daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 24th, 2016, 03:07 AM   #1781
robertwood

Likes (Received): 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescarf View Post
That is spectacular. Maybe a full restoration of the k. Wilhelm monument would work in front of the Berlin stadtschloss. though surely many people who would think it inappropriate, which would be a shame as ultimately it should be a symbol of unity...?
I think the substantive shape and form of the Kaiser Wilhelm should be restored but perhaps the bronze statuary can be changed to a unity theme if that would help gain support for restoration.
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2016, 11:46 AM   #1782
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Today the Palast der Republik (Palace of the Republic) would have had his 40th anniversary if it wouldn't have been demolished to swap places again with the reconstruction of the original Stadtschloss (City Palace). Here is an interesting video report:

http://www.rbb-online.de/abendschau/...30/palast.html

It's in German but there's some interesting video footage.

ThatOneGuy, erbse, PapaleuPaes, Titan Man liked this post
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2016, 03:00 AM   #1783
robertwood

Once again Tiaren provides good information for the rest of us. All hail Tiaren!
Old April 26th, 2016, 08:26 PM   #1784
Tiaren

Oh, stop it!

Titan Man, White Light, robertwood liked this post
Old April 26th, 2016, 09:22 PM   #1785
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudicantfail View Post
It was a terrible design, truly terrible. Rebuild the Kaiser monument yes, but NOT this modern rubbish.
Although I prefer most "traditional" architecture to a lot of modern designs I don't find this at all ugly but certainly agree it's location is not suitable as it would draw attention away from the beautiful facade of the rebuilt Palace.
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2016, 06:17 PM   #1786
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Likes (Received): 34647

60/65 years ago -1. Mai

soweit nicht anders angegeben außerhalb von den Skybars.

Berlin Projects

Titan Man, Chadoh25 liked this post
Ludi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2016, 06:40 PM   #1787
Tiaren

Wow, the city in the background looks so depressing.
Old May 1st, 2016, 07:39 PM   #1788
JustinHerman

Likes (Received): 169

Everything about these photos is depressing: the skeletonized building in the background, the claptrap grandstand where a splendid palace once stood, the ugly banners and "float," etc, etc.. I assume the performance is supposed to be a festive one, yet nobody's smiling. The whole thing looks forced. And the black & white color only heightens the dreary mood. Such a far cry from the bustling nature this place has taken on nowadays.

Eduarqui, Simfan34 liked this post
JustinHerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2016, 11:24 PM   #1789
Tiaren

By the way, you can now also follow the north facade of the Palace on the webcam:

http://cam02.berlinerschloss-webcam.de/

erbse liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2016, 01:44 AM   #1790
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
The trees in Breite Straße are actually plane trees (Platanen). Their fruit looks indeed very similar to the American sweet gum.
Sweet gum is by the way no stranger to maritime climate zones of Western Europe (UK, Germany, France, BeNeLux...) where it is planted as an ornamental plant since the 17th century.
I think the species is actually more directly related to the Sycamore in physical appearance and fruit.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2016, 01:57 AM   #1791
keepthepast

Now that contemporary historians are re-analyzing WWI and the causes and effects, the former German monarchy is being viewed in a more fair, less hostile light. This is a perfect time to demonstrate and reflect the pre 1918 history and a reconstruction of the Wilhelm I monument will blend nicely with the purpose/spirit of the Humboldt Forum.

robertwood liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2016, 10:25 AM   #1792
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57875

No chance. Wilhelm I didn't achieve shite for Germany, he wasn't even very popular at the time nor later. I'd much rather have a Bismarck memorial there instead The larger one of Berlin at the Victory Column is far out of sight.

The colonnades of the former memorial are likely to be reconstructed one day anyway, the German SSC section already started petitions btw.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

JustinHerman, robertwood liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2016, 04:02 PM   #1793
keepthepast

Well, he was Kaiser when Germany was created and allowed Bismarck to manage the process, which was a good thing.

Nonetheless, he should have abdicated when he actually wanted to in 1862, but sadly his son Fritz talked him out of it. History would have been MUCH different had Fritz been King and Kaiser during that period. Why not a statue of Kaiser Friedrich?
Old May 4th, 2016, 02:07 AM   #1794
robertwood

The colonnades of the former memorial are likely to be reconstructed one day anyway, the German SSC section already started petitions btw.[/QUOTE]

I hope you are right!
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 07:00 PM   #1795
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
No chance. Wilhelm I didn't achieve shite for Germany, he wasn't even very popular at the time nor later. I'd much rather have a Bismarck memorial there instead The larger one of Berlin at the Victory Column is far out of sight.

The colonnades of the former memorial are likely to be reconstructed one day anyway, the German SSC section already started petitions btw.
I'd love to see the colonnade reconstructed and with a huge imposing statue of Germania instead of the Kaiser or Bismarck.

Something like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German...ania_figur.jpg

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

erbse, Chadoh25 liked this post
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 07:08 PM   #1796
Tiaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam King View Post
I'd love to see the colonnade reconstructed and with a huge imposing statue of Germania instead of the Kaiser or Bismarck.

Something like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German...ania_figur.jpg
Lol, that is even less likely than the return of the original statue of Emperor Wilhelm I.
Old May 4th, 2016, 11:31 PM   #1797
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Lol, that is even less likely than the return of the original statue of Emperor Wilhelm I.
Oh, I know. Still, as long as we're listing our wishlist for whatever will be built in front of the Stadtschloss I thought I'd add in what I'd love to see.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 07:37 PM   #1798
Joe Whalen 7

Likes (Received): 128

Nordfassade

Are you sure that they have enough billboards on the "nordfassade?" They are so big that you're not going to see much of the construction work on that side of the building.
Joe Whalen 7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 01:53 AM   #1799
bluescarf

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam King View Post
Oh, I know. Still, as long as we're listing our wishlist for whatever will be built in front of the Stadtschloss I thought I'd add in what I'd love to see.
If we're listing our wishlist...I'd like to see the original structure of the monument but alterations to the statues. I'd call the new monument 'The Children'. Rather than an emperor on a horse, there would be a child on a horse or a child leading a horse. There would be children hitching a lift with the Valkyries (or whoever the women are) in their chariots. Rather than roaring lions, there would lions sleeping or licking their cubs, or cubs walking up and down the steps. Birds, flowers. I think that would look amazing. No militarism. No dodgy history that's always going to upset someone. Just peace, unity and the future.
bluescarf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 01:20 PM   #1800
albanyjd

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Whalen 7 View Post
Are you sure that they have enough billboards on the "nordfassade?" They are so big that you're not going to see much of the construction work on that side of the building.
I agree that the billboards are annoying but I assume the rental income goes to the construction.
albanyjd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
baroque fassade, berlin, construction field, heart of the city, humboldt lab dahlem, lustgarten, museum island, prussia, reconstruction, stadtschloss, stella