daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 16th, 2015, 04:52 PM   #1601
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Likes (Received): 34650

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisrevid View Post

Bilder von mir
Pics ©SSC-User noisrevid

soweit nicht anders angegeben außerhalb von den Skybars.

Berlin Projects

JustinHerman, AbidM, Vessou liked this post
Ludi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2015, 02:53 AM   #1602
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Very interesting short documentary "What happened to the remains of the City Palace" on RBB television:
https://www.rbb-online.de/abendschau...dtschloss.html
In German only though...

JustinHerman liked this post
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2015, 05:32 PM   #1603
JustinHerman

Likes (Received): 169

Very poignant video. It makes me appreciate even more profoundly the reconstruction of at least part of this magnificent building. Thank you for posting.
JustinHerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2015, 07:02 PM   #1604
dodo00

Likes (Received): 36

When you say only one third of the rooms CAN be reconstructed, do you remember what that means? I wonder if it means only a third had pictures taken, or only a third were worth reconstructing for historical significance. I read somewhere that only 60 rooms or so are architecturally significant enough to warrant reconstruction. I'd argue around 80 are beautiful enough to warrant reconstruction, but 60 is already a large number admittedly. The entire interiors of the northwest corner dated from the 1910s or so because Wilhelm II changed the entire corner's inside layout from basement to attic, so those rooms may not be deemed historically significant enough. Did I post the links to those pdfs with photos of all the obscure private rooms here? They contain photos of an incredible number of private apartments, but there are still some large rooms in the southwest corner on the second (third in america) floor which had no photos provided. I wonder if no photos were taken of them, or if they were not architecturally significant enough to be considered for reconstruction?
dodo00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2015, 09:03 PM   #1605
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo00 View Post
When you say only one third of the rooms CAN be reconstructed, do you remember what that means? I wonder if it means only a third had pictures taken, or only a third were worth reconstructing for historical significance. I read somewhere that only 60 rooms or so are architecturally significant enough to warrant reconstruction. I'd argue around 80 are beautiful enough to warrant reconstruction, but 60 is already a large number admittedly. The entire interiors of the northwest corner dated from the 1910s or so because Wilhelm II changed the entire corner's inside layout from basement to attic, so those rooms may not be deemed historically significant enough. Did I post the links to those pdfs with photos of all the obscure private rooms here? They contain photos of an incredible number of private apartments, but there are still some large rooms in the southwest corner on the second (third in america) floor which had no photos provided. I wonder if no photos were taken of them, or if they were not architecturally significant enough to be considered for reconstruction?
The reconstructed palace structurally supports reconstruction of only a third of the original interior, as I read in an article by some popular German papers, maybe Bild or Reuters, don't remember anymore. That one third includes state rooms which were architecturally important, the others were offices for some statesmen or something like that so they decided not to allow their future reconstruction as they were not so important.
Old December 19th, 2015, 05:16 AM   #1606
dodo00

Well, as you may have noticed, there is no room for the rittersaal or elizabethsaal. The top floor extends directly through their upper halves! If they say there is room for all the staterooms, then that information is obviously untrustworthy. The chapel doesn't have enough ceiling height either. They have left room for the Schweitzer saal, but even to reconstruct the gigantentreppe, they'd have to tear out a concrete floor or two. If you accept that there is room for all the state chambers, then by that measure, there's room for every room in the entire palace because they are even required to tear out concrete floors to fulfill this statement...
Old December 20th, 2015, 01:05 AM   #1607
Joe Whalen 7

Likes (Received): 128

Stadtschloss Interiors

I think that you "purists" will just have to live with the fact that there doesn't seem to be any current plans to rebuild any of the former palace interiors. Frankly, I admire the way that they are reconstructing the historic facades of the building and coupling those with functional interiors that have a purpose in the 21st century. Some time in the future, they might reconstruct one or two of the original rooms, but more than that would take changing the purpose of the building from what we in America would call a convention center and museum complex to that of a complete historic reconstruction. Frankly, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.
Joe Whalen 7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2015, 08:26 PM   #1608
dodo00

I live with the lack of current plans for interior reconstruction. However, the schweitzer saal does have its original footprint cast into concrete. I'd agree that a complete historic reconstruction at present appears to be a long shot, but I will still hold out hope for it, it's just one of those things I can't help. I mean, 30 years ago it was considered a long shot to ever have the palace exist again in any form. Yet, against great opposition, public opinion eventually turned, and today we have an incredibly accurate shell back in its original place. At Catherine Palace, they started with only a reconstruction of the rococo staterooms of Rastrelli, yet that has been completed for decades. Five years ago or so, the Arabesque hall was restored, then the agate chambers, and this year, restoration commences on the Chapel. Although I'll admit Russian interior reconstruction seems to be much more driven than the Germans', Once one room is finished, others seem to follow one at a time, even if it takes 50 years. Also, I don't understand why people seem to think it is impractical to use rooms with baroque decoration as event spaces and museum display rooms.. these rooms are quite large. You say it has to transition from a museum and convention center into a historic reconstruction? Why not have all three? Even with 60 reconstructed rooms, there is still plenty of space on the top floor, in the ground floor, in the basement... There are only three architecturally significant rooms I've seen in the entire ground floor, and that cross wing between the courtyards only has the alabastersaal..

ChinaBRICS, ILOVENY liked this post
Old December 22nd, 2015, 10:23 PM   #1609
Tiaren

Dodo00, you always seem very passionate about the reconstruction of the City Palace. Have you thought about or maybe already donated money to this cause?
If there are enough donations they confirmed that they will at least reconstruct the Gigantentreppe.

After that the next possible recontruction would indeed be the Schweizer Saal.

But if they barely get enough money to reconstruct the fascades (and it sadly looks like this right now) there won't be any reconstructed rooms, as easy as that.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 11:56 PM   #1610
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

I don't understand the logic that the reconstructed palaces like this one must have a purpose as office space or something like that. When you look at the Russian palaces, they all have reconstructed interiors, and those rooms were bloody hard and expensive to rebuild. Yet they are visited by millions of tourists and they are UNESCO World Heritage Sites, it is quite obvious they've made quite an income over the years. I think if, for instance, Mannheim Palace gets completely rebuilt, it would bring many tourists to the city, including me probably. Same goes for Berlin Palace. It's not always about functionality, and functionality is not always about profit.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 12:41 AM   #1611
Tiaren

What are you talking about? Germany has reconstructed probably more palaces and castles inside and out in the past than Russia has.

Some well known examples:

Charlottenburg Palace, Berlin:

Schloss Charlottenburg by Jonathan, on Flickr

Residence, Munich:

Festsaalbau der Residenz, München by Anton Schedlbauer, on Flickr

Residence, Würzburg:

Würzburg Residence by Felix's Endless Journey, on Flickr

Augustusburg Palace, Brühl:

Schloss Augustusburg in Brühl by Christine, on Flickr

Bruchsal Palace:

Schloss Bruchsal by Markus Hermenau, on Flickr

Palace, Dresden (still ongoing):

Dresden, Residenzschloß by rengawfalo, on Flickr

It's just at present time, that there are mostly only facade reconstructions in Germany. As you know this country is a very frugal and austere country for several reasons. It's not just itself that it has worry about.

Last edited by Tiaren; December 23rd, 2015 at 12:53 AM.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 12:41 AM   #1612
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57991

The current situation is the critical issue though. The discussion about reconstructions turned very dogmatic in the past decades, and only slowly we're getting back to a point where this isn't such an outrageous issue to the (leftist) 'elite'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
It's not always about functionality, and functionality is not always about profit.
Exactly. It's not like form follows function; form can be a (beautiful) function in itself.

Our lovely old towns, palaces, cathedrals and other landmarks all around the globe prove it.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 02:05 AM   #1613
dodo00

Tiaren: Yes, I am very passionate about the interior reconstruction, probably a bit too much honestly.. I have thought about giving money, but it doesn't feel right when I'm currently so financially dependent.

Also, I wasn't aware they had confirmed the possibility of the staircase! Great news

Also, I'll concede to your point on the German Palaces, I only knew about three of those. When I was in the Zwinger giftshop, I bought a big book about the Dresden Residenz interior restoration, but it was mostly for pictures.

So, is the donation status for the exterior walls in a grave position? I remember seeing that barely over half of the donations have been given, is this the reason for the slowing of construction?
Old December 23rd, 2015, 02:11 AM   #1614
Orgón

Likes (Received): 438

Berlin is Magic!!!
Orgón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 02:41 AM   #1615
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2088

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
What are you talking about? Germany has reconstructed probably more palaces and castles inside and out in the past than Russia has.

Some well known examples:

Residence, Würzburg:

Würzburg Residence by Felix's Endless Journey, on Flickr.
They are all splendid. This is one is exceptionally magnificent.

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"We are more closely connected to the invisible than to the visible"

-Novalis

Brucey7, djole13 liked this post
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 02:54 AM   #1616
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57991

^ Check out the marvellous interiors of the Würzburg Residence, esp. the staircase and the chapel, it's World Heritage for a reason!
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/C..._W%C3%BCrzburg

Let's not forget about the Dresden Zwinger either, which was largely reconstructed!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwinger_%28Dresden%29

(It's quite odd how the English Wiki article about it is so tiny, given its global relevance and compared to the German article...)

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

TimothyR, Titan Man liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 04:08 AM   #1617
Tiaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo00 View Post
So, is the donation status for the exterior walls in a grave position? I remember seeing that barely over half of the donations have been given, is this the reason for the slowing of construction?
They don't want to admit it yet, but it obviously is. The initial goal of 80 million was already a lot and just a few months ago they revised the needed amount of money to over 100 million, including more baroque details. Until 2017 the facade reconstruction will be finished. Realistically they will never be able to raise another 50 million in 1-2 years. But don't worry, the construction isn't going to slow or even halt. What they also don't want to admit, but which is an open secret by now: the government has actually already prepaid all facades. They naturally don't want any bad publicity because of yet another unfinished prestige project. On one hand that's a big worry less but on the other hand that means that there will be no interior reconstruction when the donations don't even cover the facades in the end.
So if you are able to donate something, even if it's just a small amount (5€?), just do it. If many pople would act like this, we might still finance more than just the facades after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyR View Post
They are all splendid. This is one is exceptionally magnificent.
In my opinion the Würzburg Residence is the most amazing baroque palace in all of Europe. Yes, even surpassing Versailles. It might not be as big (even though it is among the biggest baroque palaces in Europe) but it is even more precious and more of a "gesamtkunstwerk". Napolen was reportedly very impressed by it when he visited the city.

One of it's highlight is the largest painted ceiling in the entire world, painted by Italy's "greatest decorative painter of the eighteenth-century", Tiepolo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_Battista_Tiepolo

Treppenhaus der Würzburger Residenz by Matt Keyworth, on Flickr

This picture hardly manages to do this room justice though. Hard to photograph, it as to be experienced. :/

Once more a full exterior shot:
Würzburger Residenz by khoianh, on Flickr

TimothyR, Chadoh25, erbse liked this post

Last edited by Tiaren; December 23rd, 2015 at 04:15 AM.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 04:35 AM   #1618
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
^ Check out the marvellous interiors of the Würzburg Residence, esp. the staircase and the chapel, it's World Heritage for a reason!
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/C..._W%C3%BCrzburg
Stunning. That chapel is a perfect gem.

Quote:
Let's not forget about the Dresden Zwinger either, which was largely reconstructed!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwinger_%28Dresden%29
Yes I have visited the Zwinger. It was even more beautiful than it looked in photos.

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

djole13 liked this post
Old December 23rd, 2015, 04:42 AM   #1619
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
In my opinion the Würzburg Residence is the most amazing baroque palace in all of Europe. Yes, even surpassing Versailles. It might not be as big (even though it is among the biggest baroque palaces in Europe) but it is even more precious and more of a "gesamtkunstwerk". Napolen was reportedly very impressed by it when he visited the city.

One of it's highlight is the largest painted ceiling in the entire world, painted by Italy's "greatest decorative painter of the eighteenth-century", Tiepolo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_Battista_Tiepolo

Treppenhaus der Würzburger Residenz by Matt Keyworth, on Flickr
It is breathtaking. I will add it to my list of places - and cities - that I must see.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

ChinaBRICS, djole13 liked this post
Old December 23rd, 2015, 01:01 PM   #1620
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:

It's just at present time, that there are mostly only facade reconstructions in Germany. As you know this country is a very frugal and austere country for several reasons. It's not just itself that it has worry about.
I know, Germans are among the greatest masters, if not THE greatest masters when it comes to reconstruction. I was referring to the more recent reconstructions like Braunschweig Palace (today a mall), Potsdam City Palace (I was shocked when I noticed that they've modified the exterior in the courtyard, I wonder how would they incorporate the reconstructed interior, since I've read it can be reconstructed in future) and Berlin City Palace (too many modifications IMO, but I still support it). The older reconstruction efforts were shockingly amazing, especially Würzburg Residence. And it only costed 20 million euros. It is definitely my favourite palace interior in Germany (exterior being that of Hubertusburg Palace).

erbse, Tiaren liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
baroque fassade, berlin, construction field, heart of the city, humboldt lab dahlem, lustgarten, museum island, prussia, reconstruction, stadtschloss, stella