daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Urban Renewal and Redevelopment Bringing new life into old buildings and neighbourhoods

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 28th, 2011, 12:55 AM   #21
Boba Fett22
we need corporation tax

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Magellaan View Post
What do you mean ''if we're not allowed to be prosperous''? Are people in Belfast sitting around waiting for permission and subsidies from the EU before taking action to get more prosperous?
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I'm saying it is totally illogical for this girl to one the hand say that people in Belfast should be grateful for the financial help we get from the EU and on the other hand basically tell me that I'm stupid to think that Belfast deserves prosperity.

How does SHE expect us not to be a financial burden on the EU if she's saying we shouldn't be allowed to be prosperous because we're not important enough?

Thankfully the Secretary of state for NI was over here with some German businessmen and the German Ambassador for the UK. They all said if we reduce our Corporation Tax and do other things they would invest here.

The funny thing is I think this girl chose to come and study here and she actually said to me she liked Belfast.

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2011, 02:45 AM   #22
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Cities like Gary, Indiana on the otherhand have relied on manufacturing and have made no effort to make the city livable including reducing crime, improving the education system, etc despite some advantages such as being close to Chicago.
Thats an interesting comparison. For many decades Gary IN was to Chicago what Newark NJ was to New York. For many decades, Newark & Gary were both noted as examples of the worst in US cities.

Yet, while Gary's remains a very troubled city & Newark's really mad a rekarable comeback over the the last couple of decades.

Much seems to do with that Newark has reached out to attract lots of new immigrants who've revitralized the Ironbound & other districts, while Gary's remained an in-grown "hometown."
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 07:40 AM   #23
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2540

I suspect that Newark never got as bad. Not the level of abandonment, not the disconnect between tax base and needed services. Wild guess, maybe not the crime either. Also it's much closer to the city center. Further, it can support higher rents etc. because the center of town is extremely expensive. Chicago has plenty of room for cheap living, so Gary isn't needed as a pressure valve.

In other words, Newark had/has a much easier path.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote