daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 8th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #121
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

How much of the original will be included in the rebuilt Schloss?
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #122
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57844

What do you refer to? Fragments of the facade?

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 06:12 AM   #123
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
What do you refer to? Fragments of the facade?
Yes, like in the Potsdamer Scholss. I saw parts which were saved from the original structure which are now being incorperated into the new building.
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2012, 12:52 AM   #124
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 461

Can't wait for the building work to start on this most important project. The rebuilding of the old Royal Palace will add a new dimension to the centre of Berlin and once again will be an imortant focal point of the city.
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #125
Varoš

Likes (Received): 33

One thing interests me,not about Stadtschloss,are there any plans to rebuild some buildings of old town of Berlin behind the Stadtschloss?I mean on the lawn where is park now.
http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/8775/fm1188064a.jpg
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/120...domschloss.jpg

If some buildings would be rebuilt,Nikolaiviertel could be connected with new buildings and we would have big part of old town.Better buildings than park,right?
Varoš no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 07:37 PM   #126
GFM 3D

Likes (Received): 126

That is the Marx-Engels-Forum. I wish they rebuilt the Stadtschloss surroundings, but I actually don't expect it to happen.

View of Eosanderhof and Portal III, c. 1906

(source)
GFM 3D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 06:23 AM   #127
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpia-Serdica View Post

Looks like some nightmarish prison.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 06:57 AM   #128
GFM 3D

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post

Looks like some nightmarish prison.
Indeed. I think that's what will replace Schloßhof I.
GFM 3D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #129
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8160

Looks pretty good to me.
Old October 21st, 2012, 12:48 AM   #130
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Not the best, but not the worst interior, either.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 02:16 AM   #131
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21020

Late reconstructions are always tricky. It is impossible to please everyone. Assuming a political decision to reconstruct something is made, there is always a balance between the kitsch, the overzealous detailing (especially on buildings/sites that saw many additions/transformations over the centuries) and the caricature-of-bygone-era.

Personally, I like the modern wall, except for the transition to the adjoining old façade. The interiors look fine as well. That is assuming the decision to reconstruct had already been made, otherwise they could just have built a giant reunification monument and left the rest of the area as an open plaza forming a continuum with other open spaces out there.
Old October 21st, 2012, 02:18 AM   #132
erbse
LIBERTINED

^ Those open spaces won't be there anymore in the decade to come. It was the historical core of Berlin, where the city emerges. The empty vastness there is highly unpleasant and unurban and should vanish asap. There's enough parks and great free spaces in Berlin, the current "Marx-Engels-Forum" ain't one of them.

Old October 21st, 2012, 02:28 AM   #133
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4198

I hate this pseudo reconstruction. It should be either fully historical or a spectacular modern building.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 11:41 AM   #134
nr23Derek

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
I hate this pseudo reconstruction. It should be either fully historical or a spectacular modern building.
Sorry to say I agree. It is a shame the old palace was lost - it could and should have been restored, but it's long gone now.

Why is it we don't seem to be able to build anything new in a sympathetic style? Instead we have to resort to a pastiche re-creation, even though the new building is to have none of the function of the original. Doing that isn't the sign of a healthy living city in my view.

Modern creations don't have to be brutal or aloof from their surroundings, the fact that they usually are is down to bad design, bad planning.

Regards the park, usually I would argue against the loss of an amenity like that, but int he case of this one it really doesn't serve much of a function, it's just a gap everyone has to walk through. As has been said, it should be the centre of Berlin, a place where everything happens, instead it's a windswept wasteland.
nr23Derek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 12:54 PM   #135
Ingwaeone
BANNED

Likes (Received): 983

Regarding the interior one has to consider that it was one of the most splendid even imaginable. Its authentic restoration would double, perhaps even triple the costs.
Ingwaeone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 02:52 PM   #136
erbse
LIBERTINED

^ Indeed. And they'll leave that option for later generations to come.

That modern part actually is an addition that doesn't replace any historical interiors.

What I'm way more worried about is the river facade. It's just an ugly blunder and has to be redone or scrapped. I'm thinking about an initiative to call for a proper solution.

Old October 21st, 2012, 05:19 PM   #137
cloud32

Likes (Received): 67

That modern side needs to be delt with, agreed. I normally 100% support anything modern but that is just horrible. To me the design looks too square and cold and doesn't go far enough to contrast the 'old' part of the design. What is needed is either nothing there at all or an 'open', mostly glazed design which uses materials that aren't assosiated with the origional building (e.g. glass and metal).
cloud32 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 06:29 PM   #138
UnHavrais
Normandie

Likes (Received): 9595

I'm agree withe erbse and cloud32 !
These two contemporary parts do not deserve a lPalace and Germany! It is of a commonplace !
UnHavrais no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 07:25 PM   #139
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21020

What saddens me is that a reasonable number of people appear to have been totally hooked in the past, in the sense of not believing anything contemporary can be created and only "historically faithful recreations" have place in European cities.

The modern addition is a nice twist in the building, especially considering it doesn't freaking exist at the moment after being razed not for a couple year for for 5 whole decades.

In the past, all sorts of additions, appendages, re-dos were done in many of Berlin's buildings that later became iconic. I don't see how this should be an exception, especially given it is a reconstruction from greenfield.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 09:57 AM   #140
erbse
LIBERTINED

Former styles all amended each other well. Even baroque often looked good on Gothic structures, classicism worked well with renaissance and later historicist additions.

That was what the Berlin City Palace was made of. All the different time layers showing the history of the city.

Modernism essentially broke with all aesthetic rules of former eras - that's what it was all about. It just doesn't work well with older styles. It never intended to. But that's what's annoying in such a to-be harmonious urban environment of unique proportions.

I agree with a reconstruction like this there's room for a modern time layer to show up. But it should a) not replace all former time layers as it does on the river facade (which were the oldest btw) and b) shouldn't aesthetically break with the rest of the building - but it does. It's not amending it, it's contradicting it. That's different compared to the Reichstag building for instance, where they've gone for very well amending modern additions.

TimothyR liked this post

Tags
baroque fassade, berlin, construction field, heart of the city, humboldt lab dahlem, lustgarten, museum island, prussia, reconstruction, stadtschloss, stella