daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2016, 10:35 PM   #1961
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1287

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
^ And your point being? Literally all architecture is both a copy of something that existed before somewhere else and a combination of local/individual treats.
hmm...sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
So people didn't build "proper buildings" elsewhere? Don't spread such ignorant bullshit.

Do you by chance know what came before baroque architecture and before renaissance architecture? Gothic architecture. It originated in Northern Europe and was very different from Greek and Roman architecture since heathen Greeks, Romans and their architecture and art was hated and feared in the Middle Ages. Later the gothic style spread also to Southern European countries and they, as you would call it, "imitated" that style. I guess after the fall of Rome they had forgotten how to "design proper buildings"?
Last but not least, long before the Greeks and Romans there were the Babylonians and Egyptians (which influenced Greek architecture and art by the way) and already they knew how to "design proper buildings."
Then why don't you use your Gothic architecture, instead? Why use statues of Neptun or others, instead of Thor? I've never seen a statue of Thor in the South European coast. (thankfully)
Because, trust me there is nothing more inappropriate than a statue of the goddess Athena/Minerva placed in Vienna. You should put your Locki, (or whatever) somewhere instead of Minerva, and please don't get mad, I'm only telling you that you should stick to your stuff, some sort of suggestion. (you've said it yourself that you almost have better)
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2016, 11:19 AM   #1962
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58040

Your posts are among the most ridiculous things I've read on SSC. But well, keep on, it's quite entertaining.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Titan Man liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 11:50 AM   #1963
vankatalaan
H.R.H

Likes (Received): 552

Shall we talk about the Duomo of Milano perhaps? One of the most beautiful Gothic and Neogothic cathedrals in Europe and it's in: ITALY.
vankatalaan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 12:49 PM   #1964
pccvspw999

Likes (Received): 1835

Yes, but it's unique. And I'm not sure that northern Italy can be seen as part of southern Europe....
pccvspw999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 01:01 PM   #1965
Architecture lover

Boys and girls, let's don't get off topic, we are commenting the palace and the places where the inspiration came from, obviously from the heathen Romans and Greeks, like Tiaren says himself.
Old August 25th, 2016, 03:50 PM   #1966
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5551

Some more fresh impressions of the City Palace courtesy of Spreetunnel of the Stadtbild Deutschland Forum:

Great work by the artisans and construction workers. They are of course all Italians and Greeks since barbaric Germans are too dumb to read the baroque designs and properly place one stone on the other.

Last edited by Tiaren; August 25th, 2016 at 03:56 PM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 05:05 PM   #1967
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

Wow!!...very comforting to see that we still have the savoir faire to build such a magnificent building(and I was pretty skeptical at first!)
However,it makes me sad that some are preaching an architecture revisionism(germanophobia?)
I did fall in love with architecture as a kid,visiting Potsdam Palaces with my parents;I was in amazing Munchen couple months ago and plan to travel on the Romantic Road very soon...Well,call me a dumb as I always thought German were among the greatest builders/artists!...

Titan Man, PapaleuPaes liked this post

Last edited by BLACK DAHLIA; August 25th, 2016 at 05:15 PM.
BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 06:37 AM   #1968
mantamad

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DAHLIA View Post
Wow!!...very comforting to see that we still have the savoir faire to build such a magnificent building(and I was pretty skeptical at first!)
However,it makes me sad that some are preaching an architecture revisionism(germanophobia?)
I did fall in love with architecture as a kid,visiting Potsdam Palaces with my parents;I was in amazing Munchen couple months ago and plan to travel on the Romantic Road very soon...Well,call me a dumb as I always thought German were among the greatest builders/artists!...
I agree. If the cost of building something with flair is not excessively greater than building yet another glass box, then that is money well spent.

erbse, TM_Germany, JustinHerman, The Eagle liked this post
mantamad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 02:47 PM   #1969
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

And in the long run, cheaper...after everyone realizes the error in building a glass box and then decide to tear it down and start over.

erbse, TM_Germany, The Eagle, ReNaHtEiM liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 03:12 PM   #1970
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post

And in the long run, cheaper...after everyone realizes the error in building a glass box and then decide to tear it down and start over.

What's wrong with glass boxes?..isn't the NeueNationalGallery one?
Classic architecture vs modern/post modern architecture doesn't make sens.
When I stay in Berlin I enjoy Potsdamer Platz and its world renowned signatures(Jahn,Piano,Rogers,Gehry..)as much as Berlin Mitte and its amazing Museumsinsel!
Old August 26th, 2016, 03:27 PM   #1971
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 722

Quote:
What's wrong with glass boxes?..isn't the NeueNationalGallery one?
Classic architecture vs modern/post modern architecture doesn't make sens.
When I stay in Berlin I enjoy Potsdamer Platz and its world renowned signatures(Jahn,Piano,Rogers,Gehry..)as much as Berlin Mitte and its amazing Museumsinsel!
Not all modern buildings are bad, especially buildings of Potsdamer Platz (one of my favourite European squares), but the modern wing of the Palace is definitely not worthy of its neighbour wings. It's just bland and uninspired. One can just look at the photos from the construction site, unfinished baroque facade looks way better than almost finished modern wing.

Spam King, TM_Germany liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 03:49 PM   #1972
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

...it's all about integrity of the building:would you wear Nike shoes with your Boss suit?..
Old August 26th, 2016, 04:02 PM   #1973
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 722

Well, that's why I don't like it very much, it doesn't integrate very well with the rest of the building. It looks like it was added on later. They could've made it much, much better, something that blends well with the rest of the building, but also looks contemporary and modern. Oh well, at least we didn't get some crazy Libeskind-esque "masterpiece".

BLACK DAHLIA liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 04:39 PM   #1974
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Oh well, at least we didn't get some crazy Libeskind-esque "masterpiece".
Or a Frank Gehry monstrosity tacked on...

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 04:40 PM   #1975
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 561

Quote:
...it's all about integrity of the building:would you wear Nike shoes with your Boss suit?..
People actually do that.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 04:58 PM   #1976
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam King View Post
Or a Frank Gehry monstrosity tacked on...

Sorry King of Spam,but Gehry is,according to many,the greatest architect alive!
However,being tasteless is not considered as a crime...unless your hero,if elected,hires you as his devoted Goebbels!..
Old August 26th, 2016, 07:12 PM   #1977
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Conversations like these are why I try to avoid this thread
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 07:18 PM   #1978
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Conversations like these are why I try to avoid this thread

I remember a time when all the forumers had to suffer your teammates heavy jokes(LAF2 being your leader)
You probably feel lonesome today!..
Old August 26th, 2016, 07:54 PM   #1979
Architecture lover

The overall thread is such a mess, every time someone writes something that doesn't prize this apparently 'colossal' thing, attacks come from every side from people who think that Gothic is the epitome of how you think churches and cathedrals should be build, but sadly newer heard of Byzantine architecture, and when I say Byzantine I don't think some tasteless Russian, or Bulgarian perception of the Byzantine style, but rather the original genuine terracotta marvels.
Old August 26th, 2016, 09:20 PM   #1980
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture lover View Post
The overall thread is such a mess, every time someone writes something that doesn't prize this apparently 'colossal' thing, attacks come from every side from people who think that Gothic is the epitome of how you think churches and cathedrals should be build, but sadly newer heard of Byzantine architecture, and when I say Byzantine I don't think some tasteless Russian, or Bulgarian perception of the Byzantine style, but rather the original genuine terracotta marvels.
Wow, you got some nerve... You are the one that f***** up this thread. You came in here attacking Northern Europeans for not being able to build "proper buildings", now you attack Eastern Europeans. Seriously, just get out of here, ASAP.

Some more detail photos of the triumphal gate courtesy of Spreetunnel again:

Titan Man, TM_Germany, cilindr0, Chadoh25 liked this post
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
baroque fassade, berlin, construction field, heart of the city, humboldt lab dahlem, lustgarten, museum island, prussia, reconstruction, stadtschloss, stella