daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 7th, 2017, 05:01 PM   #2241
robertwood

Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
They almost came! Almost... It looked for a while as if the fugly unity memorial wasn't going to be build and the government wanted to give several millions to Berlin to reconstruct the colonnades, but then plans for the unity memorial were revived and on top of that leftist politicians were against the recontruction of the colonnades anyway, even if gifted to them. No wonder...they tore the original down 70 years ago...
God I hate Commie/Leftists, I hate their collectivism over individual achievement and pretty much everything else they stand for. Look at THEIR architectural legacies. (Wonderful work in Bucharest boys!) They are ruining what was started in Dresden and now they are doing the same in Berlin. They really must be defeated.

keepthepast, PapaleuPaes liked this post
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2017, 06:05 PM   #2242
Sauter

Likes (Received): 1022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
They almost came! Almost... It looked for a while as if the fugly unity memorial wasn't going to be build and the government wanted to give several millions to Berlin to reconstruct the colonnades, but then plans for the unity memorial were revived and on top of that leftist politicians were against the recontruction of the colonnades anyway, even if gifted to them. No wonder...they tore the original down 70 years ago...
too bad :/ i think that Museuminsel should be fully reconstructed to it's formal glory. What about the cathedral? Are there any plans to recreate the laterne der kuppel. It's a small detail, but it would make such difference to the ambient.
Sauter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 07:03 PM   #2243
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

The reunification memorial is a fitting addition to the place, something that will sharply contrast with the palace. Berlin is not, and should not, be an open-air museum where everything if frozen as if it were 1925. A modern reunification monument is great, it helps break down the Disney/Dresden-esque appearance of look-old-but-it-is-actually-new buildings, by giving it a touch of modernity associated with 21st Century.

Actually, I think they should make the reunification monument even better with intricated embedded (and replaceable) LED lighting to make it glow and change over each month/season of the year.

I have not seen its latest design iterations. There were talks of shortening the balancing arch a bit, have they done that?
Old May 7th, 2017, 08:49 PM   #2244
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5612

Geez...it is Suburbanist coming to troll again...
First of all, you don't make any sense:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
it helps break down the Disney/Dresden-esque appearance of look-old-but-it-is-actually-new buildings...
If it looks old it can't at the same time have a "Disney-esque appearance". Do you know what so called Disney buildings actually look like? Were you actually in a Disneyland once? (Probably not, as they must be places of nightmares for you.) They are wild fantasy designs on a location without any history, built with cheap, not long enduring materials, because they are meant to be contructed quickly and not last a lifetime. They often aren't even proper buildings, just supported by scaffolding. Like the castle walls on the following picture.

Disney Resort, Florida:

Proper reconstruction, Germany:

Dresden buildings don't fit the "Disney-esque" characterization either:

The City Palace also won't have a "Disney-esque appearance" for the simple reason that it isn't a Disney construction. It isn't a fantasy design, it's faithfully reconstructed after its old designs, it's located on its original spot, the materials and crafts used are of the absolute highest quality. Original pieces are incorporated again. Professionals were planning, building and crafting it for many, many years now. Look at the construction images in this very thread. You still coming in here, demeaning the architects, craftsmen and artists like that is just awful of you. I understand you can't escape the very rigid dogmas that you are subjected to, but come on, you can still be decent and pay some respect to people and their work where it's due, right?

Last edited by Tiaren; May 8th, 2017 at 06:23 PM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 09:05 PM   #2245
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Looks better than 95% of all German cities:

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Titan Man liked this post
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 09:10 PM   #2246
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 793

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
Looks better than 95% of all German cities:
Was thinking the same.
Old May 7th, 2017, 09:13 PM   #2247
Sauter

Likes (Received): 1022

i agree that berlin is all about mixing and clashing, that's the city's signature, but only due to it's historical circumstances. since it's called museuminsel, i think it should be an open air museum with well preserved, and faithfully reconstructed buildings that once stood there originally.

Titan Man liked this post
Sauter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 10:42 PM   #2248
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

What existed on the Museuminsel before Kaiser Whillhem II built several of its structures?
Old May 7th, 2017, 10:59 PM   #2249
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
What existed on the Museuminsel before Kaiser Whillhem II built several of its structures?
Except for the Cathedral none of the buildings were built by Wilhelm II. (Bodemuseum was built during his reign, but it had been conceived earlier and was named after then Emperor Friedrich III.) Everything south of Lustgarten is not officially part of Museumsinsel.
Before predecessing kings and emperors built museums on Museumsinsel it was the gardens of the Palace. (The northern facade of the Palace is actually a typically baroque garden facade and it's southern facade is the city facade.) In the early 19th century Schinkel first built the Altes Museum and after that the other 4 museum complexes were added one after another. The Pergamon Museum being the last one before WWII.

Titan Man, makoppa liked this post

Last edited by Tiaren; May 7th, 2017 at 11:12 PM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 01:31 PM   #2250
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59494

This "Disney" yadda yadda needs to end. It's pure BS, and the ones bringing this "argument" up know it perfectly well. It's just meant to provoke. A faithful reconstruction has _nothing_ in common with theme park settings.

More such posts will be reported Suburbanist, as it's sheer trolling that you bring to any of these threads.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

qjone2, Titan Man, ELH, Tiaren, robertwood and 7 others liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 05:37 PM   #2251
ELH

Likes (Received): 598

The Disney-argument rests on the bottom of human intelligence, the rationale being: It looks like something I saw in disneyland, so it is disney-land like. Disneyland is medieval-like, duh.

Further: Disney reconstructions are not not "truthful" pertaining accurate design, historic location, choice of fassade materials (outer appearance) or craftmanship. Finally: German reconstructionists care less to put ghost-rides or kiosks into their buildings.
ELH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 07:18 PM   #2252
Joe Whalen 7

Likes (Received): 131

Can't Understand It

I can't understand why any sane person would want to stick an ultramodern monument in front of a baroque palace. If I go into a historic section of a city, I don't expect to see something ultramodern sticking up like a sore thumb along side of structures that at least appear to have been there for centuries. That's one area where some European cities are making a big mistake as far as I am concerned.

That "bomb fragment" that is supposed to be the unity monument could be displayed in the city dump and I seriously doubt that anybody would notice it.
Old May 8th, 2017, 07:53 PM   #2253
hateman

Likes (Received): 1840

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELH View Post
The Disney-argument rests on the bottom of human intelligence, the rationale being: It looks like something I saw in disneyland, so it is disney-land like. Disneyland is medieval-like, duh.
Exactly. Using an argument that relies on a combination of some of the most basic fallacies--well poisoning, guilt by association, appeal to ridicule, etc., just sways the weak-minded to your position, or makes you look weak-minded. A good way to score cheap points, but ultimately counterproductive.

And they all seem to forget that Disney also made Tomorrowland. One could just as easily call the outre and unorthodox attempts by contemporary architects as "Disney."

The argument is also needless. Among other things, a good thing about the modern section of this reconstruction is it makes the argument visible: on these sections they've reconstructed what was there, on this section they've constructed a modernist facade, which do you consider more meaningful, beautiful, etc.? To my eye it shows what was lost much more than indicating progress, which is an important lesson for a number of reasons.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill

Last edited by hateman; May 8th, 2017 at 08:03 PM.
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 08:05 PM   #2254
ELH

Likes (Received): 598

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateman View Post
Exactly. Using an argument that relies on a combination of some of the most basic fallacies--well poisoning, guilt by association, appeal to ridicule, etc., just sways the weak-minded to your position, or makes you look weak-minded. A good way to score cheap points, but ultimately counterproductive.
You´re right, but I didn´t mean it in a hateful maner.
ELH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 08:54 PM   #2255
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Likes (Received): 34809

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaibobby View Post
Exploring posh Berlin :-)

[img]http://up.picr.de/29184*****.jpg[/img]

Bilder von mir (gemeinfrei)
©SSC-User Dubaibobby

soweit nicht anders angegeben außerhalb von den Skybars.

Berlin Projects

Titan Man, bribri, erbse, 8166UY, Fudgis and 6 others liked this post
Ludi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2017, 03:29 PM   #2256
Britney-Purificación

Likes (Received): 305

Is there any renewal project for the Cathedral façade?
Britney-Purificación no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2017, 03:34 PM   #2257
erbse
LIBERTINED

^ Dom renovations and even a reconstruction of the former cupola and turrets were considered multiple times, but won't take place soon.

Old May 16th, 2017, 12:40 AM   #2258
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

erbse, Ludi, Roman_P, DarkLite, The Eagle liked this post
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 01:34 AM   #2259
Darryl

Likes (Received): 121

Will they start now on the exterior of the dome?
Darryl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 01:18 PM   #2260
erbse
LIBERTINED

Yep, very soon!

Tags
baroque fassade, berlin, construction field, heart of the city, humboldt lab dahlem, lustgarten, museum island, prussia, reconstruction, stadtschloss, stella