daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 11th, 2017, 04:55 PM   #2341
Joe Whalen 7

Likes (Received): 131

Work in Progress???

It looks to me like work has stopped on the west and south facades of the palace but is progressing on the north side and in the Schluterhof. Anyone know what's going on there? Does one company have the contract for all of the stucco work? Just curious.
Joe Whalen 7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2017, 06:02 PM   #2342
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Whalen 7 View Post
It looks to me like work has stopped on the west and south facades of the palace but is progressing on the north side and in the Schluterhof. Anyone know what's going on there? Does one company have the contract for all of the stucco work? Just curious.
Works have stopped on the west and south facade because they are already technically finished. They just need to apply plaster and paint over the brick parts. As we saw for the Open Construction Site event on the north side, this can be done fairly quickly, a third of a facade within several days. They still have 5 months more time, as the facades are supposed to be finished by the end of the year.
It is by the way better to let brickwork settle for a couple of months before plastering over them, so that all moisture is gone from the cement holding the brickwork together I have been told.

I have no information about the contractor/contractors doing plastering and paint.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2017, 11:37 PM   #2343
Joe Whalen 7

Thank you

Tiaren:

Thank you for the information. That makes sense.
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:17 PM   #2344
Darryl

Likes (Received): 121

Just got back from 2 weeks in Berlin. The Stadtschloss' immensity is most evident in person. It was awesome. This will be so impressive when completed. Not to mention the entire Museum Island area, when the Opera and the new U5 stations and the Stadtschloss are all completed and the scaffolding taken away (hopefully by 2020) it will be quite an impressive and beautiful central area indeed.
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:22 PM   #2345
Darryl

Likes (Received): 121

...and the modern side facing the river and Alexanderplatz doesn't bother me that much. It's not beautiful, but it's not terrible or offensive either. It's facing ugly Alexanderplatz anyway, so c'est la vie. That area is not that pretty anyways. I just hope that they engage the waterfront properly so the public can enjoy it.
Darryl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 08:43 PM   #2346
Joe Whalen 7

Kaiser Wilhelm Denkmal status

I exchanged emails with a representative of the Berlin city government regarding the Kaiser Wilhelm Denkmal site. He claimed that it was still up to the Bundestag what would or would not be built on that site.

Of course, I'm not sure if I was getting what we Americans would call "the run around." (Is there a German expression for that?)

andymillman, Steven DL, Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 28th, 2017, 01:34 AM   #2347
qjone2

Likes (Received): 678

There have apparently been more demonstrations against the reunification monument, but as far as I know the construction will be going ahead.
qjone2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 08:54 PM   #2348
Joe Whalen 7

More on the Kaiser Wilhelm Denkmal Site

The online German language site for the monument includes the following:

"In the place of the former national monument, a sense of freedom and unity {monument) was to be formed for German reunification, but the realization was initially stopped in April 2016, which was justified by cost increases. On 11 November 2016, the Budget Committee of the Bundestag provided 18.5 million euros for the reconstruction of the historic colonnades on the protected pedestal. These costs would be even higher than for the Unity Monument. The planning also took place without a Bundestag decision. The decision was later revised. In June 2017, the Bundestag again decided to build the concept of freedom and unity."
Old July 30th, 2017, 03:14 PM   #2349
dubaibobby

Likes (Received): 1781

Pics from yesterday

Pics by dubaibobby
Old July 31st, 2017, 05:09 PM   #2350
Tiaren

Reconstruction and installation of the large-scale windows of the palace:

makoppa, GUS13, Titan Man, Glorytrotter, Zaz965 liked this post
Old August 1st, 2017, 02:23 AM   #2351
UrbanMyth

Likes (Received): 193

Can't help imagining the Kaiser seeing the giant color ads on the sides of house.

Titan Man liked this post
UrbanMyth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2017, 06:26 PM   #2352
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Likes (Received): 34809

soweit nicht anders angegeben außerhalb von den Skybars.

Berlin Projects
Ludi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 10:39 PM   #2353
Joe Whalen 7

Construction Progress???

I regularly watch the construction progress on the Stadtschloss reconstruction using the online site. I seem to be seeing very little progress this summer on the exterior of the building. I would think that they would want to take advantage of the summer weather to get as much done as possible. Are they running low on funds? The only exterior work seems to be a little on the north side.
Old August 11th, 2017, 11:42 PM   #2354
Tiaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Whalen 7 View Post
I regularly watch the construction progress on the Stadtschloss reconstruction using the online site. I seem to be seeing very little progress this summer on the exterior of the building. I would think that they would want to take advantage of the summer weather to get as much done as possible. Are they running low on funds? The only exterior work seems to be a little on the north side.
Lol, I swear you ask the exact same thing every couple of weeks.
Once again, no, they are not low on funds, the German government has fully funded everything in advance and everything is already in the works by different contractors. It's an important project, the most important current cultural project in Germany. It's already heavily scrutinized by the public as it is, they wouldn't let it turn into a second Berlin airport desaster just because of financial reasons. 600 million € is pocket change for the German government.
The schedule says that the facades and dome (excluding lantern and cross) will be finished by the end of the year. The facades are already finished to 99% and for the dome they have several months left. The contractors probably know what they are doing and they probably think they will have comfortably finished what is left to do by the end of the year.

Suburbanist, Steven DL, Bockenheimer liked this post
Old August 12th, 2017, 01:25 PM   #2355
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

Modern construction project management is done on fancy software that shows what the critical paths are, what the individual stages of hundreds if not thousands of sub-tasks is etc. There is really no point in accelerating completion of things that don't need to be completed beforehand and that, contrary to uncertain activities like tunneling or earthworks or lowering water table, have little to no delay risk once things start.

They probably want a shinny outdoor finishing, so why bother finishing it up months ahead of schedule, only to let it start gathering dust or maybe suffer some weather effects before time of ribbon-cutting. Makes no sense.
Old August 13th, 2017, 10:39 PM   #2356
Joe Whalen 7

Exterior Construction Progress

You guys have some good points. However, it's just that I'm used to contractors wanting to finish work like that of the exterior of this building in a timely and efficient manner so that they can minimize costs. The cost of using all of that scaffolding is usually a daily charge where I live. You do everything that requires that expenditure and then take it down so as not to have that cost ongoing when you don't need it. In this project, things seem to be different or perhaps that sort of thing just works differently there. My best,
Old August 14th, 2017, 01:24 PM   #2357
Tiaren

Cost isn't really any problem there. They'll have the scaffolding as long as they want and it also gives them the opportunity/excuse to keep these huge billboards up.
Old August 14th, 2017, 03:59 PM   #2358
JustinHerman

Likes (Received): 196

I, too, notice that, with so little left to do on the exterior (Westfassade, Nordfassade, Schlüterhof, & dome) before stucco'ing, work has ground nearly to a halt. There are very few workers to be seen on the site at any given time since August began, so I've assumed that the slowdown is due to workers taking vacation.
JustinHerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 07:49 PM   #2359
lechevallierpatrick

Likes (Received): 94

Hallo zusammen!Does anybody know if the Rossebaendiger and the Adlersaeule will come back at the Lustgartenseite des Berliner Stadtschlosses?
lechevallierpatrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 08:44 PM   #2360
Tiaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by lechevallierpatrick View Post
Hallo zusammen!Does anybody know if the Rossebaendiger and the Adlersaeule will come back at the Lustgartenseite des Berliner Stadtschlosses?
The chances for the Adlersäule are very slim, for the simple reason that only fragments of it are left.
The Rossebändiger do have a chance, because they do still exist...

...but unfortunately some politicians are against removing them from their current location. The Berliner Schloss Foundation and the architect of the Schloss/Humboldt-Forum, Franco Stella, do want them back though.

I can see them compromising in the end. Have a modern square design surrounding the palace but bringing back at least the Rossebändiger to appease people that call for historic surroundings.

Tags
baroque fassade, berlin, construction field, heart of the city, humboldt lab dahlem, lustgarten, museum island, prussia, reconstruction, stadtschloss, stella