daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 12th, 2015, 01:22 AM   #1461
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

You noticed all these minor details yet didn't realize, that the top of Eosander Portal is completely different, to what is being build right now?
In the late 19th century, when the houses opposite of the palace were torn down and replaced by the national monument, the west facade got a complete facelift (and the photo you are looking at was taken before that). For that reason you might notice some changes here and there. The now reconstructed palace will have the appearance, that it had prior to WWII, with all the changes made in the 19th century. It's seen as the most complete and most coherent version of the palace, a building, that was built on for centuries and that was never really finished.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2015, 05:16 PM   #1462
dodo00

Likes (Received): 36

Thanks for clarifying a bit, but looking at demolition photos, the chamfer window was still there along with the stairs to the dome, one picture of which I posted two pages ago. Also, I looked it up, and in pictures with the curved pediment above the eosander portal, all mezzanine windows are still in place. I also discovered that there was a stage after the demolition of the houses where a crest had been added, but the curved pediment was not yet installed. Interesting! Still at the very least the omission of the right 4th floor chamfer window will continue to bug me.
EDIT I found later pictures where the mezzanine windows are gone, turns out you were right about that part!
http://www.laits.utexas.edu/berlin/i...adtschloss.jpg
Here's a picture from after the war where the chamfer window can clearly be seen, though
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...%2C_Abriss.jpg

Last edited by dodo00; September 12th, 2015 at 05:32 PM.
dodo00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2015, 08:53 PM   #1463
GBguy23

Likes (Received): 11

Hi everyone, out of curiosity...do they ever plan on reconstructing the old city center of Berlin like they have in Warsaw?
GBguy23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 08:28 PM   #1464
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57874

^ Well, it's sort of discussed currently what to do with the core old town quarters of Berlin.

Go to this thread: BERLIN | Marx-Engels-Forum, Marien Quarter and Molkenmarket (historical center) - Redevelopment

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Ludi liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2015, 02:45 AM   #1465
Joe Whalen 7

Likes (Received): 128

Restoration of the "Old City Center"

It would help if you defined the "Old City Center" of Berlin. Unlike Warsaw and a number of other European cities, Berlin does not have a central square or market place around which the city grew up over the centuries that had come down to us only to be destroyed or heavily damaged in World War II. To me, Berlin is more the place where a number of historic buildings and sites that are scattered over the urban landscape have either been restored or rebuilt or are lost forever.

Ludi, MDRB liked this post
Joe Whalen 7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 08:38 PM   #1466
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBguy23 View Post
Hi everyone, out of curiosity...do they ever plan on reconstructing the old city center of Berlin like they have in Warsaw?

Well, it depends on what you would call "old city center". Berlin actually did reconstruct a good chunk of it's 17th/18th/19th century city center along Unter den Linden and on Museumisland. Everything you see here in blue is either preserved or has been reconstructed or will be reconstructed in the near future:

It's a fairly large space, definitely comparable to Warsaw's rather small old town.

Here's a view towards the Palace in 2019:

The red parts on the map once was the medieval old town of Berlin. But by the 20th century it was already overbuild by buildings that dated from the 17th/18th/19th century, so not really older than the area around Unter den Linden.

JustinHerman liked this post

Last edited by Tiaren; September 27th, 2015 at 08:54 PM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 01:22 AM   #1467
erbse
LIBERTINED

But lots inside old town quarters were usually smaller and it all felt more old-town-like.

Parts of that were reconstructed too, and mingled together. For instance at Märkisches Ufer and at Nikolaiviertel, some odd GDR attempt at reconstructions and postmodern chunks. Neighbouring Molkenmarkt and Marienviertel areas will be especially relevant in the years to come.

Old September 28th, 2015, 03:26 AM   #1468
Joe Whalen 7

Likes (Received): 128

Regarding "Old City Center"

I think that Tiaren is making my point for me. He is showing a rather large area that has already either been restored or rebuilt and it doesn't revolve around a central point like in Warsaw. As a result, I 'm not following what you now feel that they ought to either restore or rebuild. Unless you are suggesting that they move on to other neighborhoods, the impression is left (with me at least) that that ship has sailed. Of course, I welcome the chance to learn otherwise.
Joe Whalen 7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 02:36 PM   #1469
erbse
LIBERTINED

Pardon me, what exactly are you saying? That you think there's no chance for further reconstructions? The vital old town areas across the City Palace won't offer that much potential for reconstructions (instead new classical experiments could be vitally successful), but there could be some model buildings that will see their comeback, similar to what happened at Nikolai quarter.

Old September 28th, 2015, 02:47 PM   #1470
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

The perfect solution for me would be a complete reconstruction of the historical old town. It would bring Berlin's identity back, it would create a small and cozy neighbourhood for Berliners and their guests and it would be a good counterpart to Berlin City Castle and the Museum Island. The rest of Berlin should see the return of the original street plan, but with combination of awesome contemporary architecture and beautiful revivalism of historical styles that's been popular in the city in the last years.
Old September 28th, 2015, 04:46 PM   #1471
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Likes (Received): 34646

"Historical City Center"..., dont forget, Berlin incorporated lot of other citys before and they all have own historical centers too.
So Köpenick, Spandau, Pankow, Wilmersdorf, Charlottenburg, etc. also have historical centers, but the center of Prussian Berlin as a matter of fact was the Museum Island and Unter den Linden. The Kurfürstendamm, Hohenzollerndamm, Kaiserdamm( Western City) and Potsdam of course have been important in Prussian times too.

soweit nicht anders angegeben außerhalb von den Skybars.

Berlin Projects

Ludi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 04:50 PM   #1472
erbse
LIBERTINED

When this notion is made, usually the oldest parts of the city are referred to.
And that's, by all means, the medieval heart of Berlin around St. Nikolai, St. Marien and former St. Petri (including parts of the royal palace).

Old September 28th, 2015, 04:57 PM   #1473
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
When this notion is made, usually the oldest parts of the city are referred to.
And that's, by all means, the medieval heart of Berlin around St. Nikolai, St. Marien and former St. Petri (including parts of the royal palace).
That's the area I was referring to. It's crucial for Berlin to reconstruct, or at least to restore the street plan of that part of the city. Then Berlin will become a truly fantastic city, with narrow, old streets of Old Berlin, beautiful highrises of Potsdamer Platz and almost classical buildings that are being built all around the city.

The Eagle liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 09:41 PM   #1474
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

historical lanterns coming back too...

my own pics, ©Ludi

Berlin Projects
Old September 30th, 2015, 03:17 AM   #1475
JustinHerman

Likes (Received): 169

Great close-ups of construction progress and window details, and awesome news about the street lamps. Are they original, or are they being newly cast? Either way wouldn't matter if they're cast iron; what matters is the appearance they lend to the neighborhood. Downright astonishing, really.

P.S. Ludi, could you please post another link to the webcam? I'm having to go all the way back to Page 62 for the most recent link. :-)
JustinHerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 12:54 PM   #1476
erbse
LIBERTINED

Actually it's sufficient to google "Schloss webcam", but here you go.

http://cam03.berlinerschloss-webcam.de/

Old September 30th, 2015, 02:55 PM   #1477
Tande

Likes (Received): 2140

Do some people really think, that putting cross at top of the dome is "offensive"?

Last edited by Tande; September 30th, 2015 at 03:03 PM.
Tande no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 03:01 PM   #1478
Tande

Likes (Received): 2140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post
"Historical City Center"..., dont forget, Berlin incorporated lot of other citys before and they all have own historical centers too.
So Köpenick, Spandau, Pankow, Wilmersdorf, Charlottenburg, etc. also have historical centers, but the center of Prussian Berlin as a matter of fact was the Museum Island and Unter den Linden. The Kurfürstendamm, Hohenzollerndamm, Kaiserdamm( Western City) and Potsdam of course have been important in Prussian times too.
That's what I like about Berlin. As it has multiple city centers. -Alexanderplatz, Mitte, Ku'ddam, Potsdamer Platz. + The many smaller centers.

Sechou liked this post
Tande no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 02:18 AM   #1479
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Berlin Projects

N/A, albanyjd, Catadau, JustinHerman liked this post
Old October 1st, 2015, 02:51 AM   #1480
kaiserad

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post
I love me an aerial.. but yikes, the building doesn't even look centered/paralleled to the lot…????

Tags
baroque fassade, berlin, construction field, heart of the city, humboldt lab dahlem, lustgarten, museum island, prussia, reconstruction, stadtschloss, stella