daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 21st, 2017, 06:44 PM   #2401
MDRB

Likes (Received): 21

I can surely say that, when finished, it'll look majestic.
Well, at least in my opinion...

Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2017, 04:29 PM   #2402
Joe Whalen 7

Likes (Received): 128

Wait Until Spring

Since work on the exterior of the building seems to have stopped, I assume that the plan is to apply the stucco to the outside walls starting next spring. After all, you could not apply stucco and then have the wet plaster freeze since it would crack. Meanwhile, work must be progressing on the interior since it is now completely enclosed.
Joe Whalen 7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2017, 05:01 PM   #2403
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57989

October 27:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaibobby View Post

Bilder von heute
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...78723&page=202

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 11:37 PM   #2404
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Whalen 7 View Post
Since work on the exterior of the building seems to have stopped, I assume that the plan is to apply the stucco to the outside walls starting next spring. After all, you could not apply stucco and then have the wet plaster freeze since it would crack. Meanwhile, work must be progressing on the interior since it is now completely enclosed.

Hey, Joe Whalen! How is it going?
They have to wait for at least one year to apply the plaster.
This gives the mortar inside the wall enough time to dry out.
Please relax. As a matter of fact - It is Your worrying that keeps
me posting in this threat, I just noticed! Lol I drink to that

The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 12:02 AM   #2405
The Eagle

Ludolf and others that post pictures seem to be in vacation and all other members
are worried that the build comes to an standstill. (350 People work on the build right now)Therefore, I guess, I have to post pictures here before someone gets a heart attack!
Portal III

Portal IV

Portal V

Northwest corner

Preparations for Gold works

The cupola, btw.: The cupola will be 3/4 empty! What a waste of space!

A new stone, just placed;

And here we see info about Joe`s question: The brick has been covert with "Grundierung" witch is watery stucco to start a bridge between the two martials.
Namely Plaster and brick. It is like the plain paper on the wall under the wallpaper to keep it all together! In that case the wall and the wallpaper, basically the same idea.

pictures from Spreetunnel!

Titan Man, ELH, Fudgis, JustinHerman, 8166UY and 11 others liked this post
Old November 7th, 2017, 02:48 PM   #2406
Joe Whalen 7

Thanks

Thanks to Eagle and others regarding how the stucco process works. I really do appreciate learning the reason behind the wait time between finishing the brick work and applying the stucco. Sorry, if I seem to be to impatient to see this beauty completed.

By the way, the recent photos of the details of the stone work show just how magnificent the new building will be.

The Eagle, robertwood liked this post
Old November 7th, 2017, 08:06 PM   #2407
Fudgis

Likes (Received): 134

Can't thank The Eagle enough for these wonderful photos, brilliant work, giving us all tantalising glimpses of what we can barely guess at on the webcam alone. The quality of the work being done is astonishing, those details leave me ever more excited about the day the scaffolding finally comes down (around which time I'm going to need to book a flight to Berlin! )

Thanks too for the information regarding the process of applying the stucco, most enlightening!

Christi69, robertwood liked this post
Fudgis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 07:57 PM   #2408
The Eagle

Hello everyone!

Can one remember this:

It now looks like this:

The angel needs his trumpet, still!
This is Portal IV:

Do you see this? Those idiots bend the royal crown!

And now it is probably broken!

pictures from Vulgow, thanks!
Old November 20th, 2017, 03:34 PM   #2409
JustinHerman

Likes (Received): 169

Good news! If you'll look at the Ostfassade view of the palace on the Webcam, you'll see that the eastern end of the Südfassade is being stucco'd!
JustinHerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2017, 10:40 AM   #2410
turtlebay

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHerman View Post
Good news! If you'll look at the Ostfassade view of the palace on the Webcam, you'll see that the eastern end of the Südfassade is being stucco'd!
Things are moving rather quickly.
turtlebay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2017, 11:34 PM   #2411
The Eagle

Hello there!

Let me explain how they tackle the Putz/Stucco/Plaster adventure.
Because this wall is thicker than normal, there is a longer wait time before
stucco can be applied. The first step is a thin spray with watery stucco. This has to dry. it is done to help the later stucco to stick/bind to the wall. Same like if you put wallpaper to a bare wall. You have to put paper on first.

The second phase is to make the stucco spray wet and moist. You add a thick layer of stucco. Normally white color added. White is cheap and lets the wall glow.

The third phase (not needed) is to apply a thin third layer of stucco with the desired color already mixed into it. (red, blue, eggshell) The wall is finished. Sometimes the second layer will be left exposed around windows and so on.
The purpose is to save money in the short and long run. In the short run, because the color is so expansive, the savings in only adding a thin layer of colored stucco saves a lot of money. (Small house 1 - 2000$) Also, people can make the wall two colored if parts of white stucco are left exposed. That saves time.
The savings in the long run are that when the weather weathers the wall down, particles will be washed down over time, but the wall remains flawless for years to come. This also creates the patina look that tourists love. In countries with dry climate like Italy, some walls are redone only every 120 years or so.
In Germany up to 80 Years. Paint should be avoided, it can suffocate the walls and will peel and create mildew. Best is lime wash, it breaths, do it yourself and it kills germs (acid). Walls are supposed to heat up during the day, dry out, sterilize germs and mildew dead from heat and dryness. It also releases comfortable warmth into the night when people sit in cafes. It helps create a micro climate. That helps with the heating bill, too.

Now some pictures from phase one. A wet spray:

The stone has been glazed against graffiti;

Phase one: Spry Putz is being applied; therefore the window cover;

View thru the Portal II. In the backside the back of Portal IV

The quay with the future promenade is coming;

Thanks, Spreetunnel.

erbse, Tiaren, Titan Man, Fudgis, pendolasco and 10 others liked this post
Old December 14th, 2017, 04:58 PM   #2412
Joe Whalen 7

Schluterhof Question

I notice that they have taken down some of the scaffolding in the Schluterhof and that the wall appears to have been finished in a reddish color. From the online photo I can't tell if that is just the brick or the color of the stucco in that courtyard. Does anybody know for sure?

Tags
baroque fassade, berlin, construction field, heart of the city, humboldt lab dahlem, lustgarten, museum island, prussia, reconstruction, stadtschloss, stella