daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 20th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #1
Aphelion

Likes (Received): 20

Exit density in your country

How is the exit density in your country? I get the feeling Sweden has quite short distances between exits, even on rural motorways/expressways, while France seems to have longer distances.
Aphelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #2
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3436

HR - depends of motorway. A1, A3, A5 have cca 20-25 km distances roughly, other have 10-15 km distances.
Old June 20th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #3
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5407

Pretty dense in the nothern part <10km between every exit, less dense in the south but still you will vind them like every 15km.

Especially around cities very dense where exits are sometimes less then a kilometer apart serving all midievel roads that radiate outwards from the center.

Last edited by joshsam; June 20th, 2011 at 08:07 PM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #4
jeremiash

Likes (Received): 74

We in Poland have guidelines (laws) that regulate the distances between exits. On motorways that distance has to be atleast 15 km, or 5 km close to big cities, OR, in certain circumstances, if the need arises those distances can be lowered to 5 km and 3 km accordingly. I find these distances a little too big.
The distances on expressways are way more appropriate in my eyes. Atleast 5 km, or 3 km close to big cities, or 3km and 1.5km accordingly if necessary.

edit: some older motorways have shorter intervals, but all new ones comply with the regulations.
jeremiash no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #5
julesstoop

Likes (Received): 80

Exit density in the Netherlands is generally very high, probably often too high. For an average highway (with which I mean a specific road with a single designated A-number) over it's entire length the average distance between exits is very often below 5 km's, in the western part of the country, on some highways this number gets as low as one exit per 1,5 km (e.g. A10 ring road Amsterdam).

Obviously the density is higher near cities. Most medium sized cities (pop. 100,000-200.000) have 2 to 4 exits per highway (most cities are flanked by at least two highways). As our cities are pretty compact, the average distance between those exits is often below 3 km's. But even for towns as small as 15.000 inhabitants - if near a highway - it's not uncommon to have two exits. As the whole country is densely populated, I reckon you'd be hard pressed to find an exit on any highway in NL with nearest exit or junction over 10-15 km's away.
Old June 20th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #6
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

In South Africa it depends heavily on the nature of the freeway - in urban areas some exits can be less than 1km apart and in rural ones sometimes more than 30km apart. However, as most freeways are urban/suburban in nature, mostly the exits are quite close together.

In urban areas freeways have mostly been cut through existing road networks and closely spaced exits are necessary to make the freeway useful to commuter traffic, but at the clost of increased weaving.
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #7
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop View Post
Obviously the density is higher near cities. Most medium sized cities (pop. 100,000-200.000) have 2 to 4 exits per highway (most cities are flanked by at least two highways). As our cities are pretty compact, the average distance between those exits is often below 3 km's. But even for towns as small as 15.000 inhabitants - if near a highway - it's not uncommon to have two exits. As the whole country is densely populated, I reckon you'd be hard pressed to find an exit on any highway in NL with nearest exit or junction over 10-15 km's away.
Afluisttidjk (A7), 25 km between afrit 14 and the unnumbered exit at Lorentzsluiten
Old June 20th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #8
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19355

I once calculated the average Dutch nationwide exit density is 3.3 kilometers between each exit.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #9
Aphelion

Once built out to motorway/expressway, the swedish E22 between Malmö and Karlskrona will have roughly 50 exits spread out on about 200 kilometres... that's an average of 2,5 kilometres between exits!
Old June 20th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #10
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That is typical for roads that were later retrofitted to motorways... high exit density, often incomplete exits that you can only take from one direction. Spain is a prime example, even though their rural areas have a very low population density, Spanish Autovías have an extremely high exit density.

Spanish A-1 between Madrid and Burgos is 230 kilometers long at has 75 exits, one every 3.1 km, even though it serves like 3 cities larger than 20 000 inhabitants.
Old June 20th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #11
Aphelion

Actually, not that much of the stretch I mentioned is a retrofitted older road. For example, the 2+1 expressway between exits 49 and 58 was built between 1964 and 1975. Motorways have been built sporadically, mostly in new alignment due to the old road passing straight through villages.
Old June 20th, 2011, 10:05 PM   #12
Suburbanist
on the road

I kinda like highways with looong sectors without exits, like Florida Turnpike or the Portuguese Lisboa-Porto highway.
Old June 20th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #13
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The longest distance between two exits in Europe is 46 kilometers on AP-2 between Zaragoza and Lleida, Spain.
Old June 20th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #14
Suburbanist
on the road

In US, the longest closed-access sector on the Interstate System is reported to be 37 miles long, in I-80 between Wendover and Knolls. If you consider all US controlled-access highways, the distinction goes to Fl. Turnpike (47 miles) between exists 193 (Kenansvillle) and 240 (Kissimmee)

===
btw: what a weird, weird name of a city is Kissimmee. I keep wondering how it is pronounced.
Old June 20th, 2011, 11:27 PM   #15
MattiG

Likes (Received): 612

The distance between exits in rural motorways in France is typically high, because the roads are privately-owned toll roads primarily for long-haul traffic. The exits are expensive to build and the manned toll booths at exits are expensive to run. Thus, the cost may be optimized by minimizing (or optimizing) the number of those.

In Finland, the distance between exits on urban motorways may be less than two kilometres. On the rural ones, there are typically exits every 5 to 8 kilometres. The longest distance between two exits is between the exits 11 (Haarajoki) and 12 (Mäntsälä South) on the road 4/E75: about 18 kilometres.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #16
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

The exit density in the UK is pretty low, as is the exit density in Portugal. As an exception my local A14 in Portugal has a large exit density between Figueira and Montemor, but other than that the exit density is only quite high in Lisbon and in Porto, the rest is quite like the UK.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #17
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I once calculated the average Dutch nationwide exit density is 3.3 kilometers between each exit.
wow, that's too dense for me!
i will calculate for Croatia, i expect number about 18 km. at the moment i cannot remember distances between exits less than 3 km here (and it is at Zagreb bypass)
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:59 AM   #18
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 62

In Fance, like other forumers said, on the tolled motorways the distance is usually high (for example only 9 exits on 254 km between Montereau and Dijon on the A5, which makes about 28 km between each exit - and 52 km between exit #18 Montereau and #19 Villeneuve l'Archevêque, though there's a motorway interchange inbetween).
On the free motorways (mostly retrofitted roads), it's much higher. For example, there are 49 exits on 290 km between Vierzon and Cressensac (the free section of A20), which makes about 6 km between each exit.
M@rtoc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:38 AM   #19
julesstoop

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphelion View Post
Once built out to motorway/expressway, the swedish E22 between Malmö and Karlskrona will have roughly 50 exits spread out on about 200 kilometres... that's an average of 2,5 kilometres between exits!
200 / 50 = 4
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:49 AM   #20
x-type
con los terroristas

12,2 km for Croatia in average on tolled motorways. somehow low, i should recalculate it.