daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2015, 07:25 AM   #1081
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post
My hopes for the east façade go in the direction of a truly successful example in Stresemannstrasse . Here two pictures ...

What is so "successful" about that facade? Looks rather cheap and lifeless...would have looked a heaps better as stone cladding with a bit more structure.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2015, 11:09 AM   #1082
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Likes (Received): 34650

Looks bether then many other concrete facades and it would match well with the other original sandstone facades I think...

soweit nicht anders angegeben außerhalb von den Skybars.

Berlin Projects

Zaz965 liked this post
Ludi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 05:17 PM   #1083
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57920

We'll get ornaments in sandstone on the baroque facade, but the vast surface area will be covered in plaster and paint.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Zaz965 liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 11:18 PM   #1084
Red85
AARRGGHH

Likes (Received): 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gatlin View Post
Head butting could turn messy with a Pickelhaube.
I'm thinking about thunderstorms.
Red85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 12:20 AM   #1085
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

roadshow for donations around the world...

Source: Stiftung Humboldtforum

Berlin Projects

erbse, Simfan34, Zaz965 liked this post
Old April 11th, 2015, 10:58 AM   #1086
rudicantfail

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Whalen 7 View Post
Personally, I would have deleted the dome from the new building. The building actually looks complete without it and it serves no purpose except to restore what was there before the war. Since they have gotten so creative with the east side of the new building, don't tell me that they couldn't have just skipped adding it to the reconstruction and saved that money.

I take it that you never saw the Palast der Republik. Perhaps you would prefer that they demolish this Schloß, and rebuild the Palast, as that does not have a dome. In fact, it had no sole.......!

The need for rebuilding the Berliner Stadtschloss is to try an regain an interpretation of lost architecture; a grand building lost in the madness of a crazy war. They can only do so much in today's expensive and demanding world, but the dome is an integral part of the rebuild. Perhaps the new building will not have the fine detail and grandeur of the original, but it must at least be a fitting interpretation.

Just my humble opinion.

Steve Gatlin, White Light, Zaz965 liked this post
rudicantfail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 11:37 AM   #1087
rudicantfail

I was wondering, with all this reconstruction going on around Berlin, has there be any thought into rebuilding the Denkmalskirche on the ugly and barren space left on the side of the Berliner Dom? It is so sad to see the scar left on the Dom where our glorious Communist comrades decided to blow up Berlin's historical past. Again! The building is incomplete as it is at the present time.

But, as with everything, it is all about money. Such a project would not come cheap. Perhaps dear Mr Putin can fund it..........
Old April 11th, 2015, 08:02 PM   #1088
marvelfannumber1

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudicantfail View Post
The need for rebuilding the Berliner Stadtschloss is to try an regain an interpretation of lost architecture; a grand building lost in the madness of a crazy war. They can only do so much in today's expensive and demanding world, but the dome is an integral part of the rebuild. Perhaps the new building will not have the fine detail and grandeur of the original, but it must at least be a fitting interpretation.
If only the same could be said for the Reichstag....

If there is one thing I hate more than modern architecure it's disgusting hybrids/poor restorations.

– Mark Hampton
marvelfannumber1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 02:55 AM   #1089
Joe Whalen 7

Likes (Received): 128

[QUOTE=rudicantfail;123131164]

I take it that you never saw the Palast der Republik. Perhaps you would prefer that they demolish this Schloß, and rebuild the Palast, as that does not have a dome. In fact, it had no sole.......!

Personally, I always hated the Palast der Republik. For the most part the Communists seemed to go out of their way to design ugly cheaply constructed buildings that reflected their overall misguided philosophy that what people really wanted was poor quality in everything.

I just think that the dome is optional at best. What I really don't see is the abrupt change in architecture to modernist on the east front of the new building or going to the trouble of reconstructing some of the interior historic walls. If the interior is really going to be modern, mixing modern and baroque is just about as ugly as what the Communists did.
Joe Whalen 7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 02:06 PM   #1090
erbse
LIBERTINED

The interiors won't be "modern" or even designed all that much, but rather functional. They will seem somewhat unclad, not pushing itself in the spotlight. It will be all about the expositions. This is due to the plan to reconstruct interiors one after another, starting with the gorgeous Gigantentreppe ("Giant Stairway") and the Schweizer Saal ("Swiss Saloon") being the first to come.

Schlüter's "Giant Stairway", probably the 1st interior reconstruction:

/PD old

More interior views: http://berliner-schloss.de/en/the-an...ws-amber-room/

JustinHerman, Fudgis, Zaz965 liked this post
Old April 13th, 2015, 07:30 PM   #1091
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Leftside the Foreign Office , the State Council building rightside ...

View with State Council building (Staatsratsgebaeude) , Neuer Marstall (new stables), Rotes Rathaus (Town Hall).

Sophienchurch and northwestern palace corner.

The symbolic first stone is now gone and now only comes once the insulation / seal.

narrow and square brick rows alternately...

Alcove for gutter water pipes ?

The first elements of Silesian and Saxon sandstone wait.

my own pics

Berlin Projects
Old April 13th, 2015, 09:30 PM   #1092
White Light
Shines in the dark...

Likes (Received): 943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post

narrow and square brick rows alternately...

Why like that?

Believe in architecture..........
White Light no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 09:37 PM   #1093
rudicantfail

Nice update Ludi, it is amazing to see how to build is coming together. I look forward to September when I am next in Berlin. It is going to look so strange seeing this huge building where only a few years ago there was only an open grassed space. The last time I saw the new build was last August.
Old April 13th, 2015, 10:45 PM   #1094
rudicantfail

[QUOTE=Joe Whalen 7;123148589]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudicantfail View Post

Personally, I always hated the Palast der Republik. For the most part the Communists seemed to go out of their way to design ugly cheaply constructed buildings that reflected their overall misguided philosophy that what people really wanted was poor quality in everything.

I just think that the dome is optional at best. What I really don't see is the abrupt change in architecture to modernist on the east front of the new building or going to the trouble of reconstructing some of the interior historic walls. If the interior is really going to be modern, mixing modern and baroque is just about as ugly as what the Communists did.

I totally agree that the Palast was a terrible looking building. I never went inside, the outside was enough... But, I suppose that the East Berliners at the time were proud to some extent of their modern building. Just think about all drab and dreary war damaged buildings that were plentiful in the East right up to the Wall coming down. But, the Palast is no more. I have to say that I prefer old architecture to modern, which is why I am glad to see the old Schloss rebuilt, even though it is a modern construction of concrete and steel made to look something like the original. The feel of Unter Den Linden is still one of great architecture; grand old buildings framing a historical heart of the city. The Brandenburger Tor at one end, the Berliner Dom at the other. Yes there are many terrible looking modern buildings along the way, another tragedy of the result of war, but look past them, and forget them. The new Schloss will be a fine addition to the architectural gems in the area, even if it is a fake. But I to am not convinced by the East facade, I feel that it might ruin the whole thing, and I am not really to sure why the planners have gone ahead with this modern gimmick. Do one thing or the other, not mix two opposing styles. This modern facade will look out of place with the Dom one side, and the Neuer Marstall the other side. But, we will have to wait and see. Perhaps it may well look really cool in the end. I am just looking forward to seeing the building completed.
Old April 14th, 2015, 12:12 AM   #1095
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

still left donations for the hole facad

Berlin Projects

Zaz965 liked this post
Old April 15th, 2015, 09:59 AM   #1096
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
Heute besuchte Bundesbauministerin Barbara Hendricks die Baustelle und war dabei, als das erste Sandsteinelement der Barrackenfassade hier einfuhr.
I am outraged! D:

erbse liked this post
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 12:10 PM   #1097
JustinHerman

Likes (Received): 169

I see the first window installed on the Sudfassade.
JustinHerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 08:45 PM   #1098
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

first window

First window installed at southfacade.

webcam

Berlin Projects

Zaz965 liked this post
Old April 16th, 2015, 12:20 PM   #1099
Doppelganger

Likes (Received): 7

The palace is coming along nicely! Great to see the rebirth of the intimate urban spaces around the palace that were lost when it was demolished, such as schlossplatz along the south facade. Does anyone know if there are plans to relocate the Neptune Fountain back to it's proper place along the south facade?

erbse liked this post
Doppelganger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 01:13 PM   #1100
erbse
LIBERTINED

If only the squares would indeed come back... Currently they are planned in a very simplified form. There's still a way to go to get the former beauty of the Palace's vicinity back.

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by erbse; April 16th, 2015 at 01:19 PM.

Tags
baroque fassade, berlin, construction field, heart of the city, humboldt lab dahlem, lustgarten, museum island, prussia, reconstruction, stadtschloss, stella