daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 30th, 2011, 03:55 AM   #1
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

BANGKOK 2011: 'The Baddest of the Bad...

...the coolest of the cool'
Run-D.M.C. - King of Rock

No trip around Asia is complete without stopping over in Bangkok. Despite not being as well ordered and building all that crazy stuff as some Chinese mega-cities that can be found in my signature, it's arguably the most freakin awesome, vibrant, hottest, craziest, tastiest, sexiest and generally the greatest city on our planet! No joke. So it's Bangkok time again. Some places that I have already been to but also some that I haven't seen before. Thanks to our SSC Thai forumer Atom from Ayutthaya who took me around town and showed some less central but interesting locations.

First a short video clip I made with my camcorder

1. Suvarnabhumi Airport arrivals area. The Airport terminal was completed in 2007 and to this day remains one of the largest and most impressive airport terminals in the world. Designed by Murphy/Jahn (who also designed Berlin Sony Center, Guangzhou Leatop Plaza, Frankfurt Messeturm and many other impressive buildings) it is an impressive structure

2. After endless delays the Airport Rail Link was opened in 2010. You can take an ordinary train with a few intermediate stops (takes 30 minutes) or express non-stop service which takes 15 minutes but is more expensive. As an alternative you can take a taxi. Being a fan of rail and public transport I always take a train when possible. And I wasn't disappointed. The railway is excellent. Served by smooth and modern German Siemens Desiro trains similar to those commonly used in Great Britain

3. Airport train ticket machine. Upon payment it gives an RFID token which works exactly same as in metro trains around the world

4. Views from the train

5. Airport road exit joins Krungthep-Chon Buri Motorway which is parallel to the railway track and is used to go from the Airport to Bangkok.

Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2011, 03:59 AM   #2
Pansori
planquadrat

On the train from airport to Phaya Thai station in central Bangkok

We're going faster than cars

Old June 30th, 2011, 04:02 AM   #3
Pansori
planquadrat

Old June 30th, 2011, 06:12 AM   #4
Pansori
planquadrat

23. Phaya Thai station. Terminal station of the Airport Railway

26. BTS Skytrain Phaya Thai station

28. New BTS trainsets. These are made using Bombardier Movia platform and produced in China by Changchun Railway Vehicles company. The new trainsets have 4 cars compared to 3 cars used by the original Siemens trains which are still in service

Last edited by Pansori; June 30th, 2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old June 30th, 2011, 06:39 AM   #5
Pansori
planquadrat

31. Siam BTS station which is the main BTS hub where currently existing two lines intersect

34. Near Asoke junction
Old June 30th, 2011, 06:42 AM   #6
hackmanjkk

Likes (Received): 746

Old June 30th, 2011, 06:46 AM   #7
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3714

Nice pictures!
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 06:49 AM   #8
fragel

Likes (Received): 55

I liked your series very much, and this Bangkok thread is again so good that I feel like visiting the city myself. looking forward to seeing more pics.
Old June 30th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #9
Codename B
Detective

Likes (Received): 15612

I also like your series. You have great quality pictures. Keep 'em coming
Old June 30th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #10
dooonut
Zephyrus'

Likes (Received): 6

Very nice pictures )
dooonut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 02:20 AM   #11
Pansori
planquadrat

Thank you!

35. For the next batch of photos we're jumping to a slightly less central location not far from Don Mueang airport about 15km North from Siam shopping area. A new massive (and I mean massive) government complex has just been opened. Bangkok is trying to drive the "multi-center" strategy which should remove some governmental institutions and businesses from existing overcrowded central areas and so help sort transport problems and create a more balanced urban development pattern.

36. Everyone can enter the government complex. There are some shops, cafes and services. Looks a little quiet on an ordinary day but I guess it will take some time for things to pick up after more developments will get implemented around the area

38. Driving somewhere away from central areas of Bangkok...

39. A new (well, kind of) residential district. Looks nice and modern if not one "but": some of the buildings (residential and commercial) are abandoned and stand empty. The situation may be improving now but it is obvious that one of the main reasons for such a development failure was the lack of rail transportation connecting it to the central areas of the city. Bangkok has been a little late with developing metro and other urban rail modes of transport hence urban development hit some troubles. Situation is improving as new MRT and BTS lines are being constructed and planned for the future

42. Another new residential district.
Old July 1st, 2011, 02:38 AM   #12
Pansori
planquadrat

43. Impact Convention Center

44. Residential areas

45. Street views

Old July 1st, 2011, 02:42 AM   #13
Pansori
planquadrat

50. If I am not mistaken those concrete pillars on the left were intended for a never-built BTS Skytrain line. They are unlikely to be re-used as route planning has changed over years. The good thing is that expansion of metro and Skytrain is happening

Old July 1st, 2011, 04:06 AM   #14
hackmanjkk

Likes (Received): 746

oh. you went so for from the city. and i can see my condo in you photos. 5555++
Old July 1st, 2011, 04:18 AM   #15
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackmanjkk View Post
and i can see my condo in you photos. 5555++
What a coincidence.
Which one is your condo?
Old July 1st, 2011, 08:25 AM   #16
Wisarut

Likes (Received): 2532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Thank you!
36.-37. Everyone can enter the government complex. There are some shops, cafes and services. Looks a little quiet on an ordinary day but I guess it will take some time for things to pick up after more developments will get implemented around the area
Well, those shops, cafes and services are for those governemtn officials alogn with those who come to contact with goernment officials (i.e. immigration issue, tax issue and so on) so they don't have to go outside.

Quote:
38. Driving somewhere away from central areas of Bangkok...
Driving from Government Complex to Muengthong Thani via Chang Watthana road - the photo here is Chang watthana Interchange

Quote:
39. A new (well, kind of) residential district. Looks nice and modern if not one "but": some of the buildings (residential and commercial) are abandoned and stand empty. The situation may be improving now but it is obvious that one of the main reasons for such a development failure was the lack of rail transportation connecting it to the central areas of the city. Bangkok has been a little late with developing metro and other urban rail modes of transport hence urban development hit some troubles. Situation is improving as new MRT and BTS lines are being constructed and planned for the future
Muangthong Thani has been developped in early 1990's with a hope to attract those form Hongkong to come but it failed to attract those from Hong Kong who are now living in Vancuver or so.

However, it has been filled up with those teachers in governemtn schools and families of armed force personnels after Ministry of Defence alogn with SUpreme commander HQ have soem of their units to Muangthogn Thani and (later on) Government Complex.

The real magnet is IMPACT which have originally 8 units - the 9th and the 10th unit has been added later and the even bigger magnet is the Challenger which has been built on the old parkign lot site.

This has helped to raised the status of Pakkret municipal from Town to City. Nevertheless, some of condo units have never been finished ...

The main transport lien to link with downtown is North BKK expressway that connect with Srirat expressway at Chaeng Watthana. BMTA has fileld up with BMTA bus No. 166 and then the vans have used this expressway to link with downtown at Victory Monument ... so the proposed mass transit along the expressway (copied from Chicago in the 1960's) which is the original proposal of Expressway Authority in the 1970's has NEVER been realized at all.

Quote:
40.-42.Another new residential district.
That is what inside Muangthogn Thani includigng the old and unfinished buidign in 40. and finished building the route from Sukhothai Thammathiraj University to IMPACT in 41. and condo which have been done and sold to those who want to live in Maungthogn Thani area but cannot afford the single Suburb houses - BTW, there are lots of Generals, Admirals, and Air Marshalls and theri families becomign the residents of this subub villages within Muangthogn Thani though.

Muangthong Thani also have another connection with Chang Watthana road via Prachachuen road (a road in parallel with Prapa canal) as shown in 46.

After turngin left at Chaeng Watthana, you'll see Tesco Lotus on Chaeng Watthana road as shown in 47. and Big C. algoi nwith the sign to Bevery Hills (the old defunct Phongphet Market whic has been redevelopped as Bevery Hills village) as shown in 48.

After you pass Laksi Intersection shown in 49., you will see that DAMNING old relict of defunct Hopewell before reachign Wat laksi U.Turn shown in 50. ... Hope that JICA loan to creat the red line commuter will change all of that ...

After you turn left to Ngam wongwat at Bang khen intersection, you are headign to Kaset intersection as shown in 51.

In 52., you are gogin down form the tollway to reach Dailynews and Kasetsart U. (Vibhavadee side) though.
Old July 1st, 2011, 11:25 AM   #17
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Likes (Received): 452

Nice tour, I loved the video

Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 11:37 PM   #18
Pansori
planquadrat

Wisarut, thanks for your explanations. You surely know it all.
Old July 1st, 2011, 11:38 PM   #19
Wisarut

Likes (Received): 2532

^
YOU have passed very near to my home after all!
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:34 AM   #20
Pansori
planquadrat

The next destination: Crystal Design Center (CDC). CDC located about 15km from Siam is a large lifestyle, hi-end household and interior design shopping complex made of number of different stores including 40+ restaurants and area totalling about 100 000 sq.m. Currently it also lacks rail access but an MRT line is planned somewhere nearby. The buildings are designed by a number local and foreign architects

56. Exterior with naked concrete seems to be trendy these days

Tags
asia, bangkok, thailand