daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 27th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18168

hkskyline's 2010 XIAMEN, China Photo Collection

Xiamen is located along the southern coast in Fujian province. Despite being a special economic zone like Shenzhen, it is surprisingly laid-back, and pollution-free. In fact, Xiamen is one of China's most liveable cities. With the brillian winter sunshine and cool temperatures, I chose it to be my Christmas vacation.

Xiamen is actually very close to Hong Kong. The flight only took 40 minutes.

It was my first flight on a 757 as well.

One of the most remarkable sights in my aviation history is to enjoy a hot meal on such a short flight. It wasn't the best food in the industry but it was filling at least.

Xiamen's location is quite interesting. It is within viewing distance of one of Taiwan's outlying islands - Kinmen. Historically, it has seen more tense times, and war did break out between the two. Today, life is far more peaceful as these curious tourists look for Taiwan.

These mobile food stands were around to cater for hungry visitors. The cake looked interesting, but not really Chinese at all though.

A propaganda sign urging unification.

A new financial district is under construction in the eastern part of Xiamen. The streets are quiet while construction crews are busy working within numerous sites.

There is a wonderful spot just off Xiamen island to photograph the skyline. After paying a steep admission charge even by international standards, I got this place all to myself.

Xiamen is not a dense city at all. The sight of greenery, and good visibility, are all part of the city's livability.

Xiamen was a treaty port as well, meaning Europeans were in town in the 19th century and they have left their mark. They settled on the island of Gulangyu, where many European buildings have been preserved and restored.

The island is car-free, and has become a popular tourist destination these days.

The Japanese consulate was the site of an imprisonment camp during the war, and its tall trees give an eerie feeling that reminds us of its dirty past. How ironic a couple wants a wedding photo at the site where many of their ancestors perished in the Japanese invasion.

Built in 1905 after termites destroyed the old church, the Gospel Hall had over 800 foreign and Chinese members by the 1940s. It was used as a factory during the Cultural Revolution but returned to the Christians in 1987.

Hard to believe this building is inhabited, although after some basic renovations, it should be sparkingly beautiful again.

Street food - eat at your own risk!

Gulangyu is not just about old buildings from Europe. There are dedicated residential areas as well, and they need to find a market for food.

Being next to the sea, Xiamen has no shortage of seafood. At this restaurant, 3 dishes and 1 soup costs 25 yuan. A feast of 7 dishes and 1 soup costs 80 yuan. Dishes include noodles, fish balls, fried vermicelli, and seafood stir-fry.

More in the next part. The full set is on my website at http://www.globalphotos.org/xiamen.htm.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #2
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Cool!
Do you have some pics of the Xiamen BRT system?

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 05:48 AM   #3
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 3337

Very cool thread. I already though the low rise housing looked so European.

Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #4
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244485

Indeed very nice photos; well done
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #5
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Cool!
Do you have some pics of the Xiamen BRT system?
Unfortunately, no. The BRT runs in the outskirts on elevated tracks. I saw it but didn't have a chance to photograph it.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old July 5th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #6
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Like many Chinese cities, there is a pedestrianized shopping street that springs to life at night. However, Xiamen is not exactly a big nightlife city, since stores close fairly early around 9pm. Nevertheless, the buildings are lit up and the architecture is suspiciously Western.

Figurines made from flour - quite impressive!

There was a side street that had a lot of food stalls selling all sorts of warm foods. A bit skeptical of the cleanliness, I opted for photos over snacking.

Near the quieter end of the pedestrian area, there was another side street with food stalls, but a lot more cleaner with private stalls, but very few open restaurants. I guess people like to huddle around amidst others, smoke from the cooking fires, and food scraps on the ground.

The full set is on my website at http://www.globalphotos.org/xiamen.htm.

Old July 20th, 2011, 06:01 AM   #7
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Xiamen does have skyscrapers beyond the central cluster portrayed in the prior photos from Gulangyu. Here are a few sighted from an urban park.

This lady is washing her hair at a very open location.

Old July 20th, 2011, 07:33 AM   #8
DWest
DBest

Likes (Received): 412

nice photo set.
I like those boxy crapers.
DWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 08:54 AM   #9
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

Thanks for the nice photos....
Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:02 PM   #10
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Sea & Sky Palace comprises several buildings with both Western and Eastern characteristics, built by a Filipino Chinese.

Inside, exhibits showcase the Gulangyu's history.