daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 28th, 2015, 06:42 PM   #1641
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

@Titan Man: Sanssouci belongs as much to Berlin as Versailles belongs to Paris. Even Schönbrunn was at it's time built outside the old city borders.
That's all I'm adding for now. You are right, these endless dicussions are futile and only strain this thread.

@Suburbanist, for once I do agree with you.
Even though many (including me) are disappointed that there will be no interior reconstructions for now, don't forget that this building was not thought to be a palace reconstruction in the first place, but the construction of a 21. century museum and exhibition place. Only it's facades and courts will look like the old City Palace.
And please also don't forget, that instead of the baroque interior you will be able to see one of -if not THE- world's most impressive ethnographic exhibitions. Now with more space than ever before. So it will be nontheless a first rate tourist attraction.

Some glimpses of what is to come:

This last one is a Chinese emperor's throne and paravent from the 17. century. O:

erbse, Titan Man, KlausDiggy, Neungz liked this post

Last edited by Tiaren; December 28th, 2015 at 06:50 PM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2015, 06:51 PM   #1642
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Whalen 7 View Post
I agree with "Suburbanist." If there had not been a practical use for the building in the twenty-first century, the Stadtschloss would most likely never have been rebuilt. As he points out: The building by itself was hardly the only reason that the place is being rebuilt. As we watch the reconstruction progress we need to remember that.

Frankly some of you act like they ought to have chamber pots rather than restrooms in the new building in order to be "authentic."

Frankly, the palace would've never gotten rebuilt if the society for its reconstruction demanded it to be only a palace museum. They've found a new purpose for it which is good enough for the moment. It will be a giant expansion of the Museum Island and it will help with bringing new tourists to the city.

About authenticity, I don't think the building itself is less authentic just because of those modifications. The reconstructed part of the former palace is authentic as it can be (facade) and the other parts (interior, facade facing Spree) are not reconstructions and weren't intended to be, so one can't talk about whole building being inauthentic or authentic. It would be inauthentic for me if they've added new ornaments, not envisioned by the architect of the building, on the baroque facade or if they've made an enlargement of the building in baroque style.

Also, how many artifacts will the building be able to hold, since it's quite huge?
Old December 28th, 2015, 07:07 PM   #1643
Tiaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Also, how many artifacts will the building be able to hold, since it's quite huge?
I don't know exactly, but more than before. Parts of the first and the complete second and third floor will be reserved for the ethnological collections.

Titan Man, erbse, KlausDiggy liked this post
Old January 2nd, 2016, 03:12 AM   #1644
robertwood

Likes (Received): 273

For those who worry about the re-creation of the Berlin Palace I would tell them to look to the Fraunkirche in Dresden. For all practical purposes it is a new building and people line up to see it. I have seen it and it is beautiful. The Berlin Palace will be the same and all the angst will have been for nothing.

erbse, Fudgis liked this post

Last edited by robertwood; January 2nd, 2016 at 03:15 AM. Reason: didnt finish but hit button in error
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 12:55 AM   #1645
Tiaren

New short documentary about the sculptural work on the City Palace.

Completely in German, but lot's of interesting video material.

erbse, hp7960, Ludi, Union.SLO, robertwood and 1 others liked this post
Old January 3rd, 2016, 06:55 PM   #1646
albanyjd

Likes (Received): 5

It looks like construction predictions for the end of 2015 was not entirely met but came very close! Congratulations to all. Does anyone know what the expectations are for the end of 2016?
albanyjd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 05:14 AM   #1647
durden5573

Likes (Received): 114

Sorry for the off topic post, but I had to plug my favourite schloss the Schweriner Schloss - I toured this in the early 90s and it was in total disrepair, seeing pictures like this bring a tear to my eye about what is possible with other lost gems:

Old January 6th, 2016, 04:50 PM   #1648
Joe Whalen 7

Likes (Received): 128

The Schweriner Schloss

It should also be noted that the Schweriner Schloss is another example of "adaptive reuse." It is my understanding that it is now the seat of government for the German state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.
Joe Whalen 7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 05:18 PM   #1649
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57989

Indeed that's the regional parliament of my home state MV. And dare I say, I for one think it's the most beautiful parliament in the world (UK, Hungary etc. have qualities of their own, but can't quite compare to such a picturesque palace).

And what makes it even better... It's at the center of 7 large lakes surrounding the lovely old town of Schwerin. Fairy-talish to the max.

Schwerin Mecklenburg by Seeadler 1, auf Flickr

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F..._Insel_See.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F..._BUGA_2009.jpg

Coming to think of it, it's incredible what was lost in WW2 and afterwards in Germany, or due to other wars, stupidities or just neglect. At the same time, we should be very happy gems like Schwerin Palace survived in almost their full splendour. And that today we're able to bring crown jewels like Berlin's Palace back, step by step. Slowly but surely!

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 10:14 AM   #1650
Steinar37

Likes (Received): 27

Schwerin Palace: what a beauty. Thank god it survived.

But: whats going on at the City Palace? it looks like nothing much.. are the workers still on vacation?
Steinar37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 01:59 PM   #1651
Tiaren

Yes, they just had vacation, also it's pretty cold and there lies a cover of snow. Not the best premise for masonry work.
Old January 7th, 2016, 03:15 PM   #1652
Joe Whalen 7

Likes (Received): 128

Masonry Work

I don't know what the custom is in Germany, but in America it has to be above freezing with rising temperatures in the forcast for construction projects to undertake work with cement. Otherwise, when the wet cement freezes it cracks and has to be chipped out and redone.
Joe Whalen 7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 04:08 PM   #1653
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57989

It's the same here. There are technical devices to allow for cement works in freezing conditions, but they are barely used due to the costs and remaining risks. In earlier times, construction was even halted sometimes for half a year or longer, to guarantee it all sets and hardens accurately. In traditional construction of alpine houses for instance, this is still done - you'll see a wooden shell or bare brickwork for two seasons and only then they'll continue construction works. It helps to create buildings meant to last.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 11:13 PM   #1654
Chris_57

Likes (Received): 2

Useful forum?

Hi guys,

is anyone familiar with a forum in German which also discusses the reconstruction of the palace ? I remember stumbling upon it a few weeks ago and found it useful for images and information.. it's updated very often but is separate from skyscrapercity.

Anyone recognize the website ?

Thanks,

Chris.
Chris_57 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 11:24 PM   #1655
Bavarian Angelshark
Modernism sucks

Likes (Received): 1434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_57 View Post
Hi guys,

is anyone familiar with a forum in German which also discusses the reconstruction of the palace ? I remember stumbling upon it a few weeks ago and found it useful for images and information.. it's updated very often but is separate from skyscrapercity.

Anyone recognize the website ?

Thanks,

Chris.
http://www.stadtbild-deutschland.org...=2597&pageNo=1

http://www.deutsches-architektur-for...ad.php?t=11187

Bavarian Angelshark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 03:57 PM   #1656
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Likes (Received): 34650

Or just take the german SSC-Thread for "ze Stadtschloss".

soweit nicht anders angegeben außerhalb von den Skybars.

Berlin Projects
Ludi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 03:35 PM   #1657
JustinHerman

Likes (Received): 169

http://cam03.berlinerschloss-webcam.de/

For the time being.
JustinHerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 10:34 PM   #1658
Tiaren

In the extreme cold the City Palace and it's facade is growing slowly, but growing nontheless:

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
Old January 14th, 2016, 10:54 PM   #1659
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 722

Wooow, what a progress, I thought the facade will grow much slower than that. It seems to me that the exterior could be finished in a year or so.

P.S. Is that a Christmas tree on top of the dome?
Old January 14th, 2016, 11:16 PM   #1660
ChinaBRICS
BANNED

Likes (Received): 496

No, it's Superman!
ChinaBRICS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
baroque fassade, berlin, construction field, heart of the city, humboldt lab dahlem, lustgarten, museum island, prussia, reconstruction, stadtschloss, stella