daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 2nd, 2016, 03:12 PM   #1921
vankatalaan
H.R.H

Likes (Received): 552

As I had stated before, and following Père Pendiculaire's comment, it's evident that the modern facade is supposed to be in dialog with the Fernsehturm and in retrospective with the Palast der Republik.

I think if you look from that area towards the Humboldt Forum you expect to see a facade like that and not the renaissance pastiche it was before demolition.

storms991 liked this post
vankatalaan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2016, 03:36 PM   #1922
Roman_P

Likes (Received): 1774

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
So they decided to give it a modern, forward-looking design instead of the pastiche of the other 3.
How is it forward-looking? Do you really consider that river facade to be some new word in architecture? They've been making facades exactly like this 50 years ago at least.

Opulentus, TM_Germany, erbse liked this post
Roman_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2016, 06:57 PM   #1923
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Seriously, can you guys stop using "pastiche", that Suburbanist brought in here? The facades are a faithful reconstruction (that is the right term) and not newly designed architecture reminiscent of an older style and in lesser quality. People calling reconstructions derogatory "pastiche" clearly unmask themselves as a bone-headed ignoramus.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 08:48 AM   #1924
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il trovatore View Post
Sensationelles Filmmaterial! Berlin nach der Apokalypse in Farbe und HD - Berlin In July 1945

I wonder, what did the man say at 1:05?

JustinHerman, SEIM liked this post
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2016, 10:34 AM   #1925
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57904

Quote:
Originally Posted by themapguy View Post
Aufnahmen von gestern:

Tourist pics are also welcome here!

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Tiaren, Nando_ros, JustinHerman, AbidM, 8166UY and 5 others liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2016, 10:55 AM   #1926
Tiaren

I wished they wouldn't only post these stamp sized images on the Stadtbild Deutschland Forum or else I would ask much more often if I could share images here, mostly of details like the beautiful ornamentation.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2016, 11:52 AM   #1927
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21044

I think it is fortunate they kept at least one modern façade, it will trigger future unsuspecting visitors to ask why it is that way and then they will be properly made aware they are seeing just a pastiche replica. The modern river side looks cool and enthralling. The best view of the building for sure.
Old August 5th, 2016, 11:57 AM   #1928
erbse
LIBERTINED

Yeah, whatever. Stop trolling this thread with your dogmatic opinionism, thanks.

Old August 5th, 2016, 12:02 PM   #1929
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21044

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Yeah, whatever. Stop trolling this thread with your dogmatic opinionism, thanks.
Me, dogmatic? You are the one who preemptively dismiss modern contemporary architecture altogether

As I said before I like this project for its internal design, it will be a very good structure to put the Dahlem musea collection. Pity 3/4 of the exterior isn't up to par.

Last edited by Suburbanist; August 5th, 2016 at 12:07 PM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2016, 12:39 PM   #1930
Tiaren

Quote:
I think it is fortunate they kept at least one modern façade, it will trigger future unsuspecting visitors to ask why it is that way and then they will be properly made aware they are seeing just a pastiche replica.
Thank God for that! It doesn't bear contemplating if the unsuspecting American or Asian tourist would have been so viciously deceived by this mere copy of a palace. Upon learning the truth at a later point in time, they'd feel utterly betrayed, even violated, having marveled at this treacherous beauty and believing it to be truly ancient.
When I learned Venice's famed Campanile wasn't a renaissance building but an early 20th century copy, I swore to never ever come back to Venice!

You know, no one f***** cares! This might be hard to grasp for you but people like to look at beautiful things. Even at newly created beautiful things as you can clearly see with Dresden's Frauenkirche and Neumarkt. People come from very far especially to see the reconstructions.

TM_Germany, vankatalaan, Fudgis, Titan Man liked this post

Last edited by Tiaren; August 5th, 2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old August 5th, 2016, 12:41 PM   #1931
marshalca

Likes (Received): 16

The riverside part of the building is terrible, ugly, unimaginative, bad design. I don´t know why there are so many identical buildings in berlin. Once that design is not bad, but the same design over and over again is monotonous. Squares and rectangles!

TM_Germany liked this post
marshalca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2016, 12:48 PM   #1932
erbse
LIBERTINED

Quote:
Me, dogmatic? You are the one who preemptively dismiss modern contemporary architecture altogether

As I said before I like this project for its internal design, it will be a very good structure to put the Dahlem musea collection. Pity 3/4 of the exterior isn't up to par.
LOL. You claiming being undogmatic and then giving such a statement is just too hilarious.

I'm always accepting and approving of good modern(ist) architecture where it has its place.

TM_Germany, Titan Man liked this post
Old August 5th, 2016, 03:00 PM   #1933
vankatalaan
H.R.H

Likes (Received): 552

Quote:

The problem is that you're missing the part where the reconstruction of the Palace was to make it look the way it was before and to replace a comunist piece of s**t like the Palast der Republik.

That empty space left by the Berliner Stadtschloss was only for a building like that. And making a whole new building would have been ok, but what about the surroundings?

Now I'm supporting the reconstruction of the Palais des Tuileries :P
vankatalaan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2016, 07:11 PM   #1934
Joe Whalen 7

Likes (Received): 128

New Versus Old

At least the "reconstructions" in Germany are made to look like the original using the original materials. This is also true where there have been repairs and/or restorations from war damage. Italy is where they must have some law that requires that they make the restored part obvious. If you doubt me, go to some of the Roman ruins where they have used brick to fill in for marble or limestone when they don't have or have not not found a section of a column or something. That not only looks strange, it looks just plain tacky.
Joe Whalen 7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2016, 12:03 AM   #1935
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Whalen 7 View Post
At least the "reconstructions" in Germany are made to look like the original using the original materials. This is also true where there have been repairs and/or restorations from war damage. Italy is where they must have some law that requires that they make the restored part obvious. If you doubt me, go to some of the Roman ruins where they have used brick to fill in for marble or limestone when they don't have or have not not found a section of a column or something. That not only looks strange, it looks just plain tacky.
Not always, my friend. Not always.

I have this English TV series that follows a English couple rebuilding a castle in Italy! The Italians there are different. Because of earthquakes they insist on modern stuff that looks old. If you have some time, Watch it. The show is really, really good! Shows the different thinking of people in countries, too.

The show is called Grand designs abroad

https://youtu.be/KoXUOWYojLo

erbse, JustinHerman liked this post
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 09:24 PM   #1936
Tiaren

Alright, time for more detail shots courtesy of Spreetunnel over in Stadtbild Deutschland Forum.

Lion skin ornament above one of the entrances:

The colossal columns are also being erected:

Here we are over at the main entrance of the palace, the 30m high triumphal arch:

These capitals are a high as a man:

Kampflamm, Bosi, TM_Germany, FrancoJR, Cager and 17 others liked this post
Old August 11th, 2016, 04:00 PM   #1937
erbse
LIBERTINED

Amazing stuff, so geil! The more ornaments it gets, the more impressive it becomes.
We can only get the idea of the whole thing once it's completed, but I'm sure it'll be very popular with both tourists and Berliners.

Old August 11th, 2016, 04:16 PM   #1938
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Сталин View Post
I wonder, what did the man say at 1:05?
..He says:"Look at that d...,talking about Staline.
BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2016, 05:12 PM   #1939
krycekuva

Likes (Received): 246

@erbse

i heard the collection that will come to the future museum will be as impressive. can't wait to visit it soon.

Reinhard Rupsch liked this post
krycekuva no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2016, 06:14 PM   #1940
Tiaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by krycekuva View Post
@erbse

i heard the collection that will come to the future museum will be as impressive. can't wait to visit it soon.
Of course! The collection of the Ethnological Museum as well as the Museum of Asian Art are one of the biggest and most important in the world. They were founded by no one less than Alexander von Humboldt who left a big mark in the world. Worldwide many animal species, places, schools and universities are named after him.

krycekuva, The Eagle, FloatingShift liked this post

Last edited by Tiaren; August 11th, 2016 at 06:20 PM.

Tags
baroque fassade, berlin, construction field, heart of the city, humboldt lab dahlem, lustgarten, museum island, prussia, reconstruction, stadtschloss, stella