daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > Kochi

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2011, 06:08 PM   #21
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

Likes (Received): 3074

Hello Friends,
I wish, in my next visit, I wish to go to some beautiful retreats of Idukki. Can anyone guide me the distance from Kochi TOWN to Rajakumari CITY or similar in Idukki?

I had seen Violin movie today only. Ever since that, I am in hang-over to visit Rajakumari CITY as the hero Asif Ali says!!!! I have never been to such cities at all!!!

Voice your protest for decommissioning
MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
mohammedirshad06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 1st, 2011, 07:32 AM   #22
DileepKS
Armchair Activist

Likes (Received): 2410

It is a local slang in Idukki to call the local village square as "city". Nothing wrong with that, as by no means they are claiming that it is a city as defined in the constitution.

It will be different if they start formally claiming that.
DileepKS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 09:04 AM   #23
antonylejos

Likes (Received): 30

Kadamattom Church

Visited kadamattom church on a weekend, about 34 kms from here beside Kochi-Dhanushkodi NH.. Nice experiance visitng & experiancing the place where "Kadamattathu Kathanar" lived...

Note the age-old temple-style architecture

antonylejos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 03:41 PM   #24
bijuarr

Likes (Received): 279

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedirshad06 View Post
Amazing..............

Dear MI, where exactly this location? Eastern side of Vypin island (between Cherai and Puthuvypin)?
bijuarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 03:46 PM   #25
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuarr View Post
Amazing..............

Dear MI, where exactly this location? Eastern side of Vypin island (between Cherai and Puthuvypin)?
I believe its located near Chitoor Ferry opposite to Kadamakudy Island... I am not sure... I have once seen something like this at Ferry station.

MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
Old October 23rd, 2011, 07:01 AM   #26
keralite

Likes (Received): 162

there are less know tourist spots in Muvattupuzha Taluk
1) Maniyanthram(Maniyanthadam) hills - Gives a Birds eye view of the Planes..Good For trekking fellas.
60kms from Kochi. situated near Madakkathanam(Vazhakulam),Muvattupuzha taluk

from wiki:
Quote:
There is a small mound called 'Aanappara'(ആനപ്പാറ) in Madakkathanam near Mylacombu - Madakkathanam road. In the centre portion of Aanappara, there is a small pool called 'Thavalakkulam'(തവളക്കുളം). The view of sunrise and sunset from Aanappara is very nice.

Maniyanthram (Bellmachine-മണിയന്ത്രം)is just few km away from Madakkathanam. We can really enjoy the beautiful series of gentle hills, valleys and green slopes from the top station of Maniyanthram hill!
2)Areekka(അരീക്ക) waterfalls, Pampakuda - A small Waterfall situated between Muvtpuzha and Piravom. 38kms from Kochi. it is near to Thrippunithura.

Other Places of Interest:
* Thommankuthu Falls, near Thodupuzha,Idukki..approximately 75kms
* Malankara dam,5kms from Thodupuzha
* Thattekad Bird Sanctuary, near Kothamangalam 65kms from Kochi
* Chiyyappara,Valara Waterfalls,Adimaly, Idukki district - 82kms approximately.
* Thumbachi Mala,arakkulam, Thodupuzha via

Last edited by keralite; October 23rd, 2011 at 07:14 AM.
keralite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #27
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

For those who love fishing......

Kochiites need no introduction to ‘fishing’. You might not have gone out there to the deep blue sea to throw nets for fresh catch, but definitely would’ve tried your luck with fishing rods. For those who haven’t, here is the place (right here in our very own Kochi) which you would love to visit. Peace, calmness, serenity, green, and yummy food at its best, which is what Njarackal Eco tourism project offers you.

Fish till you lose your patience. Take a boat ride when you feel like. And savour on yummy ‘naadan’ food when hunger strikes. All these at just 150 rupees!! Undoubtedly, a deal which is worth it! This Eco tourism project is run by the Matsyafed Fish farm, and has been treating Kochiites since the past few years. The best part is, you can take home the fishes you catch, and that too at cheap rates. You would find a flood of ‘Karimeen’ waiting for you to hook them to your rods when you enter the fish farm.

The good people around makes your trip even more pleasant and enjoyable. The sumptuous lunch that they serve there is something which you would not want to miss. So if you just want to enjoy bright sunny day fishing, all you need to pay is 50 rupees!

Now you know where to spend a good nice holiday in Kochi. Njarackal Eco tourism is creating waves. Make sure you do not miss this

http://www.kochivibe.com/go-fishing-kochi/

MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
Old October 26th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #28
DileepKS
Armchair Activist

I went to both Njarackal farm and Palaikari Farm near Vaikom

Palaikari has more area, and is more beautiful. But there are no fish to catch. We caught plenty of fish from Njarackal
Old October 27th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #29
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

New Tourism project for Bhoothankettu Dam area

Tourism Minister Anil Kumar said that he believes lot of potential is there to make the site, one of the most biggest eco-tourist hub in the country. A eco-tourist covering Bhoothankettu-Thattekadu-Edamalayar-Neriyamangalam is planned to allow tourists enjoy the best of nature's gift.

MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
Old November 2nd, 2011, 10:26 AM   #30
Malayaali
Registered Kochiite

Likes (Received): 2630

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedirshad06 View Post
New Tourism project for Bhoothankettu Dam area
Ernakulam to get first adventure tourism site
Quote:
The District Tourism Promotion Council (DTPC) is all set to develop Bhoothathankettu dam site into a base camp for Outdoor Adventure Tourism. The aim is to attract techies to conduct camps and experience adventure sports. The proposal for the first adventure tourism project is approved and initial work will begin soon.
According to DTPC sources, the project targets techies to conduct training camps. “The project has just begun and Rs 50 lakh has been already approved. We are intending to develop the Boothathankeetu site ideally for camping and the adventure sports. The visitors will get an ideal experience of night camping and trekking. We will also form a Bhoothathankettu Management council to monitor the activities of the tourist centre” DTPC official said. The project will include a day long trip starting at the Marine Drive. The visitors can spend a day experiencing adventure sports like trekking and kayaking. This will be the first adventure tourism spot in the district.
“Once the work is finished, the project will be a big hit. After the completion of the first phase of the project, it will be developed further. We will visit the spot next week and will conduct a study to examine what more can be done for tapping the full potential of Boothathankettu,” T N Jayashankar, DTPC secretary said.
Bhoothathankettu has the potential of becoming one of the must-visit places in Kerala. As of now, owing to the lack of infrastructure, it is easily missed by the tourists. However, recently, the plans to develop Bhoothathankettu dam site seems to have finally acquired some direction and drive. Once you arrive at the Bhoothathankettu, located eight kms north-east of Kothamangalam, there are various activities for one to indulge in.
A trip upriver on a houseboat, speedboat rides, a trek into the jungle, rock climbing, fishing. However, the upcoming project will be one of the highlights of the Kerala tourism map.

IBN
Malayaali no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #31
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

Chetuva

Thrissur (or Thrissivaperur) — the land of Poorams — is rich in cultural heritage, archeological wealth and history. It is popularly known as the cultural capital of Kerala. Besides its rich and varied cultural heritage, the district is also blessed with unique natural tourist attractions.

One such place is Chetuva, a coastal village situated 22 kms south-west of Thrissur, 55 kms from Kochi, near Vadanapally and in between Engandiyur and Kadappuram panchayats. The destination is famed for its fort, Chinese fishing nets, green mangrove islands, migratory birds and estuary and is also one of the emerging backwater tourism destinations in central Kerala.

History of Chetuva

Chetuva has a prominent place in the colonial history of Kerala. The Dutch and British camped here because of its proximity to the Arabian Sea. William Fort, built by the Dutch in 1714, is a major landmark. Chetuva was declared as a heritage village by the government of Kerala during 2010 because of its rich and unique culture, heritage and history. The presence of the deteriorated fort was instrumental in Chetuva getting the heritage village status.

The government has taken initiatives to develop the fort and its surroundings in order to promote tourism. During the pre-independence era, it was an important commercial and trade centre in the state.

Chetuva fort

William Fort, popularly known as Chetuva fort, is an imposing structure located at Chetuva sand banks. The fort was constructed by the Dutch with the permission from Kochi kings in 1714.

Later on, the fort came under the control of Zamorins and thereafter Tipu Sultan captured the fort, defeating Zamorins in the Malabar war and the fort came to be known as Tipu Sultan fort.

Frequent wars were fought between British, Dutch, Zamorins and Kochi kings for the domination and control of this fort.

The fort was captured by Tipu Sultan and was demolished partially. Spreading across five acres of land, the walls of the fort are about 12 ft thick. Due to neglect, the fort is now in a bad shape. Now it is covered with grass, plants and shrubs. The fort’s conservation started in January 2010 under state archeological department’s control.

Other attractions here include its scenic backwaters and the famous Chinese fishing nets found in abundance.

Chetuva is truly an attractive and a peaceful destination that has the potential to satisfy travellers who prefer the company of nature.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/chann...tive-blend-586

MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
Old November 4th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #32
maheshponneth

Likes (Received): 1929

I think this is a mis-post. It should be posted in Thrissur thread.
maheshponneth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #33
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshponneth View Post
I think this is a mis-post. It should be posted in Thrissur thread.
No Mahesh... This thread is about weekend GETWAYS from Kochi, which allows people coming to Kochi or currently living in Kochi to choose options available within 100 kms of radius from the city for a weekend outing or picnic. Eariler we have posted informations about Elavizhapoonchira in Kottayam and some places in Alleppy, all near to Kochi.

MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
Old November 8th, 2011, 04:11 AM   #34
antonylejos

Visual treat of Cherai beach

Old November 8th, 2011, 04:12 AM   #35
antonylejos

More from Cherai beach

Old November 8th, 2011, 04:13 AM   #36
antonylejos

Cherai beach and surroundings

Old November 8th, 2011, 04:13 AM   #37
antonylejos

Cherai beach and surroundings

Old November 8th, 2011, 05:24 AM   #38
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

Nice Pics Antony!!!!

Well, I feel the width of Cherai Beach has reduced after Tsunami, though the length increased nearly 3 or 4 times. Well, the width reduction has created 2 other beaches, Puthuvypeen and Munnabam.... If the govt doesnot spoil Munnabam Sandbars formed to make it a prefect Beach, surely Munnabam can be exploited commercially as its a very lovely beach.

What I like the most about Cherai and Munnabam is that both are sandwiched between Beach and Backwaters. Cherai Backwaters is really idyllic and a boating is a worth experiencing. In Alleppey, the Vembanadu Lake has been commercialized due to N Number of houseboats plying. But in Cherai, the solitude is something unique...... I have done that a year that I was lost in my own world.....

MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
Old November 8th, 2011, 05:33 AM   #39
mohammedirshad06
Registered Kochinite. MI

I also liked this concept... I have seen several stone edicts-like plaques of Kerala Govt erected in several places, giving directions as well as information to local public..... Well I have seen similar to this in front of Durbar Hall as well asin Paliyam... But couldn't read in my rush. Thanks for the pic as I could understand the utility of the such edicts. It takes back to some sort of King Asoka's era where hundreds of stone edicts erected..... But good as it creates a historical and touristic value.

MULLAPERIYAR DAM
DAMAGED
Old November 9th, 2011, 02:48 AM   #40
DileepKS
Armchair Activist

The beach looks pretty wide to me.

After the Tsunami, it had gone real narrow, but the last time I went there (in summer), there was lot of sand getting deposited there. The shallow sand bars extended at least 100ft into the water, making it safe to wade out.