daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Chicago

Old June 9th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #1
Northsider

Likes (Received): 85

Increase of group/mob crime in Chicago

I'm sure everyone has been hearing these stories in the past few months/weeks about the mobs and group crimes happening at/around CTA stations.

Every story I read has a common trend: iPhone/iPod stolen. Please stay safe and puts those fucking things away. Your headphones are a dead giveaway. Yea it sucks we shouldn't have to keep things hidden, but don't make yourself a target. Report all suspicious activity. Who cares if you seem racist. I'd rather be racist than have a broken nose and no wallet.
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 10th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #2
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 83

It's funny how this stuff's been happening on the southside for the longest but as soon as the offenders wait just a little longer on the train then all of sudden it's a huge issue....
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #3
Northsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownCity View Post
It's funny how this stuff's been happening on the southside for the longest but as soon as the offenders wait just a little longer on the train then all of sudden it's a huge issue....
Obviously it sucks when it happens anywhere. HOWEVER, I hate to be the bad guy here, but it's "ok" when it's centered in a select few neighborhoods. Let me clarify:

When it happens in Englewood or Bronzeville it's a neighborhood problem, and that is dealt with at a neighborhood level. When it happens in the entertainment and business districts (IN BROAD DAYLIGHT) of a world class city with international attention, it quickly becomes a regional and inter/national issue. It affects many more people than if it simply occurred on the southside. Now business people are affected, now tourists are affected, now suburbanites are affected. Now the perception of Chicago is again that of a dangerous city. Nobody wants to visit. The city loses revenue. Businesses leave. See the trend?

When the Chinese tourists are too afraid to walk around in the middle of the day on the Mag Mile, we have a real problem. When the business traveler from NYC is afraid of being robbed on the L at 10am on a weekday, we have a problem. When more and more and more people see the suburbs as a safe haven from crime like this, we have a serious problem.
Old June 10th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #4
urbanpln

Likes (Received): 0

As an african american man who lives on the southside, I totally agree with you. This is not a racial issue. This is what happens when someone or something threatens a major economic engine in a important major city. They could be any race or gender.
urbanpln no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #5
urbanpln

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownCity View Post
Trust me, most african americans in this city are shocked, upset and confused about this type of behavior.
Old June 12th, 2011, 06:23 AM   #6
ChitownCity

I understand all of the repercussions that can possibly occur from that type of behavior when the spotlight is on that issue, but that doesn't give people an excuse when the exact same thing is happening everyday and involving much worse crimes. Why should the crimes stay in the poorest areas of the city, which make up the biggest parts of the city, where no one would really notice or care even though these areas have been dying for decades? Why not bring some more attention to the issue so it can actually be addressed and not politicized? It shouldn't take some suburbanites or gold coast residents to lose their iPod before any realizes that this city has a problem, but the focus shouldn't be on only protecting those with money either...
Old June 12th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #7
bnk

Likes (Received): 129

This sucks for Chicago's image. Do not think for one minute that people are not hearing about this. Google "Chicago" and 100's of national and international news stories are covering this....

Quote:
http://www.suntimes.com/news/sneed/5...o-economy.html

Source: Flash mobs on lakefront a threat to Chicago economy

MICHAEL SNEED sneed@suntimes.com June 11, 2011 12:24AM

Updated: June 12, 2011 2:21AM

The tsunami of new flash mob violence on the lakefront is a threat to tourism, business, Chicago’s economy — and the infancy of Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s promising new administration.

“There was trouble on the lakefront before — but nothing like this,” a top cop source said. “It’s like the bad economy has forced the gangs to enter into rich man’s land. If the city loses the lakefront to the flash mobs, there goes the economy.”

Sneedless to say, it’s one helluva way for new Police Supt. Garry McCarthy to cut his prodigious incisors — especially because Chicago is reportedly short police manpower.

and

Quote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,7878457.story

The latest incidents in Chicago apparently started about 8:20 p.m. Saturday, when a 68-year-old man from Washington state was sitting on a bench smoking a cigar in the 300 block of East Chicago Avenue as the young men approached, authorities said. The group beat him, robbed him of an iPad and BlackBerry and fled the scene, authorities said.

What authorities believe was the same group also approached a 34-year-old man as he parked his motor scooter outside a building on Northwestern's downtown campus along East Chicago Avenue, just west of Lake Shore Drive. One of the males in that group threw a baseball at the victim's face and knocked him to the ground, and several others allegedly punched and hit him multiple times.

Authorities said the group attacked two more men moments later on a nearby bicycle path. One was a 42-year-old man visiting from Japan, who was beaten up and had his iPod stolen from him. The other was a man in his 20s who was punched and had his bike, wallet and iPhone taken.
bnk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #8
Northsider

Quote:
Why should the crimes stay in the poorest areas of the city, which make up the biggest parts of the city
The southside IS the biggest part of the city, true. The southside is not all poor, that is just ridiculous.

But to answer your question, it's just the dynamics of the have's and have-not's. Cmon, don't act ignorant. Sorry, it's just reality. The return from pouring money and resources into Englewood just doesn't have the same return as keeping River North safe.

Quote:
the exact same thing is happening everyday and involving much worse crimes
People are aware of this. It happens so often it doesn't even get into the news, and it's sad. But this is the urban problem of every city in the world. As mentioned, what's happening on the northside has much greater and serious implications.
Old June 13th, 2011, 10:47 PM   #9
ChitownCity

^I know. I just wish every violent crime that involves an entire group on one individual was treated with the same level of intensity. That's just something I will never understand....

Last edited by ChitownCity; June 14th, 2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old June 14th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #10
untitledreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsider View Post
Obviously it sucks when it happens anywhere. HOWEVER, I hate to be the bad guy here, but it's "ok" when it's centered in a select few neighborhoods. Let me clarify:

When it happens in Englewood or Bronzeville it's a neighborhood problem, and that is dealt with at a neighborhood level. When it happens in the entertainment and business districts (IN BROAD DAYLIGHT) of a world class city with international attention, it quickly becomes a regional and inter/national issue. It affects many more people than if it simply occurred on the southside. Now business people are affected, now tourists are affected, now suburbanites are affected. Now the perception of Chicago is again that of a dangerous city. Nobody wants to visit. The city loses revenue. Businesses leave. See the trend?

When the Chinese tourists are too afraid to walk around in the middle of the day on the Mag Mile, we have a real problem. When the business traveler from NYC is afraid of being robbed on the L at 10am on a weekday, we have a problem. When more and more and more people see the suburbs as a safe haven from crime like this, we have a serious problem.
Good way to sum it up.
untitledreality no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 04:38 AM   #11
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Doesn't the CTA have transit cops on the L stations in addition to security cameras?

I know on the DC metro and on the New York Subway there is a huge police presence which deters those "would be thugs" from stealing other peoples belongings.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #12
Northsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Doesn't the CTA have transit cops on the L stations in addition to security cameras?
I'm beginning to wonder. Granted, they're "plainclothes" officers, but I've never seen them in action.
Old June 15th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #13
urbanpln

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post

I know on the DC metro and on the New York Subway there is a huge police presence which deters those "would be thugs" from stealing other peoples belongings.
The answer is yes. There are transit cops and cameras but, the police presence, has been average at best. I suspect it will now increase, especially during the summer months and holiday shopping season.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 08:19 PM   #14
Third of a kind
metrocard millionaire

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanpln View Post
Trust me, most african americans in this city are shocked, upset and confused about this type of behavior.
I'm an AA from new york, and It just makes me a bit disenchanted. I never see stuff like this back home on the street in manhattan, or the bronx. I come out here an it's like so many people trying to run some small game. Thankfully I have enough street smart to squash the situation(s).

It really makes me wonder about the crimes that go on, south..west and the places i've seen far north in this city. The urban poverty i've encountered here is much worse than what you'll encounter in nyc. The income disparity out here is f*cked up, way too many drugs fiends wandering around aimlessly downtown.

Now there are some incidents where common sense should come into play. last night I was on the blue line and I see this guy, I guess that he was a tourist, pull out an ipad with an interactive CTA map on it. Yeah that's convenient, but pretty dumb if you ask me.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 10:14 PM   #15
Northsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third of a kind View Post

Now there are some incidents where common sense should come into play. last night I was on the blue line and I see this guy, I guess that he was a tourist, pull out an ipad with an interactive CTA map on it. Yeah that's convenient, but pretty dumb if you ask me.
Exactly. Don't make yourself a target! Be aware. People are totally clueless when they have their headphones in.

Quote:
The urban poverty i've encountered here is much worse than what you'll encounter in nyc.
Honestly, Chicago's westside and parts of the southside are probably the worst I've seen anywhere in the US. And that's sad. Like I said though, usually the extreme violence is gang related or poverty related, but now it's targeting areas with much more impact. Just the other day someone got jacked at 5:30 pm right in front of our 2nd busiest commuter rail station! If this continues, I expect Detroit Mark II to ensue.
Old June 24th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #16
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 686

Quote:

Teen Mob Hits Walgreens On The Mag Mile

June 23, 2011 6:31 PM

CHICAGO (CBS) — The teenage robbery mobs are at it again on North Michigan Avenue.

Some 50 young people barged into a Walgreens at Michigan and Chicago on the Magnificent Mile on Tuesday
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/06/...g-mile-steals/

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #17
Northsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
This I don't understand. It's not like Walgreens in River North is more special than in any other neighborhood.
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #18
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsider View Post
This I don't understand. It's not like Walgreens in River North is more special than in any other neighborhood.
I wonder how many Walgreens stores are in places such as Englewood, or Austin... But I don't get it either. Did these punks say hey let's go downtown and jack a Walgreens? We need more toothpaste, and aspirin?

I'm pretty sure they are using social networks to organize these flash mob attacks...

And that B.S. the city officials said about closing North Ave Beach a couple weeks back because of the heat. Don't buy it. It was because of the gang presence. I didn't see them closing Oak St. or Montrose Beach.

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:52 PM   #19
Northsider

Quote:
I wonder how many Walgreens stores are in places such as Englewood, or Austin... But I don't get it either. Did these punks say hey let's go downtown and jack a Walgreens? We need more toothpaste, and aspirin?
I'm not sure, but it just seems very bold to hit a walgreens in the city's most "elite" area. Why not Bucktown? LP? Uptown? Just saying....

Quote:
And that B.S. the city officials said about closing North Ave Beach a couple weeks back because of the heat. Don't buy it. It was because of the gang presence. I didn't see them closing Oak St. or Montrose Beach.
In all fairness, summer in Chicago sucks with all the shootings and such. I'm happy the 4th fireworks at Navy Pier don't happen anymore. People get shot and stabbed every single year at that.
Old June 26th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #20
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 75

A harbinger of things to come in many cities across the US, perhaps? We'll see more of this everywhere if the economy doesn't pick up.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote