daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2014, 09:44 AM   #121
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airport Addict View Post
That's an aerial photo of Antalya Airport (AYT / LTAI ); I don't think there's thread specifically about this one here, but there are threads about all Turkish airports; if not in this section, then definitely in the Turkish section.
Cheers
I'll hunt it down and repost it. Didn't find it appropriate to start a new thread.

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2014, 01:22 PM   #122
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 849

The masterplan for the Ataturk Airport involves building a fourth runway (parallel to the two north/south ones) and a third passenger terminal to the east of the two existing ones. A few buildings would be standing in the way of such an expansion, such as the Istanbul World Trade Centre and an expo centre. I think the Ataturk Airport masterplan is probably gonna end up being scrapped because of the new mega-airport. IMHO, I wouldn't even consider an expansion of the Ataturk Airport while they're going ahead on expanding the Sabiha Gokcen Airport on the Asian side and creating the new airport on the European side; If it was me, I'd rather just close down Ataturk Airport instead and redevelop its land.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.

Last edited by Jim856796; February 11th, 2014 at 01:32 PM.
Jim856796 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 02:31 PM   #123
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2728

And thats the plan

BTW IMO the 3rd airport won't be ready in 2023. Therefore the expansion of Sabiha to 70 PAX is more important

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 01:04 PM   #124
EK413

[IMG]http://i59.************/i5nku8.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.p...50872&nseq=127

firoz bharmal liked this post
EK413 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2014, 02:58 PM   #125
EK413

[IMG]http://i58.************/nmahbb.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.p...7763934&nseq=1

firoz bharmal, KWI liked this post
Old February 15th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #126
firoz bharmal

Likes (Received): 2416

ANY RECENT SKY VIEW OF THE AIRPORT...KINDLY POST IT...
Old April 12th, 2014, 11:08 PM   #127
Edil Arda
The User

Likes (Received): 29083

and current situation of the plot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edil Arda View Post

K. Atatürk
Edil Arda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 09:12 PM   #128
SarunasLT

Likes (Received): 27

When they expect to break the ground for this mega hub?
SarunasLT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 10:00 PM   #129
HRZMSH
Free your mind

Likes (Received): 910

Nobody knows it. I read on other forums in may or june, but not sure...
HRZMSH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 03:23 PM   #130
EK413

[IMG]http://i61.************/21aa23q.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Turki...879f10d9226c6a
[IMG]http://i60.************/j9sgpi.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Turki...879f10d9226c6a

InsaatHolding, brick84 liked this post
Old April 23rd, 2014, 04:13 PM   #131
EK413

[IMG]http://i58.************/deyc94.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.p...802066&nseq=32
[IMG]http://i62.************/21kbbe1.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.p...95198&nseq=111

Last edited by EK413; April 23rd, 2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old May 1st, 2014, 08:15 PM   #132
InsaatHolding
BANNED

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
NEW RECORD FROM ATATÜRK AIRPORT WITH DENSE PLANE TRAFFIC

ISTANBUL — Having quickly leapt over the last five years to become an air travel hub on the list of international airports, Atatürk Airport is rushing toward new records.

The airport is known to have the most dense plane traffic. On Friday, April 25, 131,662 passengers transited through the airport with traffic of 1,248 planes, which breaks the world record. General Director of the State Airport Authority (DHMİ) Orhan Birdal said, "I congratulate all airport personnel and the DHMİ which served smoothly in the dense traffic at Atatürk Airport.

"Atatürk Airport succeeded to rank 18th in the world in passenger traffic in 2013 and fifth in Europe.
http://www.dailysabah.com/nation/201...taturk-airport
InsaatHolding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 08:18 PM   #133
InsaatHolding
BANNED

Quote:
Istanbul’s airport overtakes Frankfurt to become Europe’s third busiest

By Richard Weiss

Istanbul’s Ataturk airport lured more travelers than Frankfurt and Amsterdam in the first quarter, setting the Turkish Airlines base on course to establish itself as Europe’s third-busiest air hub this year.

Ataturk, Europe’s No. 5 airport in 2013, boosted passenger numbers 11 percent to 12.4 million, edging past Frankfurt, last year’s No. 3, on 12.2 million and trumping the 11.2 million at Amsterdam, the No. 4, according to the latest traffic data.

The airport, west of Istanbul on the European side of the Bosporus, is benefiting as Turkish Airlines piles on capacity to tap local growth and build a long-haul transfer base. Should Ataturk cement its first-quarter standing, Frankfurt will find itself outside the top three for the first time since the 1960s.

“Growth has been enormous in Turkey for years but this will mark a changing of the guard,” said Hans-Peter Wodniok, an analyst at Fairesearch GmbH in Kronberg, Germany. “West European airports are losing transit passengers, which are the most lucrative as they spend the most in airport shops, and it’s even worse for airlines, who are losing customers entirely.”

Istanbul Ataturk, renamed in 1980 after modern Turkey’s first president, boosted passenger numbers almost 14 percent to 51.2 million in 2013, the biggest gain among the world’s top 30 hubs after Kuala Lumpur, following a 21 percent jump in 2012.

Frankfurt posted a 0.9 percent advance to 58 million and Amsterdam had a 3 percent gain to 52.6 million, according to March 31 rankings from Airports Council International. Europe’s top hubs are London Heathrow, with 72.4 million passengers last year, and Paris Charles de Gaulle, with 62 million.

Istanbul also lured 544,000 more passengers than Amsterdam Schiphol in the first quarter of 2013, only for the Dutch hub to retain No. 4 spot for the year after the peak-season surge.

The three-month gap now stands at almost 1.3 million, based on figures published April 7 and April 15, suggesting the Turkish hub may make its advantage stick through the summer.

Ataturk’s 200,000-passenger quarterly lead over Frankfurt translates into a swing of almost 700,000 people year-on-year, indicating that the airports may end 2014 neck and neck.

The German hub expects 2 to 3 percent growth to about 59.5 million travelers as Deutsche Lufthansa AG, which has its main base there, uses bigger planes. To beat that total Istanbul’s full-year growth rate would need to reach about 16 percent.

Frankfurt’s passenger tally took a battering this month as a pilot strike caused Lufthansa to scrap 3,800 flights. At the same time, a mild winter has pared weather-related disruption.

Established airports in western Europe are also under pressure from fast-expanding Gulf hubs such as Dubai and Doha — headquarters to Emirates and Qatar Airways Ltd. — which like Ataturk are exploiting a fortunate geographical location to set themselves up as intercontinental crossroads.

Like the Arab carriers, Turk Hava Yollari, as Turkish Air is known in full, has built a major wide-body fleet for long- haul operations. With Turkey’s population of 76 million dwarfing the Gulf city-states, the carrier has also established a much bigger narrow-body fleet for domestic and short-haul routes.

Ataturk, owned by TAV Havalimanlari Holding AS, in which Aeroports de Paris has a 38 percent stake, has also been aided as a weakening Turkish lira boosts competitiveness while West European rivals emerge more slowly from the recession.

With a 12-month rolling passenger count of 52.6 million through March, the main obstacle to Ataturk’s expansion may be its capacity limit of about 60 million. Booming demand there and at Istanbul’s secondary Sabiha Gokcen hub — where the passenger count quadrupled in five years — has prompted Turkey to award construction contracts for an all-new super-airport able to handle as many as 150 million passengers per year.

“The Turks are thinking big,” said Fairesearch’s Wodniok, who has a reduce rating on Frankfurt airport owner Fraport AG. “It’s a bit of megalomania, but then you do have to have the infrastructure in place before people can use it.”
http://www.canada.com/travel/Istanbu...999/story.html

Cadîr liked this post
Old May 1st, 2014, 10:48 PM   #134
bubbalo

Likes (Received): 925

nice article, but it won't happen this year, most probably in 2015. FRA will end up with almost 59.5 mil passengers based on percentage growth for the first 3 months of 2014, IST will possibly reach between 57 and 58 mil. passengers.
Capacity constraints (both-runways and terminal) at IST are slowing the growt, so in summer months we can not expect double digit growth again IMO (even in march the growth was "only" 7,1%)

Cadîr liked this post
bubbalo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 03:32 PM   #135
InsaatHolding
BANNED

Construction of the Third Istanbul Airport ( capacity 150 Million Passengers ) will beginn on 29th May 2014

http://nordicarch.com/istanbul-new-airport#media

[IMG]http://oi61.************/312hjqh.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i58.************/2rf4wno.jpg[/IMG]

Cadîr, muckie, brick84 liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2014, 06:19 PM   #136
Cadîr
Genuine Tatar

Likes (Received): 9205

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbalo View Post
nice article, but it won't happen this year, most probably in 2015. FRA will end up with almost 59.5 mil passengers based on percentage growth for the first 3 months of 2014, IST will possibly reach between 57 and 58 mil. passengers.
Capacity constraints (both-runways and terminal) at IST are slowing the growt, so in summer months we can not expect double digit growth again IMO (even in march the growth was "only" 7,1%)
I wouldn't be so sure, especially when talking about untypical countries like Turkey, Russia, China, countries in the Persian Gulf etc. Europe is more steady and you are right about Frankfurt, predictions could be helpful but Turkey doesn't follow a pattern.

Last year there were heavy protests during summer (Turkish summer), and the number of Syrian refugees has reached 1 million. Everybody was shouting that this is the end for Erdogan and for the Turkish economy.
Still the economy overall grew by 4% in 2013.

As a result of the protests and the political situation, the Turkish Central Bank rose the interest rate from 5,5% to 12%, the Turkish Pound already plummeted, so 1 Euro = 2,90 YTL now, when last year it was 2,30.

The summer has just started (Turkey is the world's 6'th largest destination, ahead of Germany), and there is an increase in hotel capacity and reservations, and add the weakened pound, which enables people to buy cheaper, and also fly cheaper. There are also new airports across the country (built during last 2 years), which will generate traffic towards Istanbul. This will lead to further increase in Turkish aviation.

So we have the statistics of the first quarter of this year ("only 7,1% growth in March), already telling us Istanbul is ahead of Frankfurt (despite this 7,1%). Yet next 2 quarters are in full summer season, the Turkish pound is still weak, so... There is only a difference of 2,9% to reach double digits, when comparing with March (which is not summer season). I think it is quite plausible.

Last edited by Cadîr; May 2nd, 2014 at 06:26 PM.
Cadîr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 06:46 PM   #137
bubbalo

Well, you obviously understand better the conditions in Turkey than me. I knew about the prostest but i haven't connected it with the traffic but i should have.

No matter this fact, i still think IST won't surpass FRA this year. All what i know, is that Turkish airlines are opening more new destinations from SAW than from IST, as i said because of limitations at Ataturk airport. That also suggest the growth won't be as high as last year or the previous year.

Also IST has "more" stable traffic than FRA, eventhough its dicutable. I mean at FRA the difference between the lowest month and highest month is almost 2 mil. passengers, on the other hand IST difference is less than 1.5 mil. passengers. I know this is not exactly good comparism, but it can tell us something about the behaviour of the airport througout the whole year. So even if FRA passengers will be stable in summer months, i do not think IST will beat FRA.

But there are many other factors included i think. We will see how passengers will react on DXB runway closure, if there is any new strike at Lufthansa, or the political situation in Turkey. And it seems ramadan also influence passengers in Turkey or am i wrong? last year the growth in august was only 4,03% lowest growth since december 2010. Or is this low growth has anything to do with the political protests last year?

Cadîr liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2014, 07:54 PM   #138
Cadîr
Genuine Tatar

Likes (Received): 9205

Yes Ramadan is influencing traffic, in the sense that it increases. It is like Christmas in Europe.

On one hand, the domestic market becomes more dynamic, because Turkish people go visiting their relatives. Many go on vacation at least a week.
On the other hand, there are the tourists from M.E. countries who come to observe Ramadan in Turkey.

August 2013/August 2012 grew 15,2% (22% domestic, 10,1% foreign).

The protests didn't affect the traffic in that negative way, because numbers in tourism show a great increase. Also those in aviation. Also, the protests were mainly during May, June...Not August.

I also forgot to mention, this year a few airports will give their full annual reports, because they were opened last year. People will start using them more intensively. And of course all of them fly to Istanbul, be it SAW or IST.

This year is election year, many people traveled to their hometown to cast their vote. Presidential elections will soon follow, which means increased traffic.
Cadîr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:59 PM   #139
bubbalo

Well it seems there is a lot of factors driving the potential growth. It is going to be very interesting to see the developmnent in future months. Looking forward to it

Cadîr liked this post
Old May 3rd, 2014, 11:39 AM   #140
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

I just did a Zagreb-Istanbul-Casablanca leg with Turkish Airlines, and over all it was a good experience. The only down side is the long line ups at customs going in, and out, and long line ups for aircraft waiting for take off. We had an average of about ten aircraft lined up before we took off each time.

That's the down size of Turkish having a lot of smaller aircraft with multiple frequency's to they're destinations. From what I saw the airport has two runways where one is used for landings, and the other for take offs.

Once Istanbul get the new airport finished they will by far be the number one airport in Europe. Until then I can't see the airport supporting the growth it has witnessed up until now because the airport's infrastructure is constrained already.

InsaatHolding, Cadîr liked this post
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
european hub airport, istanbul, turkey