daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 27th, 2017, 10:39 PM   #2441
TM_Germany
Got Fachwerk?

Likes (Received): 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
Thank you for your not unexpected, angry, and personally attacking comment. Merry Christmas to you, too!

Fact is, you are incorrect. "Merry Christmas" has largely been displaced by Happy Holidays all across the public arena in the US--retail, institutions, media, etc--because it is considered non-inclusive and inappropriately religious by those who have had to power to make the greeting politically incorrect. Many large retail establishments forbade employees from saying the phrase, even in response to it being delivered to them.
In spite of your wish to believe otherwise and castigate those who know, in the US, 'Merry Christmas' is significantly back in Christmas after a long hiatus.
My "attack" was not personal and the fact that you expected something like that says a lot about your politics. I wasn't aware that the president decides on retail or company policy, thanks for making me aware of that Have you ever felt ashamed of saying merry christmas? I'm sure the media you consume can give the same answer as you. Also, how does saying "Happy holidays" (as is common practise in many countries including Germany, simply because there are multiple christmas holidays and then later new years) threaten christmas or restrict people from saying merry christmas?

This "war on christmas" is another factually nonexistent non-issue invented by people that want to keep your country devided over bullshit.

I would greatly appreciate that the sentiment that everyone is entitled to his or her own facts stays on the other side of the pond and that nobody infuses politics into something that should be notoriously unpartisan. I don't have any personal problems with you.

Neotradtional Architecture in Germany

Leipzig in Spring: Historicism at its finest.
TM_Germany no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2017, 11:16 PM   #2442
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1815

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM_Germany View Post
My "attack" was not personal and the fact that you expected something like that says a lot about your politics.
Nope. It was personal, and it says a lot about you and your commonly displayed manners.

Quote:
I wasn't aware that the president decides on retail or company policy, thanks for making me aware of that .
I think you are aware, actually. The President sets a tone and social/political balance on many topics of acceptable and unacceptable behaviors, often including what is viewed as politically correct or incorrect. Such influence filters throughout society. Surely you have not also been unaware of the massive upset on much of President Trump's style. If his lead on such things were non existent or irrelevant, then why all the angst?

Quote:
Have you ever felt ashamed of saying merry christmas? I'm sure the media you consume can give the same answer as you. Also, how does saying "Happy holidays" (as is common practise in many countries including Germany, simply because there are multiple christmas holidays and then later new years) threaten christmas or restrict people from saying merry christmas?

This "war on christmas" is another factually nonexistent non-issue invented by people that want to keep your country devided over bullshit.
Your comments and questions display a total lack of knowledge or purposeful denial about this relatively small, but relevant point. Only those so deeply buried in social/political dogma would suggest that the use of "merry christmas" has not been negatively affected and diminished in recent times all across the US social, cultural, and political spectrum.

Quote:

I would greatly appreciate that the sentiment that everyone is entitled to his or her own facts stays on the other side of the pond and that nobody infuses politics into something that should be notoriously unpartisan. I don't have any personal problems with you.
No clue what this means, except that at face value, an unfortunate display of arrogance and elitism. If you felt the comment about feeling joy from the seasonal phrase being more acceptable this year than before was inappropriate, you could have ignored the minor post...but you made it a political and personal event and chose to unleash your harsh political venom. If you don't want politics infused here, please don't throw gasoline on a mere spark.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 11:25 PM   #2443
TM_Germany
Got Fachwerk?

Likes (Received): 435

As a favour for this thread, I will refrain from rebutting that post here. If you are interested, we can continue per PM but I suppose the point is moot with you anyways.

Neotradtional Architecture in Germany

Leipzig in Spring: Historicism at its finest.

UrbanMyth, nitramwin liked this post
TM_Germany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 03:46 PM   #2444
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59589

Ja, please continue with PM if necessary, this isn't the right place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBlack95 View Post
So is Karl Liebknecht Strasse to be pedestrianised as well?
As stated before, that remains a vision for now. But it might still happen in the 2020s.
Would be great for the look and feel of the whole Museum Island and Lustgarten area.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 11:07 PM   #2445
Steve Gatlin

Likes (Received): 21

Does anyone know when the Bauakademie will begin reconstruction?
Steve Gatlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 12:56 AM   #2446
erbse
LIBERTINED

As of September 2017 (the latest state I know of) the start of reconstruction of Schinkel's Bauakademie as a "National Building Academy" is scheduled for 2020/21.

Source: https://www.morgenpost.de/berlin/art...aufgebaut.html

Titan Man, JustinHerman liked this post
Old January 4th, 2018, 06:10 PM   #2447
SoroushPersepolisi

Likes (Received): 5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Hereditary power or recognition is one of the worst features of European history.
the whole world was like this

re-establishing nice architecture would rarely be a cause for those systems to return
SoroushPersepolisi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2018, 06:39 AM   #2448
Steve Gatlin

Likes (Received): 21

Thank you erbse for the update! From the photos I've seen of the site, it looks as though one corner of the Bauakademie has been constructed. A "mockup" perhaps?
Steve Gatlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2018, 12:34 PM   #2449
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gatlin View Post
Thank you erbse for the update! From the photos I've seen of the site, it looks as though one corner of the Bauakademie has been constructed. A "mockup" perhaps?
Yes, it's a mockup that has been standing there for quite some time, couple of years actually.
Old January 6th, 2018, 11:38 AM   #2450
Roman_P

Likes (Received): 1821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Yes, it's a mockup that has been standing there for quite some time, couple of years actually.
Longer; at least seven years ago it was already like that.
But I wouldn't call it a mockup. Who's mocking what? It's quite a decent attempt to make people have a notion of how the building used to look (until the reconstruction is complete). When the Stadtschloss reconstruction project was still uncertain a performance like this was made: they put a canvas with the image of the Schloss around that GDR palace (still standing at the time) just to make people know what they have actually lost. I believe it helped the reconstruction project come true. So was it a mockup too?

erbse liked this post

Last edited by Roman_P; January 6th, 2018 at 11:47 AM.
Roman_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 02:10 PM   #2451
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 795

Mock-up - a full-sized structural model built to scale chiefly for study, testing, or display

So yes, it's a mockup.

Steven DL liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 11:03 PM   #2452
Darryl

Likes (Received): 121

Posting this here because I don't see an English language thread on the Museum Island.

Why is it that the James Simon Galerie (which is essentially a lobby, ticket counters, and a café, in a modern style with no adornment) takes in excess of 8 years to build, when an entire palace at least 10 times bigger with a baroque façade painstakingly reconstructed from the ground up with hand carved sculptures and decorative elements started reconstruction 3 years later and has already surpassed the James Simon Galerie in closeness to completion?? I know that there were difficulties due to the high water table or something, but is that the only reason the James Simon Galerie is taking so long to complete?

leon.neves, erbse liked this post
Darryl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 08:57 PM   #2453
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5619

Great news and a great achievement incoming!

The initially projected reconstruction cost of the palace's facades, 80 million €, have been donated as of now.

https://berliner-schloss.de/spenden-.../spendenstand/

They (we!) really did it! Thanks so much to everyone who donated, even if just a couple of €, for this project. Every amount helps.

Now onto the additional 25 million €, that include extras like the interior portals and sculptures adorning the portals. They will be a walk in the park now.

erbse, qjone2, Steven DL, City Cityzen liked this post
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 12:37 AM   #2454
robertwood

Likes (Received): 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Great news and a great achievement incoming!

The initially projected reconstruction cost of the palace's facades, 80 million €, have been donated as of now.

https://berliner-schloss.de/spenden-.../spendenstand/

They (we!) really did it! Thanks so much to everyone who donated, even if just a couple of €, for this project. Every amount helps.

Now onto the additional 25 million €, that include extras like the interior portals and sculptures adorning the portals. They will be a walk in the park now.

I've donated 100 euros every year to the Stadtschloss as I did the Frauenkirche and as I will the Garnisonkirche. I'm proud to be a part of these projects in my own small way
Old January 12th, 2018, 02:01 PM   #2455
erbse
LIBERTINED

^ That's great to hear Robert! I also regularily donated for this cause and several smaller projects.

Who wants to follow the pack and donate for Berlin's Palace resurrection directly via PayPal, go here:

https://www.paypal.com/en/cgi-bin/we...4a4f7377ea4028

robertwood liked this post
Old January 17th, 2018, 06:22 PM   #2456
erbse
LIBERTINED

Asbestos GDR "Palace of the Republic" in 2000 vs. the actual Berlin Palace U/C in 2017:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124502...51296/sizes/h/

Stadtschloss by Heiko Haberle, on Flickr

Old January 19th, 2018, 10:45 AM   #2457
erbse
LIBERTINED

Agora Berliner Schloss: Franco Stella & Schlüter baroque

Beautiful visualisation of Berlin Palace's agora, Schlüter feat. Franco Stella:

Full resolution

Source: http://holzerkobler.com/de/project/h...rliner-schloss

This will be a great venue for all kinds of events, like concerts, exhibitions and congresses.

qjone2, Titan Man liked this post

Tags
baroque fassade, berlin, construction field, heart of the city, humboldt lab dahlem, lustgarten, museum island, prussia, reconstruction, stadtschloss, stella