daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 5th, 2015, 02:06 AM   #1441
FrancoJR

Likes (Received): 111

BERLIN | City Palace Reconstruction (Stadtschloss) - "Humboldt-Forum" | U/C

Photo by: frank1204. http://www.stadtbild-deutschland.org...597&pageNo=446

The bases for the colossal columns on the west facade are looking great!

Last edited by FrancoJR; September 6th, 2015 at 02:58 AM.
FrancoJR no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2015, 06:09 PM   #1442
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Likes (Received): 34650

thx, but you got permission to use his pics?

soweit nicht anders angegeben außerhalb von den Skybars.

Berlin Projects
Ludi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2015, 06:18 PM   #1443
hp7960

Likes (Received): 3673

They are signed so there shouldn't be any problem, I think
hp7960 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2015, 11:30 PM   #1444
Joe Whalen 7

Likes (Received): 128

Quality Work

Every time I see a "close up" of the finish work on the new building it's obvious that the quality for which German workmanship is known worldwide is going into the construction.

robertwood, Tiaren, Steve Gatlin, Fudgis liked this post
Joe Whalen 7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2015, 02:44 AM   #1445
FrancoJR

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post
thx, but you got permission to use his pics?
I thought credit and link was enough. I've got his permission now (after your message). Thanks for the tip.
FrancoJR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2015, 11:05 PM   #1446
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opulentus View Post
No doubt that some ultra-politically-correct person will claim that it's 'oppressive' or a violation of their 'human rights'. Similar to what happens whenever there's an attempt to instate some form of Christian symbolism.
That's just stupid. If a cross was on the original building, then just leave it on. It's a historic German symbol.

Opulentus, The Eagle liked this post
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2015, 09:58 PM   #1447
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

What are you guys even talking about? The original cross will be on top of the building. It has already been donated for one million € by a German billionaire's widow.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 07:14 AM   #1448
Alphaville

Likes (Received): 372

Does anybody else find this reconstruction to be a bit problematic? I understand the DDR Building was structurally unsound (and carried bad memories for many) but maybe something entirely new should have occurred on the site - insteading of dwelling on the past. What about a symbol for Germany's future?

derzberb liked this post
Alphaville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 02:43 PM   #1449
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

This IS a symbol of Germany's future!
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 05:24 PM   #1450
Opulentus

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaville View Post
Does anybody else find this reconstruction to be a bit problematic? I understand the DDR Building was structurally unsound (and carried bad memories for many) but maybe something entirely new should have occurred on the site - insteading of dwelling on the past. What about a symbol for Germany's future?
Sometimes the best way to go forward is to look back.
Opulentus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 06:29 PM   #1451
dodo00

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Why would we need yet ANOTHER modern building? There are plenty of modern buildings that point to the future. I think that this building is actually a great symbol of moving ahead without forgetting the past. They say those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it, after all. I personally think its silly that Germany has gone all this time being such a prominent european country withOUT a palace representing its imperial history. Would germany deny what made them a world power in the first place? France glorifies the sun king, russia catherine the great, britain queen Victoria. Think of royal palaces of Russia, England, France, Spain, Poland even rebuilt THEIRS after the war, and they even rebuilt the interiors! To complain about what is only a facade, not even the interiors just seems petty to me.
dodo00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 07:11 PM   #1452
dodo00

If you don't agree with the politics of what I just said, I'd still argue that the artistic worth of the sculptures alone on the palace facade far outweigh anything a modern building would bring to the table, not to mention keeping old crafts like bricklaying and sculpting alive

Fudgis, erbse, storms991, quagga, City Cityzen liked this post
Old September 8th, 2015, 07:41 PM   #1453
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
No, not at all. What you have to consider first, Berlin wouldn't be Berlin without the palace. The city of today would have stayed the small, provincial town it was in the Renaissance era, if the Prussian electors, later kings and later German emperors hadn't made it their residence. All of today's Berlin grew around the palace. It was the city's focus point. There would be no use for Berlin's most famous boulevard Unter den Linden with the Brandenburg Gate, if it wasn't leading from and to the palace. There would be no use for the Cathedral without the palace, there would be no use for the Zeughaus (royal armory), the Marstall (royal stables), for the Lustgarten (pleasure grounds), for the Schlossbrücke (Palace Bridge) and even no use for Museum Island, if there was no palace. After the grave mistake and horrible crime, that the destruction of the palace was, the city as a whole didn't make sense anymore. The most important building every other building and street was referring to, was completely gone. It's like London without the Tower or Moscow without the Kremlin. There was only one real solution to heal the city...and that was giving it back it's heart. Not some freaky, modern experiment, to turn it into Frankenstein's monster.

Last edited by Tiaren; September 8th, 2015 at 07:47 PM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 09:19 PM   #1454
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7404

Quote:
What do you have in mind? A mosque?

robertwood liked this post
Saxonia está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2015, 01:42 PM   #1455
albanyjd

Likes (Received): 5

On Schedule?

Looks like construction is moving along quickly. Does anyone know if construction is on schedule? Thanks!
albanyjd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2015, 03:46 PM   #1456
_Barca_

Likes (Received): 73

Once the whole building is finished and everyone agrees that the modern facade is a disgrace, could it be destroyed without threatening the building structure?
_Barca_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2015, 04:18 PM   #1457
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57912

The Spree facade isn't structurally important at all. The courtyard baroque facade that it also carries can be structurally independent like all other facades. So yes, it can be torn down without much hassle (another thing Franco Stella might have planned on purpose ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by albanyjd View Post
Does anyone know if construction is on schedule?
It actually is a bit ahead of schedule. Let's see what the winter brings. If it's a largely mild one again like the last, construction works can proceed even quicker.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2015, 05:50 PM   #1458
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

erbse is back !
Old September 12th, 2015, 12:03 AM   #1459
dodo00

Palace Blueprints

Hey, I found a site with elevations and floor plans of the palace!
They appear to have been drawn by schulter himself but not sure
Here's the gallery with all the pictures including many interior pictures
http://www.europeana.eu/portal/searc...ss%22&qt=false

I wont post links to the ground floor or main floor cause their plans are fairly easy to find, but the site also has plans for those.
some random elevation
http://biblio.unibe.ch/web-apps/maps...l=ryh&ilang=DE
Schulter courtyard and an exterior elevation with the turret things
http://biblio.unibe.ch/web-apps/maps...l=ryh&ilang=DE
This SAYS its the ground floor, but it seems to be more that one floor between the ground floor and the stateroom floor
http://architekturmuseum.ub.tu-berli...00WM/46375.jpg
here's an elevation of the spree facade
http://architekturmuseum.ub.tu-berli...00WM/14567.jpg
This has an elevation of the eosander portal, as well as portal 1
http://architekturmuseum.ub.tu-berli...M/B%200331.jpg
a plan of the main entrance on the schulterhof
http://architekturmuseum.ub.tu-berli...M/B%200330.jpg
an elevation of portal 5 (dont get excited, that cutaway is from a different building)
http://architekturmuseum.ub.tu-berli...M/B%200332.jpg
cutaway of the weisser saal
http://architekturmuseum.ub.tu-berli...00WM/17275.jpg
cutaway of the chapel
http://architekturmuseum.ub.tu-berli...00WM/17274.jpg
this seems to be the ground floor plan for that one strange older building separating the inner and outer courtyards
http://architekturmuseum.ub.tu-berli...00WM/19349.jpg
enjoy!
Old September 12th, 2015, 12:14 AM   #1460
dodo00

also, check it out! I never noticed before, but there were tiny windows hidden in the base of the roof balustrade! I sadly doubt THOSE are getting restored... still, gotta be grateful we're getting a reconstruction in the first place
http://architekturmuseum.ub.tu-berli...9&Daten=145700
and is it just me, or are those MEZZANINE windows right below the windows of the main floor?!! could just be vents though
and check out that little crown ontop of the corner dome/turret thing! every time I look at this picture, I notice something new...
And on the fourth floor, there's supposed to be a window hidden into that right eosander portal chamfer, but they are forgetting about it in the reconstruction! Now I'm getting annoyed...
oh, and check out that little staircase thingy going from the roof into the windows of the dome! All these little details...

Last edited by dodo00; September 12th, 2015 at 12:25 AM.

Tags
baroque fassade, berlin, construction field, heart of the city, humboldt lab dahlem, lustgarten, museum island, prussia, reconstruction, stadtschloss, stella