daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 13th, 2013, 11:07 PM   #321
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Likes (Received): 34809

webcam video

Here the webcam video each day from TV Tower.

soweit nicht anders angegeben außerhalb von den Skybars.

Berlin Projects

mb92, Highcliff liked this post
Ludi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #322
Joe Whalen 7

Likes (Received): 131

New Plan Is Adaptive Reuse

I think that the current plan for the reconstruction of the Berliner Stadtschloss is a great example of what in construction and architecture is often called "adaptive reuse." They plan to preserve the historic exterior while using the new interior for 21st century needs. If you want to see another example of this sort of thing, look at Buda Castle (the former Royal Palace) in Budapest which now houses an art museum and the national library.

Those of you who object to the relatively modern design of the river facade should review some of the work of Albert Speer during the Nazi regime. That facade is similar to the design of the former new Reichs Chancellery building's facade that had the balcony.
Joe Whalen 7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #323
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

You can kind of make out the progress being made here as well.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Ludi, mb92, Cager, Highcliff liked this post
Kampflamm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #324
M.W.

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Whalen 7 View Post
I think that the current plan for the reconstruction of the Berliner Stadtschloss is a great example of what in construction and architecture is often called "adaptive reuse." They plan to preserve the historic exterior while using the new interior for 21st century needs. If you want to see another example of this sort of thing, look at Buda Castle (the former Royal Palace) in Budapest which now houses an art museum and the national library.

Those of you who object to the relatively modern design of the river facade should review some of the work of Albert Speer during the Nazi regime. That facade is similar to the design of the former new Reichs Chancellery building's facade that had the balcony.
Yes, no question, but the issue is the specific nature of this particular adaptive reuse. Instead of a museum of foreign cultures, it should ideally be a museum of Prussian history. Failing that, there's been talk of moving the Old Masters gallery in Berlin out of its current location in a horrible modernist building near Potsdamer Platz. The reconstructed Königliche Schloß could have been the venue for that collection, which at least would be European.

And some of the most attractive interiors could and should have been restored.

As for the Speer building, I think it looked fine; however, I don't think it's attractive to tack that style onto the Schloß, especially since the Spree wing was formerly the most interesting and beautiful face of the palace, and the most historic.

Chadoh25, Highcliff liked this post
M.W. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #325
Joe Whalen 7

Response to Comment

I would have to agree that using the new "Schloss" for a museum of non-European art/culture makes little sense to me. Moving one of the other museums located in Berlin to the restored/new building would seem logical.

The Spee side of the old Stadtschloss, while interesting, to me does not lend itself to reconstruction as it seemed to be a mix of various early buildings prior to the schloss taking on the unified form of the other three sides.

Spam King, Highcliff liked this post
Old July 16th, 2013, 03:03 AM   #326
M.W.

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
The Spee side of the old Stadtschloss, while interesting, to me does not lend itself to reconstruction as it seemed to be a mix of various early buildings prior to the schloss taking on the unified form of the other three sides.
Rather, it is that very portion of the palace that should have been reconstructed most faithfully, precisely because it collected the building styles of the various eras in which the Königliche Schloß was built.

The palace was a living symbol of Berlin, physically embodying every era of Berlin's (and Prussia's) history, from the Gothic to the Renaissance to the Baroque. The Spree facade reflected that history.

The very reason why the Schloß was so magnificent was because it wasn't merely a Baroque palace, not a structure of a single age, but an organic dwelling that grew over the centuries and showed the influence of every generation of nobility that resided there.

Furthermore, many of the most beautiful and historic interior rooms of the palace, such as the wondrous Erasmuskapelle, were housed in the Spree wing. Now they cannot be rebuilt -- or if they ever are, it will be in an inauthentic portion of the palace.

CF221, Highcliff liked this post
M.W. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2013, 03:15 AM   #327
GFM 3D

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
You mean this?

It was designed and built by Eduard Siedler in 1930 for the republican government. The balcony and gates were added by Speer in 1935 and 1938 respectively, but the building itself wasn't Speer's work.

Quote:
The Spree wing wasn't a "mix of early buildings". It was the first part of the Schloss to be built by the Electors of Brandenburg and comprised both the Spree façade and the transverse wing (which is also not going to be rebuilt btw). The area that you consider to be the Stadtscholoss was in fact occupied by a Dominican monastery - It only became a part of the castle from the early 18th century onwards.

Erasmuskapelle, palace chapel

http://berliner-schloss.de/das-histo.../baugeschichte

http://commons.wikimedia.org
GFM 3D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2013, 03:16 AM   #328
GFM 3D

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.W. View Post
Rather, it is that very portion of the palace that should have been reconstructed most faithfully, precisely because it collected the building styles of the various eras in which the Königliche Schloß was built.

The palace was a living symbol of Berlin, physically embodying every era of Berlin's (and Prussia's) history, from the Gothic to the Renaissance to the Baroque. The Spree facade reflected that history.

The very reason why the Schloß was so magnificent was because it wasn't merely a Baroque palace, not a structure of a single age, but an organic dwelling that grew over the centuries and showed the influence of every generation of nobility that resided there.

Furthermore, many of the most beautiful and historic interior rooms of the palace, such as the wondrous Erasmuskapelle, were housed in the Spree wing. Now they cannot be rebuilt -- or if they ever are, it will be in an inauthentic portion of the palace.
^This.
GFM 3D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #329
Joe Whalen 7

The Spee wing of the Schloss

I am an American and must say, to my knowledge, very little of the interior of the prewar Schloss has been available online. As a result, I know little about what it once looked like. Reconstruction of the Spee wing as a separate historical building museum and still have a modern building for the rest of the site would have made sense given the images seen here. Evidently, the decision was made to construct a completely modern interior and not reconstruct any of the original interiors.
Old July 20th, 2013, 12:51 AM   #330
Joe Whalen 7

image hosted on flickr

The Erasmuskapelle in the Berliner Stadtschloss was very similar to the Vaclav Hall in Prague Castle. Having been in the latter, I can tell you that it is an imposing sight. It is too bad that the similar room in Berlin will not be reconstructed.

Kampflamm, Highcliff, erbse liked this post
Old July 20th, 2013, 01:36 AM   #331
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7572

Such vaults (called Schlingrippengewölbe in german) are very typical for the late gothic style in Saxony and Bohemia. You can still find it quite often in this regions and some parts of Bavaria and Austria. In Dresden such vault has recently been reconstructed which was very complicated because it hasn't been done for about 500 years and nobody knew how to do it anymore.

So now that the technique is conversant again it would be no problem to rebuild it if there would be the will to do so.

Chadoh25, Highcliff liked this post
Saxonia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 04:29 AM   #332
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 569

Quote:

After reviewing my book on the New Reichschanchellery building, I can't find a facade with a balcony. It was the only Reichchanchellery that had a balcony tacked onto it by Speer.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 08:46 PM   #333
Joe Whalen 7

Response

GFM has stated that I was mistaken about Albert Speer designing the balcony facade of the Reichschancellery building. His photo shows the facade to which I was referring no matter who designed it.
Old August 10th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #334
Joe Whalen 7

Does anyone know the answer to this? Prior to World War II, there was a large granite column just across the street from the Stadtschloss by the Berliner Dom that was topped with a gold eagle. I realize that this is now gone. Does anyone know what was the purpose of that monument?
Old August 10th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #335
Saxonia

Do you mean the "Adlersäule" (Eagle column)? http://www.historisches-stadtschloss...rsaeule_KV.pdf

It was errected in 1842 at the place of the old Münzturm (Coin tower). Following the antique tradition the eagle on top can be seen as a national symbol (Hoheitszeichen) of prussia.
Old August 10th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #336
Joe Whalen 7

Yes, that's the column that I was asking about. It is pictured in the photo featuring the Berliner Dom on p. 147 of the February 1937 feature article on Berlin in the National Geographic magazine but I have not seen it elsewhere. I can only assume that it was destroyed in the war. My sincere thanks for the information.
Old August 10th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #337
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1497

It was not destroyed in the war. It was dismantled by the communists after blowing up the palace. You can see it in the pdf provided by Saxonia.
Old August 11th, 2013, 05:10 AM   #338
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

may I make an off topic question?....what else are the other destroyed buildings in berlin reconstructed? is this one the first?
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 07:45 AM   #339
Joe Whalen 7

Adler Saule

Johnny:

Sorry, but that's a prewar photo of the column with the Stadtschloss in the background not a post war one. If the column survived the war and the Communists they must have done something with it.
Old August 11th, 2013, 11:48 AM   #340
Saxonia

Scroll a bit down. On page 7 of the pdf you see post war pictures with the mainly intact column and the ruins of the Stadtschloß. In the german text is written, that the column was torn down together with the Schloß. The only surviving part is the capital. They do not know where the rest is situated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcliff View Post
may I make an off topic question?....what else are the other destroyed buildings in berlin reconstructed? is this one the first?
Do you mean after 1945, after 1990 or at the moment? Some newer reconstructions are the Alte Kommandantur at Unter den Linden, the Schinkelplatz behind it (the Bauakademie which is seen as an illusion there shall also be reconstructed but the funding is unclear).

And at the moment they are reconstructing the cupola of the Staatsbibliothek Unter den Linden. (pre war)

Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by Saxonia; August 11th, 2013 at 07:27 PM.

Tags
baroque fassade, berlin, construction field, heart of the city, humboldt lab dahlem, lustgarten, museum island, prussia, reconstruction, stadtschloss, stella