daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 9th, 2015, 11:32 PM   #1401
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photodash View Post
Why has it got a cross on it? It's not a church...
Doctrine of Divine Right/Divine Right of Kings, google it. Also, the room under the dome was actually a chapel.

Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2015, 08:00 PM   #1402
Joe Whalen 7

Likes (Received): 131

Exterior Finish

Will the non-stone exterior walls of the Stadtschloss be covered with stucco or left as brick? If brick, will they be painted? Photos of the original structure make it look like the exterior walls were a beige color that looks like stucco in the photos.
Joe Whalen 7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2015, 08:05 PM   #1403
Tiaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Whalen 7 View Post
Will the non-stone exterior walls of the Stadtschloss be covered with stucco or left as brick? If brick, will they be painted? Photos of the original structure make it look like the exterior walls were a beige color that looks like stucco in the photos.
Neither stucco nor painted brick. It will be plastered and then painted, very likely in beige whereas the stone parts stay untouched.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:15 PM   #1404
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Doctrine of Divine Right/Divine Right of Kings, google it. Also, the room under the dome was actually a chapel.

Please tell me they will rebuild the chapel!

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 01:25 AM   #1405
Opulentus

Likes (Received): 617

Unfortunately, I believe they've opted for a modern interior for some peculiar reason.
Opulentus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 01:40 AM   #1406
Stanford White
Arbiter of Good Taste

Likes (Received): 130

I'm still in awe that this is actually happening! it's stunning. The craftsmanship gives me such hope for other buildings/cities! maybe the art of masonry ISNT dead!
Stanford White no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 02:40 AM   #1407
Tiaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanford White View Post
The craftsmanship gives me such hope for other buildings/cities! maybe the art of masonry ISNT dead!
On a technical level as well as on an artistical level the masonry and sculpting will be on par with the baroque original. For over a decade experts and artists have been researching, studying and practicing to come as close to the original as possible. (Even the stone comes from the exact same stone quarries as 300 years ago) Each ornament is created four times: In the computer, then in clay, then gypsum and finally, if everything is right, in stone.

JustinHerman, Joka liked this post
Old August 11th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #1408
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opulentus View Post

Unfortunately, I believe they've opted for a modern interior for some peculiar reason.
Why? Was it costs?

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 08:20 PM   #1409
Opulentus

Likes (Received): 617

Yeah. I'm pretty sure that all of the interiors are going to be constructed in a modern style. They only raised enough money to construct three out of four façades, hence why there's that far more dull one facing the Spree.
Opulentus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 09:02 PM   #1410
Tiaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opulentus View Post
Yeah. I'm pretty sure that all of the interiors are going to be constructed in a modern style. They only raised enough money to construct three out of four façades, hence why there's that far more dull one facing the Spree.
Please don't spread half-truths, if you don't know for sure.

There was actually never the intention to rebuild the City Palace as the City Palace (with all it's interiors and facades). What is being build right now is the Humboldt Forum, a modern convention center and museum complex, but clad with the three baroque facades of the City Palace. A long time it wasn't even clear, if these three facades would come back, as some modernists highly objected against it. It was a two decades long and hard battle! So, the old interiors were not considered, because there was no money, but because all space was from the beginning intended to be used for conventions and museum exhibits.
There is however still the chance, to rebuild some of the interiors in the future. For example the "Gigantentreppe":

This historic staircase will now be occupied by the lapidariu, in which some remnants of the original baroque facade will be showcased. So not much of the actual convention and museum space would be affected, if the lapidariu would cease to exist. After the facade has been completely paid by donations, this will be the first historic interior, that they might consider bringing back. Might consider! I have the feeling, this once again will be a hard and long battle against the modernists.

Fudgis liked this post

Last edited by Tiaren; August 11th, 2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old August 11th, 2015, 09:03 PM   #1411
Joe Whalen 7

Likes (Received): 131

The Fourth Side

Keep in mind that there never was a uniform baroque fourth side of the stadtschloss but rather a mixture of odds and ends of earlier structures. Personally, I would have just carried the architecture of the other three sides on around the fourth side. However, there are those purists who object to mixing original and new parts of a building and making them appear to be one seamless whole. Most likely, that viewpoint won out in the end.
Joe Whalen 7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 11:03 PM   #1412
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 795

I read somewhere that the interior of the Palace can be rebuilt. Not everything, but a big part of it. I can see it happening in the future since the public will probably LOVE the finished product in 2019, so they will want more.

Fudgis, JustinHerman liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 03:25 AM   #1413
Ulpia-Serdica
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7648

Germany's biggest cultural building project is taking shape near Berlin's Museum Island. Those in charge of it hope to avoid the skyrocketing costs and postponed deadlines that have plagued other prestige projects such as the new Berlin airport.

JustinHerman, Chadoh25, Ludi, Jozef77, Catadau liked this post
Ulpia-Serdica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 06:50 PM   #1414
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Likes (Received): 34816

© qualifier

soweit nicht anders angegeben außerhalb von den Skybars.

Berlin Projects

Jozef77, bribri, Erni79 liked this post
Ludi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 09:10 PM   #1415
Tiaren

Ludi, the pics you are sometimes posting by this "qualifier", where do you get them from? Is there any chance, that guy can do pictures without always adding those horrible image quality destroying filters? Is he posting them on Instagram, lol?

Last edited by Tiaren; August 13th, 2015 at 10:14 PM.
Old August 14th, 2015, 12:01 AM   #1416
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Likes (Received): 34816

You should ask him.

soweit nicht anders angegeben außerhalb von den Skybars.

Berlin Projects
Ludi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2015, 11:39 PM   #1417
dodo00

Likes (Received): 36

Floorplan

There's a lothians blog called * A Virtual Tour of the Berlin Royal Palace State Apartments [Berliner Stadtschloss] * that shows all the state apartments and gives a high res floor plan, for those of you that havent read it yet
dodo00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2015, 11:41 PM   #1418
dodo00

I also have a layout that shows all the additions, their dates, and their architects, but i cant post it cause i dont have 10 posts yet
Old August 14th, 2015, 11:49 PM   #1419
dodo00

Interiors

Even better, I can't post links, but look up historisches stadschloss and click on the first link, then click on old palace or new palace and there's tons of info on old rooms (even more obscure ones) if you haven't seen it already.
Old August 16th, 2015, 03:43 PM   #1420
cilindr0

Likes (Received): 742

Well in 7 posts you will be able to

Tags
baroque fassade, berlin, construction field, heart of the city, humboldt lab dahlem, lustgarten, museum island, prussia, reconstruction, stadtschloss, stella