daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 20th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #21
motion

Likes (Received): 123

i normally dont comment much, but sorry i had to say this

stupid because the only truly recognizable cities are new york, sydney, london, paris, rome and washington and Hollywood, LA. Sorry we could get politically correct and just like all cities with a big ego, but the truth is they are the only recognizable ones. sorry had to say it.
motion no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2011, 07:56 AM   #22
guille_89uy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

And Venice and Las Vegas, c'mon... Dubai as well.
guille_89uy no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #23
Botswana

Likes (Received): 30

Berlin is very recognizable. The Brandenburg Gate is really famous, especially since Reagan and JFK both gave important speeches there. There's also the Berlin Wall, Checkpoint Charlie, TV Tower, Reichstag, Museum Island, Alexanderplatz etc...

I'd argue it's the most famous city in Europe behind London, Paris and Rome.
Botswana no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #24
Evan
Amurika!

Likes (Received): 188

I'd definitely put Chicago near the top. Sears Tower (Willis, whatever), Hancock and Marina City are widely known.

Evan no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #25
Clery

Likes (Received): 3592

Obviously some Americans in here truely over-estimate the notoriety of their cities in Asia or Africa.

The really famous US cities are NYC, LA and maybe Washington. Chicago and San Francisco are not even close.

I agree with Botswana. Many people under-estimate the notoriety of both Berlin and Moscow. And then comes Asian cities: Beijing, Tokyo, Bombay(Mumbai), Mecca.
Clery no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #26
motion

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clery View Post
Obviously some Americans in here truely over-estimate the notoriety of their cities in Asia or Africa.

The really famous US cities are NYC, LA and maybe Washington. Chicago and San Francisco are not even close.

I agree with Botswana. Many people under-estimate the notoriety of both Berlin and Moscow. And then comes Asian cities: Beijing, Tokyo, Bombay(Mumbai), Mecca.
I have to totally agree! I lived in America half my life and Americans would be shocked to know that other than NY and washington nothing is that recognizable not even LA.
motion no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #27
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

what in Tokyo, Mumbai and Mecca is synonymous with the city? Something that the entire world would recognise at first glance and know exactly where it's located?
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #28
Evan
Amurika!

For Tokyo, it would have to be Tokyo Tower and the Docomo building with the cool clock on it. For Mumbai and Mecca, I can't think of a single thing.

Evan no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #29
mvictory

Likes (Received): 26

Only cities in the world that are truly universally recognisable are.
Paris, London, NYC, Rome and Sydney (or do I overestimate the importance significance of the opera house because I am Australian)

don't underestimate the ignorance of many people towards geography or architecture. Remember everyone on this forum has an interest in these fields which is not shared by everyone.
mvictory no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #30
Evan
Amurika!

No, I think Sydney definitely belongs near the top. The opera house is a very unique building, and I find it hard to believe there are too many people in the world that wouldn't immediately recognize it, and its location. It's the same for the Harbour Bridge. Unless you live under a rock, nothing but Sydney would come to mind.

Last edited by Evan; June 20th, 2011 at 06:03 PM.
Evan no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2011, 07:27 PM   #31
Clery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
For Tokyo, it would have to be Tokyo Tower and the Docomo building with the cool clock on it. For Mumbai and Mecca, I can't think of a single thing.
For Mecca, that would of course be the Great Mosquee. Islam is very influential in populous continents such as Africa and Asia.

As for Mumbai, I would say it's the most famous for Bollywood, which might not be very popular in Western countries but clearly is in the whole rest of the world. Never forget that nearly the whole world has access to TV nowadays. It's the main source of information.

Though I agree both cities are at the limit.
Clery no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #32
Wunderknabe

Likes (Received): 194

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
Sydney (or do I overestimate the importance significance of the opera house because I am Australian)
Yes.

Of course its famous, but Sydney without the Opera house wouldn't be very recognisable I think.

However, its there, so be happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion View Post
i normally dont comment much, but sorry i had to say this

stupid because the only truly recognizable cities are new york, sydney, london, paris, rome and washington and Hollywood, LA. Sorry we could get politically correct and just like all cities with a big ego, but the truth is they are the only recognizable ones. sorry had to say it.
Well, I don't think a great majority of people know Hollywood is a part of LA.
Besides that Hollywood itself got just the Hollywood-sign, alright.

For LA itself I guess 95% of the people couldn't name one single famous building. Well, I could barely say there is one big US-Bank-Skyscraper. But I'm not really sure about that - and as mvictory said, as a member of this forum (and someone who has a great interest in architecture) I probably know more about LA than the average person.

Sorry, but LA ist absolutly insignificant other than by its name.

Last edited by Wunderknabe; June 20th, 2011 at 11:58 PM.
Wunderknabe no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2011, 02:27 AM   #33
Clery

Los Angeles is vastly known worldwide thanks to its movie industry. It's true that people can't recognize any building of the city, but they know its streets bordered with palm trees because they've seen them on TV.

As for Sydney, it is to me less known than Moscow, Beijing or Berlin. It's extremely known in the Western world, but far less beyond that. Even in Europe, I'm not sure 90% of people could recognize the Sydney Opera House from a picture. On the other side, they could associate a picture of St Basil's cathedral to Moscow, a picture of the Brandenburg gate with Berlin, or a picture of the Forbidden City with Beijing (even if they don't necessarily know the names of those buildings).
Clery no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2011, 03:06 AM   #34
Remolino

Likes (Received): 7

The following everyone knows is connected with India. But I am not sure they might easily know the City of Agra. And architecturally speaking most of the so called architectural landmarks that so far have been mentioned here do not come close to the Taj Mahal which is a true work of art.

Remolino no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2011, 03:12 AM   #35
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6232

These are very West-centric lists being put up, as others are inferring. A billion or two each of Africans/ Chinese/ Indians / Muslims may well be able to point out say the Eiffel tower in Paris, Statue of Liberty in NYC or Big Ben in London, but would be flummoxed with coming up with one or two more 'icons' in those cities, let alone others. To them the Great Wall, Taj Mahal, Pyramids, Mecca Mosque etc would be tops, and still be able to list 'lesser known' ones such as the Summer Palace, Red Fort, Medina Mosque, Sphinx etc. Likewise, like us Westerners they would be under the impression their (known) world would be regarded just as highly outside it, when it isn't.

Basically it boils down to people the world over are just not as clued up as on an internet forum dedicated to this kind of stuff. They each tend to limit their spectrum to about a billion fellows.

I would agree though that Paris, NYC and London would be vying at the top, but in terms of numbers I would add Beijing, Delhi, Mecca also as they are the 'centre of the universe' to well over a billion a piece (and much more so than the combined Western populations) - 2 billion muslims pray to Mecca each day (and with high profiles for Dubai and Cairo), 2 billion East Asians likewise are heavily influenced (politically, and with pop culture) by Tokyo and Beijing, 1.5 billion South Asians Mumbai and Delhi. These people do not go round thinking about London, NYC or Paris each day.

Last edited by the spliff fairy; June 21st, 2011 at 03:28 AM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2011, 03:51 AM   #36
Botswana

Mumbai, Delhi and Mecca are not famous except by their name. Show anyone in the world a picture of Delhi and I doubt they would be able to figure out where it is. And Mecca, well, most people can't even go there, and even most Muslims don't know what it looks like.

But there are some Asian cities that are recognizable around the world. I can't think of any African ones except for Cairo and maybe Cape Town. None of them have any real landmarks or exert a powerful enough influence over the globe except Cairo.

As for Asia:

- Kuala Lumpur (Petronas Towers)
- Singapore (Harbor, Lion Statue)
- Tokyo (Tokyo Tower, Shinjuku Area)
- Beijing (Forbidden Palace)
- Shanghai (Oriental Pearl Tower, The Bund)
- Jerusalem (Dome of Rock)
- Istanbul (Hagia Sofia)
- Dubai (Burj Khalifa)
- Hong Kong (Bank of China Tower)

Last edited by Botswana; June 21st, 2011 at 03:59 AM.
Old June 21st, 2011, 04:03 AM   #37
flyinfishjoe
Mangalorean

Likes (Received): 10

Mecca, really?

That is by far more recognizable than most of the Western landmarks that have been mentioned so far. By the way, for Bombay it would probably be the Gateway of India and for Delhi the Qutb Minar. And trust me, here in Asia not many people would immediately recognize the Reichstag or Christ the Redeemer.
Old June 21st, 2011, 04:04 AM   #38
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
I would think it would be Shibuya. Especially after Tokyo Drift.

I don't know about other places but my american friends instantly recognize Shibuya but have no idea about Tokyo Tower or anything else. Once skytree is lit up I think that will be the next icon since it's the tallest tower in the world.
ukiyo no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2011, 04:23 AM   #39
Botswana

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinfishjoe View Post

Mecca, really?

That is by far more recognizable than most of the Western landmarks that have been mentioned so far. By the way, for Bombay it would probably be the Gateway of India and for Delhi the Qutb Minar. And trust me, here in Asia not many people would immediately recognize the Reichstag or Christ the Redeemer.
No way. Mecca looks like any other Arabic city. Anyone who's not a Muslim, which is about 85% of the globe, would not really find it to be famous. If Mecca was a more open city and more people could visit, I'm sure it would be more well known.
Old June 21st, 2011, 04:42 AM   #40
roballan
Me want food

Likes (Received): 6062

For me:

NYC (Statue of Liberty, Empire State, Chrysler Building, Central Park)
Paris (the Eiffel Tower, the Arch of Triumph, des Champs Elysées)
London (Westminister Palace)
Agra (the Taj Majal)
Dubai (Burj Khalifa, Burj Al Arab)
Sydney (The Opera)
Cancun (Sping Break capital of the world)
Berlin (Brandenburg Gate)
Rome (the Coliseum, the Trevi Fountain,
Mexico City (the Independence Column/Angel, the Cathedral, Aztec Ruins)

roballan no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
turning torso