daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 26th, 2016, 09:36 PM   #1981
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Wow, you got some nerve... You are the one that f***** up this thread. You came in here attacking Northern Europeans for not being able to build "proper buildings", now you attack Eastern Europeans. Seriously, just get out of here, ASAP.
Of course I'm leaving this thread where everything seems to be extremely politicized, even my posts and ironically I'm the one that ruined it although I remember people claiming that Barcelona is a Mediterranean wasteland (the home of some of the biggest architectural wonders), people classifying Romanesque architecture as Croatian and similar nonsenses. Bye. Enjoy the aesthetics of the Corinthian order.
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2016, 09:56 PM   #1982
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55230

Architecture lover, please stop making comment like this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture lover View Post
If it wasn't for the South European civilizations, some (other) people, would have never known how to design a proper building.
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 10:04 PM   #1983
Architecture lover

I am leaving this thread Yellow Fever, however there is something you might be interested in... But please don't start reading you'll find one hundred pages filled with nonsenses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gatlin View Post
The Humboldt Forum is a brilliant addition to Museum Island and Berlin. It represents the resilience and love for craftsmanship and quality that has defined Germany for so long. How anyone from some effete mediterranean backwater could diss Berlin is beyond me.
Old August 26th, 2016, 10:40 PM   #1984
JustinHerman

Likes (Received): 169

Leave then, Architecture lover. But I imagine you'll be back. At least I hope so.

Meantime, I've read this entire forum. There is a lot of "back & forth" here, most of it innocuous, some of it heated, and some even insulting. But that is only natural when a group of passionate people come together, whether on-line or in person. While those insulting posts could be toned down, I think this forum is, overall, thought-provoking and highly informative. That's why I, for one, enjoy visiting here. For everyone to post only material pleasing to everyone, i.e., preaching to the choir, all the time would make this forum a far less interesting place.

erbse, Fudgis liked this post
JustinHerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 11:04 PM   #1985
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 718

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DAHLIA View Post
Sorry King of Spam,but Gehry is,according to many,the greatest architect alive!
However,being tasteless is not considered as a crime...unless your hero,if elected,hires you as his devoted Goebbels!..
According to many, but not to all. Tastes differ. To be honest, Gehry is definitely one of the most controversial architects of our time, and to be honest, I don't like many of his buildings. However, I do acknowledge his great talent, and I actually like a couple of his buildings, like Walt Disney Concert Hall and New York's 8 Spruce Street.

Quote:
Of course I'm leaving this thread where everything seems to be extremely politicized, even my posts and ironically I'm the one that ruined it although I remember people claiming that Barcelona is a Mediterranean wasteland (the home of some of the biggest architectural wonders), people classifying Romanesque architecture as Croatian and similar nonsenses. Bye. Enjoy the aesthetics of the Corinthian order.
I don't recall anyone saying such a nonsense here, can you tell me who that was or when did it happen? Also, of course everyone will get mad by your statement, you practically dissed all Northern Europeans (Eastern as well) by saying they copied Romans and Greeks. If that was true, I doubt that countries like Germany or Denmark or whatever other Northern European country would receive any tourists, but surprisingly, they do. It seems they like all those "copies".

TM_Germany, erbse liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2016, 09:58 AM   #1986
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
What is this guy even talking about? Who mentioned Barcelona being a wasteland or romanesque architecture being Croatian in here? Either he is completely nuts or he accidentally replied in the wrong thread.
This thread is about the reconstruction of the Berlin City Palace as the Humboldt Forum, nothing more nothing less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHerman View Post
Leave then, Architecture lover. But I imagine you'll be back. At least I hope so.

Meantime, I've read this entire forum. There is a lot of "back & forth" here, most of it innocuous, some of it heated, and some even insulting. But that is only natural when a group of passionate people come together, whether on-line or in person. While those insulting posts could be toned down, I think this forum is, overall, thought-provoking and highly informative. That's why I, for one, enjoy visiting here. For everyone to post only material pleasing to everyone, i.e., preaching to the choir, all the time would make this forum a far less interesting place.
A constructive discussion is very welcome here. Coming into this thread just to insult all Northern Europeans and Eastern Europeans and rambling on like a crazy person about someone insulting Barcelona or Romanesque architecture (which is also off-topic) is definitely not the base for a constructive discussion and thus not welcome here. It is in fact against the etiquette/rules of this forum and any forum. That's why Yellow Fever, a moderator, came in here to interfere. I very much hope people like Architecture Lover stay away and get their bottled-up aggressions sorted out someplace else.

Last edited by Tiaren; August 27th, 2016 at 10:08 AM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2016, 11:18 AM   #1987
Architecture lover

Quote:
What is this guy even talking about? Who mentioned Barcelona being a wasteland or romanesque architecture being Croatian in here? Either he is completely nuts or he accidentally replied in the wrong thread.
This thread is about the reconstruction of the Berlin City Palace as the Humboldt Forum, nothing more nothing less.

A constructive discussion is very welcome here. Coming into this thread just to insult all Northern Europeans and Eastern Europeans and rambling on like a crazy person about someone insulting Barcelona or Romanesque architecture (which is also off-topic) is definitely not the base for a constructive discussion and thus not welcome here. It is in fact against the etiquette/rules of this forum and any forum. That's why Yellow Fever, a moderator, came in here to interfere. I very much hope people like Architecture Lover stay away and get their bottled-up aggressions sorted out someplace else.
Speaking about aggressive posts and insult throwing you should go back to page 68 you'll see what a lovely and constructive discussion you've had over there and you'll also see who's the one saying that Romanesque architecture is Croatian, let me give you some hints:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Croatian culture gave us Dubrovnik etc. It is important that our nation left something to this world, something it's proud of. And after all, those famous buildings still require renovations, sanations, so we are still leaving our mark on them by keeping them as they were when they were built. And it is absolutely important for a culture to have something which will represent it in this globalising world.
But as I said, this should be like really, really my last post over here (so please don't mention me anymore), just have in mind that this whole thread is heavily politicized and insult throwing is my definition for it, some people say my posts are among the most ridiculous on this forum, funny this whole thread seems way more ridiculous to me, just read that whole page and many many others and you'll see why my posts got this ridiculous over here, I had to fit in.
As a matter of fact I don't want to be some self-centered, egocentric person saying this is mine, don't play with it, because I absolutely adore how classical Paris looks, or how academic Washington DC looks, but oh well some people do know the meaning of the word respect, unlike some others, and to me it only looked that if you have zero respect for something then why do you use it in your own architecture.
I've said almost everything I wanted to say and if Yellow Fewer thinks it's inappropriate he can even delete it, but if he starts deleting then he's going to have so much work in this whole thread.
Old August 27th, 2016, 06:12 PM   #1988
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 718

Dubrovnik, a Romanesque city!?
If you were an actual "architecture lover", you would also know that Dubrovnik's buildings are mainly in Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque style as most of the city was reduced to dust because of an earthquake in 1667. I was referring to its walls and its role of one of the biggest ports of the Mediterranean, when it was a serious threat to Venice. I would really appreciate if you would stop putting words in my mouth, especially here on a forum where one can actually SEE the whole discussion and where it went. So, now I challenge you to find the words "Romanesque" and "Dubrovnik" in the same sentence from the page 68 that I wrote. Also, I would like for you to stop trolling and offending Eastern and Northern Europeans, it's not their fault that you weren't the one to teach them how to build "unique" buildings and not some "lazy copies".

Also, I seriously want to apologise to all those that want to see news from the construction site and not some people arguing about irrelevant things, but I just can't sit and watch when someone is obviously LYING and mentioning me in a negative context when I didn't ask for it nor caused it. If anyone ever feels offended by something I said, feel free to tell me, as the majority of things that turn out to be offensive weren't actually meant to be, but it's hard sometimes to express your whole opinion in a few sentences on a language that's not your native. An example of that is my post at page 68 that has things that I didn't want to say, and for which I've already apologised, but some people are obviously more interested in mindless trolling and arguing. I apologise once again for derailing this thread from its main star, Berliner Stadtschloss, one of the best examples of GERMAN BAROQUE architecture, not "wannabe Italian" Baroque.

erbse, Fudgis liked this post

Last edited by Titan Man; August 27th, 2016 at 07:36 PM.
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2016, 07:25 PM   #1989
Ozric
Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 15

I think it is safe to say that this building is a contentious one...

Some of you may be interested in reading my post-graduate thesis on the topic, found here.

I don't claim for it to be perfect, but a semi-decent background to the building and the history of the site.

albanyjd, Christi69, Tiaren, erbse liked this post
Ozric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 07:28 PM   #1990
Tiaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric View Post
I think it is safe to say that this building is a contentious one...

Some of you may be interested in reading my post-graduate thesis on the topic, found here.

I don't claim for it to be perfect, but a semi-decent background to the building and the history of the site.
To be able to read your thesis one has to sign up and then disclose personal information. I signed up, since I am already on Facebook, but I'm not giving you my personal info. Thanks but no thanks. :/

But I find it interesting you chose this to be your thesis topic. Why is that?

JustinHerman liked this post

Last edited by Tiaren; August 31st, 2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old August 31st, 2016, 10:44 PM   #1991
Ozric
Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
To be able to read your thesis one has to sign up and then disclose personal information. I signed up, since I am already on Facebook, but I'm not giving you my personal info. Thanks but no thanks. :/

But I find it interesting you chose this to be your thesis topic. Why is that?
Ah, I didn't know you had to do that, pretty sure it's not me personally getting your info though.

I simply had a curiosity about the site, having first seen it as an empty space following the demolition of the Palast. I was intrigued so I just started reading and researching, the result being a thesis written about four years after that first visit.
Ozric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2016, 04:15 AM   #1992
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 5135

Don't know what's worse: people saying a classical design that integrates with the surroundings and uses many resources found in classic european architecture is somehow bad, or people saying that Gehry is a good architect

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★

Opulentus, Spam King liked this post

Last edited by JMGA196; September 1st, 2016 at 10:13 PM.
JMGA196 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2016, 07:38 AM   #1993
Tiaren

Quote:
Ah, I didn't know you had to do that, pretty sure it's not me personally getting your info though.
That doesn't really make it any better.
Oh, was looking at it again and now it works!

Quote:
I simply had a curiosity about the site, having first seen it as an empty space following the demolition of the Palast. I was intrigued so I just started reading and researching, the result being a thesis written about four years after that first visit.
Wow, that is great actually.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 09:12 AM   #1994
MojoRisin123

Likes (Received): 85

Once again, i came here to see some updates but i find the same dumb discussions...

Roman_P, albanyjd liked this post
MojoRisin123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2016, 09:14 AM   #1995
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Yes please, less nonsense more photos
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2016, 12:15 AM   #1996
MONUMENTA

Likes (Received): 7

Exceptional building and fantastic reconstruction.
MONUMENTA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2016, 12:23 AM   #1997
MONUMENTA

Too bad the dome of the Reichstag how Paul Willett conceived and not the strainer Norman Foster is not rebuilt. It was awesome, a great prodigy of German art.

Spam King, keepthepast liked this post
Old September 5th, 2016, 03:46 PM   #1998
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57847

The lattice windows now slightly start to improve the appearance of the bland modernist East Facade:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovaron View Post
Seit etwa zwei Wochen setzt man dort Fenster ein, ein Geschoß ist fast fertig. Farbe kommt auf den Handyfotos schlecht rüber, würde es als dunkelbeige bezeichen. Sieht sehr wertig aus, mir gefällts.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...78723&page=169

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Titan Man, artObserver, Fudgis liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2016, 04:32 PM   #1999
MONUMENTA

It would have been better if imitating the rear facade of the Palast der Republik, taking the opportunity to satisfy those unhappy with the demolition.
Old September 5th, 2016, 05:11 PM   #2000
Joe Whalen 7

Likes (Received): 128

Strange Fascination

I have never understood the strange fascination with grafting a modern wing or side onto a building in the style of of another era. This is obviously what they have done here in Berlin. Why they couldn't just continue the design of the south side on around to the east side baffles me.

Here, where I live in America, we have the state supreme court building that was designed in the modernist international style in the 1960s to which they have attached a neoclassicial addition complete with Doric columns and a pediment. The local joke is that it looks like starship Enterprise docked at Versailles.

erbse, Spam King liked this post
Joe Whalen 7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
baroque fassade, berlin, construction field, heart of the city, humboldt lab dahlem, lustgarten, museum island, prussia, reconstruction, stadtschloss, stella