daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 12th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #161
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11124

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #162
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Old July 12th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #163
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Old July 12th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #164
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

I like this video: nothing special but showing a metro passenger entering a station and a train

Old July 13th, 2011, 01:48 PM   #165
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

This station, S. Agostino on M2, is the first station in Milan which superimposes the two platforms.
Opened in 1983 this typology of station was used to make the metro tunnel run under relatively narrow streets instead of underpassing the building basements. To reduce the wideness of the tunnel the two rails run into superimposed pipes (actually it's just one pipe separated by a slab)

http://www.sottomilano.it/fermate/sagostino.htm

This technique was also used in following years to build the central stretch of M3 which has 5 stations of that kind, Turati, Montenapoleone, Duomo, Missori, Crocetta.

M3 Duomo station
[IMG]http://i54.************/4jm7gy.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 19th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #166
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

A gif map of Milan metro web evolution till 2005 (it lacks of the last opened extensions)

http://www.cityrailways.it/milano-metro-storia/
Old July 19th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #167
thun

I thought that some part from Caiazzo to the North East on the Green Line was the first segment of the Metro which went into service (at least the German Wikipedia says so)?!?
Old July 19th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #168
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

I don't speak German but for what I understand the infos reported are in accordance with the map http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitana_di_Milano
Old July 20th, 2011, 01:37 AM   #169
thun

Apparently I just remembered it wrong...
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #170
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

I up this thread by saying since September the fare for a single ride ticket will rise from 1€ to 1.5€
Old August 26th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #171
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENIUS LOCI View Post
I up this thread by saying since September the fare for a single ride ticket will rise from 1€ to 1.5€
Really? +50% ?
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:08 PM   #172
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENIUS LOCI View Post
Thank God, the €1 fare was unsustainable in times of lean budgets for Milano municipality. ATM had a farebox recovery rate of less than 25%.

But they need to steeply increase the prices of monthly subscriptions. They should cost at least € 100.
Old August 31st, 2011, 08:04 PM   #173
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

€ 100 doesn't make any sense.

It should way more convenient, for istance, to buy single tickets. With two journeys a day (including Saturdays and Sundays) you'd pay about 90 € a month
Old September 1st, 2011, 11:25 AM   #174
thun

Above all they should improve customer service. The way they sell you those magnetic cards is just pathetic. I had to wait over a month for it, everywhere else they are able to do it within 2 minutes.
Old September 1st, 2011, 07:10 PM   #175
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post
Above all they should improve customer service. The way they sell you those magnetic cards is just pathetic. I had to wait over a month for it, everywhere else they are able to do it within 2 minutes.
Yup.

They're concerned of different people using the same card, so they fear to sell less subscriptions or tickets.
But people who buy subscriptions use the PT every day, then they actually use their cards.

There is another thing I don't like. With the cards you can buy just 'season' tickets (weekly, monthly, annual subscriptions).
You can't just recharge your card puttin' the money on and spending it gradually as, for istance, London Oyster does.
Probably that's due to the fact that nowadays the system is 'open'; I mean you have to validate the ticket once you in but not a second time once you get out (like London system does), so you've to know in advance what's the fare of your trip.
The magnetic system in Milan is predisposed to work in London's way though (it doesn't yet because they've to upgrade all S lines railways stations that way, and, unlike the metro stations, they're taking it too easy) so I hope in the future to let an Oyster-like rechargeable system
Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:15 AM   #176
thun

The main advantage of the Oyster Card are the massive discounts it gives to occasional riders. In Milan where day passes are ridiculously cheap they wouldn't really make sense imo. The only people which could take advantage out such a system in fact are Milanese which ride public transports only occasionally and less than three times a day as it would be a little bit more comfortable for them.

Nevertheless you could implement such an e-wallet system at least on the metro (and busses and trams) quite easily. Afaik there are no direct transfers from the metro to linee S without gates on the whole system.
If I remember correctly the metro stations outside the central zone are closed and don't let you out e. g. with a city subscription, do they? Its quite a while since I've been to Rho... If I'm wrong, ATM could still charge the city tariff only for all riders using the e-wallet regardless where they travel as a discount.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 05:12 PM   #177
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

AFAIK only Rho-Fiera has such working exit gates, because a special supplement is required to ride the train to Rho.

Stations outside city limits like Cologno, Sesto San Giovanni and many others on Line 2 don't have exit gates that work. Or didn't when I lived there.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 07:18 PM   #178
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Quote:
The main advantage of the Oyster Card are the massive discounts it gives to occasional riders. In Milan where day passes are ridiculously cheap they wouldn't really make sense imo. The only people which could take advantage out such a system in fact are Milanese which ride public transports only occasionally and less than three times a day as it would be a little bit more comfortable for them.
I got an Atm magnetic card and usually buy monthly subscriptions.
In August, as I knew I didn't go to work the entire first week, I couldn't recharge my card but buyng a weekly subscription, which was useless to me.
I didn't buy it, but bought a 10 travels ticket that I partially used (but it could be used again in the future).
To use a ticket owning a magnetic card doesn't make much sense to me
Old September 3rd, 2011, 07:41 PM   #179
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Quote:
If I remember correctly the metro stations outside the central zone are closed and don't let you out e. g. with a city subscription, do they?
No, they don't.

But they could within few minutes once they decide to do so, as every exit gate in every metro station got magnetic readers for tickets and cards, as in London; moreover every station got automatic ticket counters within the barriers to allow to the ones who haven't got a proper ticket to get out the station to buy one (I don't know in that case how it will work as the new ticket doesn't have an entrance validation)
Old September 3rd, 2011, 07:48 PM   #180
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
AFAIK only Rho-Fiera has such working exit gates, because a special supplement is required to ride the train to Rho.

Stations outside city limits like Cologno, Sesto San Giovanni and many others on Line 2 don't have exit gates that work. Or didn't when I lived there.
They changed all the gates before the magnetic system was operative.

And every station, within and out the city limits, since then got entrance and exit gates both with magnetic reader. But exit ones are disabled.

Tags
milan, milano