daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 26th, 2011, 02:27 AM   #61
LOLhoff
Eingeborener

Likes (Received): 457

What I really enjoyed about Stokholm (apart from its beauty) is that - depending on the weather, which was pretty changing while I was there - you felt like you were in at least 3 different cities. For example the waterfront: when it was cloudy, I felt like in Hamburg along the Binnenalster. When it was sunny, it could have been the Cote d'azure or Geneva. Same (only with different comparisons) for Gamla Stan and Sergels Torg. Loved it!

Have you been to Millesgarden? Was also very nice.

Last edited by LOLhoff; September 26th, 2011 at 03:08 AM.
LOLhoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2011, 02:13 AM   #62
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3275

No...I was only for 4 days in Stockholm, so unfortunately I missed that.
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 01:00 AM   #63
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48597

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Seltsam View Post
No...I was only for 4 days in Stockholm, so unfortunately I missed that.
No excuse for that.. There is much more to explore both in Stockholm and Scandinavia. Don't miss that, if you can.
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 07:38 PM   #64
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 479

Thanks for these very professional photos of a very beautiful city. I have never really thought about visiting Stockholm in the past but having seen this site I can't wait to go!! Probably will try to get there this June when hopefully the light should be great and the days will cetainly be very long, which I love.
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:12 PM   #65
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

Lovely shots. A very attractive city!
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:07 AM   #66
Harold643
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

moderate...
Harold643 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 12:27 AM   #67
JMNostalgia
Nostalgia

Likes (Received): 23

Stockholm seems to be a truly beautiful city from what i've seen of it so far from these wonderful pictures. I am hoping to go next year and will hopely upload plenty of my own!

My blog: http://medieval-london.blogspot.co.uk/
JMNostalgia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #68
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLhoff View Post
What I really enjoyed about Stokholm (apart from its beauty) is that - depending on the weather, which was pretty changing while I was there - you felt like you were in at least 3 different cities. For example the waterfront: when it was cloudy, I felt like in Hamburg along the Binnenalster. When it was sunny, it could have been the Cote d'azure or Geneva. Same (only with different comparisons) for Gamla Stan and Sergels Torg. Loved it!
image hosted on flickr

Stockholm was influenced by the Hansa in the 1600's so the architecture of the old town feels a bit german. The South Side (Södermalm) is much more swedish with it's preserved wooden houses.

The Old Town is a major tourist attraction, many ferries arrive so Stockholm is a cheap weekend holiday destination for those living on the other side of the Baltic Sea. But have in mind that Copenhagen is by far the No1 tourist destination in Scandinavia.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #69
dj4life

Cheap? Actually, it vise-versa. For Swedish tourists it is cheap to take a ferry to any of the larger towns on the Eastern side and have a pleasurable stay there. While for the people that travel from the Baltic countries, Russia or even Finland it is not very cheap to travel by ferry and have a normal travel package including a not very luxurious hotel and etc.
Copenhagen? If they include all the passengers in the Kastrup airport, maybe yes. However, in reality the number of tourists is more or less equal. Stockholm has been a rising tourist destination for quite a long time and there is a reason for that.
Thank you for sharing a nice picture with us.
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #70
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4life View Post

Cheap? Actually, it vise-versa. For Swedish tourists it is cheap to take a ferry to any of the larger towns on the Eastern side and have a pleasurable stay there. While for the people that travel from the Baltic countries, Russia or even Finland it is not very cheap to travel by ferry and have a normal travel package including a not very luxurious hotel and etc.
Copenhagen? If they include all the passengers in the Kastrup airport, maybe yes. However, in reality the number of tourists is more or less equal. Stockholm has been a rising tourist destination for quite a long time and there is a reason for that.
Thank you for sharing a nice picture with us.
OK, a budget cruise to Tallinn,Riga or Helsinki is often advertised in the newspapers for as low as 10 EUR, the actual price is a bit more but still it's very cheap. If the people in the baltic have relatives or friends they could buy the tickets for them in Sweden if it's so expensive on the other side.

About Copenhagen: It's the most visited city in scandinavia, calculated by the number of hotel nights tourists stay in the city. Copenhagen has better international connections by air and train, so for the average tourist it's easier to get there.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #71
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244697

Great new updates from Stockholm; thanks again
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #72

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
Stockholm was influenced by the Hansa in the 1600's so the architecture of the old town feels a bit german. The South Side (Södermalm) is much more swedish with it's preserved wooden houses.
Some people says it's even more than that, that Stockholm´s rise as a real city was more or less planned by Germans for the sake of the Hansa during the end of the 13th century.

Or was my history teacher wrong?
10011 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 12:09 AM   #73
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4192

Stockholm looks more impressive and 'grand' than all other Scandinavian capitals together! I love this city.

Skrapebook liked this post
Thermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 01:38 AM   #74
dj4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo View Post
Stockholm looks more impressive and 'grand' than all other Scandinavian capitals together! I love this city.
You've got the point. Many tourists that I, personally, met were impressed and thought the same.

Happy New Year!
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:57 AM   #75
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

lovely pics...
Old February 1st, 2013, 12:39 AM   #76
UmarPK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 605

Awesome photos, what a beautiful and charming city and country. I may be visiting Sweden this summer, can't wait to make the journey. Hope the Swedish people don't mind a chap like myself visiting.

dj4life liked this post
UmarPK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 07:15 PM   #77
Adde

Likes (Received): 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10011 View Post
Some people says it's even more than that, that Stockholm´s rise as a real city was more or less planned by Germans for the sake of the Hansa during the end of the 13th century.

Or was my history teacher wrong?

Yeah, your history teacher was pretty much wrong. While the Hanseatic league was important for the growth of the city, the real reason for Stockholm becoming the most important city in Sweden is its location at the lock of Lake Mälaren. In early medieval Sweden, this region was the most urbanized part of the country, with towns like Sigtuna, Uppsala (which was the archbishopric of Sweden), Västerås, Enköping and so on. This meant that trade constantly moved in and out of the lake, and so Stockholm was the perfect place for a town in order to control that trade. There was also a pressing need to protect the towns around the lake from pirates and invasion. For instance, Sigtuna was sacked and burnt by slavic pirates in the 12th century. In order to stop this, the fortress of Tre Kronor was built, around which the city grew.
Adde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 03:39 AM   #78
Tourniquet
A Bahia é onipresente!

Likes (Received): 4917

Awesome photos. I need to come there noooow!!!
What to do in Stockholm in a winter weekend. There is a good nightlife inte city in winter season? One of my dreams is to see Avicci playing in the city, it must be amazing!!!

Skrapebook liked this post
Tourniquet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 01:23 PM   #79
aarhusforever
EU citizen

Likes (Received): 9118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo View Post
Stockholm looks more impressive and 'grand' than all other Scandinavian capitals together!.
...hmm..well, maybe not together ...but it most certainly is the most beautiful of them all ... and Gamla Stan is one of the most beautiful and interesting places in all the northern countries

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus

dj4life liked this post
aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
stockholm, sweden