daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old October 8th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #181
Pansori
planquadrat
 
Pansori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London - Vilnius
Posts: 9,972
Likes (Received): 6909

Thanks very much all for your kind comments. I'm happy that someone enjoyed my photos


Quote:
Originally Posted by openlyJane View Post
What a full-on, vibrant city A great range of images. Great people photographs. Thank-you. I was a bit taken aback by the extent of the high-rises.
Thanks alot. Bangkok is indeed a very vibrant city. Regarding highrises, however, it is not THAT mch of a highrise city though. It certainly is so in the main CBDs of Sathorn/Silom and Skhumvit but elsewhere it is typically lowrise. Certainly less highrie than, for instance, Chinese cities of comparable scale (Guangzhou, Shenzhen etc.).
Quote:
It's a shame, though, that so many young women have to prostitute themselves to earn money to survive, and that it is a magnet for sex tourists and paedophiles.
This is a rather popular topic on Thailand. I would, however, dare to disagree on some of your thoughts. If anything, Thailand should be praised and not criticized for the progress its done in making this business more civilized and safe (including from HIV) over the past few decades. The worst possible approach, in my opinion, is simply banning and "hiding" prostitution making it look as a criminal act by itself. This is a shame and serves no good purpose. This is not the case in Thailand and, in my opinion, it's a good thing. People (well, men) will always want to use sexual services be it Thailand or Somalia and they will get it one way or another. In some countries this results in increased sexual assaults/rapes against women and/or bestiality... now that's something that should be worrying. The fact that it's been transformed into an easily accessible, well-developed and relatively safe industry is not a negative but rather a positive side of it.

Also, prostitution in Thailand is not more widespread than in any other East/SE Asian country. Only that Thailand despite being a developing and relatively cheap country has a fully developed (in some cases over-developed) general tourism industry makes it a very desirable as a general tourism destination. This means it gets more publicity than, say, Vietnam or Cambodia which in many cases still lack such essential tourism infrastructure as convenient road access or airports. Also, good situation of personal safety adds to that. Owing to this Thailand has become an extremely popular destination for foreigners who, of course help to spread the publicity including prostitution. This doesn't mean, however, that there is more of it in Bangkok than in Dongguan, Zhuhai or Sanya.

Finally the fact that someone is finding ways of earning more money without harming anyone is a good thing, not a bad one. Many of those girls instead of living in misery and only dreaming of having an own apartment or a car can actually have that thanks to their work by their free will (I'm not talking of illegal and forced work. Such cases are of criminal nature and should be punished accordingly). They earn it and this deserves respect. Just as their profession by itself. I wold never show or even think of disrespecting or in any other way diminishing a person employed in this kind of industry. It is the ignorance and unwillingness to see the bigger picture by some which is the bigger problem.

Last edited by Pansori; October 8th, 2011 at 01:10 AM.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #182
hackmanjkk
Registered User
 
hackmanjkk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BANGKOK
Posts: 1,811
Likes (Received): 743

Quote:
Originally Posted by openlyJane View Post
What a full-on, vibrant city A great range of images. Great people photographs. Thank-you. I was a bit taken aback by the extent of the high-rises.

It's a shame, though, that so many young women have to prostitute themselves to earn money to survive, and that it is a magnet for sex tourists and paedophiles.
i Understand if the foreigner think in this way. because for the tourist. When they come to Thailand they know only the tourist point. and ofcos the tourist point is full of that kind of service and that kind of people.

when tourist have seen like that they think the whole country is be like that becos they have never seen the other part.

why when they came to Thailand they see only that kind of people?

Becos at the tourist point.(in which full of courtesan) Thais who are educated and have a good job seldom to go there.(such as walking street in pattaya, Patpong in Bkk. even patpong is at silom road which are the business street of Bkk but the business man or office worker like us don't waste the time to visit.).
But if foreigner who came Thailand and they have ever came to the place like University, business area(come for real business) or living area where not the tourist point. they will see the very difference thing.
the tourist point where full of courtesan offering to the idiot tourist is a very small size of the country. please don't think most of us be like that. it's not fair for us.
__________________
Bangkok Urban Showcase.
hackmanjkk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #183
The seventh shape
Master of his domain
 
The seventh shape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,363
Likes (Received): 827

I would add something else about a misconception in OpenlyJane's comments. You say it's a pity girls have to do this to survive. But Thailand is not a very poor country and I doubt that girls turn to prostitution to survive. The can always get a job in a seven-eleven or something like that. They do it because they are poor and it's a lucrative business. They're not trying to survive but to fund a consumer lifestyle. The idea that prostitutes do this kind of thing out of desperation I guess is a bit of a myth, it's just the temptation of fast money.
The seventh shape está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #184
Codename B
Detective
 
Codename B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,826
Likes (Received): 15580



According to BangkokPost, they can earn at least 8000 Baht a day! that's about 240.000 baht a month or 7.784 US dollars!

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/heal...-workers-urged

-------------------------------

The prostitutes in Thailand (both registered and unregistered) makes up less than 0,3% of the whole population.

The fact that the media is portraying Thailand as a prostitution filled place is truly unfortunate because not only does it portray a narrow segment of life in Thailand, but it pushes beyond and tarnishes an otherwise wonderful image of a country and of its people.
We're used to it already.. unfortunately
__________________
-Noblesse Oblige-

Last edited by Codename B; October 10th, 2011 at 09:00 PM.
Codename B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #185
hackmanjkk
Registered User
 
hackmanjkk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BANGKOK
Posts: 1,811
Likes (Received): 743

sorry to continue this
watch this video.
if foreigner do this wrong thing . you will get free Thai massage

__________________
Bangkok Urban Showcase.

Last edited by hackmanjkk; October 10th, 2011 at 05:59 PM.
hackmanjkk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #186
RaySthlm
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 835
Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Thanks alot. Bangkok is indeed a very vibrant city. Regarding highrises, however, it is not THAT mch of a highrise city though. It certainly is so in the main CBDs of Sathorn/Silom and Skhumvit but elsewhere it is typically lowrise. Certainly less highrie than, for instance, Chinese cities of comparable scale (Guangzhou, Shenzhen etc.).
.
Bangkok is very much a skyscraper city, it is on spot number 5 as the city with most highrises.
RaySthlm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #187
Pansori
planquadrat
 
Pansori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London - Vilnius
Posts: 9,972
Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackmanjkk

i Understand if the foreigner think in this way. because for the tourist. When they come to Thailand they know only the tourist point. and ofcos the tourist point is full of that kind of service and that kind of people.

when tourist have seen like that they think the whole country is be like that becos they have never seen the other part.

why when they came to Thailand they see only that kind of people?

Becos at the tourist point.(in which full of courtesan) Thais who are educated and have a good job seldom to go there.(such as walking street in pattaya, Patpong in Bkk. even patpong is at silom road which are the business street of Bkk but the business man or office worker like us don't waste the time to visit.).
But if foreigner who came Thailand and they have ever came to the place like University, business area(come for real business) or living area where not the tourist point. they will see the very difference thing.
the tourist point where full of courtesan offering to the idiot tourist is a very small size of the country. please don't think most of us be like that. it's not fair for us.
Well off local men go to the massage places in Ratchada area, right?
Not that there's anything to pity about that. I'd rather pity those who don't do that.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #188
The seventh shape
Master of his domain
 
The seventh shape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,363
Likes (Received): 827

Thanks for the video hackmanjkk, hilarious. What an ***hole hitting a girl like that.
The seventh shape está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #189
openlyJane
Human Being
 
openlyJane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 31,663
Likes (Received): 43409

Hackmannjkk

No, don't worry. I know that Thailand is a beautiful country. I used to have a shop which sold, amongst other things, Thai antiques and artefacts. I would like to visit Chiang Mai.
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 01:18 AM   #190
seldomseen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston
Posts: 883
Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by openlyJane View Post
Hackmannjkk

No, don't worry. I know that Thailand is a beautiful country. I used to have a shop which sold, amongst other things, Thai antiques and artefacts. I would like to visit Chiang Mai.
As popular as the Red Light District in Thailand is it's equally as robust in the likes of Amsterdam, Hong Kong, Manila, Las Vegas, etc. People flock to SE Asia for it's sex trade because it's cheaper. If a person travels to Thailand solely for the sex trade they're missing out on 99% of what the country has to offer. Keep in mind that simply dating in the US, EU, AU, UK etc is similar to prostitution itself---when you think about the amount of money that men spend on dates just for the end wish of having sex. Child sex??? C'mon it's rampant in the high income nations. Thailand simply gets a much worse rap on this issue than it deserves while other countries fly under the radar.
seldomseen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 01:23 AM   #191
seldomseen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston
Posts: 883
Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackmanjkk View Post
sorry to continue this
watch this video.
if foreigner do this wrong thing . you will get free Thai massage

Dang were those chicks lady boys?? They had some power behind those kicks!!

Google Translation:

แดงเป็นผู้ที่สาวประเภทสองลูกไก่? พวกเขามีอำนาจที่อยู่เบื้องหลังเตะที่บาง!

Last edited by seldomseen; October 11th, 2011 at 07:49 PM.
seldomseen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #192
cokecool
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Trang
Posts: 70
Likes (Received): 0

ดีครับ
cokecool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #193
seldomseen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston
Posts: 883
Likes (Received): 119

Pics of Bangkok never get boring!
seldomseen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 07:48 AM   #194
Linguine
leisure cook
 
Linguine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bacolod Uptown East
Posts: 11,914
Likes (Received): 3939

Nice updates...
__________________
Bacolod: "Culinary destination par excellence"
Linguine no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
asia, bangkok, thailand

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium