daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #1
hauntedheadnc
...wolf in cheap clothing

Likes (Received): 107

An inconsequential village of 2,500 people in the United States.

Welcome to Sylva, North Carolina, a pretty little town about an hour west of Asheville. It's a bustling little burg of about 2,500 people, seat of Jackson County, and despite its name and its former status as a center for paper manufacturing and forest products processing, it was not named for the forests that surround it. Rather, it was named for an early Danish settler -- or so the story goes. There's some dispute.

Sylva, the metropolitan hub of Jackson County, adjoins the community of Cullowhee, which is home to the 10,000+ student Western Carolina University. However, Sylva doesn't have much of a college-town vibe and Cullowhee is too rural and spread-out to even bother with that. It's a pleasant little place though, boasting one of the best bookstores in the state, and a nice little downtown scene.

Anyway, back in May my boyfriend and I spent a misty morning in Sylva and lived to tell the tale. Here is the photographic evidence.

This was the first thing I saw when my boyfriend dropped me off. When you step out of a car and are greeted by anime in a coffee shop window, this is a good sign. Make note of that, all of you who are curious as to how to read a town.

The big landmark in downtown Sylva is the former Jackson County Courthouse, which was just recently renovated into a large and very impressive public library. The courthouse looms over downtown from the top of a steep hill. I once attended the 4th of July celebration in downtown Sylva, and was treated to an delightful fireworks display that involved shooting rockets off from the bottom of the courthouse steps all the way to the top.

The view from the bottom of the steps, looking down Main Street.

Turn around and you're greeted by this view. Work on the library was still ongoing when I visited, so the stairs were blocked off.

The Confederate monument.

I figured that was as close as I could get and wandered off.

Here's the bookstore.

Locally-owned department store. I gathered from my study of the wares in the windows, that Peebles is up-to-date on all the latest urban douche styles. Thus, the teens and young adults of teensy little Sylva can look every inch the douche that teens and young adults do in the biggest cities in America. God bless 'em.

This is not your grandfather's Mayberry.

A lot of the signage in downtown Sylva was very creative.

No comment.

This was in a nice little park on Main Street.

Environmentalism is not the exclusive province of big-city urbanites.

Some jokes write themselves.

Scotts Creek flows through downtown Sylva.

This mill is within walking distance of downtown. It was once a paper mill but is now the biggest paper recycling facility in the state.

Here's a pretty good view of that courthouse.

There's a nice new park on the creek adjacent to downtown.

CSI: Sylva. Interestingly enough, even though that was what crossed my mind -- sarcastically of course -- when I saw the outline, the day after my boyfriend and I visited there was a double murder in Sylva.

I was rather surprised by the number of Asian restaurants in Sylva.

Irrelevant anecdote: My Korean-American roommate often laments that he sees so few Asians whenever we're out and about. His girlfriend and I have concluded though that they hide when they see him and only come out afterward, because we see them by the dozen when we're out and he's off doing whatever the hell he does at work. Once, in fact, we had left him to his own devices and went out to eat, and as we were entering the restaurant, an entire busload of Asian tourists was exiting. He's beginning to think it's a conspiracy.

Remember how I thought I couldn't get any closer to the construction site at the old courthouse? I was wrong... There was a back way that involved hiking up the other side of the hill. I'd heard the view of downtown from up there was quite the sight to see, and so off I went.

This was the best view I could get of downtown from up there. I got screamed at in Spanish by a construction worker in the bargain, so you'd damn well better appreciate it.

Of course the sun had finally come out and everything looked nice and cheerful.

I'd gotten a picture of this church when it was still overcast and it came out looking quite menacing. I felt I had no choice but retake the picture when things looked a bit perkier.

To close, here are a couple of shots of Sylva through a window screen in that bookstore I mentioned earlier. Fantastic and eclectic selection. If ever you find yourself in Sylva then I can't recommend it enough.

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #2
Filandon

Likes (Received): 1250

Liked it, you can really feel the atmosphere of this part of the rural America in your pictures, the surrounding hills are also very beatiful. Would like some picks from the inhabitants dough.

Thanks for sharing
Filandon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #3
jbkayaker12
BANNED

Likes (Received): 39

Interesting town and I like the green surroundings.
jbkayaker12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 11:58 AM   #4
hauntedheadnc

Thanks for your replies, guys. I appreciate you taking the time to look around.
Old June 5th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #5
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244600

Looking a very nice town, thanks for those photos
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #6
Helmet222

Likes (Received): 2

Lovely town!
Helmet222 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #7
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Likes (Received): 2467

Loved it , until the sun came out I do not like the sun .... Mist all the way

A double murder in a town of 2500 ? wow !
Old June 5th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #8
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12280

I had no idea this town existed, so it was fun having a voyeuristic peek around!
Old June 5th, 2011, 05:05 PM   #9
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

My only impression of Sylva was when I stopped at the Hardee's there and the roast beef was so rotten it was green. If I ever get hungry in Sylva again, perhaps I'll try an Asian restaurant downtown.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #10
hauntedheadnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai_Boy View Post
Loved it , until the sun came out I do not like the sun .... Mist all the way

A double murder in a town of 2500 ? wow !
Yeah, a double murder... and the killings had such a mundane motive that they could have happened in a town of 250 as easily as in a city of 2.5 million. According to the news, a guy got mad that his ex-girlfriend had found a new love, went over to her place, and killed her and the new boyfriend. Thankfully, he didn't go after her child, who was found unharmed in the back bedroom.

Meanwhile, for comparison, over here in the much larger community of Asheville (population 83,000 and then some) our big attention-grabbing murder lately was a four-year-old boy who was beaten to death by his mother's new boyfriend. What makes it noteworthy is that the boy's corpse was covered with bite marks, and that, friends, is what you call an unusual killing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
My only impression of Sylva was when I stopped at the Hardee's there and the roast beef was so rotten it was green. If I ever get hungry in Sylva again, perhaps I'll try an Asian restaurant downtown.
Ew... My boyfriend and I wanted to try one of the downtown restaurants, but we got our business taken care of so early that none of them were open. We ended up coming back to Asheville and having lunch downtown here.

Thank you everyone for looking and leaving your thoughts.
Old June 8th, 2011, 12:01 AM   #11
Seattlelife

Likes (Received): 557

Cool little town! Thanks for sharing.

Sonicsgate, a must see! Just click and watch.
http://www.sonicsgate.org/
Seattlelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #12
hauntedheadnc

Thanks for stopping by, Seattlelife.
Old June 9th, 2011, 04:38 AM   #13
WRLM

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
All the Hardee's in Sylva, and all the Hardee's Jackson County for that matter, closed over ten years ago. There are no Asian Restaurants on Main Street, there is a not-so-great chinese buffet restaurant at Jackson Plaza, and a Japanese Restaurant at Walmart Plaza, and a really good Chinese Restaurant below the High School.

And the town has changed a lot as well in the past two decades. The old streamline moderne-style 1940s movie theater, a local landmark for a long time, is gone. Gone too is the old colonial-style 1920s High School, the old Jail, and the First Citizens Bank, which will soon be demolished and replaced with a new building, retaining the granite facade from 1928.

The new Library is officially opening on June 11th after two years of restoration of the nearly 100 year old structure (Originally built in 1913-14, a jail was added in 1964 and it was totally renovated in 1969) and construction of the new library, which is over 20,000 square feet.

The county has a population of 40,271 according to the 2010 census, up from 33,121 in 2000. Cullowhee is the most populous township, and is home to a university with nearly 10,000 students and many tall buildings, though none are over 10 floors tall.

The downtown area was initially developed on the site of a farm in the late 1800s, but most downtown buildings were built in the 1920s and 1930s, with a few that are at the courthouse end of Main Street being built later. There are a few older buildings as well, including the old CJ Harris Sylva Supply Company Store Building (built in 1902), the Courthouse (built in 1913) and the Sylva First United Methodist Church's Sanctuary (built in 1917) as well as a couple of houses. There are many historic houses in the neighborhoods behind the courthouse, above main street and lining the hill on which the paper plant's water tower stands. Many are in need of renovation & restoration, though.

Sylva is home to the county's only 9-12 High School, which is located about 2.5 miles from the foot of the courthouse steps on the main highway to Cullowhee. Most businesses are located on that road rather than in downtown, but downtown has been very vibrant since a revitalization effort in the 1990s filled vacant storefronts with tenants and improved the aesthetics of Main Street.

Mill Street is now the focus of revitalization, as it is the first thing people see when they come into downtown off the freeway. There are also several underutilized pieces of land near the courthouse on Main Street. I think these pieces of land need to be infilled with new mixed-use downtown buildings between 2 and 4 stories tall with a parking garage underneath accessed from Mill Street.

A parking garage underneath or parking behind buildings is necessary to any new development because of the parking shortage downtown.

The sites I speak of are presently home to a 1950s motel, parking lots, the old 1970 County Library and two bank buildings built in the 1960s and 1970s. There is also a vacant lot that used to be a car dealership lot next to Peebles that could be built upon in the future.

Most teenagers I know shop in either Asheville or Waynesville, as Peebles has limited selection. There was a Belk's at that location from 1953 until 1998, but corporate downsizing forced it to close, and Peebles moved in to the space in 1999.

Recently, the new library, as well as a new park with a bridge and stage pavilion, fire department expansion and renovation/restoration of several buildings (within the past two years) have improved the looks of the town by a long shot.

Hopefully, within ten to twenty years, downtown can be a wonderful small rural urban center, with homes within walking distance of shops, a vibrant downtown with a large array of shops and places to visit, and more public spaces. Downtown is the jewel of Sylva.
WRLM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 01:35 AM   #14
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Very nice, thank you
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #15
bunt_q

Likes (Received): 0

Neat pictures.

So if Gaddafi ultimately crushes the rebels in Benghazi, or Bashar al-Assad wins out in Daraa, do you think 100 years from now there will still be monuments to their short-lived and failed moral rebellions in the town squares? I am joking, of course. But the juxtaposition of small-town liberalness and the Confederate memorial is humorous.
bunt_q no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #16
hauntedheadnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Neat pictures.

So if Gaddafi ultimately crushes the rebels in Benghazi, or Bashar al-Assad wins out in Daraa, do you think 100 years from now there will still be monuments to their short-lived and failed moral rebellions in the town squares? I am joking, of course. But the juxtaposition of small-town liberalness and the Confederate memorial is humorous.
It probably depends on how soon they get the monuments up. That one is somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 or 90 years old.
Old June 14th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #17
[Prinny Man]
Mah *****h

Likes (Received): 1000

Looks like a very nice place to live in !