daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 17th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #81
MR. Bacon
Registered User
 
MR. Bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Den Haag
Posts: 1,163
Likes (Received): 214

Ok thanks now I understand your post!
The stereotypes are there because of a reason, but it is not as black and white (sorry Dutch saying) as you say. They are building well planned projects in Holland inspired by the "chaos" in Belgium, lol!
I also like order in my house and some in the city, but I don't want to live in the new build neighborhoods in Holland. To much order for me I think you are talking about the difference between city people and country people..

I don’t understand why the Dutch forum members chose Luik as ugliest city in the world? That’s crazy! In my opinion Almere beats Luik in this competition.. I like the old, new, ugly, beautiful and industrial look of this city
MR. Bacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #82
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA
 
Kampflamm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Broisn
Posts: 23,690

Further evidence, that Liège ain't all that bad:

image hosted on flickr

Temple Antoiniste Liège

image hosted on flickr

Liège

image hosted on flickr

Liège-Guillemins

To be honest, if the Ruhr valley industrial cities looked half as good as Liège, I'd be ecstatic.
__________________
Free German passport

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Last edited by Kampflamm; June 17th, 2011 at 09:14 PM.
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #83
Wapper
Moderator
 
Wapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Antwerp(en)
Posts: 2,177
Likes (Received): 6633

I think the towns in the Ruhr area are great, but really different from Liège. Maybe you're just accustomed to this area and you think it's nothing special.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchek View Post
It's Longdoz. I live there for almost 2 years... Liege is one of the very few authentically urban cities of Belgium, with Antwerp.
Why don't you include Brussels? I think Brussels is very urban.
Wapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #84
redstone
Lurker
 
redstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Singapore
Posts: 14,056
Likes (Received): 52


Calatrava?
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #85
joshsam
JR
 
joshsam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sint-Truiden
Posts: 7,165
Likes (Received): 5408

Yes
__________________
Ceci n'est pas un pays, een bananenrepubliek ja!
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #86
Benonie
Bike It!
 
Benonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 21,086
Likes (Received): 19864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapper View Post
Why don't you include Brussels? I think Brussels is very urban.
Tcheck meant authentically urban cities. Of course Brussels is urban (very!) and I agree, the city is authentic too. And Ghent is according to Lonely Planet one of the most authentic cities in Europe...

Maybe Belgium has got only authenticly urban cities!
Benonie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #87
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA
 
Kampflamm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Broisn
Posts: 23,690

The question also is what you define as "urban". I'd say most bigger cities are relatively urban (culture, transportation etc).
__________________
Free German passport

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #88
thib8500
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,876
Likes (Received): 770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchek View Post
I noticed that about Liege, the Dutch usually find it horrible while the French quite like it (there are a lots of French residents in Liege).

The reason for this is that I think the Dutch don't "get" Liege.
Liege will never be the tidy, clean and bourgeois (and boring) city that the Dutch are so fond of; it is a completely different kind of city: gritty, lively, popular... a kind totally absent anywhere in the Netherlands.

If you go to Liege with a "Dutch" mindset, you'd expect a city to be tidy and clean and you see a noisy, unruly, "well worn" city instead; then it's easy to write off Liege; but it's *NOT* what it's meant to be.
It's like going to London and expecting a clean, safe, bourgeois place.

The French in the other hand, appreciate Liege. They precisely seek in Liege what actually is lacking more and more in French cities where Middle class quarters became too expensive and the working-class hoods went ghetto; Liege kept a popular and lively atmosphere that's why there are many French around, because they typically hate the tidy bourgeois places that the Dutch love.
I used to live in Liège and the only french there were were students (you just have to pay ton enter a paramedical cursus in Wallonia whereas in France, there are selections because studies are free). As soon as they are graduate, they go back to France, probably fed up with this dirty city.
thib8500 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #89
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA
 
Kampflamm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Broisn
Posts: 23,690

image hosted on flickr

Liège

image hosted on flickr

Liège
__________________
Free German passport

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #90
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA
 
Kampflamm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Broisn
Posts: 23,690

Nice old pic of St. Lambert Square:

image hosted on flickr

[St. Lambert Place, Liège, Belgium] (LOC) von The Library of Congress auf Flickr
__________________
Free German passport

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #91
Thermo
Registered User
 
Thermo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Antwerp
Posts: 4,751
Likes (Received): 4192

Kampflamm, any plans to visit Antwerp on a sunny day? Would love so see your take on the city.
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #92
Tchek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 429
Likes (Received): 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by thib8500 View Post
I used to live in Liège and the only french there were were students (you just have to pay ton enter a paramedical cursus in Wallonia whereas in France, there are selections because studies are free). As soon as they are graduate, they go back to France, probably fed up with this dirty city.
Many go back home to work in France or because of their family, you just "assume" they go back because they are fed up with "this dirty city". It's not like French cities are much cleaner (ever been to Marseille?). I live in Liege and in my street alone I don't count anymore the French licence plates everywhere, and most of them are not students (unless students drive peugeot 406 or big familiy cars)

Similarly I have (belgian) friends who live in France, and ALL of them are *dying* to go back to Liege.
Tchek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #93
thib8500
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,876
Likes (Received): 770

And you assume that french cities are dirty just because Marseille is. Did I say that Belgian cities are dirty ?
You like your city, that's a right. But you must accept that many people don't.

That's what makes me crazy. People in Liège think the dirtyness of their city is what makes it lovely. It does not ! I'm not really keen on cities where peole can urinate on the cathedral wall or everywhere in the streets (don't say it's not true, you know it is), where you can find french fries on pavements every 2 meters, where you can play football with beer cans everywhere since you find them everywhere.
thib8500 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #94
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA
 
Kampflamm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Broisn
Posts: 23,690

image hosted on flickr

Liège

image hosted on flickr

Liège
__________________
Free German passport

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #95
Wapper
Moderator
 
Wapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Antwerp(en)
Posts: 2,177
Likes (Received): 6633

No offensive Thib, but I also have the impression that a lot of french towns have some dirty quarters. I don't really care, but I think it is not correct to deny it.
Wapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 10:53 PM   #96
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA
 
Kampflamm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Broisn
Posts: 23,690

image hosted on flickr

Liège-Guillemins

image hosted on flickr

Liège-Guillemins
__________________
Free German passport

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #97
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA
 
Kampflamm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Broisn
Posts: 23,690

BTW, are all the pics showing? Someone on the German forum said that some of them are down.
__________________
Free German passport

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #98
joshsam
JR
 
joshsam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sint-Truiden
Posts: 7,165
Likes (Received): 5408

They are showing Great pics again!
__________________
Ceci n'est pas un pays, een bananenrepubliek ja!
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #99
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA
 
Kampflamm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Broisn
Posts: 23,690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo View Post
Kampflamm, any plans to visit Antwerp on a sunny day? Would love so see your take on the city.
If the weather's right I may try to visit Antwerp and Gent at some point this summer.

image hosted on flickr

Liège-Guillemins

image hosted on flickr

Liège
__________________
Free German passport

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #100
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA
 
Kampflamm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Broisn
Posts: 23,690

image hosted on flickr

Liège

image hosted on flickr

Liège Pont de Fragnée

image hosted on flickr

Liège
__________________
Free German passport

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
belgië, belgique, belgium, liège, luik, wallonia

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium