daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2014, 04:58 PM   #141
vatse

Likes (Received): 728

The next motorway will be from Mojo to Ziway. It would be first part of motorway to Awassa. The construction would start soon if they haven't started it already.
And this same Addis-Adama motorway will be built to Awassa one day and maybe even to Djibouti. I haven't heard about any real plans for Adama-Awassa part yet. Only real plans are for Mojo-Ziway with connection to Awassa later.

ChrisZwolle gave the main reason for lack of need for motorways. Most of Ethiopian main highways have very few traffic. More than 80 % of Ethiopians are rural. Next biggest towns after Addis Abeba have now more than 300 000 people (last census was 2007) and are growing fast but it doesn't generate enough traffic to need a lot of motorways. Ethiopian terrain is not the easiest one for construction. Directions of Addis-Djibouti and Mojo-Kenya are very easy for road construction comparing with main directions to the north.
It would take some more decades to notice any real traffic outside of cities and Addis-Djibouti and Mojo-Kenya roads. And even then you don't need many motorways as today most of Ethiopian roads are almost empty from cars and have enough capacity for a long time.
They would probably start to build more by-passes for bigger towns soon as most of highways are currently running even through bigger towns without much traffic problems. But it's changing fast.
vatse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2014, 05:58 PM   #142
kostas97

Likes (Received): 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatse View Post
The next motorway will be from Mojo to Ziway. It would be first part of motorway to Awassa. The construction would start soon if they haven't started it already.
And this same Addis-Adama motorway will be built to Awassa one day and maybe even to Djibouti. I haven't heard about any real plans for Adama-Awassa part yet. Only real plans are for Mojo-Ziway with connection to Awassa later.

ChrisZwolle gave the main reason for lack of need for motorways. Most of Ethiopian main highways have very few traffic. More than 80 % of Ethiopians are rural. Next biggest towns after Addis Abeba have now more than 300 000 people (last census was 2007) and are growing fast but it doesn't generate enough traffic to need a lot of motorways. Ethiopian terrain is not the easiest one for construction. Directions of Addis-Djibouti and Mojo-Kenya are very easy for road construction comparing with main directions to the north.
It would take some more decades to notice any real traffic outside of cities and Addis-Djibouti and Mojo-Kenya roads. And even then you don't need many motorways as today most of Ethiopian roads are almost empty from cars and have enough capacity for a long time.
They would probably start to build more by-passes for bigger towns soon as most of highways are currently running even through bigger towns without much traffic problems. But it's changing fast.
I agree about the rural population, this is indeed true.
But i kinda doubt that a motorway construction won't help the nation's further development. Apart from that, i think that even the mostly rural population needs motorways, as they are going to help transportation from and to Addis Abeba.

And now i have a question;
If there is few traffic, why did the Ethiopians build 6-lane motorway instead of a 4-lane one?
I don't say that it is bad, i just wonder about it.
kostas97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #143
vatse

Addis-Adama motorway from Adama east to Bishoftu south

IMG_0510 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0511 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0512 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0513 by vatse, on Flickr

It's the current beginning of motorway to the east from Adama. One day they'll start a construction of motorway to Awash from here.

IMG_0514 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0516 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0517 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0518 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0519 by vatse, on Flickr

Corvinus, SRC_100 liked this post
Old December 29th, 2014, 06:21 PM   #144
vatse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostas97 View Post
I agree about the rural population, this is indeed true.
But i kinda doubt that a motorway construction won't help the nation's further development. Apart from that, i think that even the mostly rural population needs motorways, as they are going to help transportation from and to Addis Abeba.

And now i have a question;
If there is few traffic, why did the Ethiopians build 6-lane motorway instead of a 4-lane one?
I don't say that it is bad, i just wonder about it.
Today it's a real overkill but it's a better idea to build almost empty 6-lane motorway than to build empty 4-lane motorway and after 10 or 20 years try to expand it. Ethiopian road authority is posting some numbers of traffic amount on some roads and current traffic between Addis and Adama would be happy with some kind of 2+1 road. And it would have been enough for many years. As Chinese are investing to these roads they can afford 6-lane motorway also but there is no real need for this for many years. I'm hoping that they can keep it well maintained until they have real need for this road. So they don't have to re construct it again.

Ethiopia is still one of the poorest countries of the world despite the huge economic growth for 10 and more years. And most of rural population is very poor. So new regional asphalt roads are used by them mostly for cattle driving and so on. And there are probably millions of Ethiopians who are still living at least one day (sometimes even 2 or 3 days) by walking away from nearest all-weather road. Anyway I have visited Ethiopia many times during last 10 years and you can really see how improving infrastructure is helping local communities and one day they may have dense network of motorways around the country.

Next big projects are railways. Addis-Djibouti railway may be completed next year and they have probably started Awash-Weldiya line already. These are although built with Chinese money. And Chinese are more interested in building railroads for their future mines around Ethiopia than motorways.
Old December 29th, 2014, 06:32 PM   #145
vatse

IMG_0520 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0521 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0522 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0524 by vatse, on Flickr

Motorway is lined with feeder roads south from Adama. It's the great idea as Adama is growing fast and after some years it would probably grow to the south of motorway. So making it some kind of urban motorway with good network of feeder roads.

IMG_0525 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0526 by vatse, on Flickr

The new Addis Abeba-Djibouti railroad is under construction next to motorway.

IMG_0527 by vatse, on Flickr

The new railway station would be built next to motorway also. Not sure about location.

IMG_0528 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0529 by vatse, on Flickr

SRC_100 liked this post
Old December 29th, 2014, 06:42 PM   #146
vatse

IMG_0530 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0531 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0533 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0534 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0536 by vatse, on Flickr

Tolled motorway is beginning after urban area of Adama.

IMG_0537 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0539 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0540 by vatse, on Flickr

All the under- and overpasses crossing motorway are lighted with solar power. You can spot solar panels after the bridge. Lamps on bridges seem to be quite small. I don't know if they are using LEDs or whatever.

IMG_0541 by vatse, on Flickr

Tom 958, SRC_100 liked this post
Old December 29th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #147
vatse

IMG_0542 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0543 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0545 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0546 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0547 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0548 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0549 by vatse, on Flickr

Solar panels for lights of underpass.

IMG_0550 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0551 by vatse, on Flickr

SRC_100 liked this post
Old December 29th, 2014, 06:52 PM   #148
vatse

IMG_0553 by vatse, on Flickr

Solar panels are expensive but workforce for simple works is very cheap in Ethiopia. So all solar panels are guarded by some local man. You can see the shelter for guard beside the road.

IMG_0554 by vatse, on Flickr

Bridge for new railroad.

IMG_0555 by vatse, on Flickr

Some more examples of guarded solar panels.

IMG_0557 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0558 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0559 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0560 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0561 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0561 by vatse, on Flickr

Old December 29th, 2014, 06:54 PM   #149
medviation
Professional Ass Kicker

Likes (Received): 278

Is it me or Ethiopian expressways are so similarly engineered to Chinese expressways?

I HATE NAIA
medviation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 06:55 PM   #150
vatse

Exit of Bishoftu south.

IMG_0563 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0564 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0568 by vatse, on Flickr

Connecting road between motorway and highway. These are not part of motorway. So all local traffic will benefit from these new roads.

IMG_0570 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0571 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0572 by vatse, on Flickr

SRC_100 liked this post
Old December 29th, 2014, 06:57 PM   #151
vatse

Quote:
Originally Posted by medviation View Post
Is it me or Ethiopian expressways are so similarly engineered to Chinese expressways?
These are engineered by Chinese. I'm not sure if there are any Ethiopian standards for motorways at all. They'll probably copy Chinese standards now if needed.
Old December 29th, 2014, 09:02 PM   #152
vatse

Addis-Adama motorway from Bishoftu north to Tulu Dimtu.

Connecting road from highway to junction of Bishoftu north.

IMG_0573 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0574 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0575 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0576 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0577 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0579 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0580 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0581 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0582 by vatse, on Flickr

Old December 29th, 2014, 09:06 PM   #153
vatse

IMG_0583 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0586 by vatse, on Flickr

View to Addis Abeba.

IMG_0587 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0588 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0589 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0591 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0593 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0595 by vatse, on Flickr

End of motorway at Tulu Dimtu, southern part of Addis Abeba. Here will be new junction for motorway and new ring road of Addis Abeba.

IMG_0597 by vatse, on Flickr

Tom 958, pasadia, SRC_100 liked this post
Old December 29th, 2014, 11:39 PM   #154
kostas97

Quote:
Today it's a real overkill but it's a better idea to build almost empty 6-lane motorway than to build empty 4-lane motorway and after 10 or 20 years try to expand it. Ethiopian road authority is posting some numbers of traffic amount on some roads and current traffic between Addis and Adama would be happy with some kind of 2+1 road. And it would have been enough for many years. As Chinese are investing to these roads they can afford 6-lane motorway also but there is no real need for this for many years. I'm hoping that they can keep it well maintained until they have real need for this road. So they don't have to re construct it again.

Ethiopia is still one of the poorest countries of the world despite the huge economic growth for 10 and more years. And most of rural population is very poor. So new regional asphalt roads are used by them mostly for cattle driving and so on. And there are probably millions of Ethiopians who are still living at least one day (sometimes even 2 or 3 days) by walking away from nearest all-weather road. Anyway I have visited Ethiopia many times during last 10 years and you can really see how improving infrastructure is helping local communities and one day they may have dense network of motorways around the country.

Next big projects are railways. Addis-Djibouti railway may be completed next year and they have probably started Awash-Weldiya line already. These are although built with Chinese money. And Chinese are more interested in building railroads for their future mines around Ethiopia than motorways.
I agree with your statements, and i hope that one day Ethiopia will have a dense motorway network, comparable with other countries.

Also, i see that the Chinese invest a lot of money to improve African infrastructure (i saw that they're going to build an expressway in Madagascar, improve the DRC roads and reconstruct the Mombasa-Nairobi railway). I don't blame them;their country's infrastructure is awesome and their amount of money is really huge, so why not invest them???

In conclusion, i have aquestion about the railways, which you mentioned;
Apart from the new Awash-Weldiya railway, isn't the Addis Abeba-Djibouti railway completed?? (just asking, i don't even know)
Old December 30th, 2014, 09:20 PM   #155
vatse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostas97 View Post
I agree with your statements, and i hope that one day Ethiopia will have a dense motorway network, comparable with other countries.

Also, i see that the Chinese invest a lot of money to improve African infrastructure (i saw that they're going to build an expressway in Madagascar, improve the DRC roads and reconstruct the Mombasa-Nairobi railway). I don't blame them;their country's infrastructure is awesome and their amount of money is really huge, so why not invest them???

In conclusion, i have aquestion about the railways, which you mentioned;
Apart from the new Awash-Weldiya railway, isn't the Addis Abeba-Djibouti railway completed?? (just asking, i don't even know)
It was the old railway which was built some 100 years ago. Most of it haven't been used for some 10-20 years and there are only parts of it still survived outside of urban areas. All the maps are still showing this one but actually there is no real railway for some time now.

Construction of new modern railroad started maybe 3 years ago and would be finished probably next year. It would be modern railroad usable for electric trains also. You can check about from Ethiopian forums - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...845760&page=20 Better to start from the end as first pages are only about possible projects and some 5 or 4 years ago no one believed in Ethiopia that they would really have a modern railroad so soon.
Old December 31st, 2014, 01:17 AM   #156
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Ethiopia built its mainline road network (circa 5000km) between 1936 and 1941, when it was part of the Italian East Africa, together with Eritrea and part of Somalia. Those roads were built and maintained by AASS, the Italian agency for national highways, that became ANAS after WWII. Surprisingly, all main inter-city routes had asphalt pavement. That explain why Ethiopia has now better road infrastructures than other very poor Sub-Saharian African countries, like Sudan or D.R. Congo.
However, just for historical correctness, I add that it wasn't a good period for Ethiopia, as the Italian (fascist) army tortured and killed thousands of indigenous people, using the "excuse" of the white supremacy over the blacks. It was probably one of the darkest page in the Italian modern history.
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strade_...ntale_Italiana

Credits to: http://www.ilcornodafrica.it/st-strade.htm
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

SRC_100 liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2014, 07:22 PM   #157
kostas97

Quote:
It was the old railway which was built some 100 years ago. Most of it haven't been used for some 10-20 years and there are only parts of it still survived outside of urban areas. All the maps are still showing this one but actually there is no real railway for some time now.

Construction of new modern railroad started maybe 3 years ago and would be finished probably next year. It would be modern railroad usable for electric trains also. You can check about from Ethiopian forums - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...845760&page=20 Better to start from the end as first pages are only about possible projects and some 5 or 4 years ago no one believed in Ethiopia that they would really have a modern railroad so soon.
Oh, i see.....thank you so much for answering my question!
Old January 1st, 2015, 05:02 PM   #158
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Vatse was so kind to allow me to use some of his photos on my website on motorway signage. Also, I now added Thailand and Iran (again, courtesy of him).

Happy new year everyone!
Old January 3rd, 2015, 03:41 PM   #159
vatse

2nd update for Debark-Shire road re-construction.
For pictures from November, 2012 you can see - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1394384&page=3
For pictures from November, 2013 (starting from post #95) - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1394384&page=5

IMG_0050 by vatse, on Flickr

Biggest road works have reached to southern part of the road. Road north of Zarima is widened with blasting of hill sides and construction of new base for widened road.

IMG_0054 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0057 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0059 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0061 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0062 by vatse, on Flickr

At some places traffic has to wait until temporary road is prepared.

IMG_0063 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0065 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0066 by vatse, on Flickr

SRC_100 liked this post
Old January 3rd, 2015, 03:57 PM   #160
vatse

IMG_0067 by vatse, on Flickr
Same place 1 year before - https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/11368517484/

IMG_0068 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0069 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0070 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0071 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0073 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0076 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0077 by vatse, on Flickr

IMG_0079 by vatse, on Flickr

SRC_100 liked this post

Tags
ethiopia, highways