daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 15th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #201
friedrichstrasse
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2540

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENIUS LOCI View Post

On Italian forum we were just talking about that map as I noticed that there are several tracks which are now railways. We found out that they actually are rail but the ratio of the map is the formal distinction between tramways and railways; in the first ones convoys run on sight while in the second ones the run is controlled by the signalling.
No, all the interurban railways were closed and substituted by buses. The only lines that were turned into a railway was the Como-Fino-Saronno in 1898, and of course the Milano-Gorgonzola-Vaprio in 1968, now part of metro line 2.
friedrichstrasse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #202
friedrichstrasse
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2540

The urban tramway network has an underground stop, on the modern Bicocca light rail built in 2002.

Some pictures:

[/QUOTE]

friedrichstrasse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 06:06 PM   #203
Apteryx
Struthioniforme Apteryge

Likes (Received): 1778

maybe you don't understand italian... if you don't, the graffitis are talking about fascism and how it is wonderful...
Old September 16th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #204
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11120

No mantainence, I see

An airview of the underground stop

[IMG]http://i53.************/16kxh8l.jpg[/IMG]
Old September 18th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #205
tool2106

Likes (Received): 1729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apteryx View Post
maybe you don't understand italian... if you don't, the graffitis are talking about fascism and how it is wonderful...
I do believe he understands italian; he's even registered to the italian forumers census.

Likely he just meant to show the complete lack of maintenance.
tool2106 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #206
Apteryx
Struthioniforme Apteryge

I know, it was just to show also the lack of intelligence of the writers
Old September 18th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #207
tool2106

Those are not writers, but simple vandals
Old September 18th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #208
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21236

Quote:
I know, it was just to show also the lack of intelligence of the writers
Intelligence in the hand of criminals is useless anyway.

When I last traveled to Milano this year, I noticed a considerable increase in tagging on public works, monuments etc. I didn't use any public transport and just drove, but I saw more tagging on the university, on noise barriers, near signs showing the entrance to subway stations. Porta Genova is a mess, a mess of tags.

Yet some people (I'm not saying it is your case) have condescending eyes for them, like "oh, they are youth bothered by lack of perspectives in life in a capitalist society where you can't be noticed if you don't have the latest fancy outfit and cellphone)".
Old September 18th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #209
Apteryx
Struthioniforme Apteryge

You know, here on SSC - italian forum, we agree with you. What we criticize more is this condescending feeling and the laxity of the public administration against this problem.
Milan is a famous place in whole Europe where to go to tag trains and monument, because they are sure that there's not control. But something is changing, recently police blocked people from Spain and Germany (and italians too) ready for the work.

We hope also that the change in the administration this year can resolve the problem.
Old September 18th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #210
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
You know, here on SSC - italian forum, we agree with you. What we criticize more is this condescending feeling and the laxity of the public administration against this problem.
Milan is a famous place in whole Europe where to go to tag trains and monument, because they are sure that there's not control. But something is changing, recently police blocked people from Spain and Germany (and italians too) ready for the work.

We hope also that the change in the administration this year can resolve the problem.
Blocked? WTF

They need to be brought to the court and charged. A sentence of atleast 1000 hours of cleaning public spaces, they could hire unenmployed youths to keep an eye on them.
gincan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #211
tool2106

It's not so easy. Italian courts are overloaded by thousands and thousands of charges and the few times those guys are caught and brought in front of a jury for immediate judgement, they just deal a fee and good-bye.
Old September 26th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #212
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Night service has finally started last week end

Here a simple scheme of the night lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.fasg View Post

nel pdf nel link ci sono anche informazioni sulle frequenze:

http://www.atm-mi.it/it/AtmNews/AtmI..._dettaglio.pdf
Old September 27th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #213
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Intelligence in the hand of criminals is useless anyway.

When I last traveled to Milano this year, I noticed a considerable increase in tagging on public works, monuments etc. I didn't use any public transport and just drove, but I saw more tagging on the university, on noise barriers, near signs showing the entrance to subway stations. Porta Genova is a mess, a mess of tags.

Yet some people (I'm not saying it is your case) have condescending eyes for them, like "oh, they are youth bothered by lack of perspectives in life in a capitalist society where you can't be noticed if you don't have the latest fancy outfit and cellphone)".
Thank god, at least in America the graffitis arent political for the most part.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #214
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Neither in Europe
Old September 27th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #215
Suburbanist
on the road

I honestly don't understand the need for such a system in Milano at a time of deep fiscal strains on ATM. It's a "booze service" that will hemorrhage money away with expensive nigh-time contracts.

AT LEAST, they should charge a far higher fare, like € 4,00 and make the service not available on monthly subscriptions.

As it stands now, the service can be used with all normal tickets. Tickets will be not sold on board (standard practice for daytime service as well)
Old September 27th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #216
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

What you don't seem to get is that public transport is for public utility.

As far as I know people couldn't own a car or simply don't want to use it (for istance I hate to drive within the city). Do they have to move by taxi during the night?
That happened till last week
Old September 27th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #217
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENIUS LOCI View Post
What you don't seem to get is that public transport is for public utility.

As far as I know people couldn't own a car or simply don't want to use it (for istance I hate to drive within the city). Do they have to move by taxi during the night?
That happened till last week
I'm not disputing that, I just think it is a matter of priorities and there are many things that need to be prioritized in urban public transportation before the Comune di Milano bleeds money in a "booze service". Just that. And whomever is gone for the night for the 'movida' can fork extra €4 for a late bus.

For instance, the should fix the many broken arrival information displays on tram stops. Or remove some of the graffiti on trains. Or optimize some tram X road crossings.
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:19 AM   #218
tool2106

By the way have you thought about all the late evening and night workers who need to go back home cheaply without the risk of smashing against a wall while driving because of there tireness ? I do believe that just a little share of all the people you would meet at late night in Milan are experiencing the movida.
Old September 28th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #219
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Suburbanist, I simply can't understand why should people that go working or from working to home in a night hour being charged for this kind of their job scheduling.
I see not any reason for such a discrimination. It's nonsense.
Attus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #220
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Suburbanist, I simply can't understand why should people that go working or from working to home in a night hour being charged for this kind of their job scheduling.
I see not any reason for such a discrimination. It's nonsense.
Here in The Netherlands, surcharges and non-applicability of regular passes are the norm for night services. The reasons given for this are essentially two:

- it costs more, far more, to provide weekend-only night services, or any late-night service, because of laws requiring drivers to be paid more for hour worked, a disproportionate high rate of vandalism on vehicles etc.

- the cities can't offer a full service with universal characteristics like daytime (that would be too costly), therefore it is fear that users of a selective service pay a larger share of its financial burden.

I'd say similar arguments could be made in regard of Milano and its new night service.

One thing, though, is to be praised: there will be no on board ticket sales, despite the majority of regular one-way ticket re-sellers being closed late night. This way confrontations between drivers and passengers is reduced.

Tags
milan, milano