daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties » Transportation and Infrastructure

Old February 20th, 2007, 01:36 AM   #1
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Likes (Received): 146

USF News and Development (TAMPA AND ST. PETE CAMPUSES)

USF Honors College May Get Building As Program Grows

By ADAM EMERSON The Tampa Tribune

Published: Feb 19, 2007

TAMPA - Demand for seats at the University of South Florida Honors College is prompting the university to raise the standards for entry.

With that, the college - the university's academic crown jewel - may get a new home.

The state's public university oversight panel encouraged USF officials to place a new building for their honors college on their wish list. The Tampa campus can plan $1 million toward the project, with approval from Florida lawmakers.

The university established the Honors College in 2002 as a way to recruit high-achieving students. For years, though, the college headquarters has shared cramped office space within USF's student services building, and its students take classes everywhere at the Tampa campus.

University leaders say that space needs to grow as demand for the program increases, and they want to keep the students in one spot. There are about 1,700 students enrolled in the college, and the university has admitted nearly that many students for the fall semester, Honors College Dean Stuart Silverman said.

USF wants to showcase better accommodations for the best-performing high school seniors, who these days apply to as many as six or seven colleges and bring stature to a school's enrollment.

Of the more than dozen major colleges and schools at USF, only the Honors College is without its own building, Silverman said.

"It says something about the state of the college when it's given a home," he said. "It will allow us to provide an even higher level of service."

For students, it's a matter of convenience. The honors student lounge, with its computers and small library of classics, is a second home for many.

"I practically live here," said Ashley Dale, 19, a junior in the Honors College. "I would love to have all my classes in one location."

Honors classes are small, about 20 to 25 students - not like the hundreds that pack a lecture hall - and they're taught by senior faculty.

The minimum SAT score for admission is 1270 out of 1600, and freshmen must have earned a 3.7 high school grade-point average weighted with advanced coursework.

Those requirements are likely to increase, Silverman said. The most recent applicant pool - hundreds larger than in previous years - is filled with prospective students who have marks that far surpass the minimum standards.

All the more reason to spruce up the college's surroundings, USF Vice Provost Ralph Wilcox said.

Wilcox said prospects for the new building looked up when the state pot of school construction money grew larger than expected.

Even so, when Florida's Board of Governors met in Boca Raton last month, a proposed list of high-priority construction projects did not include USF's Honors College. The board, which oversees the state's 11 public universities, later relented after intensive lobbying from USF's leaders.

The $1 million in planning money is on year three of a three-year wish list the Board of Governors is sending to the Legislature to consider this spring.

The project, if approved, would cost about $100 million after that. Besides the Honors College, the building also would house lecture halls and other classrooms, as well as school offices. Its location would be near the current administration building.

Other USF construction projects include a visual and performing arts teaching center, as well as science labs to replace the university's aging facilities.

USF HONORS COLLEGE

Students currently enrolled

Prospective students admitted for fall 2007

Largest number of admitted students before this year

Minimum SAT score required, out of total 1600

Minimum high school grade-point average weighted with advanced coursework

$100.3 million

Total cost of proposed Honors College building over five years

Source: University of South Florida
Reporter Adam Emerson can be reached at (813) 259-8285 or aemerson@tampatrib.com.

http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBEGMPACYE.html
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 20th, 2007, 04:16 AM   #2
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 20

I wish them the best. On my college search this year, I was admitted into USF Honors but wasn't impressed with the Architecture program. Otherwise, it is a very solid school. It's nice to see the school progress.
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 04:29 AM   #3
Architek

Likes (Received): 84

HAHAHA, funny thing about the USF honors college is that they admit almost anyone, I got accepted and quickly turned them down. and lets just say im not the best candiate....Fsu here we come.
Architek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #4
Maxim98

Well, they accept people with a 1270 or higher on the SAT.... that's roughly 90thd percentile... that's fairly selective, imho.
Old February 21st, 2007, 02:40 AM   #5
Architek

Likes (Received): 84

i dont have a 1270, when i applied to usf i had an 1140 sat, and a 26 on my act, and got accepted to the honors college, with a scholarship- so those stats are probably just used to make people think its a great program.
Architek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 04:47 AM   #6
Maxim98

How old are you? The stats change every year - according to USF, they become more selective...

Anyway, not defending them, lol... I met those criteria, so I naturally assumed it was the truth. It's still nice to see a center of higher learning develop, even if some programs have some maturing to do.
Old January 31st, 2008, 05:13 PM   #7
blazertke

Likes (Received): 0

New USF Marshall Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://ctr.usf.edu/newmsc/
USF's student union, the Marshall Center, opened in 1960 and is one of the original buildings to the university. Over the last 46 years USF has grown significantly and is in need of a new student union to support the substantial developments USF has undergone. Students in 2003 realized this and supported a fee increase to finance a major overhaul of the Marshall Center.

Students endorsed a plan to build a 230,000 square foot new union which will provide the following key features: 1,200 seat ballroom, 400 seat multipurpose room, 700 seat auditorium, 100 workstation computer lab, expansive food court, sports grille, and restaurant, more space for student organizations, a variety of lounges, study spaces, and programming areas, large atrium and gathering space, several outdoor programming areas, courtyards, and outdoor eating areas, and more retail stores.
these were some easy shots to get since i go to school here

you can get more info from the project site http://ctr.usf.edu/newmsc/

blazertke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 05:50 PM   #8
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Likes (Received): 574

Those are awesome photos Blazer. I'm going to USF next year and am very excited about the new Marshall Center. I went through the old one during a campus tour and saw how heavily outdated it is. Once the old building is demolished, then MLK park will be extended.
HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 07:58 PM   #9
Atl Dan (via Tampa)

When I started grad school on the main campus in 1995, it was still lots of weeds and sandy lots. MLK plaza was wide open without a tree in sight. The bookstore was basically a converted loading dock back by the physical plant. I hope the current student body appreciates what they have.
Atl Dan (via Tampa) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:12 PM   #10
stormyguy

I feel old as crap.. I started at USF in fall 1981 and the difference in 26 years is quite eye opening. A good percentage of the buildings now there didn't even exist then and the Marshall center was just referred to as the UC and hadn't even had it's first renovation. A parking pass for the year was only $20 but before the internet you had to stand in hours long registration lines just to get the classes you wanted.
stormyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:27 PM   #11
chuc98

As an alumni, it pleases me to see USF finally making a new Marshall Center a reality. When I graduated in 98, a new facility was only talked about.
chuc98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 10:45 PM   #12
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

They've got lots of renderings at that site blazertke posted:

More

Construction camera:
http://ctr.usf.edu/newmsc/webcam1.html

Pictures of construction as of Dec. '07:
http://ctr.usf.edu/newmsc/pdf/b2007-12.pdf
Old February 3rd, 2008, 06:22 PM   #13
TamHavPolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl Dan (via Tampa) View Post
When I started grad school on the main campus in 1995, it was still lots of weeds and sandy lots. MLK plaza was wide open without a tree in sight. The bookstore was basically a converted loading dock back by the physical plant. I hope the current student body appreciates what they have.
I remember that well. USF for a long time was a huge eyesore. They've still got some remarkably hideous buildings thrown up in the 1950s for as little expense as possible, but those can be renovated/have facade work done.

But yes, you're right, they have trees now, and it actually feels a little bit like a living campus, not just the "commuter school." It's a huge improvement over the way things were.
TamHavPolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #14
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Likes (Received): 574

I wish the Library building can have an major overhaul someday. That is also a hideous building from the outside.
HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #15
blazertke

USF Construction

Along with the Marshall Center, (posted last month) USF's Tampa Campus has 4 other projects in construction

Current USF Contruction
Marshall Center - http://ctr.usf.edu/newmsc/default.htm
Morsani Center - http://www.ajaxbuilding.com/current_projects_usf.html
Moffit Expansion
Magnolia Towers
USF Medical Office Building - http://www.ajaxbuilding.com/current_...fmedoffice.htm

Some Photo of the new Morsani Center and the USF Medical Office Building

USF Medical Office Building

Morsani Center

Marshall Center
Old March 28th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #16
TampaTower

any rendering of magnolia towers?
TampaTower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 12:42 AM   #17
blazertke

no

but i can give you some info on it.

Architect - Gould Evans
Contractor - Peter Brown Construction
Area - ??? - 1056 beds
Occupancy - Fall 2009
Project Cost - 68,217,693

the project is 10 stories tall i believe, which would make it among the tallest usf buildings if not the tallest. (the Sun Dome might be taller)

Old March 29th, 2008, 12:46 AM   #18
blazertke

Old March 29th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #19
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

^Looks cool. Thanks for the update.
Old July 1st, 2008, 08:24 PM   #20
blazertke

another photo of the largest eyesore at usf. (magnolia towers)