daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Cultural and Sporting Venues

Cultural and Sporting Venues From Football Stadiums to Opera Houses.

Old June 9th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #1
BS3_RED

Likes (Received): 5

BRISTOL | New Briston Rovers Stadium | 21,700 | Proposed

http://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/page/...373698,00.html

Believe it when i see it and as a City fan i hope we make it as hard for them to get PP as their fans did for us.
BS3_RED no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 9th, 2011, 11:58 AM   #2
Schmeek

Likes (Received): 0

I must say it's a bold move by the g*s, and one which really could prove a masterstroke IF it ever gets off the ground. The whole city of Bristol knows how many hurdles lie ahead after what's happened with City's project. It may appear all laid out immaculately and planned to perfection but all sorts of things begin to crawl out the woodwork when a project like this is announced, leaving best laid plans in an utter mess. The great advantage for Rovers imo is that they will be planting themselves slap bang in the middle of a large and constant fanbase. They will acquire of lot of support from students, since they will be living on campus next door to the stadium and in my view i would imagine it would be the done thing for many students to 'go and watch rovers' at discounted student rates just for something to do. Many of these students will continue to live in bristol post graduation and will continue to support rovers. It'll be a constant supply chain. Also, it would be excellently placed being so close to abbeywood/parkway.
Schmeek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 05:01 PM   #3
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 2877

Oh dear! Another crappy bowl type stadium. Really does look rather cheap and nasty.
RMB2007 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #4
Schmeek

yeah, that's what i thought. I prefered the plans for the new Mem, which at least had a boxy charm to it. Not hard to see why they would want to move though. Would like to see some more images, and i suppose there is room to expand and improve the UWE- but then they'll prob never be big enough to do it!
Old June 9th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #5
dronkula

Likes (Received): 10

Anyway, there's still plenty of time for the locals to try and get the site registered as a Town Green....
dronkula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 02:44 AM   #6
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 2877

RMB2007 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #7
ben77

Likes (Received): 30

That's a shocker, what happened to the last design? That was really nice..
ben77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #8
alabro

All the plans seem to be very well thought out, and great credit to all parties for that, but the actual stadium looks so bland it's unbelievable, it really is! Why can designers in the UK by and large not come up with something that actually impresses? It saddens me to see a design like this when, functionally, and considering where it is and all the benefits that go with it, this could be one of the best developments for a club in the UK for quite some time.

Away from the design, and while possibly not popular among fans of either Rovers or City, but considering you now have City, Rovers, and Bristol Rugby all looking to get major projects off the ground, isn't it time they all came together, as clubs and as supports, and tried to make sure it ALL goes through? Because if this development and Citys development go through, surely it would be a huge huge boost for sport in the Bristol and Gloucester area? Sometimes you need to look at the bigger picture than getting one over on rivals.
alabro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #9
BS3_RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabro View Post
All the plans seem to be very well thought out, and great credit to all parties for that, but the actual stadium looks so bland it's unbelievable, it really is! Why can designers in the UK by and large not come up with something that actually impresses? It saddens me to see a design like this when, functionally, and considering where it is and all the benefits that go with it, this could be one of the best developments for a club in the UK for quite some time.

Away from the design, and while possibly not popular among fans of either Rovers or City, but considering you now have City, Rovers, and Bristol Rugby all looking to get major projects off the ground, isn't it time they all came together, as clubs and as supports, and tried to make sure it ALL goes through? Because if this development and Citys development go through, surely it would be a huge huge boost for sport in the Bristol and Gloucester area? Sometimes you need to look at the bigger picture than getting one over on rivals.
Bigger picture my ass. I dont want any of that pikey scum south of the river let alone in our new ground.

Last edited by BS3_RED; June 11th, 2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old June 11th, 2011, 12:55 AM   #10
Schmeek

I don't think that that was what he meant BS3!
Old June 11th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #11
JamesWales

The design isn't particularly exciting, but fair play, it's a decent and ambitious project. Surely though, the locals on Gloucester Road will cry bloody murder over the prospect of a Sainsbury's going there?

Like others, I preferred their previous design, but there you go. If it wasn't deliverable, then it's just a pretty picture.

I presume the rugby club would want to move up with them?

I note as well, that this would mean that there is only one team in Bristol again!
JamesWales no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #12
hiseredman

3D model pictures are very beautiful. I wait its real pictures.
Old June 11th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #13
Schmeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
The design isn't particularly exciting, but fair play, it's a decent and ambitious project. Surely though, the locals on Gloucester Road will cry bloody murder over the prospect of a Sainsbury's going there?

Like others, I preferred their previous design, but there you go. If it wasn't deliverable, then it's just a pretty picture.

I presume the rugby club would want to move up with them?

I note as well, that this would mean that there is only one team in Bristol again!
There was only ever one team in Bristol James, you know that.

Yes the rugby club have been invited to join Rovers at The UWE.
Old June 12th, 2011, 05:44 AM   #14
hitmanhart

Yawn ,BORING.
hitmanhart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #15
Tom Jackson

A boring stadium maybe but surely it's better than the current one!
Tom Jackson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #16
BS3_RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeek View Post
I don't think that that was what he meant BS3!
Yeah, i just re read it. Apologies.

Still after all the shit we have had off them with the VG application, i just cant bring myself to support their bid.
Old June 13th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #17
mrddavies

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Jackson View Post
A boring stadium maybe but surely it's better than the current one!
nope.

surely they dont want doncasters ground?
mrddavies no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #18
Jackson1234

I think that this stadium will go ahead as it is in the area of South Gloucestershire Council, who are much more likely to get things moving than Bristol City Council. Also, Horfield residents have stated that having a Sainsbury's on the Memorial Ground site is preferable to an expanded stadium
Jackson1234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #19
Schmeek

Well I think rab c nesbitt would be able to move things along quicker than bristol city council. Where did you hear the horfield residents were more interested in a sainsburys than an extended stadium? I haven't noticed that reported..
I think you're right though, can't see it matching the (still unresolved) city stadium farce.
Saying that, rovers aren't looking too clever down in league 2 at the moment so whether they will remain focused on the new stadium remains to be seen. I suppose the bonus they have is the fact it is a partnership deal with the uni so costs are minimal.
Old October 28th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #20
Jackson1234

The head of the Horfield Residents' Association was on Points West back when it was announced and said that they were happier with the Sainsbury's.
Jackson1234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote