daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 21st, 2011, 02:11 PM   #61
Wapper

Likes (Received): 6633

My top ten (and that of most Europeans) would be full of European cities, except for NY and maybe a few other towns. American, Canadian, Australian and some modern asian cities look more or less the same to us. I find it strange that so many people think that Sidney is that famous. I guess a lot of people would recognize the opera house (but on the other hand a lot of Europeans and probably also Africans and Asians would not recognize it). Other buildings in Sidney are totally unknown to us.

With "guess the city" I know almost every European city, but I have a lot more problems with American, Canadian and Australian towns. There are some that I recognize when I look a little closer, but most of them look just interchangeable and boring (NOI).
Wapper no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2011, 02:15 PM   #62
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6427

Botswana, you need to reread my post. And Muslims btw make up nearly 30% of the planet, (by comparison Westerners account for 17%). Likewise East Asians and South Asians.

Just like Westerners, they are restricted in their field/ spectrum - but it still remains the monuments of Delhi, Beijing etc are held high to more people, just like our Western monuments fill the high spots in our Western minds eye.
the spliff fairy no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2011, 02:18 PM   #63
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6427

repost:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
These are very West-centric lists being put up, as others are inferring. A billion or two each of Africans/ Chinese/ Indians / Muslims may well be able to point out say the Eiffel tower in Paris, Statue of Liberty in NYC or Big Ben in London, but would be flummoxed with coming up with one or two more 'icons' in those cities, let alone others. To them the Great Wall, Taj Mahal, Pyramids, Mecca Mosque etc would be tops, and still be able to list 'lesser known' ones such as the Summer Palace, Red Fort, Medina Mosque, Sphinx etc. Likewise, like us Westerners they would be under the impression their (known) world would be regarded just as highly outside it, when it isn't.

Basically it boils down to people the world over are just not as clued up as on an internet forum dedicated to this kind of stuff. They each tend to limit their spectrum to about a billion fellows.

I would agree though that Paris, NYC and London would be vying at the top, but in terms of numbers I would add Beijing, Delhi, Mecca also as they are the 'centre of the universe' to well over a billion a piece (and much more so than the combined Western populations) - 2 billion muslims pray to Mecca each day (and with high profiles for Dubai and Cairo), 2 billion East Asians likewise are heavily influenced (politically, and with pop culture) by Tokyo and Beijing, 1.5 billion South Asians Mumbai and Delhi. These people do not go round thinking about London, NYC or Paris each day.
the spliff fairy no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2011, 02:31 PM   #64
Face81

Likes (Received): 270

The lists do far have been very biased and one sided!

The WORLD's most recognisable cities are London, New York and Paris.

A secondary tier would include the likes of Shanghai, Tokyo, Dubai, Las Vegas, Rio, Sydney, Rome, Cairo, Los Angeles, Hong Kong, Moscow, Bangkok, Istanbul, Singapore.

A tertiary tier would consist of places like Venice, Barcelona, Chicago, Seattle, Berlin, Kuala Lumpur, Mecca, Vatican City, Mexico City, Beijing, San Francisco, Washington, Mumbai.

Remember, the title of the thread is well known cities, NOT cities with world famous buildings....
The late Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum [1912 - 1990]
Face81 no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2011, 02:43 PM   #65
rY17

Likes (Received): 1

most of the cities listed here are well known because of their famous buildings
rY17 no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2011, 03:42 PM   #66
FeänorBR

Likes (Received): 8

For me the world's most recognisable cities are ( that changes a lot depending on the country you are from I guess, and what makes a city so well know are things like Landmarks, landscape and culture)

1) Paris (most know, most seen, most visited city in the world, and that's it!)

2) New York (because simply no other city in the world appeared more on the media and on movies than NYC. The Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building represent the image of America as a whole as much as it does of NYC.)

3) London ( Most of the world was under the British Empire at on time in history, and The city has many world-famous Landmarks)

4) Rome (The Imortal city)

5) Rio de Janeiro (The most famous tropical city in the world I think, there's no way you can mistaken the city, just look up from anywhere you stand, you'll see the unique shaped mountains, and The Christ looking over the city.)

6) Tokio (Tokio Tower, japanese arquitecture, the density, I think it is the most well know Asian city, but I do think the Asian cities tend to extend their recognizability, even more as some famous European cities in the future.)

7) Dubai (The world's tallest building says anything?)

8) Sidney (Because of the olympic games, the opera house and the bridge, I don't think the city itself, if show to people around the world is very recognazible, and it has no outstanding Landscape other than the bay.)

9) Shanghai (The olympic games, the unique buildings, and the importance China has gainned over the last decades)

10) Cairo (The Nile, The Piramids, the golden sky, The most well known city in Africa I think.)

*The European cities could easily fill the entire list, but if you take out some Landmarks, they can easily be confounded by people outside of Europe.

*American cities look pretty much the same if take out their landmarks, save only in my view, NYC, San Francisco and Washington DC
FeänorBR no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2011, 03:51 PM   #67
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6461

Quote:
Originally Posted by roballan View Post
weird, being the 10th most touristic country in the world, nobody has mentioned any mexican city...
it's not about most 'touristic' cities though... it's about internationally recognised architecture that is symbolic to said city.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2011, 04:23 PM   #68
Pennypacker

Likes (Received): 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum Knows Best View Post
Well I think citys like Dubai, Shangai, Hong kong, Kuala Lumpur have each got unique building in there skyline and i'm sure or i think people could recognies them
Your average person would find it difficult to distinguish between the skylines of those cities, but Hong Kong and Shangai would be far more recognised than the other 2.

Last edited by Pennypacker; June 21st, 2011 at 04:31 PM.
Pennypacker no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2011, 04:40 PM   #69
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallacopito-tranolid View Post
Does an average american recognise Sagrada Familia in Barcelona? I've wondered that question thousand of times... if you don't you're losing a great view, no doubt about that!
I knew it was an unfinished Spanish Church when I was in high school, but I never knew it was in Barcelona till I was in my mid 20s so I'm guessing many Americans would recognize it but not necessarily associate it with Barcelona.
weava no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2011, 05:49 PM   #70
Berlin.

Likes (Received): 5

Actually Paris is not the most visited city in the world. It's the second most visited in europe after london, before berlin.
Berlin. no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2011, 05:52 PM   #71
Berlin.

Likes (Received): 5

I would change the question and ask. for which city would you know a famous building or which city is famous for history and culture instead of would you recognize the city if i'd show you a picture of a famous building.
Berlin. no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2011, 05:56 PM   #72
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48597

From Sweden it must be Malmö with 'Turning Torso' and sustainable architecture:

Also, Stockholm for its location and preserved architecture.
dj4life no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
turning torso