daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 15th, 2016, 12:16 AM   #1661
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Is that a Christmas tree on top of the dome?
Ja, it is! They sure have loads of fun at this construction site, we've seen the Christmas tree on top of the cupola, 'robots', various funny or fan-motivated banners, strange worker outfits, ...

Once more for its beauty: The facade projections during Berlin Festival Of Lights!

Festival Of Lights: Berliner Stadtschloss by Michael Krolop, auf Flickr

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Titan Man, JustinHerman, cilindr0 liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2016, 12:16 AM   #1662
JustinHerman

Likes (Received): 196

Titan Man: In the event your question was not asked with tongue in cheek, lashing a tree to the uppermost part of a new building is part the topping out ceremony that originated centuries ago in Scandinavia. The tree or branch was originally supposed to ward off evil spirits. Over time, the tradition migrated across northern Europe and then to the Americas. The custom is alive and well today though, with almost nobody believing in evil spirits anymore, is largely symbolic.

Titan Man liked this post
JustinHerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 08:30 PM   #1663
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Likes (Received): 34809

some pics made today.

soweit nicht anders angegeben außerhalb von den Skybars.

Berlin Projects

Titan Man, hp7960, almin96, Fudgis, albanyjd and 9 others liked this post
Ludi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 12:20 AM   #1664
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Likes (Received): 34809

©eldaco

soweit nicht anders angegeben außerhalb von den Skybars.

Berlin Projects
Ludi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 12:40 AM   #1665
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 793

Illumination seems almost perfect and it shows all the aspects of the building at its best, but I'm not very sure about the dome, it seems slightly kitschy, or at least "overloaded".

ILOVENY liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 01:32 AM   #1666
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Illumination seems almost perfect and it shows all the aspects of the building at its best, but I'm not very sure about the dome, it seems slightly kitschy, or at least "overloaded".
That dome is just as "overloaded" as it needs to be. It looks great!

As far as the amount of stars visible in the sky, I call BULLSHIT!!!!

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

0095914 liked this post
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 02:05 AM   #1667
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
That dome is just as "overloaded" as it needs to be. It looks great!

As far as the amount of stars visible in the sky, I call BULLSHIT!!!!
I meant as overloaded with light, the illumination of the dome should be slightly toned down, IMHO.
Old January 26th, 2016, 10:24 AM   #1668
WR HEARST
BANNED

whatever they do on that building,it will never ever have any soul nor charm.
I had the same feeling when i visited the Freuenkirche (rebuilt in 2008)in beautiful Dresden.Fake old just doesn't match.
WR HEARST no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 11:26 AM   #1669
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7572

So why "beautiful Dresden" then? Almost all buildings in the old town are reconstructions of completely or heavy destroyed originals. Semperoper, Zwinger, Residenzschloss - I could go on.

erbse, WR HEARST, ILOVENY, CF221, Titan Man and 4 others liked this post
Saxonia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 01:30 PM   #1670
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59501

Indeed. Just give the Frauenkirche and its surrounding Neumarkt some years to gain patina and really "arrive" in the heart of the city. Just like reconstructed Semperoper and Zwinger did.

Berlin's City Palace exterior will definitely add soul to the area. Much more so than the horrid "Palace" of the Republic ever could.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 04:23 PM   #1671
WR HEARST
BANNED

wow!..my bad!..you are probably right as i was very impressed by Semperoper and Zwinger.
I will never get tired to say how beautiful german architecture is,Munchen being my favorite city..
WR HEARST no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 04:51 PM   #1672
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

IMO, the problem people have today with reconstructions is that they KNOW it's a reconstruction, they see all its flaws and address it to reconstruction process, so they can't look at it in the same way as they would if it was still the original building. I bet if you bring someone who doesn't know Frauenkirche was destroyed and rebuilt, they probably would experience its charm and beauty without problem, just like WR HEARST did with other rebuilt buildings in Dresden. And as erbse said, it needs to gain patina and it will be all fine, just like Warsaw's Old Town, Semperoper or Zwinger.

CF221, erbse, Fudgis, The Eagle, robertwood liked this post
Old January 27th, 2016, 05:51 AM   #1673
JustinHerman

I agree with Erbse. The original palace, like the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, was once new and pristine. Over decades and centuries both aged like fine wine, developing a patina and character that endeared them to millions. This reconstructed palace, with the natural materials used in its exterior, too, will age gracefully.

In contrast, modern steel and glass boxes, such as the FH University building in central Potsdam, cannot develop the character that comes with graceful aging. They are like modern pasteurized wine that wouldn't throw a sediment in a hundred years. With their man-made materials, such buildings rely on pristineness for impact. Left to time and the elements, they quickly become seedy and decrepit eyesores.
Old January 27th, 2016, 06:03 PM   #1674
Joe Whalen 7

Likes (Received): 131

Consistency Would Be Great

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I think that it's best when all of the buildings in a historic area retain the same look and feel of the original, even if they are reconstructions or something new is being added. I really hate it when they throw up something modern in a baroque or classical neighborhood and act like it's not going to stick out like a sore thumb. If I had been making the decision, I would have made the fourth side of the Stadtschloss have the same baroque look as the other three sides, even though that was not original to the site. Then I would have used only modern architecture on the interior rather than mixing baroque and modern. As it is, it looks weird to me when you have three walls in baroque style and one in modern. Just my opinion.

Chadoh25 liked this post
Joe Whalen 7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 06:40 PM   #1675
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

While I generally agree with you that modern buildings usually don't correspond well with the surrounding historical buildings, in this case I would do the exterior exactly like it was before the palace was demolished. Just because the fourth part of the building wasn't "pretty" and coherent with the new, baroque part, doesn't mean it had smaller historical significance. Erasing history only because someone doesn't like it is not a good thing to do (although in this case it has already been erased ). Also, it looks like it hadn't too many ornaments so I think it would be a lot cheaper to build than a new baroque side.
Old February 4th, 2016, 06:45 PM   #1676
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5613

German royalty visiting the palace construction site, where once their ancestral home stood and will stand soon again.

The bloke in the middle is His Imperial and Royal Highness Georg Friedrich Ferdinand Prince of Prussia. If monarchy would resume in Germany he would be first in line to the throne.

Old February 4th, 2016, 10:45 PM   #1677
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

It would be funny if they demanded the palace back once it's finished...
Old February 5th, 2016, 05:54 PM   #1678
Joe Whalen 7

Likes (Received): 131

Der Kaiser

I think that you mean that Prince Karl Friedrich would be the "Kaiser," if monarchy were to be restored in Germany. He succeeded to the position as head of the house of Hohenzollern in 1994 when his grandfather died due to the unfortunate accidental death of his own father in 1977.

keepthepast liked this post
Joe Whalen 7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 07:22 PM   #1679
Opulentus

Likes (Received): 617

It would be very good if Germany's monarchy were to be restored. There needs to be more cause for patriotism, which monarchy promotes, especially in this time where both Germany and Europe as a whole face so many dangers.

bribri liked this post
Opulentus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 09:07 PM   #1680
JustinHerman

I hesitate to touch this one. When I was a child, my elderly German and Russian relatives, who remembered life under Kaiser and Tsar, and who lived through violent revolution in both countries, kept a tight lid on the subject. Though they would reminisce about their day-to-day lives in a world that had vanished, seemingly forever, they carefully avoided expressing political views one way or another about the monarchical systems under which they lived because it was such an explosive and divisive topic, especially between the older and younger generations. I think there was also an element of fear; they'd been traumatized by war, revolution, and civil war followed by collapsed economies, rampant inflation, and starvation. It was lingering trauma compounded by a deep fear of Communist and Nazi regimes.

How different the world is since then! Nowadays, that older generation is gone, communism is virtually dead, Germany is reunited, and there's talk about reviving monarchy both in Germany and Russia. (There's even a Monarchist Party in the Russian Duma - who could have imagined such a thing even a few short years ago?) Hohenzollerns are visiting an ancestral palace being rebuilt in Berlin and Romanovs are visiting palaces and attending state funerals in St. Petersburg. But monarchy is still a divisive issue. Personally, I would love to see a restoration of monarchy in Germany and Russia, but it is a decision that must be left wholly to the citizens of those two countries, and nobody else.

Meantime, it is awesome to see the brick- and stonework proceeding at Berliner Stadtschloss in winter!

bribri liked this post

Last edited by JustinHerman; February 6th, 2016 at 12:26 AM.
JustinHerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
baroque fassade, berlin, construction field, heart of the city, humboldt lab dahlem, lustgarten, museum island, prussia, reconstruction, stadtschloss, stella