consultation period relating to routes serving the Malahide Road. Following a thorough analysis a number of revisions have been made to the original proposals. Revised services are outlined below and will be introduced on a phased basis over the coming months.

These service changes cover the following existing routes: 17a, 20b, 27, 27b, 27x, 42, 42a, 42b, 43, 104 and 128. Customers in this area are currently experiencing the benefits of Network Direct with the revised 17a operating to Blanchardstown Centre. These changes will significantly enhance the network of services for our customers, reflecting the needs of the community and providing increased integration with Rail, Luas and key public services (e.g. Hospitals)

Implementation will commence over the coming months on a phased basis which will provide the Malahide, Coolock, Artane and Beaumont areas with more direct, high frequency and punctual bus services with improved cross city connections. Please click here to view a diagram on services in these areas

High frequency services
Route 17a, 27 & 128 will have peak weekday frequencies of 10 minutes or better.

Improved connections for customers
Route 17a currently operates from Kilbarrack to The Blanchardstown Centre offering our customers a direct connection to Beaumont Hospital, Cappagh Hospital, Ballycoolin & Connolly Hospital.

Route 20b will be renamed route 14. It will offer significantly improved connections to the south city including Rathmines and Dundrum. It will continue to operate from its current terminus (Ardlea Road) serving Skelly’s Lane, Beaumont Road, Collins Avenue, Malahide Road, Burgh Quay/Eden Quay, St. Stephen’s Green, Rathmines, Ballinteer and Dundrum. Some departures will operate via Beaumont Hospital.

Route 27 will be amalgamated with route 77 and operate cross city to Jobstown, Tallaght. It will terminate at Edenmore Park operating via Millbrook Road, Darndale, Northside SC, Coolock, Artane, Fairview, Connolly Rail Station, Burgh Quay, Dame Street, Cork Street, Crumlin and Walkinstown to Tallaght.

Route 27b will be renamed route 79 and will offer improved connections to the south west of the city. It will operate from Kilmore (Castletimon) to Park West via Trim Road, Beaumont Hospital, Kilbarron Road, Kilmore Road, Ardlea Road, Malahide Road, Connolly Rail Station, North/South Quays, Heuston Rail Station, Kilmainham, Sarsfield Road and Ballyfermot.

Route 27x will continue to offer a direct connection between Coolock and Merrion Street, St Vincent’s Hospital and UCD Belfield.

Route 42 will operate all trips from Sands Hotel via Portmarnock and The Hill to Malahide Village then via Seabury to the City Centre.

Route 42b will be renamed route 27a and operate to the City Centre via Millbrook, Edenmore, Springdale, Harmonstown Road, McAuley Road, Artane Roundabout and Malahide Road.

Route 43 will continue to operate as currently with revised timetables.

Route 104 will operate from Beaumont Hospital to Clontarf (Conquer Hill) via Northside S.C., Darndale, Clare Hall (Tesco), Donaghmede SC, Tonlegee Road, Edenmore , Harmonstown, Vernon Avenue, Blackheath Park and Castle Avenue.

Route 128 will be extended to Ballycullen serving St. Stephen’s Green, Rathmines, Rathgar, Terenure and Templeogue

Timetable Changes
All timetables will be redesigned so that they will be easier to understand. Please note that new timetables read from left to right and then line by line as in a book or magazine. Weekdays are given their own column separated by colour. All routes will now have stop-specific departure times at selected locations for e.g. Route 27 will have specific departure times from Eden Quay and College Street making it easier to plan your journey

Route - Peak - Off Peak
14 - 15 - 20
17a - 10 - 20
27 - 10 - 15
27a - 60 - 60
79 - 12 - 12
42 - 20 - 30
43 - 15 - 60
104 - 60 - 60
128 - 10 - 12

Link
Old July 21st, 2011, 07:43 PM   #14
Catmalojin

Press release from the Department of Transport:

Quote:
LIVE TEXT & APP SERVICE TO COME FOR BUS PASSENGERS WITH OVER 500 ON STREET INFO SIGNS – MINISTER KELLY

21 - 07 - 2011
  • Over 500 Street Signs for Greater Dublin Area with Testing to commence in Cork
  • One-number text service for all real-time bus transport to come
  • iPhone and Android Apps and an API at advanced stage
  • Roll-out next year in Galway, Limerick, Waterford
Minister with responsibility for public and commuter transport Alan Kelly TD today (21 July 2011) announced further enhancements to the roll-out of real-time passenger information for public transport bus passengers across Ireland.

Over 300 Real-Time Bus Information signs will be displayed in Dublin by September, bringing that total to over 500 between Dublin and Cork by year end. There will be a live text service to come online in autumn with a smart phone app service to follow shortly after.

Speaking today, Minister Kelly said: “We have to make the commuting experience more convenient and we are embracing technology to do that,”
“With the new developments being rolled-out in the coming months, gone will be the days of staring into the distance wondering when the bus is going to come. Getting real-time information on services removes the stress factor from this. We will have in the region of 500 real-time bus signs displayed between Dublin and Cork by year end. We will be commencing testing in Cork shortly which will lead to a roll-out after that,” he stated.

As part of the Real-Time Information Strategy, a live text and app service is currently being developed and will be online in the Greater Dublin Area this autumn.

A text service and a live app-service are also to come on stream for the areas that will not have a real-time bus information sign. The National Transport Authority along with Dublin Bus & Bus Eireann and Dublin City Council are working to deliver this service which will greatly enhance public transport in Ireland.

“We will also be rolling out a one-number text service along with smart-phone app. The idea is that you can text your bus-stop number to a single number and you will then receive a text telling you how long the bus will be. This builds on existing sites such as whensmybus.ie, but the new one-number text service and smart-phone app will provide an integrated, one-stop-shop for information on services.”

Minister Kelly continued: “The Programme for Government recognises the need to rebalance transport policy to favour public transport and in order to get people out of their cars, and onto public transport, we need to change our perception of how we plan our journeys. Too many of us automatically assume the car is the only option, but public transport services have improved significantly and we have to make it an attractive option for people.”

ENDS
Years overdue but a welcome development nonetheless.

They should also add Luas and train stations to that real-time text number (we already have DARTXT which could be easily added).
Old July 31st, 2011, 01:41 PM   #15
Catmalojin

Network Direct:

Quote:
Ballinteer / Dundrum / Whitechurch / Milltown / Ranelagh / Beaumont
Friday, July 29, 2011

Dublin Bus is pleased to announce that the revised network for the above areas will commence implementation from Sunday 7th August 2011. These service changes cover the following existing routes: 14, 14a, 15b, 20b, 44, 44b, 48a, 61 and 161.

What does Network Direct mean for you?
The revised bus network in the above areas will provide a more direct and simplified bus service with improved reliability and punctuality. The revised services will improve the cross city linkages between Ballinteer / Rathmines and the North East of the City. Please click here to view a diagram on services in these areas.

More reliable journey times
The revised services will have more customer friendly timetables with departures at even intervals throughout the day. This will help ensure that our customers benefit from consistent journey times and frequency of service.

Improved connections for customers
Route 14, 14a and 20b will be amalgamated and called route 14 and will offer significantly improved cross city options for customers including improved linkages to Bus Aras, Connolly Rail Station, Luas Green and Luas Red lines.

The service will operate from Dundrum via Ballinteer, Rathgar, Rathmines, St. Stephen’s Green, College Greet, Westmoreland Street / D’Olier Street, Eden Quay / Burgh Quay, Amiens Street, North Strand, Fairview, Donnycarney, Collins Avenue and Beaumont (Artane Castle). See full routing details below.

Route 44 will continue to provide a direct connection from Enniskerry, Stepaside and Milltown to the City Centre. There is no change proposed to the route or stops at this stage. Timetables will also be reviewed at a later date on route 44. The future timetables for route 44 and 61 will be integrated offering our customers to Ranelagh, Milltown and Dundrum a bus every 30 minutes throughout the day.

There will be no change to route 44b at this stage.

Route 61 will operate from Whitechurch via Ballyboden Road, Willbrook Road, Nutgrove Avenue and Dundrum to the City Centre (Townsend Street). This will provide alternative services for customers on route 15b/74a (Whitechurch, Ballyboden and Willbrook Road), 16a (Nutgrove Avenue) and 44/48a (Milltown and Ranelagh). Operating at hourly intervals during the day, route 61 will improve the integration of Ballyboden and Rathfarnham with Luas and the Dundrum, Milltown and Ranelagh areas.

Dublin Bus is pleased to announce that key departures on route 61 will operate to Tibradden & Rockbrook providing a direct link to and from the city centre at peak times. As part of this change route 15b will no longer serve Whitechurch. Rotue 15b will terminate at Ballyboden Way.

Route 161 will be extended to Dundrum Luas Station providing connections from Tibradden/Rockbrook and Whitechurch to Nutgrove SC and Dundrum Luas Station. The service will be realigned in the Nutgrove area (see full details below).

Route 48a will no longer operate. Route 75 and 175 will be changed at a later date. See below for route alignment details.

Route Alignments

Route 14 will operate from Dundrum Luas Station via Ballinteer Road, Ballinteer Avenue, Broadford Road, Barton Road East, Beaumont Avenue, Braemor Road, Braemor Park, Orwell Road, Rathgar Road, Rathmines Road Lower, Richmond Street South, Earlsfort Terrace, St. Stephen’s Green, Westmoreland Street/D’Olier Street, Eden Quay/Burgh Quay, Bus Aras, Amiens Street (Connolly Rail Station), North Strand Road, Fairview, Malahide Road, Collins Avenue, Beaumont Road, Skelly’s Lane and terminate opposite Artane Castle Shopping Centre (Ardlea Road/Maryfield Road).

Route 61 will operate from Tibradden/Rockbrook & Whitechurch via Taylor’s Lane, Ballyboden Road, Willbrook Road, Grange Road, Nutgrove Avenue, Churchtown Road, Dundrum Road, Milltown Road, Sandford Road, Ranelagh, Ranelagh Road, Charlemont Street, Earlsfort Terrace, Kildare Street / Merrion Square West, Westland Row and Pearse Street /Townsend Street. The future timetables for route 44 and 61 will be integrated offering our customers to Ranelagh, Milltown and Dundrum a bus every 30 minutes throughout the day.

Route 161 will provide a connection from Tibradden and Rockbrook to LUAS via Edmonstown Road, Taylor’s Lane, Whitechurch, Grange Road, Stone Mason’s Way, Nutgrove Way, Nutgrove Avenue, Churctown Road Lower and Dundrum (Luas).

Route 75 (future alignment)
Tallaght (The Square), Old Blessington Road, Old Bawn Road, Firhouse Road, Butterfield Avenue, Grange Road, Nutgrove Avenue, Churchtown Road, Dundrum, Kilmacud Road Upper, Sandyford Industrial Estate, Leopardstown Road, Stillorgan Road N11, Foxrock Church, Kill Lane, Kill Avenue, Dún Laoghaire Rail Station.

Route 175 (future alignment)
Tallaght (The Square), Old Blessington Road, Old Bawn Road, Killininny Road, St Colmcille’s Way, Scholarstown Road, Ballyboden Way, Taylor’s Lane, Grange Road, Stone Mason’s Way, Broadford Road, Ballinteer Avenue, Wyckham Way, Dundrum Shopping Centre, Sandyford Road, Sandyford Industrial Estate, Stillorgan Shopping Centre, Stillorgan Park, Monkstown Link Road, Monkstown Avenue, Mounttown Road, York Road, Dún Laoghaire Rail Station

Route - Peak - Off Peak
14 - 10-15 - 20
44 - 60 - 60
61 - 45 - 60

Timetable Changes
All timetables will be redesigned so that they will be easier to understand. Please note that new timetables read from left to right and then line by line as in a book or magazine. Weekdays are given their own column separated by colour. All routes will now have stop-specific departure times at selected locations for e.g. Route 14 will have specific departure times from D’Olier Street making it easier to plan your journey.
Old August 18th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #16
Catmalojin

An update from Transport for Ireland regarding the RTPI display locations:

Quote:
Why were some bus stops selected and not others?

Here are maps of where RTPI signs are planned to be deployed – subject to esb connections and other considerations. There will be some additional locations for Commercial Bus Operators

RTPI Locations for Dublin Bus (1.94MB PDF File) | RTPI Locations for Bus Eireann (1.63MB PDF File)

For the location rationale, see below.

Sign locations are based on where they will provide information to the greatest number of bus passengers, and to include as many main routes as possible. Factors taken into account include:

(1) The number of bus services and the number of existing and potential passengers using the stops each day.

(2) Locations near to key services like shopping districts or key public buildings.

(3) Proximity to Quality Bus Corridors (QBCs).

(4) Proximity to major transport interchanges.

Unfortunately, there can’t be an information sign at every stop, and even some qualifying bus stops will not have an associated on-street sign. This is because the cost of providing the signs at a particular location may be much greater than normal due to the nature of the actual site or the works which would be required. However, all 5,000 Dublin Bus stops will be included on the website and SMS phone services when launched.
Great to see them being expanded nationally.
Old August 18th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #17
Catmalojin

Also, more Network Direct changes:

Quote:
Services changes in the Finglas, Glasnevin, South Circular Road, Limekiln, Kimmage, Rathcoole and Newcastle areas.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Dublin Bus is pleased to announce changes to services in the Finglas, Glasnevin, South Circular Road, Limekiln, Kimmage, Rathcoole and Newcastle areas.

As part of Network Direct from Sunday 28th August, a more direct, high frequency, punctual bus service will be introduced to the above areas. These changes will involve existing routes 19, 19a, 68, 69 and 83. All revised services will operate timetables with improved frequencies and providing our customers with consistent intervals between departures.

Revised timetables can be viewed by clicking the below links.
Route 9
Route 68
Route 68a
Route 69
Route 83

Route 19 will be amalgamated with Route 83 and will operate as Route 83. There is no change to Route 83 on the southside. Route 83 will now serve Horizons Logistics Park, Dublin Airport Logistics Park, Charlestown Link Road, Grove Road/Grove Park Road, Ballygall Road West, Glasanaon Road, Tolka Estate Road, Glasnevin, Phibsboro, Church Street, and O’Connell Bridge to Kimmage. Click here to see full routing.

Route 19a will be Extended to Charlestown Shopping Centre and will be renamed route 9. Route 9 will operate on its current alignment serving the same stops with the exception of Beneavin Road, which it will now serve in both directions. Click here to see full routing.

Improved Service Frequencies
On weekdays, Routes 9, 83 and 122 will operate at 10 minute intervals during key peak times. Routes 9 and 83 will operate at 15 minute intervals during the day time with Route 122 operating at 20 minutes intervals. On Saturday’s Route 9 and 83 will operate at 15 minute intervals during the day. On Sunday’s Route 9 and 83 will operate at 20 minute intervals during the daytime. Route 122 will continue to operate at 20 minute intervals on Saturdays and Sundays.

Improved Accessibility
Customers will benefit from improved transport connections and accessibility with all routes now operating low floor double deck buses. Network Direct will also continue to deliver on improved journey times in the City Centre area as a result of a redesign of bus services in Dublin City.

Route Improvements
Route 9 will offer improved frequencies and will operate every 10 minutes at peak time and 15 minutes during the day time. Route 9 will have customer friendly timetables with more consistent intervals between journeys.

Route 83 will offer improved frequencies and will operate every 10 minutes at peak time and 15 minutes during the day time. Route 83 will have customer friendly timetables with more consistent intervals between journeys. Customers will have improved comfort levels with Route 83 now operating low floor double deck buses.

Route 68 will provide direct connections from Newcastle, Cherrywood, Clondalkin and Inchicore to key business and shopping areas in the southeast of the city. Route 68a will provide our customers in the Bulfin area with dedicated trips to and from the City Centre maintaining connections with the South Circular Road, Camden Street and Luas Green Line. Click here for full route details.

Route 69 will offer improved timetables with an hourly service operating at consistent intervals between journeys. Click here for full route details.

Recently revised Route 122 now operates from Drimnagh via Herberton Road, Rialto and South Circular Road to O’Connell Street and Navan Road improving transport options for our customers. Route 122 stops at the same stops as current route 19 between Rialto and Parnell Square. Click here for timetable and Google map.

Improved Connections
Route 9 will operate every 10 minutes at peak time to the City Centre via Charlestown Shopping Centre and will also serve Beneavin Road to and from the city

Route 9 will also provide the Lanesborough and Melville Estates with direct connections to Dublin City University (DCU).

Route 83 will operate every 10 minutes at peak time and will provide improved connections from Charlestown Link Road to Glasnevin, Church Street, South Great George’s Street and Kimmage.

Route 68 will offer customers from the Newcastle, Clondalkin, Inchicore and Bulfin areas, a direct City Centre connection via South Circular Road, Camden Street and South Great George’s Street.

Route 68a will offer our customers from Bulfin a direct City Centre connection via South Circular Road, Camden Street and South Great George’s Street.

Route 69 will continue to provide our customers from Rathcoole with a direct City Centre connection to Clondalkin, Heuston Station (Parkgate Street) and the City Centre. Route 69x will continue to provide an Xpresso service between Rathcoole and the City Centre.

Route 122 will operate on the South Circular Road to Rialto and then on to Drimnagh via Herberton Road thus improving travel options for customers in this area.

Note: Route 19a will be renamed Route 9 and Route 19 will be withdrawn as part of this change.

Alternative services for route 19/19a/68/69/83
Northside: 9, 11, 40, 40a, 83, 140
Southside: 9, 51b, 51c, 68, 68a, 69, 78a, 83, 122, 123
Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:40 PM   #18
Catmalojin

More QBC improvements:

Quote:
Phibsborough Quality Bus Corridor
Phibsborough Road and Prospect Road, Dublin 7

Dublin City Council proposes to make changes to the road layout on Phibsborough Road and Prospect Road, Dublin 7. The changes are intended to improve operating conditions for public transport serving the area.
  • Phibsborough Road: the existing northbound layout comprises two general traffic lanes and an advisory cycle lane. The proposal involves the amalgamation of the advisory cycle lane with one of the general traffic lanes to create a new shared bus and cycle lane between the Phibsborough Shopping Centre and the junction with Whitworth Road.
  • Prospect Road: the existing northbound layout comprises two lanes for general traffic turning onto Prospect Way and one lane for general traffic travelling onto the Finglas Road. The proposal is to convert one of the general traffic turning lanes onto Prospect Way into a new shared bus and cycle lane.
  • The proposed bus and cycle lane will operate from 07:00-19:00hrs, Monday - Saturday, except between the junctions of Connaught Street and Whitworth Road where it will operate from 07:00-10:00hrs and 12:30-19:00hrs, Monday - Saturday.
  • The proposal involves minor works to the traffic island at the junction of Prospect Road and Prospect Way.
  • The layout of the southbound traffic lanes is not affected by this proposal.

Plans illustrating the proposed scheme will be on display during normal opening hours from Monday 22nd August 2011 to Monday 19th September 2011 at the following locations:
  • Phibsborough Library, Dublin 7.
  • Dublin City Council, Cabra Area Office, 97 New Cabra Road, Dublin 7.
  • Dublin City Council, Civic Offices, Wood Quay, Dublin 8.

Written submissions or observations can be sent to:-

Executive Manager,
Roads & Traffic Department,
Dublin City Council,
Civic Offices,
Wood Quay,
Dublin 8.
Email: observations@dublincity.ie

The closing date for the receipt of submissions is:-

16.30hrs on Monday 3rd October 2011.

Link to Drawings;

Scheme Location Drawing
T-QBN-15A-001
T-QBN-15A-002
T-QBN-15A-003

Scheme Documentation;

Site Notice
Information Leaflet – Irish
Information Leaflet - English
Every little helps...
Old September 16th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #19
Catmalojin

Finally!

Quote:
Save your stop number
Friday, September 16, 2011

Save your stop number so that you’ll always know when your bus is due.

All 5000 bus stops and shelters on the Dublin Bus Network have been given a unique number.

You will be able to use this number via SMS, online or via the iPhone App to access Real Time Passenger Information, available late September 2011, please check back here for updates.

Save your stop number so that you’ll always know when your bus is due. Your bus stop number can be found under the Dublin Bus castle logo at the top of your bus stop or bus shelter.

Dublin Bus
So, we should have the SMS service within the next two weeks!

The beta-version of the online map can be found here. Not all stops are active at the moment (though a large number are), but presumably they all will be by the end of the month.

You can also use the map to see the entire path of every route including stops (go to 'Public transport' > 'Bus service search' and insert a route number), which is useful if you don't know the nearest stop on a certain route to a certain location.
Old September 26th, 2011, 12:04 AM   #20
Catmalojin

And it's live!

http://www.dublinbus.ie/rtpi/

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/RTPI/Real-Time-Information/

The FAQ:

Quote:
RTPI – Real Time Information - FAQs

What is Transport for Ireland?
The National Transport Authority will develop the Transport for Ireland name as a “one stop shop” for public transport information. Alongside real time passenger information, the National Transport Authority is developing a National Intermodal Journey Planner and is delivering the Integrated Ticketing project. These services will make it easier for public transport users, including visitors to Ireland, to access information on all aspects of travel, such as timetables, real time information and journey planners.

What is Real Time Passenger Information?
Real Time Passenger Information (RTPI) will show you when your bus is due to arrive at your bus stop so you can plan your journey more accurately.

How can I get Real Time Passenger Information for any Dublin Bus stop?
You can access Real Time Passenger Information a number of different ways depending on where you are or what suits you, the easiest way to access Real Time Information is by entering your bus stop number on dublinbus.ie, TransportforIreland.ie, by texting on your phone or by using the Dublin Bus Apps.

How do I find my Bus Stop number?
You can find it on the top of the stop or shelter just below the Dublin Bus castle symbol.

Sources of Real Time Passenger Information
On-Street Signs
The plan is to locate approximately 500 signs in the Greater Dublin Area and 47 signs in Cork on a phased basis during 2011. It is also planned to expand the system to Waterford, Galway and Limerick in the future. The National Transport Authority, working with Dublin City Council and Dublin Bus are co-ordinating the monitoring of the live signs and invite public feedback. As part of the project, Dublin City Council has removed a large number of redundant poles so that the project does not add to street clutter.

On The Web - TransportforIreland.ie or dublinbus.ie/rtpi.

Phase 1 The first phase of Real Time Passenger Information on the web is for all 5000 Dublin Bus stops. This information is taken from the Dublin Bus internal automatic vehicle location system, and it is the same information as available at dublinbus.ie/rtpi.
Phase 2 The Transport for Ireland website will continue to develop. Real Time Passenger Information for Bus Eireann will be available early next year and information for other bus and rail transport operators will follow. The multi-operator, multi-city Real Time Passenger Information service will show all real time information in the one place – it will look similar to that currently under test at www.rtpi.ie. This web service will refresh automatically and will have an associated API.

How to Search for Real Time Information
Search by Bus Stop Number: Go to the Real Time Information section within the site. Type your bus stop number into the Bus Stop Number search box and press ‘Go’. You’ll get a list of bus arrival times at that stop within the next hour. If you can’t find your bus stop number, you can search by using one of the alternative search options on any page within the Real Time Information section:

Search by Bus Route: If you want to search by Bus Route, simply enter the number of the route you want, say the number 14, and click ‘Go’. Then choose the direction of travel. You’ll get a list of stops to choose from. Pick a stop by selecting ‘view’ to see Real Time Passenger Information at that stop.

Search by Bus Stop Address: If you don’t know your bus stop number yet, you can search by entering a street address into the bar and clicking ‘Go’. Then pick a stop by selecting ‘View’ to see Real Time Information at that stop.

Search by Map: Finally, you can select this button to search for a bus stop by using the map. In order to locate a bus stop, zoom down to the smallest level where all bus stops are displayed. In order to move to a different area either pan around the map or zoom back out, and then zoom back in to display the bus stops. After selecting a bus stop from the map, a separate window opens for that bus stop listing the next departures.

When you select a bus stop – what happens then?
The results page shows you the bus routes using the stop as well as the destination of each bus, the predicted time of each bus and whether the bus is low-floor accessible. It may also show you that the bus may be delayed with an ‘!’ sign. At the top is the time that the information was sent by the system. You can press ‘Refresh’ to get more up to date results.

SMS
You can also get the time of the next 4 buses from any bus stop on the Dublin Bus network directly to your mobile phone. Just text your bus stop number to 53035 (e.g. text 1234 to 53035). You can refine your selection at busier stops by including your route number, so text ‘bus stop number’, space, followed by your ‘route number’ to 53035. Costs 30c per message received. Network operator charges may apply, service provided by Open Sky Data Systems.

Stop numbers are displayed on the top of all bus stops in the Dublin Bus network, you can also find your bus stop number online at dublinbus.ie.

If the full RTPI service is for some reason not available, a free message will be returned e.g. “Content is unavailable, you have not been charged, normal operator charges may apply” To provide this service, the service provider Open Sky sends a “free” message to the subscriber; this message is paid for by National Transport Authority.

The same SMS number – 53035 – will also be used for Bus Eireann Services, and other public transport services when they join the RTPI system.

Smartphone Apps
At the moment the official Dublin Bus app is available FREE from the iTunes store. Android app available to download from end of November.

Smartphone Apps - Transport for Ireland apps
The National Transport Authority will have an official TransportforIreland iPhone and Android app when the multi-operator web service is available.

API’s
The National Transport Authority intends to make an API available when the multi-operator web service is launched.

Will other public transport operators be included in the Real Time Passenger Information service?
Real Time Passenger Information for Bus Eireann will be available on the system in the coming months. The Real Time Passenger Information system is designed to be able to take information from other licensed bus operators, once information for their fleet is available and tested. The National Transport Authority is in discussions with representatives of commercial bus operators and LUAS and Irish Rail in this regard.

How does the bus arrival information system work?
Buses must be equipped with an Automatic Vehicle Location transmitter, which can track the bus, using a Global Positioning System (GPS). On-board software predicts the arrival time at the next bus stop. This information is then sent to the sign through a central control system. The screen at the bus stop counts down the minutes until the bus arrives. Updates are usually received from the vehicle location system at 30 second intervals, so information on the signs is regularly updated.

How accurate is the information?
The National Transport Authority is committed to providing the most accurate service possible. We are monitoring the service and we would appreciate your feedback using the form on this website. The system will be fine-tuned in response to testing and feedback.

What are the factors that may affect the accuracy of Real Time Information?

Operational considerations:
  • The Dublin Bus Network carries, on an average week day, approximately 400,000 passengers, on a fleet of 1,000 buses, stopping at approximately 5,000 stops. Dublin Bus carries 70% of all bus commuters in Dublin during peak times. Unlike trains or trams, buses move in various directions, they stop more often and are subject to traffic congestion or disruptions. When the number of stops are compared to LUAS (49 stops) and DART (31 stops), the extent and complexity of Dublin’s Bus system can be seen. With such an extensive bus system, technical problems or operational disruptions can sometimes occur.
  • Unanticipated problems such as a road closure or a mechanical problem can sometimes affect bus services. Occasional incidents can occur where a street is closed e.g., on St Patrick's Day, for a march or a big sporting occasion. In such cases, Dublin Bus Inspectors sometimes need to make a short notice change to scheduled bus services and it may not always be possible to reflect this on individual signs.
  • The real time system was developed to respond as far as possible to service disruptions – e.g., if a bus is stuck in traffic the waiting time can increase – however some disruptions could still affect the accuracy of the prediction.
Software and communication considerations
  • Occasionally a fault may occur in communications between the central server and the on-bus equipment.
  • Automatic Vehicle Location equipment is a new technology on the Dublin Bus fleet and, as with any new software system, some fine-tuning may be required.
  • Occasionally software updates may be required – Dublin Bus is currently implementing the Network Direct project, which means that services and schedules are changing and information is being updated regularly.
Why does the waiting time increase or stay at the same time for a number of minutes sometimes?
Real time information predicts the expected time of arrival by knowing where the bus is currently located. Your bus could arrive right at the time shown, or, it could occasionally get stuck in traffic. Because of this the arrival time at the bus stop could sometimes change back and forward accordingly. This service aims to provide the most immediate and accurate information to the waiting passenger at any point in time.

How do blind people access the information?
The SMS text service was developed to work with text to speech programmes.

Why were some bus stops selected for signs and not others?
Here are maps of where RTPI signs are planned to be deployed – subject to ESB connections and other considerations. There will be some additional locations for Commercial Bus Operators

RTPI Locations for Dublin Bus (1.94MB PDF File)
RTPI Locations for Bus Eireann (1.63MB PDF File)

Sign locations are based on where they will provide information to the greatest number of bus passengers, and to include as many main routes as possible. Factors taken into account include:
  1. The number of bus services and the number of existing and potential passengers using the stops each day.
  2. Locations near to key services like shopping districts or key public buildings.
  3. Proximity to Quality Bus Corridors (QBCs).
  4. Proximity to major transport interchanges.
Unfortunately, there can’t be an information sign at every stop, and even some qualifying bus stops will not have an associated on-street sign. This is because the cost of providing the signs at a particular location may be much greater than normal due to the nature of the actual site or the works which would be required. However, all 5,000 Dublin Bus stops will be included on the website and SMS phone services when launched.

Who is responsible for this service?
The Real Time Passenger Information service has been developed by Dublin City Council on behalf of the National Transport Authority. The service is delivered in co-operation with Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann, which is responsible for the roll out of the automatic vehicle location system and the real time arrival predictions for its buses. The service will be launched in other cities across Ireland, and the National Transport Authority is working to ensure that Bus Eireann and other public transport operators are included in the future. Dublin City Council managed the procurement of the signs and software system, and it is also co-ordinating the installation of the signs in the Greater Dublin Area.

The National Transport Authority would like to acknowledge Dublin City Council, who have taken on this role as part of its commitment to existing and new public transport users. The National Transport Authority, established in 2009, has responsibility for contracting and securing the provision of public passenger transport services for the travelling public, including information services. You can visit our website at www.nationaltransport.ie

How much did the Real Time Bus Arrival System Cost?
The total cost for the system to be established for 5 cities is estimated to cost €6.5m. Annual costs will also apply for example, with communication systems and for software maintenance and updates. The signs are supplied by Data Displays from Co. Clare, the software supplier is ACIS.

Value for money – Dublin Bus carried 119 million passengers in 2010. Bus Eireann carries 37.2 million passengers on scheduled services per year, and more passengers are carried by other commercial licensed operators.

The investment by the National Transport Authority per bus passenger for the Real Time Passenger Information service amounts to approximately 4c per passenger.

In addition, the experience of real time bus arrival systems in other countries has shown that they can contribute to an increase in the number of people choosing to use the bus.

Bilingual Real Time Passenger Service
The Authority is working with Dublin City Council and the bus operators to prepare a bus stop database in Irish which can be displayed within the 19 characters available on the signs. This included all 5000 bus stops and all destinations, this work took some time to complete. The work is due to be complete by the end of October and will allow us to implement the change to bilingual on street signs in the coming weeks.

A bilingual web service
The multi-operator, multi-city web service will be bilingual. This is one of the requirements for developing stage 2 of the web service. This is due to be available at the start of 2012.

The route 90 service is not showing on the signs?
The route 90 bus is not appearing on the 2 RTPI signs it stops at because the route 90 services are operated by extra buses which are only allocated on the day.
I'm genuinely impressed. It's taken long enough, but it's a great system. It also seems that the stop information has scheduled times for each stop if they haven't left the terminus yet - this means that we could be getting timetables for each individual stop, rather than 'from terminus' one. This would be great if it happened.

Also very happy with the news that it'll be a national project with the same website and SMS number for all national public transport (not just bus) services. Long overdue, but definitely worth it!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: