daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:35 AM   #1
wanderer34

Likes (Received): 0

PHL/ACY/ILG | Philadelphia Metro Area Airports

Can anybody ask me why PHL INTL Airport isn't truly international?????? I understand the reason why they call it an international airport is because of the fact that it handles cargo overseas. But compared to NYC, Boston, DC, Chicago, LA, SF, and of all places, ATLANTA (no offense to Atlanta), we don't really have enough international carriers. All of these Airports have them, and they are considered world-class, and international, as well as the cities. Phila has culture, history, and leisure, but we never back it up, which is why we barely are able to get tourists to come and often the tourists come to NYC, Boston, and DC, bypassing Phila. Even the few tourists that do come here enjoy Phila, since it's a big city, but has a laid-back feel and more of a small town, unlike NYC, which is congested, Boston which is arrogant, and DC which is.......well........corrupted!!! We need international carriers like Ailitalia, Aer Lingus, BWIA, Swissair, Iberia, TAP Portugal, KLM, SAS Scandinavia, LOT Polish, Icelandair, Olympic, Turkish, El Al, China Airways, Japan Airways, Air India, Vietnam Airways (since we have a large Vietnamese population and we could be the eastern hub for them), Korean Air Lines, and last, but not least we need Virgin Airlines, yes we need Virgin!!!!!!! Why??? NYC, Boston, and DC have their service , so why do we have Virgin??? The international wing is a shame!!! It won't handle that much international traffic. Here's a map of the airport I got from Yahoo:

[IMG]philadelphia international airport[IMG]C:\\windows\desktop\mapimage.gif[/IMG] [/IMG]

I hope I got the map on here. On the western end of the airport, right below where it says Tinicum Township, should be where the international terminal be located at, the whole length between the current terminal to it's east to N Service Rd. All the Cargo and the other services will be moved east along Enterpirse Ave. THe good thing about PHL Airport is that they're going to be lengthening two of the runways, and maybe adding a third south of the two parallel runways, which sounds like we have a chance. Tell me what you think!!!

Last edited by desertpunk; December 6th, 2014 at 06:02 AM.
wanderer34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:09 PM   #2
wanderer34

hello???
Old May 5th, 2005, 01:45 AM   #3
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4270

i'm not too familiar with airlines and how they work, but us airways' hub is in philadelphia. they have big operations in europe, with direct flights to london, frankfurt, paris, and other european cities. so maybe there aren't as many flights to other countries because other airlines don't want to have operations working in the hub of another airline. they would choose to do overseas business from their own hub, wherever that may be.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 04:33 AM   #4
*Sweetkisses*

Likes (Received): 2

PHL is international
*Sweetkisses* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 05:20 AM   #5
wanderer34

Sweet, I meant as far as having internation carriers line Alitalia, BWIA, Virgin, China Airways, not just the name of the airport!
Old May 5th, 2005, 06:58 AM   #6
volguus zildrohar
Slightly Hammered

PHL is an international airport, dude. The definition of an international airport is one that receives flights from foreign lands and sends them off to foreign lands. Philadelphia flies to several European, Canadian and Caribbean cities.

You may wonder why it doesn't take planes from every corner of the globe. Consider the fact that there are five other major international airports within a two hour flight of Philadelphia (JFK, Newark, Logan, Dulles and Hartsfield) with three of them serving cities of more immense international presence and national stature why does it surprise you that it, like many other things, means Philadelphia is often playing runner up?
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:05 AM   #7
wanderer34

Dude, you're still not understanding me!!! What I'm trying to tell you is that the international carriers give you the same serbice at a lower (and sometimes cheaper) cost. Lets say that I wanted to book a flight from JFK to Rome (FCO) round trip by using United. My cost would be $1642. If I used the same route using Alitalia, the cost would be $730, all on the 19th to the 26th of this month. If I wanted to go to Lisbon, Portugal from Newark using Continental round trip from the 12th to the 19th, my cost would be $963. If I used TAP Portugal at the same week, my cost would be $773. What I'm trying to tell you is that by using an international carrier like China Airlines to go to Hong Kong, Virgin to go to London, and Luftansa, you'll be able to save a lot of money rather than rely on the American carriers, where I personally think you'll be ripped off due to the high prices that they offer you. That's why just about every one of the big name American carriers is going bankrupt and laying people off, while low-cost carriers like Southwest is doing good business because they're not ripping people off and therefore, why the airports you just mentioned are the busiest in America, because they offer variety rather than just the American carriers that we have here in Philadelphia. That's why we need more international carriers, and therefore, a bigger international terminal.
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:17 AM   #8
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Likes (Received): 4

^ You need a whole new airport... it has a 1950s airfield design to it that hinders the amount of traffic. And the passenger terminals/concourses are old too. They need to spend a few billion just like Detroit & Denver did to fix their monstrocites.
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:00 AM   #9
612bv3

Likes (Received): 101

There should be a demand for a new terminal to be built or i'll be a ghost town. If you want international carriers to go to PHL, there should be a big demand for it or else it'll be a waste of money for them. Anyways it looks like you have a lot of different carriers coming to PHL but a lot of them are American carriers which isn't bad at all.

Air Jamaica
Air Canada
Air France
Air Tran Airways
America West
American Eagle
American Airlines
British Airways
Charter
Continental
Continental Express
Delta Air Lines
Delta Connection
Frontier Airlines
Lufthansa
Midwest Airlines
United Express
US Airways
US Airways (Int'l)
US Airways Express
USA 3000
Northwest Airlines
Southwest Airlines
United Airlines
612bv3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 03:34 AM   #10
wanderer34

And stil not good enough. International carriers, please???
Old May 7th, 2005, 06:41 AM   #11
Nick in Atlanta

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34
Dude, you're still not understanding me!!! What I'm trying to tell you is that the international carriers give you the same serbice at a lower (and sometimes cheaper) cost. Lets say that I wanted to book a flight from JFK to Rome (FCO) round trip by using United. My cost would be $1642. If I used the same route using Alitalia, the cost would be $730, all on the 19th to the 26th of this month. If I wanted to go to Lisbon, Portugal from Newark using Continental round trip from the 12th to the 19th, my cost would be $963. If I used TAP Portugal at the same week, my cost would be $773. What I'm trying to tell you is that by using an international carrier like China Airlines to go to Hong Kong, Virgin to go to London, and Luftansa, you'll be able to save a lot of money rather than rely on the American carriers, where I personally think you'll be ripped off due to the high prices that they offer you. That's why just about every one of the big name American carriers is going bankrupt and laying people off, while low-cost carriers like Southwest is doing good business because they're not ripping people off and therefore, why the airports you just mentioned are the busiest in America, because they offer variety rather than just the American carriers that we have here in Philadelphia. That's why we need more international carriers, and therefore, a bigger international terminal.
You have no clue what you are talking about! Your pricing quotes are ridiculous. Your rationale for why US carriers are in bad financial shape is just plain wrong. And finally, for once and for all, you can't attract foreign airlines by building a bigger international terminal. Foreign airlines serve cities that they can make a profit operating out of, not to have their planes look good sitting outside a brand new terminal.
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 06:44 AM   #12
Nick in Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar
PHL is an international airport, dude. The definition of an international airport is one that receives flights from foreign lands and sends them off to foreign lands.
WRONG!! An airport can call itself "international" no matter where it has flights to. There is no law concerning the use of the word.
Old May 7th, 2005, 10:10 PM   #13
wanderer34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick in Atlanta
You have no clue what you are talking about! Your pricing quotes are ridiculous. Your rationale for why US carriers are in bad financial shape is just plain wrong. And finally, for once and for all, you can't attract foreign airlines by building a bigger international terminal. Foreign airlines serve cities that they can make a profit operating out of, not to have their planes look good sitting outside a brand new terminal.

Did you go to the carrier's websites and compare prices??? That's what I did, and I found that the US carriers charges too much for international flights than their international counterparts, meaning that I would rather use Alitalia to go to Rome from Phila than American Airlines. Atlanta is lucky to have international carriers coming to your city, ad I'm not busting you for that because Atlanta worked hard to get an international airport. Thirty years ago, ATL was probably just another rinky-dink airport making only domestic flights. Now it's one of the busiest aorport hubs in America, and because of it, your city grew from being another Southern city to a world-class city. I hear people talking about wanting to go to Atlanta just because of the jobs, the cheap real estate, the quality of life, etc. And the fact that you're a college town (Morehouse, Spelman, Georgia Tech, Atlanta University, Morris Brown, etc.) and attract people from around the world makes you more attractive. Phila is also a college town, but we don't even have a good enough airport to service this city and even though our tourism is doing pretty good, we'll still not up to par with NYC, CHicago, Miami, Boston, LA, SF, and even Walt Disney World. If you lived in Phila, or at least stayed here, you would understand what the hell I'm saying rather than just saying I don't know what I'm talking about because what I'm saying is that were not trying hard enough to be attractive, and we need tourism to support Phila.
Old May 7th, 2005, 10:15 PM   #14
wanderer34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 612bv3
There should be a demand for a new terminal to be built or i'll be a ghost town. If you want international carriers to go to PHL, there should be a big demand for it or else it'll be a waste of money for them. Anyways it looks like you have a lot of different carriers coming to PHL but a lot of them are American carriers which isn't bad at all.

Air Jamaica
Air Canada
Air France
Air Tran Airways
America West
American Eagle
American Airlines
British Airways
Charter
Continental
Continental Express
Delta Air Lines
Delta Connection
Frontier Airlines
Lufthansa
Midwest Airlines
United Express
US Airways
US Airways (Int'l)
US Airways Express
USA 3000
Northwest Airlines
Southwest Airlines
United Airlines
That's a total of 17 airlines (charter is a term for private jets, not an airline). Now you kno why I'm mad that the fifth-largest city, and the sixth-largest metro doesn't have an adequate airport
Old May 8th, 2005, 12:53 AM   #15
612bv3

Likes (Received): 101

You guys are competing with Chicago and New York.
Old May 8th, 2005, 01:14 AM   #16
wanderer34

But of course, Phila must compete if it seeks to be a major place of business, tourism, and leisure.
Old May 8th, 2005, 02:48 AM   #17
Nick in Atlanta

American Airlines to Rome, via Chicago would be $1720.

Here's Travelocity's fares, which start around $1720 and go up. You can't get to Rome from Philly nonstop, except on USAirways, and BA, LH and AF all go through their European hubs in London, Frankfurt and Paris, respectively. You then connect to another flight to Rome.

Out of Atlanta, we only have Delta nonstop to Rome, and if we flew BA, AF, LH, or KLM, we have to make the same connections at their respective European hubs for a flight to Rome.

Prices are basically the same up and down the East Coast. You might find some consolidators that advertise in the Sunday Travel section of your newspaper offering cheaper flights, but they're just buying leftover seats in bulk and reselling them. Try that route!!
Old May 8th, 2005, 02:51 AM   #18
Nick in Atlanta

By the way, Philly Int'l is actually seen an increase in international and domestic flights in the last few years, and is now the 30th busiest (in terms of passengers) airport in the world.
Old May 8th, 2005, 03:34 AM   #19
wanderer34

Did you go to alitaliausa.com like I told you????????????????????????????? I said that Alitalia has a cheaper price than American Airlines. THe cheapest flight would cost $1260 round trip from Chicago O'hare to Rome and back. It goes up depending how direct and how fast you want to get there. I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but I'm trying to tell you that people want more bang for their buck and if that means taking a cheaper flight to Rome, then they'll take that cheap flight than spend a fortune on it, whether it's an domestic carrier or an international carrier, as long as the price is low, or if they can afford to pay a more direct flight, than they'll pay for it. That's why SW is so sucessful, because of cheap rates.
Old May 8th, 2005, 07:14 AM   #20
volguus zildrohar
Slightly Hammered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick in Atlanta
WRONG!! An airport can call itself "international" no matter where it has flights to. There is no law concerning the use of the word.
OOOH. I've been schooled.

When did mention there was some legal standard to be met to for an airport to call itself "international"?

I used the common sense definition. I don't work at an airport. I shall defer to your galactic genius in the future.

Tags
northamerica airport hubs, pennsylvania, philadelphia, us airports