daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 8th, 2015, 04:59 PM   #1521
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5619

Also very interesting, probably the most for dodo00:

The official site of the Stadtschloss reconstruction wrote an article (in German) about the reconstruction of the statues adorning the facades:
http://berliner-schloss.de/blog/die-...saden-teil-ii/

They want to get as close to the original baroque sculptures as possible with the help of many old photos taken at different times and perspectives. Before their destruction after WWII some of the statues were already replaced by Wilhelmine (or as some forumers would call it "Victorian" ) copies of the statues. These statues had lost most of their baroque dynamism and lightness and were modeled after 19th century preferences.

Baroque original (on the left):

Wilhelmine copy (on the left):

Now the original baroque versions will be recreated, not the Wilhelmine ones.

A so called "bolzetti" a still sketchy, smaller clay version of the upcoming recreations, were you can already guess the baroque dynamism:

A life-sized gypsum recreation of a royal crest that will later be carved in stone:

Here the crest at it's original place situated above the statues:

erbse, arac, Catadau, Roman_P, JustinHerman and 6 others liked this post
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2015, 05:18 PM   #1522
dodo00

Likes (Received): 36

That IS interesting. Tiaras, didn't you say they were creating the most recent version of the palace? Was that just conjecture, because this flies in the face of that. Still, I'm torn, because though I usually prefer imperfections to be recreated, I'm for some reason happy to get original statues...
dodo00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2015, 05:10 AM   #1523
dodo00

I had never seen a color picture of the Schluterhof, but it makes it seem so much more real! Foreboding too... but I noticed, there is no hole in the concrete for that window in the corner of the top floor! They can recreate all the statues so accurately, yet purposefully omit all these windows!

EDIT: upon further thought, they're probably going to reconstruct the window, but just have it as a recessed opening instead of a full window. In the future I've decided to save my gripes for after construction is completed, because you remember the mezzanine windows I pointed out? They did reconstruct them, but in a recessed form instead of full window form. I'm convinced that they are dealing with irregular windows in this method across the board now, but we'll have to wait and see.

Simfan34 liked this post

Last edited by dodo00; November 9th, 2015 at 05:48 AM.
Old November 10th, 2015, 06:37 AM   #1524
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 2463

How dilapidated the Palace looked, but it still stood! I assume this was post-war? A crime to have destroyed it in the first place!
Old November 10th, 2015, 07:27 AM   #1525
dodo00

No, that was before the war, it had just absorbed all the soot of 230 years.
Here's some photos to show the palace interior after the war! Warning, it's depressing...

Weissersaal

Elizabethsaal

Rittersaal, probably looking northeast

first floor (second floor in america) hallway on north side of schluterhof

altekapelle, looking south i think

marmortreppe, looking northeast i think

gigantentreppe, first floor (second in america) looking west

Tiaren, you remember when you said they CAN reconstruct rooms if they want after its done? Do you know if that's an official add on, or just a suggestion like how they said they might leave it to future generations? I really hope its a real possibility!
Old November 10th, 2015, 06:56 PM   #1526
Chris_57

Likes (Received): 2

Hi, I'm new to this forum, it's great! I've been following the project for a few weeks now. Just a few questions about the reconstruction.. Will the two smaller domes be reconstructed at a later date or are they not included within the rebuild? And will the gates be reinstated at each portal or will they be left out ? Thanks guys, Chris

Titan Man, erbse liked this post
Chris_57 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2015, 07:48 PM   #1527
dodo00

I know the corner domes are getting rebuilt, but I haven't seen the gates in any renders that I can remember.. I think they're getting glass doors instead?

I also found some more interior plans I wanted to post

Erbse posted this cutaway of the eosander portal, chapel, and dome

Here's another site with tons of info on interiors

german so that you can see pdfs
http://www.berliner-historische-mitt...ossraeume.html
english so you can read the titles
https://translate.googleusercontent....xqY4u9Bzg7riXg

One interesting thing on there, I never thought I'd see photos from the third floor (mezzanine) but here they were!
http://www.berliner-historische-mitt...nstkammern.pdf

Finally, this site has information on the early water systems of the palace, as well as a cutaway that shows that before the dome was added, there used to be cisterns above the eosander portal! Also, The site contains a decent floor plan of the south corner of the third floor, something I've never seen before.

http://www.luise-berlin.de/bms/bmstxt00/0008prob.htm

in english
https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url
Old November 11th, 2015, 12:40 AM   #1528
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59640

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo00 View Post
I know the corner domes are getting rebuilt
They aren't intended for reconstruction currently. I just hope they'll get added later, like some important interiors that could easily come back (like the Gigantentreppe / main staircase and its adjacent Schweizer Saal / Swiss Saloon).

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2015, 02:07 AM   #1529
dodo00

They're not?!!! But they were in all the renders... Anyways, erbse, have you found any more cutaways or a better 3rd floor plan? The one I found was only partial and the complete version we see is that one with no doorways. Also, I noticed they haven't left room for reconstruction of the Elizabeth saal, the third floor cuts right through it. That was disappointing...
Edit: Augh! Same thing with the rittersaal! I had no idea they were only considering the schweizer saal...
Old November 11th, 2015, 03:29 AM   #1530
robertwood

Likes (Received): 321

Those post war interior pictures are heartbreaking!
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2015, 05:45 AM   #1531
MDRB

Likes (Received): 23

Beautiful yet sad
Old November 11th, 2015, 04:57 PM   #1532
Chris_57

Likes (Received): 2

dodo00 - Thank you for the reply! I hope the gates will be included somehow. I wonder what happened to the originals, they must have been salvaged before demolition.

Erbse - It's a shame that they are not being included but hopefully in future they will be incorporated into the design, especially if they were looking to base the reconstruction on what it looked like just before the war. where they purely decoration or did they have some sort of usage ? I agree, the Gigantentreppe would look incredible!
Chris_57 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2015, 07:55 PM   #1533
FrancoJR

Likes (Received): 111

It looks like things are going according to plans, but Portal I will have to do some catching up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post

Source: Humboldtforum
FrancoJR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2015, 11:37 PM   #1534
dodo00

I don't trust the blueprints online a great deal... I'm always finding small discrepancies in window size and/or placement
Old November 11th, 2015, 11:41 PM   #1535
dodo00

Oh, that's supposed to be end of 2015? Great! I'm so sick of the portals, the most interesting parts of the facades, being big grey rectangles. It makes the project feel less complete than it actually is
Old November 14th, 2015, 03:29 PM   #1536
robertwood

Likes (Received): 321

Website
Go here to donate and find more info: http://berliner-schloss.de/en/donations/ Just a friendly reminder that you can more than just admire this project. You can actually help build something that will be there for the ages. Without getting into a war discussion I especially ask my fellow Americans to donate since we had a hand in so much of the architectural losses. Obviously Germany is our friend and we should help our friends. We are about halfway there on the money needed to recreate the baroque facades and Schluterhof.

durden5573, erbse liked this post

Last edited by robertwood; November 15th, 2015 at 04:04 PM.
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2015, 01:03 PM   #1537
enobarbus

Likes (Received): 505

I saw this monstrosity under construction in Berlin last week. I have to say this is the most ill-conceived and ridiculous project I've ever come across - especially given it's in an apparently forward-looking place like Berlin.
enobarbus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2015, 01:16 PM   #1538
MDRB

Likes (Received): 23

I think that this is the type of commentary that you need to avoid. If you don't like it, please don't say that in this community, well at least in that way.

robertwood liked this post
MDRB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2015, 02:58 PM   #1539
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59640

enobarbus:
The Berlin City Palace is about restoring the heart of the city that was ripped off by war and communists. It's a crucial part of Berlin's and Germany's identity, it's like New York's Statue of Liberty or France's Arc de Triomphe or Versailles Palace would be blown away. Do you really think it would be ill-conceived to reconstruct these? Or was it ill-conceived to reconstruct the Campanile of Venice?

Berlin is forward looking. But you also need to know where you came from, to know where you are going!

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #1540
ELH

Likes (Received): 598

Quote:
Originally Posted by enobarbus View Post
I saw this monstrosity under construction in Berlin last week. I have to say this is the most ill-conceived and ridiculous project I've ever come across - especially given it's in an apparently forward-looking place like Berlin.
Berlin is luckily indifferent to what people like you, who might be "forward looking", yet "appearantly narrow mindedly" thinks.

For me, it appears the most likely that you lack perspectives concerning the city´s aspirations - or maybe - that you simply disagree with them, wich is then a completely different business.

Can´t wait to see the finished Forum, although I also keep a great reserve about the modernist waterfront facade; a great miscalculation to an otherwise great project.

The real value of the project can be judged only after the area of the Marx-Engels re-developed.

erbse, robertwood, durden5573 liked this post
ELH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
baroque fassade, berlin, construction field, heart of the city, humboldt lab dahlem, lustgarten, museum island, prussia, reconstruction, stadtschloss, stella