daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Karnataka > Mangalore

Mangalore Project News from Mangalore and Udupi

Old June 27th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #1
kadri_007
Automobile Admirer

Likes (Received): 4

Mangalore Udupi Bus Transportation Thread

Mangalore the coastal city in Karnataka has a unique bus transportation system dominated by private operators.

Mangalore has a good and efficient system of bus transportation which has become famous all over the world both for positive and lately a bit of negative reason.

Just like the Local trains in Mumbai, Mangalore buses also have become a life line for the lakhs of citizien who travel daily in the undivided South Kanara District.

Mangalore bus transportation has evolved over a time period and has made the Dakshina Kannada and Udupi Districts proud due to its service.

So here is a thread specially dedicated to the wonderful bus transportation in Mangalore and around.

This thread will cover the following aspects:
  • Mangalore city buses

• Mangalore Private service buses - Ordinary & Express

• Mangalore Contract carriage service buses

• Mangalore Private Interstate service buses

• KSRTC buses

• Mangalore luxury private buses - Long distance

• Mangalore bus stands

• And anything related to buses is always welcomed

Do post pictures, news, discussions,etc in this thread..

Last edited by kadri_007; June 27th, 2011 at 07:45 PM.
kadri_007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 27th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #2
kadri_007
Automobile Admirer

Mangalore City buses

Bus service in Mangalore started during the pre-independence time just with few operators. Today Mangalore city buses are completely dominated by private players.

Here I would like to throw some light on the city buses of Mangalore.

Basically in Mangalore there are 3 types of city buses.

1. Nagara Sarige: These buses ply within the city limits and can be identified with white boards.

2. Gramanthara Sarige: These city buses ply beyond the Mangalore city corporation limits and can be identified with red boards.

3. Express Buses: There are a few express buses also plying in Mangalore.

Mangalore city buses has Number plus a Alphabet to denote the route. The city bus boards has the name of starting destination followed by the ending destination in bold letters in the first line. The below line shows the name of the places on the route.

Most of the city buses in Mangalore do not have glass windows, but the new buses are coming with glass windows and automatic doors.

Old June 27th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #3
kadri_007
Automobile Admirer

Mangalore Private service buses

Here's some light on the private service buses of Mangalore.

Mangalore private bus service operates mainly in Dakshina Kannada and Udupi districts covering major towns and a number of villages. Also Mangalore buses ply to neighboring districts of Chickamaglur, Shimoga and Uttar Kannada. And there are a few service buses which operate to far of places like Davanagere and Bellery.

Mangalore has five type of private service buses.

1. Ordinary Service These buses mainly ply to small towns and villages in Dakshin Kannada and Udupi district. These have stops at every place. They are just like city buses with multiple stops.

2. Fast Service These are also look like ordinary service buses, but these buses are quick and do not waste time. The difference is the time taken to cover the distance. Though they have less stops as per permit. They still stop at every place and run like express buses to catch up with the time.

3. Express These buses have made Mangalore famous due to its speed and perfection in timing. Regular travelers just rely on their service and whatever the road or weather conditions they are always on time.

4. Super Express These are mainly long distance Express buses covering more than 2 districts.. They have even less stops compared to Express buses and most of the buses have Semi luxury seats.

5. Long distance Express These buses are mainly night service buses which cover long distance service to places like Davanagere, Chitradurga and Bellary. They have reservation for seats and stops only in big towns. They don't pick up short distance passengers.

Old June 28th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #4
s.yogendra

Likes (Received): 46

KSRTC - Low Floor Volvo operated from Mangalore City to Manipal Via Udupi, Inducted in 2010

©Nithin

s.yogendra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #5
s.yogendra

Bus fares to be hiked soon

Quote:
The hike in bus fares in the twin districts of Dakshina Kannada and Udupi will be a moderate one as the Canara Bus Operators Association (CBOA) has to increase fares based on last year's government notification.

Rajavarma Ballal, president, Karnataka state bus owners federation told TOI that he will call a meeting of the CBOA members in a couple of days to get their opinion whether the earlier notification margin of hike will suffice or not.

In case they want higher fares, we have to submit application to the State Transport Authority (STA) for revision,'' he added. However, for the time being the previous notification margins can be effected through the Regional Transport Authority (RTA).

Ballal said apart from fuel hike, they were also affected by 50percent hike in tyre costs and re-treading costs.

If the CBOA approaches STA, the hike will come into effect only after the minister gives his nod. It all depends on the transport minister's mood. But since he has increased the KSRTC fares, he may not grudge about our demand, he added.

Kudpi Jagadeesh Shenoy, president, DK hotel owners association, said that there would be a minimum of 10 percent hike in the next week.
©Times of India
Old June 28th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #6
Suj Mangalore

Likes (Received): 666

This thread is interesting,mangalore has always been the frontrunner when it comes to the topic of private buses,well a major share of mangalore population depends on these private buses,i am a native of karkala,as per my knowledge private buses rocks,they provide very good service,private buses are super clean,these private buses will overtake even high end cars on the highway
From my point of view the private bus network in overall south canara should develop further,right from my childhood i travelled many a times in these private buses,their service s superb,these buses will be like jet planes on nh 17,my good old memories...
Suj Mangalore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #7
s.yogendra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suj Mangalore View Post
This thread is interesting,mangalore has always been the frontrunner when it comes to the topic of private buses,well a major share of mangalore population depends on these private buses,i am a native of karkala,as per my knowledge private buses rocks,they provide very good service,private buses are super clean,these private buses will overtake even high end cars on the highway
From my point of view the private bus network in overall south canara should develop further,right from my childhood i travelled many a times in these private buses,their service s superb,these buses will be like jet planes on nh 17,my good old memories...

u r right buses are like jet planes in NH17(even volvos can't beat them) last time when i traveled in this road in a mangalore private bus i thought i lost my life for a while...
Old June 28th, 2011, 07:04 PM   #8
kadri_007
Automobile Admirer

Mangalore Contract carriage service buses

Contract Carriage service buses started on a full scale in Mangalore just a few years back. These buses operate mainly on nationalized routes which was completely dominated by KSRTC buses.

As per rule book these buses should operate end to end service without any pick up in middle. But there are hardly few direct passengers hence they operate just like service express buses.

This service has been welcomed by people since now they got one more reliable option to travel. Unfortunately KSRTC reliability has been poor on the nationalized routes, though they have improved a lot. Still a long way to go.

The contract carriage buses operate mainly in BC road route. They have services to Dharmastala, Puttur, Sulya, Subramanya and even far places like Chickmaglur, Virajpet, Kutta in Coorg.

Old June 28th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #9
kadri_007
Automobile Admirer

Mangalore Private Interstate service buses

Mangalore Private Interstate service buses operates mainly services from Mangalore and Manipal to Kasargod in Kerala. There are a few buses which have services to Kannur and Calicut also.

These buses have Limited stop permit which is similar to Express service.

Few years back there were a lot of buses from Mangalore and Kollur to far of places in Kerala like Thrissur, Guruvayoor, etc. But after the Kerala high court order all these buses stopped.

And it is said that by 2012, all the Limited stop private buses will also stop. Since Kerala government is not renewing their permits.

Though both Karnataka and Kerala state transports started their buses one after the other. It just lasted for a few months. Now people are struggling , just like the nationalized routes, waiting for these unreliable state transport buses.
Old June 28th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #10
kadri_007
Automobile Admirer

KSRTC - Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation buses

PART 1

Mangalore has a KSRTC division and has a lot of services to various places in Karnataka.

KSRTC service in Dakshina Kannada and Udupi districts have been a sort of mixed response. The positive side is KSRTC Mangalore division buses are well maintained unlike most of the KSRTC divisions. But their service reliability has been a big issue as per experience.

Now coming back to the services, KSRTC Managlore division has a variety of services.

The Ordinary black board service

The Red board Express Service

The Green Board Semi Luxury service

The premium AC Volvo service

The Mini rural service

All the above buses operate on short routes in and around Dakshina Kannada and Udupi Districts.
Old June 28th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #11
kadri_007
Automobile Admirer

PART 2

KSRTC also operates long distance buses, here are a few service.

The regular Express service

These mainly have single door, compared to the double door in shorter routes.

The compact Rajahamsa

The Ultra Deluxe Rajahamsa

The Corona AC Sleeper

The Volvo Airavat

The Volvo Multi Axle - Club Class service

Mercedes bus still has not come to Mangalore division.
Old June 28th, 2011, 08:58 PM   #12
s.yogendra

@ Kadri the way you presented the information is superb
Old June 29th, 2011, 05:30 AM   #13
engineer.akash
Citizen of the milky way

Likes (Received): 1922

Excellent Information and pics

TIER TWO CITIES RAKSHAK
engineer.akash no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 06:01 AM   #14
dr_thapalathy

Likes (Received): 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri_007 View Post
but the new buses are coming with glass windows and automatic doors.
It is really good.
Atleast they are caring for passenger's safety, apart from their revenue.
-
Anand
dr_thapalathy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #15
ajay ramchandran

Likes (Received): 472

Quote:
[B]PART 2

Mercedes bus still has not come to Mangalore division.
Thanks a lot Kadri for informing me about this thread on PM. Infact I did not know . Nice to see restructuring of the thread.
Do you have any photos of those vintage buses of CPC ,Balllal(Dodge,Benz etc). Premnath Kudva might have a collection of photos.
ajay ramchandran no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #16
s.yogendra

Transportation Hub to come up in Pumpwell
Land acquisition soon: MCC

Quote:
Not bus stand, but transportation hub to come up in Pumpwell

The Mangalore City Corporation has acquired 7.23 acres of land at a cost of Rs 7.5 crore for the construction of private bus stand in Pumpwell and the rest of the land will be acquired soon. The project does not aim at building a bus stand or a bus stop, but the Mangalore City Corporation has planned to develop it as a transportation hub.

Replying to many queries of the Corporators regarding the delay in the construction process, MCC Commissioner Dr K N Vijay Prakash said in the MCC general body meeting on Thursday that the plan has been laid for the transportation hub with foresightedness.

The plan has been laid in such a way that the bus stand will serve the need for another 25 years. Out of Rs 5 crore of the Chief Minister’s fund which has been reserved for traffic management, Rs 2 crore has been reserved for the construction of the Pumpwell bus stand. The fund will be utilised for the initial works, informed the Commissioner.

©DHNS
Old July 1st, 2011, 03:56 PM   #17
mangalore mania
Indian First

Likes (Received): 1847

Changes in NHAIproject sought

Quote:
The Mangalore City Corporation will ask the National Highway Authority of India to modify its ongoing four-lane work as it will affect the movement of vehicles into new bus-stand that is coming up near Mahaveera Circle.

Answering questions of the councillors at the meeting of the Corporation on Thursday, Commissioner K.N. Vijay Prakash said the four-laning of the highway did not provide options for entry and exit to the new bus-stand, which was being developed into a transportation hub. Mr. Prakash said the NHAI had been asked to modify the plan.

He said Rs. 2 crore was being spent for building the new bus-stand. About Rs. 3 crore would be spent on installation of CCTVs and so on.
The Hindu
Kadri I would request you to rename this thread in such a way that we can post all the articles related to all kind of transport system in around Mangalore. And you can put your opinion about it.

Changing from Enjoying the Mangalore's rise to Karnataka's Pride

Mangalore Forum
mangalore mania no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 09:37 PM   #18
s.yogendra

13 years on, pvt bus stand yet to become reality
Harigovind Mangalore, July 2, DHNS

Quote:
There is a story of an old man who has his own helicopter to fly, luxury car to roam but doesn’t have a pair of slippers of his own to walk around! Mangalore replaces old man in the real life example.

The coastal city has an International Airport at Bajpe, two railway stations, one in Hampankatta and other in Kankanady (one more with international standard is on the cards), New Mangalore Port at Panambur, but, we don’t have space for the basic transport facility, a bus stand.

In fact, not many Mangaloreans know that the present bus stand at State Bank is a temporary one! Though the Mangalore City Corporation (MCC) has identified a place at Pumpwell for a new private bus stand, the primary works including acquisition of land is still pending.

Temporary for 13 years

Interestingly, the temporary bus stand in the city has seen 13 rainy seasons, which is supposed to be a hockey field.

Till 1997, the private bus stand was in Hampankatta. As the bus stand could only accommodate nearly 50 buses, the then district administration decided to change it temporarily to the Central Maidan’s Hockey field. Since then, the place meant for sports is serving as so called temporary bus stand.

Dakshina Kannada Cricket Association (DKCA) Manager K B Pai said that sheer negligence by the MCC converted the playing field into a bus stand.

“At first, they said the bus stand is only for temporary period. But now it is more than 13 years. More than one decade is not yet enough for them to build a new one?” he questions.

Even though the search for new bus stand started long back, nothing has fructified. During the tenure of the then Deputy Commissioner Bharatlal Meena, sites were identified at Kottara, for buses coming from Udupi side, and at Mallikatta, for buses coming from Moodbidri and Karkala and from Bantwal. The Central bus stand was planned at Karangalpady after the proposed shifting of the district sub jail to some other location. However, for various reasons, the proposals couldn’t take shape.

Transportation hub

The MCC has finally decided to build a ‘transportation hub,’ which will accommodate all inter-city, intra-city, inter-state and intra-state buses near the NH-66 at Pumpwell (Mahaveera Circle). But the land for the same is yet to be acquired. So far, only 7 acres of land has been acquired out of an estimate 18 acres. The lack of fund is the major factor preventing the further progress in the work. “We have already purchased seven acres of land after spending Rs 7 crores. We require another 12 acres, that means another Rs 12 crores only for land acquisition,” said MCC Commossioner Dr K N Vijayprakash. MCC is trying to pool in money from other sources like KSRTC. “MCC has approached KSRTC to get financial aid in a way they can also be benefited. But so far, the response is not positive,” he added.

The proposed bus stand at Pumpwell is also facing another problem from National Highway.

The National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) which is constructing a four-lane road adjacent to bus stand, doesn’t have any entry or exit from or to the bus stand. If NHAI is not willing to change the plan, then the fate of bus stand will be in doldrums.

“The MCC has asked NHAI to re-draw the plan to accommodate an entry and exit to proposed bus stand. However, so far, there is no response from their side,” Vijayaprakash said.

Opposition

There are protests from some corners against the move to shift the bus stand. The bus operators and street vendors are against the decision of shifting.

“The present bus stand should be developed with facilities like waiting room, cloak room, toilets etc. Instead of killing the present bus stand, why can’t the authorities build other bus stands in Kulshekar, Kottara etc,” asked Canara Bus Owners’ Association President Rajverma Ballal.

He said that they are not supporting the move of Corporation as it is against the wish of common man. “Bus stand is for rural people. They are the one who should decide whether to shift it or not, and not the City people or Rotarians or Lions club people,” he added. He strongly opposed the reason for shifting (traffic congestion). “If you go to Bangalore and see the traffic there, you will surely change your opinion,” he said. Since 1993, there was no increase in the number of buses in the city. It is the KSRTC buses which enter into the city making the traffic horrible, if any.

More than 125 KSRTC buses are plying without permit, he alleged. As the required land is yet to be acquired, it will definitely take a few more years. The delay by the authorities concerned has not only denied Mangaloreans a good Hockey ground, but also better transport facilities.
concern MP should get the funds from government as Mangalore needs an Bus Stand/Trans. Hub and The bus operators and street vendors should understand that MCC is building this for better facilities to the Mangalore people and not to disturb them

©DHNS
Old July 5th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #19
kadri_007
Automobile Admirer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.yogendra View Post
@ Kadri the way you presented the information is superb
Thanks Yogendra, Hope to complete the remaining types of bus services soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer.akash View Post
Excellent Information and pics
Thanks Akash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay ramchandran View Post
Thanks a lot Kadri for informing me about this thread on PM. Infact I did not know . Nice to see restructuring of the thread.
Do you have any photos of those vintage buses of CPC ,Balllal(Dodge,Benz etc). Premnath Kudva might have a collection of photos.
Thanks Ajay, there are a few old bus pics. Getting old bus pics are very difficult since very few people may have these pics. It is difficult to identify who has these. But will try to get someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangalore mania View Post
Kadri I would request you to rename this thread in such a way that we can post all the articles related to all kind of transport system in around Mangalore. And you can put your opinion about it.
@ Mangalore Mania: There are specific threads for other form of transports like New Mangalore port, Airport, Railways which are linked to Mangalore. I have no objections on renaming the thread. Only Mangalore commercial vehicles are missing, rest of them are there. Else the other option is to start a new thread on other forms of transport.

This bus thread covers both Dakshin Kannada and Udupi district info, pics and news.
Old July 5th, 2011, 08:23 AM   #20
ajay ramchandran

Likes (Received): 472

Quote:
Thanks Yogendra, Hope to complete the remaining types of bus services soon.

Thanks Akash

Thanks Ajay, there are a few old bus pics. Getting old bus pics are very difficult since very few people may have these pics. It is difficult to identify who has these. But will try to get someday .
Premnath Kudva will have a good collection!
ajay ramchandran no está en línea   Reply With Quote